Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              658      
       660              942       943       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.659 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

sebboh wrote:
superb in resolution at infinity. i've rarely seen any non-landscape shots with it that i enjoyed the rendering of. i sincerely doubt it was one of the zeiss lenses designed for pleasing portraits.

I somewhat agree with the above, with some reservations. I believe the Biogon is designed for excellent performance at infinity, and as a very sharp reportage lens, with an extended DOF and well defined bokeh. It definitely is not designed for pleasing portraits. The Planar 50 and especially the C-Sonnar are much better in this respect.

A few old Biogon shots to illustrate my point:

M9 + ZM 35/2 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:26 AM
joakim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.659 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward, I like the b&w set with the Sonnar and the second one is a favorite where the cat in the corner really makes the photo for me. Also good examples of what the Biogon can do.
Allen, great framing in the photo of the two women in the café.
Michael, I like the last one from St Augustine.

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:03 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.659 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8383/8467881779_784a5cfdbf_b.jpg

Great image

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:20 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.659 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thank you Joakim and ct8282!

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.659 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward - I also like that second last shot too. Cooler colors which really add to the photo.

Ron - many thanks for doing this testing, it is much appreciated. I will be interested to see the results...

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:28 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.659 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

ct8282 wrote:
Great image

+1

that was one of my favorites from that street series.

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:37 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.659 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thank you very much Gary and Sebboh. Greatly appreciate your kind words.

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:41 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.659 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Yes, great shot!

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:58 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.659 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

+1 on that shot Edward.

as far as the 35/2 ZM Biogon goes, I like the bokeh. Nervous/sketchy OoF is my cup of tea though; I <3 tessars and several other lenses other people think have terrible OoF rendition. the RX-1 looks fantastic though! back to the biogon; optimized for mid aperture and mid distance definitely sounds like the typical ZM characteristic. they do make great general purpose lenses for this reason.

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:12 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.659 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks guys. I'll try to be as definitive as possible. But that will likely have to wait a few weeks until I can get the RX1 back and also find a time in Andrew's busy schedule for a meet-up. In the meantime, I'll do my best with the 3 35s I have on-hand.

Michael - I believe you! Interesting variety from the streets of St. Augustine.

Edward - very nice examples from the 35/2. I agree with your summary. Unless someone's looking for specific rendering characteristics, the ZM is going to be a good all around lens, just as pretty much any decent lens nowadays. It's just us here on these boards splitting hairs that probably notice these subtleties.

Philip - the RX1 is a pretty impressive package. It's not perfect and suffers from a bit of the NEX UI of somewhat cramped controls. I realize Sony was going for as small a package as possible, but if they'd have made it 1cm longer and taller, with a better thumb rest, it would fit my hands much more comfortably. IMO, the M camera size is about the perfect proportion because I can rest all of my righthand fingers on the body. None slip off the bottom, etc. The only thing Leica needs to do for future digital Ms is make them thinner. Might be difficult though due to the sensor package thickness. Instead of typing this I should be out shooting right now but we'll see how the Sonnar lens fares at various distances. After only about 20 shots yesterday, some inside at quite close distances, my feeling is the lens has a very clear and well rounded rendering at such ranges. If you're primarily a 35mm lens shooter, this could be a very difficult camera to resist, primarily because of the Sonnar lens.

I forgot I do have some recent M9 images to contribute. Last Saturday my longtime friend Rob Skeoch of the Rangefinder Store hosted a photographers' meet-up at his store/studio. Rob also runs Big Camera Workshops, an online shop dedicated to larger formats and B&W materials, and I think most of those attending were more from the large format side. Some interesting images were shared and I did the following with the 21 Lux, other than the first one with the 28 Cron:

An RX1 in action:

That's Rob on the right flipping through photos:

One attendee brought a Widelux:

Showing and discussing photos:

Tim, the guy in the gray sweater at right, brought these interesting prints:

From a bit of a distance, you'd think they're photos of moons and planets, but instead they're fossils in rocks captured at extremely close range with a circular fisheye lens - very neat effect!

Another fellow showed photos printed on various types of expired B&W papers. The sepia photo in hand here was from 1960s paper stock and had a cool fogged quality to it:

Dominik was a late arrival with a very impressive portfolio of large Epson 4800 prints from various cameras ranging from large format B&W scans to Pentax 645D, Sigma DP2M and Panasonic GH3.

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.659 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thank you Carsten, Red, Ron for your comments.

Ron, very nice set. Amazing performance from the 21 Lux!

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.659 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, thanks for doing the test, look forward to seeing more results.
Edward, great photos as always, that shot with the shellfish really pops.

All with the 35mm M-Hexanon around F/2.8

Some people walk their dogs, this gentleman here was walking his pet snake

Edited on Mar 10, 2013 at 02:58 AM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:49 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.659 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Great stuff as usual around here. Ed you're rock'n.

zhangyue what killer color a while back

Ron the 21 lux is a lens I lust for....

Jabberwockt I really like the shadows and perspective

A buddies band sorry if posted these already. Horrible light.

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:23 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.659 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks so much Ron, for the real world look at RX1 usage. I will investigate the little Sony grip thingy at some stage. And the Gariz (think it is called) half case for a better grab at the body and the eye candy factor.

I often shoot in places that really demand three things: great high ISO output (therefore exc wide open or near to it, therefore top class bokeh, one thing leads to another), small and indiscreet form factor and silent/low vibe operation. The one eye operation looks pretty good too, helps to see what is going on around you. cheers.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:08 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.659 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thank you very much Jabber, Allen for the compliments

Jabber, the first shot is really difficult but the exposure, framing and PP are flawless. Love the snake shot too.

Allen, very nice band shots. There is some noise visible but it's not distracting. In fact I personally do not mind noise and I think it looks natural in low light.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:45 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.659 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Man I'm behind in this thread:

zhangyue, love the concert shot
airfrogusmc, love the symmetry and contrast of shot #2
Jabberwockt, that cathedral shot is great, also like the mood and dramatic lighting of the candle shots
edward, the first shot in B&W is great, I love the sense of empty space behind him
Ron, that looks like a good time. I appreciate the strobes used to boost ambient. I just ordered a Series 8 dark red filter from Rob yesterday, always a great guy to deal with.
Jabberwockt (pt 2), I like the lines and strong shadows in your sepia shot

MM + Noct + Dark red filter:

Three Buildings by ryankarr, on Flickr

MM + 90AA:

L1005909 by ryankarr, on Flickr

MM + 35 Cron:

L1005554 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1005538 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:45 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.659 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

philip_pj wrote:
Thanks so much Ron, for the real world look at RX1 usage. I will investigate the little Sony grip thingy at some stage. And the Gariz (think it is called) half case for a better grab at the body and the eye candy factor.

I often shoot in places that really demand three things: great high ISO output (therefore exc wide open or near to it, therefore top class bokeh, one thing leads to another), small and indiscreet form factor and silent/low vibe operation. The one eye operation looks pretty good too, helps to see what is going on around
...Show more

Philip, I told you before that the RX1 with excellent DR, high iso IQ, and silent shutter, it is perfect for your type of shooting. Just need lots of batteries. I have not bothered with any lens comparisons because I know the Rx1's lens is better than my ZF35/2, rather be shooting instead.

Mar 10, 2013 at 06:44 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.659 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward, nice set to 'show off' you ZM. I like the portrait as well in additional to clam shots. But the jittery Bokeh can still be seen at corner. TBH, almost all Leica 35 Summicron have similar behavior at f2. My 8 elements has the same issue. In that regard, I give RX1 credit for its lovely rendering.

Ron, nice set, must be a fun event. I will wait for your comparison. Again, I agree Lens difference has really small impact on image artistic value itself if not for us alt rendering seeker.

Airfrog, I enjoy these two BW shots very much. I start dreaming about this 35lux fle. I use to think it is not that good (at least for landscape) because of Luka(denoir)'s demonstration, but realize this lens(fle) has awesome performance even stop down compare to pre-fle.

Andy, nice set, #1 is my fav.

Ryan, the first one is outstanding. I bet at full size it will be even better.

Here are few more from that night from SF. all 50lux WO.

Mar 10, 2013 at 07:24 AM
joakim
• • •
p.659 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, interesting reportage and I am very impressed both with how you use the 21 lux and the lens itself. It feels more like watching photos taken with a 35 mm or something.
Jabberwockt, first one is great.
Allen, first on works well for me.
Ryan, the first photo is excellent and how can you not like the second one.
Michael, I like the colour versions but the b&w has to much black in them for my taste.

Mar 10, 2013 at 07:55 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.659 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

[

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8105/8544194698_df651e43d1_b.jpg
L1005538 by ryankarr, on Flickr

People talk about that 'Leica look'. If there was a picture that demonstrates it, this is it.

Mar 10, 2013 at 09:25 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password