1       2       3              657      
       659              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

redisburning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.658 #1 · p.658 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Edward,

measuring sharpness between the 50 Cron and the 50 Planar is a waste of time, IMO. but, there are differences to the lenses in terms of overall look and I think the Summicron's drawing is a bit less traditionally pleasant which is something I like.

the summilux asph is something different entirely, it really gives you the impression it's a telephoto or even 645 near wide open in a lot of cases. Ive heard its a pretty substantial departure from the double gauss formulation, though tbh I dont know that much about optical formulas.

I am hoping someone comes up with a good solution to mounting the m240 on an imatest machine. I really, really, really want to see how the M 50s compare to the SLR 50s on equal footing (and not aps-c or 4/3 which is literally the last thing in the world I care about)

May 30, 2013 at 01:59 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.658 #2 · p.658 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Phil, Edward

Phil, both 0.95 and f1.0 shots look great. Looks like a martian has landed on the second shot The 35FLE shot looks so different - sharp and modern. Excellent shot!

Edward, the tests you linked are similar to what I am seeing on my 50Planar, the last bit of detail seem to be missing but overall macro contrast looks great, probably losing out on the 30-40 l/mm detail compared to the 50 ASPH? (I don't know what I am talking about, just trying to act smart ). Could also be field curvature which I am experiencing since I have only shot it at f/2

-----
CV 50 1.1 wide open and f/1.8

f/1.1

May 30, 2013 at 03:51 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.658 #3 · p.658 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Love your son's shirt Joe!

May 30, 2013 at 09:23 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.658 #4 · p.658 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

A cool street performer....

50lux pre-asph e46

May 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.658 #5 · p.658 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Gary Superb shot with the E46! 50 pre-ASPH rocks!

May 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.658 #6 · p.658 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Love rendering shot of your son Joe

Gary cool street shot, is that a guy or gal?

Phil

May 30, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.658 #7 · p.658 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks guys. Phil - yep, it is a girl....

50lux pre-asph e46

50lux pre-asph e46

May 30, 2013 at 11:11 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.658 #8 · p.658 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joe, I concur about your son's shirt

I remember having read somewhere that the lux has a higher resolution than the planar, but suffers from wavy FC, which means the sharpness will depend on where your subject is positioned in the frame. Probably the planar is better for landscapes.

Gary, very nice street performer shots.

May 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.658 #9 · p.658 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for all the comments.
Phil, Hold on that 0.95, get to know it. I like what you have done with it and I have seen many beautiful shots from it from net. If people say 50lux can simulate MF look, this one can go even further. I envy you.

We all know Edward is Zeissman, please don't say Zeiss lens is not good to him, lets do PM

Edward, you are right about FC of Leica 50lux ASPH. I did several test before at infinity, as mentioned early I can clear see 50rigid outperform 50lux at some FC zone in resolution/contrast, vise versa. That is contribute my initial disappointing with 50lux, but to be honest, I like it more and more. Just because I really put a very high expectation to it initially. Until people in this thread (include myself) starting point it out minor flaw of this famous 50lux ASPH, elsewhere, you can only see raves about it, nothing else.

Joe, 50, f1.1 is a very underrated lens. I have to say it has great potential, just somehow, I never really like it. I guess it is lack a red dot and a Letter start with 'L', people are very tolerable with heavy Leica lens, but not others.

Here are few samples of 50mm f1.1 at night. My princess is still little. Time past fast.

All WO

May 31, 2013 at 12:33 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.658 #10 · p.658 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Joe, I concur about your son's shirt

I remember having read somewhere that the lux has a higher resolution than the planar, but suffers from wavy FC, which means the sharpness will depend on where your subject is positioned in the frame. Probably the planar is better for landscapes.

Gary, very nice street performer shots.

The Planar has old-style sharpness characteristics where it's sharpest centrally and the edges catch up as you stop down. If you're doing stopped down landscapes, then either will work, but obviously the Planar is a lot less expensive. The Lux ASPH has pretty impressive sharpness across the frame wide open, especially for distant scenes - useful if you find yourself shooting a lot in low light and wanting that across frame performance. I think it's just at the very edges of the frame where there's some strong FC (based on some test images by Michael recently). But it does have that wavy MTF curve that affects mid zone resolution, which to my eyes becomes more bothersome stopped down a bit. It seems, like many of the Lux ASPH lenses, it's a matter of shooting wide open or stopping down a lot to avoid the mid zone wave. But compared to the 21 Lux, the 50 is much tamer in this regard and I'm really impressed with it at 2-2.8 for 'real world people photos' because it's blazing sharp, if you need that. In any case, I find it's somewhat annoying to find the correct point of focus with it for portraits where the subject's eyes are not dead centre. Back when Adam tried out the 50AA, he indicated this was one aspect where the AA was definitely easier to use than the Lux ASPH, and IIRC, this was also confirmed by Hilmar.

Nice work with the 50/1.1 Joe and Michael. Is it me or does it seem this lens doesn't transition to OOF as abruptly as some of the other super fast glass? I don't really get the feeling from it that it's faster than 1.4.
Gary - looks like a fun event!

Adding some photos...

M9 & 135/4 Tele-Elmar (another borrowed lens ):

Canon 50/1.4 LTM:

The 135 is nice... a bit lower contrast (some of the above have had contrast added) but seems sharp. Biggest challenge is RF focusing and this lens seems to front focus with my camera, so need to tweak it on the fly.

May 31, 2013 at 01:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

joe88
• • • •
p.658 #11 · p.658 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for the kind words everyone

Gary, wow, those two shots looks crisp. Excellent!

Yes, Zeissman is the boss I actually like the ZM50P, given how much it cost compared to the other Leica 50s, I am keeping it. Haven't had a chance to make prints but I suspect that unless you are printing A2+ (22x17) or larger, it would be hard to tell between these lenses, especially if stopped down. 50Cron AA is always desirable as in many other Leica lenses.

Micheal, those 50 1.1 shots of your daughter looks great! They all grow too fast, cherish the moments. I looked at both those pics first, before reading your text and I agree with Ron, the background blur seems more like a f/1.4 lens and this is in line with my own experience and what I have seen and read elsewhere. I think the 50 1.1 excels firsts and foremost as a low light lens. Not really suitable for extreme shallow DOF in daylight, too much coma if shot in color and also background can be caffeinated at times. But it is a true f/1.1 lens and sharp from wide open. In lower contrast scenes, it really excels. Considering it cost 1/10 of a Nocti 0.95, I think Cosina did a wonderful job.

Ron, 135 tele-E looks great. Renders really nice on those 3 shots. Wow, the Nippon Summilux 50 continues to impress! Beautiful. Considering keeping both these lenses or adding to your vintage kit?

------
An alternate take with the 50 1.1 wide open

And this shot in color @ f/1.1 with ND filter just confuses me,

Its actually really sharp at the center (on the face) but the edginess of the background ruins it for me.

---------
A few more with 50 pre ASPH. #1, #4 wide open, #2 f/2, #3 f/4

Flare on #4 was how I saw it in the EVF. Had a UV filter attached.

and one with the Leitz 135 Elmar @ f/4

May 31, 2013 at 08:38 AM
dalegaspi
• • •
p.658 #12 · p.658 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Not very scientifical, but I like this test by our fellow member Dexter:

http://www.subtleimages.net/leica-m-50mm-sharpness-comparison-in-studio/

and 35 biogon:

http://www.subtleimages.net/leica-m-35mm-lens-sharpness-comparison-in-studio/

haha...thanks for the plug, Ed!

my 2c...the ZM50 and ZM35 are really tough to beat...considering these aren't using aspherical glass...especially the 35ZM...how it easily beats the 35 Summicron ASPH is mind-blowing (i tested 2 copies of the ASPH)...

the only reason I sold them is because i already got the 35 FLE and 50 ASPH and i'm really trying to restrain myself from collecting glass lol

May 31, 2013 at 09:28 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.658 #13 · p.658 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

That's very funny guys!

Zhangyue, the first portrait is superb!!!!

Ron, thanks for the info. I really like no.1, 4 and 5. No. 5 looks like an octopus

Joe, also the first portrait is just amazing! Love it! As for the Leaves shots, my favourires are 1 because of the central composition and the swirly bokeh. It almost looks like the whole image is spinning around the tree branch. And also no. 4 because of the crazy light rays, beautiful!

PS: you're welcome Dexter

May 31, 2013 at 09:28 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.658 #14 · p.658 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Yup it's a girl

zhangyue I plan on keeping it , Ive reached my GAS limit now , nice shot of your daughter, love the comp and the mood of the second

Ron that first one rocks awesome

Joe no. 2 and 3 for me those colors really pop out, love the rendering of 2, I bet your son moves around allot

Going to use my Mono and Canon 5cm LTM exclusively this weekend and see how it works for me, will post some later

Phil

May 31, 2013 at 09:51 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.658 #15 · p.658 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joe - great portraits and love the flare! Thanks for answering the question I had: did you see it in the EVF or shoot via rangefinder and get a nice surprise?

M9 & Canon 50/1.4 LTM except #2 with 21 SEM

May 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.658 #16 · p.658 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, your green is still one of best I ever seen. I found this type of scene quite challenging for PP. But they looks beautiful here.

Joe, #3 is great. I have a similar shot below. BTW, PMed about Zeiss X glass (I am joking, sorry , Edward)

50cron Rigid f2.8?

50cron BW

May 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.658 #17 · p.658 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Michael - I agree with you about the challenge with green. Some of these have had the green/yellow desaturated in the 20-30% range, particularly the 50mm shot of the ferns. It seems to depend a lot on the light quality/color.

May 31, 2013 at 01:15 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.658 #18 · p.658 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes. It's certainly great to have my M9 back again!

Gary, nice set with the street performer
Michael, I like the second portrait of your daughter
Ron, the 135 tele-elmar looks like an interesting lens. The 21 SEM definitely plays in a different resolution league than the Canon but still a nice set, specially #3 and #4.
Joe, great b&w portrait of your son and the flare shot is cool.

May 31, 2013 at 01:58 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.658 #19 · p.658 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Today was the first possibility for me to try the ZM 50 Planar.

May 31, 2013 at 02:06 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.658 #20 · p.658 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

M9 + Biogon 25mm

May 31, 2013 at 04:40 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.