Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              657      
       659              1027       1028       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.658 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice Michael. Is your 50lux the E43 or E46 version?

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:37 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.658 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Nice Michael. Is your 50lux the E43 or E46 version?

ASPH

Mar 07, 2013 at 06:44 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.658 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I see. I thought you had a pre-ASPH.... You don't have more than one - do you??

Mar 07, 2013 at 07:01 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.658 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
I see. I thought you had a pre-ASPH.... You don't have more than one - do you??

It is in my shopping list because I have 50lux R around the same age as PRE-ASPH, which I like a lot.

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:11 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.658 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

This thread not only moves fast its got some killer work form everyone and so varied...Love this place. Thanks again everyone for the inspiration.

Ryan thanks and IIRC its was like 2.8

Mar 08, 2013 at 04:12 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.658 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Michael, the 50 lux pre is definately a lens i'd like to own one of these days as well.
CMR, i like the shot of the couple, nice touch shooting it upwards perspective wise.
airfrog, i like how everyone in that shot is immerse in their own world.
wstam, i like the bw version better, but i dunno why.
Ryan, that last shot of your son is great. I keep stopping at the Nocti shots even before i read the text to see what it was taken with.
Edward, the sonnars rendering is definately unique, sometimes i would if i shouldn't have sold mine.
Gary, i like the black and white shots, i suspect the 2nd shot has a great amount of detail at bigger sizes.

Here is a random touristy shot that i did locally, i was testing my gear for an upcoming trip, so i played tourist.
35mm M-Hexanon somewhere around F2.8 i think - tried the ISO160 method, was skeptical, but it seems to work, this is with +2.3EV

Second one also with the M-Hexanon but wide open - grain and faux film look added in post

Mar 08, 2013 at 06:48 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.658 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you so much Joakim, Zhangyue, Jabber, Gary for the nice comments!

Gary, nice b/w shots especially the CV 15.

Ryan, 2, 3, and 4 are fantastic. Great job as usual.

Zhangyue, the concert shot is absolutely perfect. Love it.

Allen, very nice coffe shop photo with the heavy rain in the background and the mundane scene.

Jabber, love no. 2 with the warm colors and background blur.

Edited on Mar 09, 2013 at 03:02 AM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2013 at 12:41 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.658 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

M9 ZM 50 C SONNAR by edward karaa, on Flickr

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:33 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.658 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice pictures, Edward..It seems you "clicked" with the sonnar. You also did show off some fine sonnar pics a while ago.

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:58 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.658 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you frezeiss. Most appreciated. I'm still trying to figure out the C Sonnar. It is a finicky lens but does have a nice rendering.

Mar 08, 2013 at 03:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.658 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Love this series Edward and thanks but snow out that window...YUK....

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:23 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.658 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:53 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.658 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hey guys, haven't had much in the queue to contribute lately... Lots of great stuff from everyone else though!

I got ahold of a loaner RX1 for a few days, along with a ZM 35/2 and plan to run a bit of a comparison between the two. I will also throw in the ZM35C and the CV35/1.2 II on the M9. Unfortunately I don't have any Leica M series 35mm lenses and Andrew isn't currently available to offer his vast inventory.

For the time being, here are a few snaps around the house just before it got dark. Sorry, these are handheld, so framing is only approximately similar and focus might be slightly different as well:

Tell me which is which. I'll make it easy for you with the first one!

After only a few images, my initial impression is RX1's Sonnar is it's slightly wider and definitely sharper wide open at very near distances where the ZM has a fair amount of SA. Distortion though is worse from the Sonnar:

The ZM feels like it has better background blur, or shallower depth of field. Not sure if some of it is due to slight focus mismatches though, as the ZM appears to slightly front focus on my M9. The Sonnar though has calmer background blur and a feeling of more roundness and form to out of focus objects.

Also just an FYI that the files have had minimum PP in LR. Primarily WB adjustment to get each set fairly close. Some might also have minor exposure and/or curves adjustments. No clarity, saturation, etc.

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:16 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.658 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Hey guys, haven't had much in the queue to contribute lately... Lots of great stuff from everyone else though!

I got ahold of a loaner RX1 for a few days, along with a ZM 35/2 and plan to run a bit of a comparison between the two. I will also throw in the ZM35C and the CV35/1.2 II on the M9. Unfortunately I don't have any Leica M series 35mm lenses and Andrew isn't currently available to offer his vast inventory.

For the time being, here are a few snaps around the house just before it got dark. Sorry, these are
...Show more

the first one (which i'm assuming is the zm) has terrible bokeh in these close up shots. for these types of shots i definitely prefer the second camera/lens. i await the landscape test where i expect things to be reversed (though whether that will be noticeable at internet sizes remains to be seen.

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:11 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.658 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, you could save me a lot of $$ if the 2nd one is not the RX1.

Some of the preference for the 2nd image in each set is down to greater colour control, realism and presence. See the trolley wheel in the last lot, top one is lost to strong blue hues and almost looks painted, the bottom one has that real world gun metal blue with lots of transitions corresponding with tonal changes. You can even see the depth showing behind the wheel and in the brickwork, but not in the first. The green shed is another example, the step rail, etc.

A lot of what is seen here looks to be camera processing rather than lens character. I could not live with the frenzied, segmented, contrasty bokeh and crude colours of the first in the set. The brickwork mortar bokeh looks like it is becoming detached from the wall. The other one looks very Sonnar to me, integrated bokeh uninterrupted by sharp edges. Even has better tonal separation inside the bokeh. And thanks so much for these...

Would enjoy any others you can post, at say f5.6 over short to medium distances.

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:55 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.658 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Derek and Philip, yes, the second is the RX1. FWIW, I don't mind the bokeh of the ZM much of the time and as you can see in the stairs and car shots, it really depends on what's in the frame. Sometimes the differences are rather subtle. And when it's subtle, I sometimes prefer the stronger edges of the Biogon. But if I had to choose one of the two, I'd go for the Sonnar, just as I would probably pick the 50 Lux ASPH as my only 50mm, if I could have only one.

While the M9's sensor and colour handling likely isn't as great as the Sony's sensor, I'm not yet convinced the difference you see in the brickwork of the last set is not due more to the lens. The Sonnar seems to have better contrast and retention of shape, especially at close distances. The Biogon has a lot of SA at this distance, which affects the overall look. This image might not be a good comparison of sharpness because the ZM is probably slightly front focused, whereas the RX1 nailed the water nozzle.

I plan to do some proper on-tripod testing over the next couple days at various distances and through most of the aperture range. I'll write it up on my blog with links to full-rez files, just as I did with the 21mm lens comparison. There are a few other shots I didn't even bother posting because at web-rez the subtleties between each camera/lens was mostly lost after downsizing.

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:20 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.658 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, This is easy, the first one is Biogon, those Bokeh are signature of Biogon and a bunch of Leica Summicrons' especially close to corner. Hope I don't get burned! I look forward to see more from you. I am not surprised you will find RX1 has very good 35mm there. But, last week, I handle it again at sony store and really can't love it any how. I want to see how you like/dislike it in addition to IQ. But I also handled A99 and RX100, NEX7, NEX6. A99 is a ugly camera and really missed NEX7 after handle one again. I will see how NEX7n going before go to FUJI side.

Edward, Very nice set. Look that cat eyes. The first portrait also nice.
Airfrog, you captured te moment.
Andy, the 2nd one is really nice.

Here are a bunch get inspired by street spirit of this thread. from FL St, Augustine.

Edit: Ron, you answer too quickly. I am not cheating, we post it at the same time or I am writing at the time you post.

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:31 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.658 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, I know nothing of the ZM range, am totally ignorant, but residual SA is maybe intended for other subject matter? I took a look at the Biogon's chart, it is obviously superb.

That first shot is a tough test. Oh, a water nozzle, I wondered what it was.

I am becoming a little irrational about the RX1, I want one because it just seems to make fine images much of the time, in a lot of different hands. I am always looking for an edge, after doing this a long time. It's not perfect, I am not keen on the bolt on EVF. See if you can find its weaknesses for us ;-) And any comments from experienced shooters are always of interest, look forward to your review.

It is better close up and at short distances - MFD-20m say - but no one has yet done a decent comparo with other high end lenses for much different distances and apertures. From the RX1 MTF chart (computed but still indicative), it ought to be killer at f8 at its ideal focal distance at least.

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:56 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.658 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

philip_pj wrote:
Ron, I know nothing of the ZM range, am totally ignorant, but residual SA is maybe intended for other subject matter? I took a look at the Biogon's chart, it is obviously superb.

superb in resolution at infinity. i've rarely seen any non-landscape shots with it that i enjoyed the rendering of. i sincerely doubt it was one of the zeiss lenses designed for pleasing portraits.

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:09 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.658 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Zhangyue, Allen, thank you for the comments!

Allen, that's a nice shot with Attitude!
Zhangyue, beautiful street shots. What lens?
Ron, thank you very much for the comparison. I think the ZM is front focusing as you say. Mine does that too, and I believe it is usually calibrated for 2.8 as it has a minimal but clear focus shift. I usually shoot it slightly back focused at f/2. This said, except for the first shot, I prefer the ZM rendering. The first shot is the worst case scenario of ugly bokeh. I have seen similar photos before and I avoid shooting this way.

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password