Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              659      
       661              1077       1078       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.660 #1 · p.660 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Jabberwockt: really like the variety of those images, particularly the lines in the first.
Allen - very nice!
Michael - great clean feeling with the high contrast of these!
Ryan - the dramatic tones of your recent building photos have been very effective and great one at the end of the set of your son (also shown above in ct8282's post). Regarding the lighting set-up at the photographers' meeting, that was put in place by Rob, the host, and was a trio of continuous output studio lights to brighten the room for print viewing. It made it that much easier to photograph, though still wasn't super bright at ISO 640 1/125 @ f/1.4. Some of the images are pretty indicative of how well the 21 Lux tolerates bright light sources within the frame with minimal flare or overall contrast loss.
Thanks Joakim! 21mm is a favourite of mine and after many years I've become fairly proficient with the focal length.

Edward - a queston for you and your ZM35/2: would you say it's sharp wide open at infinity, or do you see some glow in the image? I did an infinity set for the RX1 comparison and I'm not sure the lens is focusing all the way to infinity and has some glow wide open, which pretty much disappears by f/2.8. I also found that it's definitely front focusing wide open. It's difficult to hit correct focus at about 15-20m.

Wayne's comment about the RX1 & the battery is spot on, at least based on my outing yesterday. I got fewer than 100 shots over the span of about two hours before the camera kept shutting down because of the nearly dead battery. But I also rarely turned it off and had the sleep setting at one minute. I'm sure turning it off while not in use will help. Looking at the battery - it's tiny, so no wonder. The lack of an included charger is definitely a poor decision by Sony considering the camera's price point.

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:16 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.660 #2 · p.660 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, I will take an infinity shot comparison tomorrow but definitely the biogon has some glow wide open.

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:42 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.660 #3 · p.660 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, if you test it carefully esp at MFD, you will found it has focus shift. Infinity at F2, it has about same center performance as my 35cron V1, but sharp coverage is less. After f4, it pulls ahead but difference is small only at extreme corner so I sold it in favor of leica build and handling.

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:32 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.660 #4 · p.660 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

P657

Joakim, nice to see more ZM18mm sample's and it looks like your snow is melting too!

Edward, really good images from the c-sonnar. (both sets) I especially like the first one in the 1st set.

Gary, the roof on the church sure looks familiar. Did you use cornerfix or something else?

Ryan, nice family shots! Your second set with the 21 'lux are super!

Wstam, B&W is a better conversion.

cmr0385, welcome!

P658

Michael, love the 50'lux images! Nice street shots in your second set.

Jabberwockt, great to see some 35mm hexanon shots. Is it the UC version?

Edward, great street work - as usual!

Ron, Thanks for posting the images from the RX.

P659

Edward, The biogon shots are great! Love #3!

Ron, I wished that I could make it, next time for sure. Looks like a fun get together.

Jabberwockt, the Hexanon seems to have a very smooth bokeh at distance.

airfrogusmc, I am liking the band shots, lots of "grain" too!

Michael, good clean night shots, I like #3

Andrew

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:23 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.660 #5 · p.660 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

More from the shoot with Ron. The train station is Union Station in Toronto, which is undergoing a massive renovation and expansion.

Which one do you like better?

Again, which one do you like better?

More to come.

Andrew

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.660 #6 · p.660 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great shots everyone! No way to keep up with the fast moving thread
Michael, love your style of PP'ing and compositions!
Ron, love the comparison with the RX1 and M9/35's! I have not had the time to test side by side, and in reality I take the RX1 as it is, a great camera to go, and in low light! It has taken few years, where I actually now appear in shots, with the RX1 Excellent work with the comparison and your thoughts here.
Allen, great variety of street shots!
Ryan, really love the last series of images. Shot #1 is superb!

Edward, excellent shots with the 50 Sonnar and 35 Biogon. Favorite is the one of the monk with Sonnar!
Andrew, really nice series again! Love the color rendering of the first shot with 75 Lux

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:15 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.660 #7 · p.660 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew Gough wrote:
Gary, the roof on the church sure looks familiar. Did you use cornerfix or something else?

The church is the Munster Cathedral in Basel, Switzerland. You can climb up some sketchy, rickety old wooden stairs for a nice view at the top. I was lucky and got a bit of sunshine in the otherwise dreary weather. I tried to use Cornerfix (first time) but I couldn't seem to get the output I wanted. I will try to develop a profile myself which should make things look much better. I like the first one of the two (stairs pics), and the second shot of the building pics. That 50lux pre-ASPH (E46?) looks to be a great performer in your hands.

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:20 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.660 #8 · p.660 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sweet work, Andrew.

Your qus: 1. the second of these, better balance, smoother tones - I would crop the black thingy from the bottom; 2. the first of these, much better, building uplooks with no ground context can be disturbing, depends what you want to achieve though. cheers. PS how does the construction site look in BW? A crop to the right to remove the bright ground might help, the reflection is a strong element, and it may balance the workers/site on the left better. just an idea.

Mar 11, 2013 at 02:53 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.660 #9 · p.660 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew, thanks for the reminder, I still have some photos from our meeting to post! Of the two pairs in question, I think I like the first of each better. I agree with Philip that the shot of the buildings looking up without any ground reference doesn't work as well for me as the straight-on shot.

Edward and Michael - thanks! The RX1's Sonnar is pretty impressive. No glow wide open, though there is some pretty strong purple fringe or CA in some high contrast transitions. Stopping down at infinity, it seems the Sonnar has some mid zone MTF dip similar to some Luxes, where even at mid apertures it's just shy of being as sharp as the center and edges.

Thanks Charles. I'm really starting to like the RX1. I'm doing the comparison more so as another 'public service' for those curious about how it stacks up against some M glass. There have been some comments along the lines of 'for another $1,000-2,000 you can pick up a used M9 and a ZM lens instead.'

More from my meeting with Andrew, this time around the Toronto City Hall area:

90 Summarit (I liked the starburst )

28 Cron:

Mar 11, 2013 at 03:16 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.660 #10 · p.660 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Some great shots guys. Particularly like all the black and whites and the starburst.

Andrew, I dont have the UC version. I am using the 8 element 7 group version. When I bought this, there was very little info online about this lens. What limited info is available online says that this was a redesign based on a new optical formula and was released in 2001. Bokeh seems to fall somewhere between good and passable in most situations.

Mar 11, 2013 at 04:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • •
p.660 #11 · p.660 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Jabberwockt, love the first shot from the previous page

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks Charles. I'm really starting to like the RX1. I'm doing the comparison more so as another 'public service' for those curious about how it stacks up against some M glass. There have been some comments along the lines of 'for another $1,000-2,000 you can pick up a used M9 and a ZM lens instead.'

You are right! Extra 1 or 2K, a used M9 and ZM lens is a great choice. The DR and low light ability of the RX1 still continues to amaze me. IMO, I don't feel the RX1 is a replacement for the M series, but makes for an amazing companion to the M9/M-M. I must say, I don't feel the rush to get the new M240 now, as the RX1 does most of the low light work for now Love the star burst in the first shot!

Mar 11, 2013 at 06:39 AM
tulaev

p.660 #12 · p.660 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

http://www.focus-numerique.com/test-1634/compact-leica-m-bruit-electronique-12.html

Mar 11, 2013 at 09:02 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.660 #13 · p.660 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew and Ron, very nice sets!
Andrew, #4 and #6 are excellent, live the light.
Ron, #1 is my favorite.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.660 #14 · p.660 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, Zhangyue, Andrew, Charles, thank you so much!

Ryan, very dramatic architecture shot. Love your son's portrait with the chocolate smudging
Zhangyue, very nice set. Well done!
Andrew, beautiful set. 1, 7 and 10 are my favourites.
Ron, fantastic first shot with the starburst.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.660 #15 · p.660 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, as promised, I shot the ZM 35 wide open and at f/2.8 at infinity. I added 100% crops from the center.

F2 by edward karaa, on Flickr

F28 by edward karaa, on Flickr

F2 center by edward karaa, on Flickr

F28 center by edward karaa, on Flickr

I wouldn't shoot landscapes with the Biogon wide open, but there are no reasons whatsoever not to shoot it at f/2.8.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.660 #16 · p.660 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew Gough wrote:
More from the shoot with Ron. The train station is Union Station in Toronto, which is undergoing a massive renovation and expansion.

Which one do you like better?

http://www.planetwidephoto.com/_images/FM/PLW92020.jpg

http://www.planetwidephoto.com/_images/FM/PLW92021.jpg

Andrew I really like these and I think that they could work side by side as a diptych.

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:07 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.660 #17 · p.660 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
http://ronscheffler.com/samples/fmm9/20130206/20130206_0276.jpg

I love the reflected light in this.

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:09 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.660 #18 · p.660 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Good work everyone.

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:09 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.660 #19 · p.660 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Andrew, GREAT photos. I like the first one better, I think because the person is a little more prominent.

Ron, that's a great starburst and no associated flare! Also like the complexity of #3.

Another trip to the science centre yesterday, great place for kids.

L1006054-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1006028 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1006014 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Mar 11, 2013 at 01:40 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.660 #20 · p.660 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, 2 and 3 are simply fantastic!

Mar 11, 2013 at 05:07 PM
1       2       3              659      
       661              1077       1078       end