Smoking at the doors por Bruno Gracia, en Flickr

Passion Bus! por Bruno Gracia, en Flickr

Jun 03, 2013 at 08:44 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.662 #2 · p.662 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

sebboh wrote:
yeah, the rokkor handily beats the two fast range finder 50s in sharpness and contrast at infinity. in the corners the rokkor is sharper at f/1.2 than the lux is at f/5.6. i would chalk it up to the trouble with rangefinder lenses on the NEX-7 except that i threw the 40 cron into the mix too and it did much better despite being more likely to have corner issues on the NEX-7 on paper. the jupiter-3 is actually sharper in the center at f/1.5 than the lux at f/1.4 but that changes a lot at f/2 and below where
...Show more

Yep - that Rokkor is a great lens. If you can, you may want to compare the 50lux pre-asph E46 version. It renders much differently than the E43 which I think you own. Lately, I have been leaning more towards lenses with unique character over absolute sharpness.

Jun 03, 2013 at 12:57 PM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.662 #3 · p.662 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Michael, another cool set! Congrats on the lens. IF you are interested, send the 58 1.2 to me for testing, I'll buy an adapter and test it out for you on the M240 The airport shots with the 50Lux ASPH looks really sharp. I think you have two nice sets of 50s for different occasions, sharp or smooth plus you have other other R glasses, cool setup.

ohh, Gary, you give me GAS with that Nikkor 105 2.5 ltm Excellent shots, they all look really nice and sharp too!

Gary Clennan wrote:
Lately, I have been leaning more towards lenses with unique character over absolute sharpness.

+1

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:22 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.662 #4 · p.662 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Ron, zhangyue, and Joe

zhangyue it's the FLE

Everytime I see your stuff Joe, I miss color more and more

Very nice Gary 2nd for me

Very nice zhangyue, I avoid airports like LAX

CVickery love the window light chair, doesn't look distorted to me

Edward love the chair fabric shot, Im tempted to get a M9 now

Joakim lovely mood on the landscape, no. 2 rocks (few dust bunnies noted 2nd )

Leonasg very nice colorful shot of the young lady, OBEY

Allen unique signature work as always

Phil

If anyone has a M9 for sale or partial trade, PM me

Jun 03, 2013 at 01:58 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.662 #5 · p.662 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice work guys - a couple of recent shots

M9 + 50 planar

M9 + 25mm Biogon

Jun 03, 2013 at 02:23 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.662 #6 · p.662 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Metal one! I prefer it's look and handling. That is part of the reason I choose zeica!

+1

Gary Clennan wrote:
Yep - that Rokkor is a great lens. If you can, you may want to compare the 50lux pre-asph E46 version. It renders much differently than the E43 which I think you own. Lately, I have been leaning more towards lenses with unique character over absolute sharpness.

really? i had always heard that vII and the e46 version were the same optically and it was just mechanical differences to update the look feel and mfd.

from the pictures i've seen they seem to have the same slightly swirly cat's eyes bokeh, focus fall off, and contrast characteristics.

i agree about absolute character over absolute sharpness, otherwise the contax g 45/2 is the only normal lens i'd need. i'd gotten used to my character lenses sharpening up enough for landscape by f/11 though and the lux and jupiter never do.

i've been meaning to do a portrait comparison between them all for a while but have been having trouble getting a subject to hold still long enough. from general use i'd say they are all about equal for cool character but with slightly different looks at portrait distances.

Jun 03, 2013 at 03:15 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.662 #7 · p.662 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

the e43/46 summilux have heavy field curvature that will cause massively unsharp corners on APS-c. on a full frame camera they come back up to acceptable levels. the field curvature is even apparent in the 10 and 20 lp/mm graphs, the latter dropping below 60% at it's lowest point.

I dont think Leica have ever envisioned any of their 50mm lenses and landscape lenses other than the new 50 APO ASPH and the original Elmar. if you want to shoot a scene with everything in focus on an RF, I think the 50 planar is actually your best bet if your goal is consistency over absolute sharpness. to be fair, I dont know what happens if you actually focus it for center sharpness, because it seems like Zeiss measured it in such a way that they maximized the area under the mtf curves rather than hit the absolute highest in the middle. it might be worth checking out.

as far as SLR vs RF lenses on the m240 goes, I think the only reason we havent seen this is because, as Roger Cicala said in his M9 vs M240 with 50 Lux ASPH article, there seems to be an issue with setting the thing up for the imacon tests. Which infuriates me =/ Like some of you, I wanted to see those results (well, at least the ones for 50mm lenses) VERY badly. Honestly I cant understand why Sony cant release a test body with the A99 chip and just strip out the AF, modes, AE, etc.

Jun 03, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.662 #8 · p.662 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

sebboh wrote:
+1

really? i had always heard that vII and the e46 version were the same optically and it was just mechanical differences to update the look feel and mfd.

from the pictures i've seen they seem to have the same slightly swirly cat's eyes bokeh, focus fall off, and contrast characteristics.

i agree about absolute character over absolute sharpness, otherwise the contax g 45/2 is the only normal lens i'd need. i'd gotten used to my character lenses sharpening up enough for landscape by f/11 though and the lux and jupiter never do.

i've been meaning to do a portrait comparison between them all
...Show more

I think the e46/e43 differences are fairly insignificant but they were still enough to make me choose the e46. These are a few traits of the e46 when compared to e43:

1) Produces slightly more contrast
2) Shorter focus throw
3) Pull out hood
4) Shorter MFD
5) Smoother bokeh in the images I have seen. Subjective of course...
6) Different coating - more flare resistant
7) Weighs a fair bit less

Having said this, I would still be happy to use either version. Don't know if it is true but I have heard from quite a few that the e46 renders a little bit like the Noctilux. It is now one of my most used lenses...

Jun 03, 2013 at 04:04 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.662 #9 · p.662 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
I think the e46/e43 differences are fairly insignificant but they were still enough to make me choose the e46. These are a few traits of the e46 when compared to e43:

1) Produces slightly more contrast
2) Shorter focus throw
3) Pull out hood
4) Shorter MFD
5) Smoother bokeh in the images I have seen. Subjective of course...
6) Different coating - more flare resistant
7) Weighs a fair bit less

Having said this, I would still be happy to use either version. Don't know if it is true but I have heard from quite a few that the e46 renders a little bit like the
...Show more

Gary are you sure your e43 wasn't a version 1 (pre 1961), those are the ones that are supposed to be optically different.

Jun 03, 2013 at 06:43 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.662 #10 · p.662 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I have not owned (or tried) any e43 versions before. This is all based on what I recall from my research on the net a while ago.... Maybe someone else here has tried the Ver.1?

Jun 03, 2013 at 08:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.662 #11 · p.662 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I think I tried the v.1 at the Munich Leica store a while ago... I liked it, but it was also early in my Leica learning curve so would be difficult to really compare notes against the second version. I think I posted a couple photos with it comparing some other 50s a couple hundred pages back.

Jun 03, 2013 at 08:56 PM
swoop
• • •
p.662 #12 · p.662 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

From a Brooklyn Bridge photo walk I guided the other day. All with M9 and 35mm 'cron v4.

Jun 03, 2013 at 11:19 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.662 #13 · p.662 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary, love the purple flower shot with the ZM35/2
zhangyue, great airport shots and lighting with your kids looking out the windows.
Joakim, loving your landscapes, especially the B&W versions.
Allen, great abstracts recently!
jojomon11, fantastic shot of the statue
Joe, the colour in that tricycle shot is amazing, as is the flare on page 704
Ron, love the early morning light in the airport, especially the 1st shot in your second set.
swoop, great shot of the moving taxi

Been getting to know the M, very impressed so far. My keeper ratio went way up when I got my Thumbs Up and took the EVF off. It's good for anything that's not moving, but IMO you just can't beat the RF.

M + Voigtlander 28/2

L1000938 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1000888 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1000645 by ryankarr, on Flickr

M + Noct @ 0.95:

L1000790 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1000793 by ryankarr, on Flickr

MM + 75mm Lux:

L1009324 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Jun 04, 2013 at 12:13 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.662 #14 · p.662 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Ryan, glad you are enjoying your M240, an excellent set from you, love the colors on #2 and those precious moments captured of your son!

Jun 04, 2013 at 01:21 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.662 #15 · p.662 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ryan they all rock but really like the first one.

Edited on Jun 04, 2013 at 08:50 PM · View previous versions

Jun 04, 2013 at 01:21 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.662 #16 · p.662 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
I have not owned (or tried) any e43 versions before. This is all based on what I recall from my research on the net a while ago.... Maybe someone else here has tried the Ver.1?

According to my copy of Erwin Puts Leica Compendium, there were only two optical formulas. V1 and V2. 50Lux V2 (1962-2004) has a different optical formula compared to V1 (1957 to 1961). V2 has E43 version (from 1962) and was replaced with V2 E46 pre-ASPH (0.7MFD) in 1995 until it was replaced by 50Lux ASPH. The optical formula for Summilux 50 V2 E43 and E46 are identical. Some also call the E46 version 3. The classic "rendering" of the 50Lux is actually over 50 years old, not bad huh?

Jun 04, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.662 #17 · p.662 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Really nice set Ryan. I am loving my M240 as well.... Just a note that those flower pics were with a ZF35. I found this interesting character last Sunday.

Nikkor 10.5cm f/2.5 ltm

Jun 04, 2013 at 04:45 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.662 #18 · p.662 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary - interesting character indeed!
Ryan - excellent set! Love #2 and the last one.
Welcome swoop!

I found the post from back in Dec. 2011... I think it was a 50 Lux v1. Anyway, the guy at the Leica store said it was really more a collectors' lens, perhaps because it was insanely priced, well over 2000 Euro. I didn't shoot much with it..

50 Lux v.I:

50 f/1.5 Summarit:

50 Lux ASPH (cropped a bit for framing consistency):

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:15 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.662 #19 · p.662 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

redisburning wrote:
the e43/46 summilux have heavy field curvature that will cause massively unsharp corners on APS-c. on a full frame camera they come back up to acceptable levels. the field curvature is even apparent in the 10 and 20 lp/mm graphs, the latter dropping below 60% at it's lowest point.

yeah, i've seen this on some of the other older fast leica m's. the 35 lux pre-asph actually starts to improve again at the very extreme aps-c corner.

redisburning wrote:
I dont think Leica have ever envisioned any of their 50mm lenses and landscape lenses other than the new 50 APO ASPH and the original Elmar. if you want to shoot a scene with everything in focus on an RF, I think the 50 planar is actually your best bet if your goal is consistency over absolute sharpness. to be fair, I dont know what happens if you actually focus it for center sharpness, because it seems like Zeiss measured it in such a way that they maximized the area under the mtf curves rather than hit the absolute highest
...Show more

i actually have this covered already with my contax g 45, which is actually sharper over the aps-c frame then the zm 50/2 (according to zeiss i didn't do a head to head comparison when i tried out the zm). i don't particularly like either of those lenses for anything other than landscape or trying to maximize 3D pop though too harsh for my taste (not really a zeiss guy). i'd really like to find a nice compact ~50mm that has nice character for portraits but is sharp across the frame by f/11. i have a few of these in slr sizes, it seems more elusive in rangefinder land.

redisburning wrote:
as far as SLR vs RF lenses on the m240 goes, I think the only reason we havent seen this is because, as Roger Cicala said in his M9 vs M240 with 50 Lux ASPH article, there seems to be an issue with setting the thing up for the imacon tests. Which infuriates me =/ Like some of you, I wanted to see those results (well, at least the ones for 50mm lenses) VERY badly. Honestly I cant understand why Sony cant release a test body with the A99 chip and just strip out the AF, modes, AE, etc.

i actually am not much interested in the imatest results, i don't find them terribly informative for what matters to me. i would like to see side by side comparisons of some slr and m lenses on the m240 because i've always been curious how much the look of certain lenses was a result of the m9's AA free sensor and processing.

joe88 wrote:
According to my copy of Erwin Puts Leica Compendium, there were only two optical formulas. V1 and V2. 50Lux V2 (1962-2004) has a different optical formula compared to V1 (1957 to 1961). V2 has E43 version (from 1962) and was replaced with V2 E46 pre-ASPH (0.7MFD) in 1995 until it was replaced by 50Lux ASPH. The optical formula for Summilux 50 V2 E43 and E46 are identical. Some also call the E46 version 3. The classic "rendering" of the 50Lux is actually over 50 years old, not bad huh?

thanks, that is what i thought, but my source was ken rockwell who isn't so dependable for other brands but seems to be a good source for leica.

rscheffler wrote:
I found the post from back in Dec. 2011... I think it was a 50 Lux v1. Anyway, the guy at the Leica store said it was really more a collectors' lens, perhaps because it was insanely priced, well over 2000 Euro. I didn't shoot much with it..

ah, i remember that post now. the lux v1 bokeh looks very different from what i would expect the v2 i'm shooting to do in that situation it would produce more cat's eye shaping to the oof highlights and have less bright ringing. you v1 sample does look similar to some of the bokeh funk i've seen in pics from the f/1 noctilux to me actually, at least shape wise.

Jun 04, 2013 at 06:39 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.662 #20 · p.662 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Very nice work from everyone and many thanks for your comments Joe, Ron, Zhangyue, Phil...

I was hoping to show some Sonnar 85 samples this week, but as it turns out, DHL sucks. My lens has been sitting for 5 days at the customs and I suspect an intentional delay by DHL as they charge 10$ per day for storage.

Moral of the story: European companies suck. Americans are the best

Jun 04, 2013 at 09:21 AM
1       2       3              661      
       663              1382       1383       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              661      
       663              1382       1383       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password