FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              656      
       658              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.657 #1 · p.657 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Zhangyue and Joakim, thanks for the comments!

Joakim, 1st shot is outstanding. Love the yellow moss on the rock.

Zhangyue, the color combinations in the second shot are amazing. You are very right that the ZM 50 planar and ZE 50 MP share a lot of their "signature", in the same way as the C-Sonnar 50 and the ZE 50 planar. I shot most if not all of the sets above at f/2.8.

May 29, 2013 at 05:24 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.657 #2 · p.657 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Edward, Phil, Michael

Phil, if you have the funds, I suggest keep the 0.95 and get an older f/1.0 like the one you already had. Different.

Edward, another excellent Zeiss set! Love it!! Your shots and pp look great as they are, no need for further clarity adjustments in my opinion. The skin tones on some of your recent portraits are beautifully rendered. Instead, I should ask you for advice.

Joakim, #1 with the 28Cron is stunning! Congrats on the new lenses and looking forward to your Zeiss impressions on the M9.

Michael, another nice set. Really like the fist shot with the 35Cron Is that a helicopter in the middle of the frame? The 50Cron Rigid seems to have a more gentle rendering, nice in a different way.

edwardkaraa wrote:
Joe, I really would like to know what kind of PP did you do on the Planar images. They seem to pop out of my screen. I suspect you used the clarity slider?

PP in LR4. Increased overall contrast but I use adjustment brushes to burn and dodge, with local clarity on the area I want more pop (except for skin), also sharpening and masking, slight desaturate on yellows and greens, and finally brush off unwanted highlights I think I need to try Photoshop at some point. Was always put off by the initial purchase price, but now with the $20/month model, it could be worth a try?

This was the DNG out of camera for one of the pics

----
A few more ZM50P for Edward

May 29, 2013 at 06:00 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.657 #3 · p.657 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Wow, Joe, you really know how to make the planar sing! I guess we will see more guys buying this lens soon

You do quite a lot of adjustments in LR. I only adjust WB and a bit of contrast as the default setting is quite flat in the latest 2012 process. Nothing else, I'm a purist

May 29, 2013 at 06:19 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.657 #4 · p.657 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

The last 4 images from last Sunday shoot. The 3rd shot cost me 20 baht "donation" but it was money well spent

M9 + Zeiss 50 Planar by edward karaa, on Flickr

May 29, 2013 at 06:21 PM
TAGfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.657 #5 · p.657 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

After much perusing of this thread over the last few years I'm happy to finally join it.

M9 + ZM50

May 29, 2013 at 06:50 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.657 #6 · p.657 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Oh, another planar user!!! Welcome to this thread TAGfan Very cute shot.

May 29, 2013 at 06:53 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.657 #7 · p.657 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Very nice Edward! I agree with Joe, the skin tones in many of your images look perfect on my displays. I really like the light in the second above and is there a story to the persons in #3? I.e. aboriginal, etc.?
Michael: very bold colors!
Joakim: congrats on the new lenses. The first one also really stands out for me.
Welcome TAGfan - very nice! Wow, a sudden ZM50 resurgence - great to see!

It's easy to forget just how good the ZMs are after not using mine for a while. I think what bugged me with my copy of the 50/2 was not hitting infinity from wide open and needing to stop down past f/4, but still the corners lagging a bit. As a result I typically shot it f/8 and smaller. With the 50 Lux ASPH I find it's good at pretty much everything at all apertures - in other words, I don't need to think about it too much while shooting. Could just be my ZM50 needs some calibration. I really like it a lot on the GXR and NEX.

Joe, the Canon 50/1.8 looks nice and enjoying your ZM images too! Depending on the OS and hardware you're running, you can try CS2, which is available from Adobe for free. They shut down the activation servers for it, but still provide it on their site, though you'll have to set up an Adobe account if you don't already have one. I believe they state you're supposed to have bought a copy originally, but there doesn't seem to be any effort to confirm this. It's the last version I installed on my systems directly from disk and never bothered to upgrade because I felt it pretty much did all I needed. If you're running Macs, you need hardware that supports PPC code via Rosetta, which I think means 10.6 or older. Considering the cost of CS6 or maintaining a subscription indefinitely, it might be worth getting CS2 and keeping around an older computer as your PS workstation instead.

Ryan: that's definitely a nice 'station wagon.' Seems there are a few Audi drivers in this thread...

Lake Erie & 50 Lux ASPH:

May 29, 2013 at 06:53 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.657 #8 · p.657 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, thank you very much for the comments.

Beautiful set as we expect from you The first shot is very powerful. I like it the most. As for my 3rd shot, it's just a weird character wearing some kind of theatrical wig.

I think your planar needed a visit to Zeiss for calibration. Too bad you sold it.

May 29, 2013 at 06:58 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.657 #9 · p.657 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Edward - I still have the Planar! Yes, probably should send it in, but too lazy. Anyway, I can't sell it, considering it's a great value for the price among modern 50s... and I somehow added a 1cm long scuff to the front element coating a while back... Probably happened back early in my M9 days when I thought of the lenses as 'pocketable' by literally carrying them in my coat pockets (stopped doing that in pretty short order).

Some more 50 Lux ASPH:

May 29, 2013 at 07:06 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.657 #10 · p.657 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
I think your planar needed a visit to Zeiss for calibration. Too bad you sold it.

I second what edward said. May sound like hyperbole but the zm50 is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever seen wide open.

May 29, 2013 at 07:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.657 #11 · p.657 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, I really like no. 3

What a horror story with the scratch. One more reason to send it to Zeiss. They might be willing to polish the front element and recoat it for you, for the price of a new lens I would recommend to send it to Oberkochen if it's feasible for you. These guys are great, and most of the time, they do repairs for free even on out of warranty lenses. They calibrated my ZM 25 and 35 to perfection.

May 29, 2013 at 07:17 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.657 #12 · p.657 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Oh, another planar user!!! Welcome to this thread TAGfan Very cute shot.

I was going to say the exact same thing! You Zeiss guys are going to force me to buy more glass. I have to up my 50mm lens count to keep up to Joe. Welcome aboard TAGfan - looking forward to seeing more from you!

May 29, 2013 at 07:18 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.657 #13 · p.657 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for the welcomes - and here's another with the ZM50. Naughty dog!

I'm actually expecting the biogon 25 in tomorrow, so Ill be out and about shooting with it.

May 29, 2013 at 07:24 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.657 #14 · p.657 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Edward and Ron! I agree the ZM50P is a great value considering its price and the way its designed with macro contrast pop, I think almost everyone will like the look from this lens, apart from the Leica purist. From my 1 hour with it so far, it does seem to lose out on some finer micro contrast or resolution compared to saya 50Lux ASPH or 35FLE, but this is just first impressions and I could well be wrong. Built quiality seems average when compared to my Leica lenses, but at least it is light.

Edward, another excellent Zeiss set! #3 with the man is superb! Your minimalist approach to pp works well. I think we also need to give some credit to the Zeiss glass and M9 CCD sensor for the pop?

Tagfan, congrats! Nice shots and cute pooch. Hope you'll hang around and share more pics soon. Another ZM50P user, Edward would be proud of us

Ron, excellent sets as always. Let me guess, #3 on the first set was with the 50Lux ASPH? Initially I thought #4 was 2 pics a 6x6 square crop and another smaller picture below. #1 and 2 are my favs on the 2nd set. Thanks for the PS2 tips, will check it out over the weekend. I'm still with Windows. We have a Macbook air at home but after 12months, I still find it too complicated

-------
Here's some fun test with the 50 1.0 from wide open to f/8. Past f/2 its even better but probably boring since 95% of users who buy this lens have it glued to f/1.0. tripod and DNG out of camera.

f/1.0

f/1.4

f/2

f/2.8

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

focus test and 1:1 crop

f/1.0

f/1.4

f/2.0

starts to backfocus somewhat past f/2.0 and DOF catches up at f/5.6
f/2.8

f/4

f/5.6

f/8

and here's a comparison at f/1.4 between Nocti 1.o and 50 pre-ASPH

It looks to me, 50pre-ASPH has more contrast but the Nocti has a somewhat shallower and smoother out of focus rendering?

Edited for spelling

Edited on May 29, 2013 at 08:32 PM · View previous versions

May 29, 2013 at 07:57 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.657 #15 · p.657 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Joe and Phil are on a 50mm tear it seems!

Scott: any plans to add the Leica to your wedding coverage?

TAGfan wrote:
I second what edward said. May sound like hyperbole but the zm50 is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever seen wide open.

I agree it's sharp. Other lenses to consider are the 50 Lux ASPH, especially at 1.5m and farther and past f/2. The 21/3.4 probably impresses me the most right now for sharpness. The 28 Cron is pretty close to it centrally. There are probably many more that I haven't yet tried (like 50AA, 90AA, 35 Lux FLE, ZM25, 90 macro).

Joe - thanks! interesting comparisons. Pretty much echoes what I've found: a wider aperture lens will invariably result in greater background blur stopped down to the same aperture as a slower lens set wide open.
It looks like the Lux is a bit edgier with background rendering.

Here are a couple with the 90 Summarit, somewhat experimental..

May 29, 2013 at 08:28 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.657 #16 · p.657 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, cool shots!

Last set of 50s for today I promise

Canon 50 1.8 ltm. First three, comparison for out of focus rendering at f/1.8, f/2 and f/2.8. These were handheld, framing is close but not 100% identical but distance to subject is the same. Also it was cloudy today, so do not compare WB with my earlier 50 pre-ASPH shots which was shot in sunny 16 conditions.

and a few at f/1.8

May 29, 2013 at 08:41 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.657 #17 · p.657 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
I agree the ZM50P is a great value considering its price and the way its designed with macro contrast pop, I think almost everyone will like the look from this lens, apart from the Leica purist. From my 1 hour with it so far, it does seem to lose out on some finer micro contrast or resolution compared to saya 50Lux ASPH or 35FLE, but this is just first impressions and I could well be wrong.

I don't think you are wrong.

I'm just going to dissent here and say that I personally prefer the v4/v5 50 Summicron formulation to the Planar. The problem is that I dont like it 600 USD more, which is the sort of outlay I would be looking at if I sold my Planar to buy one.

of course I shoot predominately black and white, and film at that. the Zeiss to me is too well controlled, but it is SO inexpensive compared to the Summicron I had no choice. I also think it's a superior lens for color slide or digital, but these are irrelevant factors to me personally. As far as build quality goes, I think it's perfectly fine. That is to say, after directly comparing it to a DR cron I just didnt get the complaints. I do have a 158xxx serial number, though, which is a fairly recent production.

anyway I doubt I will ever sell my Planar, as Id rather put the difference between a Cron and the Planar towards a 50 Lux ASPH when I can actually afford one (ps will do stat analysis for lenses lolololol), which I honestly feel is a superior lens to either and worth the price tag. fwiw I sold the DR cron and ultimately got an OM 50/2 macro, which I like better than the DR but Im not sure versus the Planar yet as I have to develop some more film.

but yeah if a v4 cron was going for 500-800 dollars Id have swapped my planar for one already.

May 29, 2013 at 09:21 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.657 #18 · p.657 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Tagfan, Welcome to the thread. keep them coming.
Ron, the experiment works, I like them. About bold color, I kind of lose control some time
Joe, I am getting confused which is which now? Canon 1.8? what is different than f1.4. Why there is so many dxxx good 50mm rangefinder lens. I never realize that. the last portrait of your son look great.

Here are some 50cron comparison and fotos.

f2

f5.6

few Flower shots with composition experiment. But none of them really worked for me.

The older lens doesn't have the brilliance of Zeiss you guys have. but they are good tool through out the trip I have been

Here is the recent one test shot for M9 after service. f2.8 I believe.

May 29, 2013 at 10:07 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.657 #19 · p.657 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Michael, nice comparison. Thanks for sharing. #3 actually works for me and #5 is excellent. The 50 1.8 ltm currently cost $200-$250. Less than a Leica 1.4x magnifier or what some people pay for camera straps and bags. Its a nice shooter, cheap and compact, very usable for sharpness from f/2.8 except that the original hood cost almost $50 to 70. You could toss one of these LTM in your bag on vacations as insurance... if the 50Lux ASPH goes out of focus

check out
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/s/19-35.html
http://www.dantestella.com/technical/canoleic.html
http://www.dantestella.com/technical/evolution.html
http://www.dantestella.com/technical/nikoleic.html
http://www.cameraquest.com/ltmlens.htm
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/

I read this review on the 50Cron Rigid and found it helpful
http://slrlensreview.com/web/reviews/leica-lenses/leica-standard/778-leica-summicron-50mm-f2-rigid-m?showall=&limitstart=

redisburning wrote:
I shoot predominately black and white, and film at that.....

...... as Id rather put the difference between a Cron and the Planar towards a 50 Lux ASPH ...

but yeah if a v4 cron was going for 500-800 dollars Id have swapped my planar for one already.

Leica always seems to have a price premium and the market dictates it. The 50Lux ASPH would be a good addition to your ZM50P, or maybe even the 50Cron APO but that one is really pricey.

If you shoot B&W film ,the 50Cron DR should render really nicely with lower contrast to preserve shadow details, not sure why you didn't like it? The 50Cron DR is built like a tank, and I feel my ZM50P is like an aluminum tin can, but at least it feels better than some of the cheap plastic lenses out there. I am beginning to appreciate older rangefinder lenses, brass and solid glass and they don't seem to build them like they do in the past.

For B&W, I find any of the 50Crons beautiful in rendering. Each version is different, chose your palate. I had a V3 and regretted selling it. Picked up a V5 (4th version with built in hood) and have a Rigid on the way. I'm also interested in trying the V1 collapsible since it looks so cool. Nice to have choices

May 29, 2013 at 10:45 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.657 #20 · p.657 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Scott: any plans to add the Leica to your wedding coverage?

Already have - just a bit. I think it'll take a more prominent role this weekend after I get the 25 biogon.

May 29, 2013 at 11:11 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password