Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              647      
       649              1004       1005       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.648 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, Very nice set, I really like #1 and 2. And yes, I really miss snow,(grow up north part of China, we have three month snow season) and wish my kids can play in the snow like your son.
Ron, Wow, you keep rising the bar higher with your Wharf set. What a great color and composition. #1, 5,5 are outstanding. Ron, since you keep change lens in field. Have you think about get another M body?
35cron V1

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:58 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.648 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Michael - nice image!

Yes, I change lenses a lot, but the camera was made to do that! If/when I get the M240, I intend to keep the M9, unless I really need the money. The problem with another body is I will need a larger satchel, which means more to carry around. I will probably keep working with one camera most of the time unless there is a specific reason, such as an event, where more than one will be useful. And from experience I know that when I work with two digital cameras of different vintages/eras, I tend to prefer the newest one. Part of me says I should sell the M9 and replace it with the MM, or a second M240... But my bank account doesn't agree.

I think one of the reasons you ask is because of the concern about dust blowing into the shutter area while the lens is off the camera. I recently did have more dust than usual, but forced myself to figure out how I best prefer to clean the sensor. So far I have been able to avoid wet cleaning. I use a sensor pen to remove stubborn stuck on spots, and it can also work on some oily or dried water spots (like what I got on the sensor the day of the big snow storm - but that's probably because I did some shots of snow on branches pointing the lens straight up, which allowed some snowflakes inside the camera to fall directly on the sensor) if I'm persistent and work on them for a while. The downside of the sensor pen is it sometimes just moves the dust around or leaves behind a lot of smaller, very fine dust. To clean that up I bought the Dust-Aid sensor stamp. I'll be the first to admit it feels a bit uncomfortable pushing the stamper down on the sensor glass, knowing the problem of M9 cracked sensors, but thus far it has been pretty effective. I find a couple passes with it after the sensor brush, and most dust is gone. I'm back to being able to shoot stopped down without having to spend a lot of time in post cleaning up spots in the sky.

Back to Toronto:

Andrew's 75 Lux, all stopped down somewhat for a bit more background definition:

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:41 AM
seekuh
• •
p.648 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, the third 50 lux picture of the vessel is absolutely stunning.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:42 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.648 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Beatiful work everyone! Ron, Joe, Winston, Zhangyue, Joakim, Daniel, Allen, Wstam, Ryan.

Sorry for not commenting on the photographs individually, it will take an entire page

M9 + ZM 50 Planar

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.648 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
.. and from the reflection of your footsteps, it looked like you didn't stop to shoot? Now, that is what I call a fast street shooter I missed the details on your 2nd shot the first time round, good timing and catch!

----

First, I just love the color in these. Wonderful photographs Joe. I had a friends M9 for a few weeks in Oct and just loved the color files I got from it. I really like my 35 lux FLE to.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. When working fast on the street I usually always pre focus using the DoF scales on the lens so basically watch find the moment frame it and shoot. Much easier to do with a Leica than and DSLR for sure. Plus I rarely get noticed because of the camera size until I want to be noticed.

Edited on Feb 18, 2013 at 01:12 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:02 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.648 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron Killer stuff here.

Ed love the 3 in the last series. Great conversions.

zhangyue really like the surfer on the beach and I also really like the second from Savannah

Ryan Love the shot of the boy and great idea for the Mr Grouper attention getter.

Jabberwockt a lot of red. Like Joe said I hope he got ouuta the way.

Again a great way to start the day. Seeing all the wonderful images in this thread.

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:12 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.648 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward - nice B&W set!

Ron - great stuff as usual. As with your 90 Elmarit shot - I am always amazed how much a telephoto lens compresses a scene. I also like the 21lux shots (again).

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.648 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you everyone for the kind comments, some more from the shoot with Ron.

More to come.

Andrew

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.648 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, love the B&W conversion and the moment in the first one. Great set overall!
Andrew, wow, you're really getting strong colours! The pre-ASPH look is growing on me. The 105 is such a great lens!

These below, in comparison, might feel a bit sombre..

Andrew's 35 Cron ASPH:

21 SEM, cropped a bit:

50 Lux ASPH:

75 Lux (this one did flare a bit, but it's hidden in the shadow on the right side):

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:33 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.648 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Guys, sorry for the silly question. How do you focus on the side of the frame with a rangefinder? Is it really doable in the f/1.4-2 range..

I've been holding an M9 purchase over this issue for quite a long time. Possibly waiting for the M240 for EVF but the samples doesnt inspire much.

thanks

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

joe88
• • • •
p.648 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Ron, Michael, Edward, Allen!

Ron, more excellent shots from the docks and urban landscape. #1 and 2 with the ropes seems so perfectly composed and all those textures, wow. The 90 Summarit is no slouch either, love the thick smoke formation in the background. Also like the rendering on those 75Lux shots and how you brought up the textures and colors of the grass on the 21SEM shot.

Michael, excellent B&W shot by the beach.

Edward, excellent B&W pics! 1,2 & 4 are my favorites. Just curious, and please ignore my lack of knowledge, but what is the elephant doing out there? Rides?

Andrew, those 50Lux and 105 are excellent. #3 and 5 are my favorites from this set, nice strong colors, texture and rendering.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:30 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.648 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

frezeiss wrote:
Guys, sorry for the silly question. How do you focus on the side of the frame with a rangefinder? Is it really doable in the f/1.4-2 range..

I try to keep the same focal plane distance as my subject when I recompose, not sure if it makes sense? That being said, its still a hit and miss for me, especially with longer lenses, else I just stop down the aperture or take a few additional shots. Others probably have a better answer for you.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:36 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.648 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
I try to keep the same focal plane distance as my subject when I recompose, not sure if it makes sense? That being said, its still a hit and miss for me, especially with longer lenses, else I just stop down the aperture or take a few additional shots. Others probably have a better answer for you.

My answer's worse. You get a feel for it. For ultra fast glass I find I've just gotten use to moving in a certain way when focusing and recomposing. Essentially, you want to rotate the camera using the sensor as a pivot. My technique got way better once I went digital.

I find the best practice is chasing toddlers around @ 0.95. Trial by fire.

MM + Noct wide open:

L1004828 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 19, 2013 at 05:01 AM · View previous versions

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:04 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.648 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

frezeiss wrote:

I've been holding an M9 purchase over this issue for quite a long time. Possibly waiting for the M240 for EVF but the samples doesnt inspire much.

thanks

M240 with focus peaking will be the most surefire solution, even without the ability to zoom into non-central areas.

With the M9, it's the factors already mentioned, and for me, a matter of knowing the field curvature characteristics of the lens along with focus bracketing, if possible. I find with most of my lenses, if I focus and recompose at a near distance, the point of focus on the off-center subject will probably be slightly back focused, therefore the trick is either to rock back slightly or front focus slightly. At farther distances it's less of an issue. But the key, IMO, is knowing how your lenses work at a variety of distances. Unfortunately a lot of lenses have field curvature and it takes time and a lot of shooting experience to figure it out. Alternatively, place the area you want in focus in the center, then crop for the desired end composition.

I wouldn't worry too much about the M samples. These are just from a handful of photographers and are all SOOC. FWIW, I never post SOOC images here or anywhere else, unless it's a test shot. I guarantee most others here do the same. Therefore you can't really compare the M240 against what you see from the M9 here.

Just wait until the M240 is shipping. I guarantee the photographers you like now, working with M9s, or whatever, will produce the same quality from the M240. I've seen this in a newspaper environment over the span of 15 or so years, including the transition from film to digital. The 'look' produced by any given photographer over that period remained very consistent despite the capture format and camera body changes. Consider the Monochrom release. The accompanying 'inspirational images' by Jacob Aue Sobol are about as far as one can get from the MM SOOC.

Having played around with the M240 DNG preproduction files, I can get them to look like what I get from the M9's files after a trip through LR, but the M240 files have more malleability.

Thanks Joe!
Great one, Ryan! But you should get him used to using a 'real' camera, not a smartphone...

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:41 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.648 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

frezeiss wrote:

thanks

Focus and recompose For street shots, you don't have time to wait for long, and you do get used of certain lenses quirks, at different f stops, maybe move forward or back every so slightly to compensate for the curvature. Previously I had the 5DII with the 50 and 85L, and still used the centre point for AF, hold and recompose. Problem here was the inconsistency of the AF with the narrow DOF. At least with the M9 and MF, you are in control of the technique and how you wish to focus

p 647
Joakim, nice shot of the portable outhouse!
Allen, really nice street set
Ryan, you have captured the magic eyes in this portrait
Ron, great water front series. Amazing lighting in all of these shots!!!
Michael, another nice set from Savannah.
Jabberwockt, nice capture!!
Joe, wonderful dreamy shots of your son
p648
Ron, this is my favourite waterfront series!!! Neat examples with the 75 Lux stopped down. Very nice urban set!
Edward, great B&W series!!!
Andrew, superb colours and composition! Love the design and shapes.

Some street shots from the last visit to Bangkok, unPP'd so far 50 Nocti f/1.0.

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:54 AM
dalegaspi
• •
p.648 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Some 50/1.4 ASPH shots...these are @ f1.4 (ignore the EXIF)

L1009575_v1 by Dexter Legaspi, on Flickr

L1009421_v1 by Dexter Legaspi, on Flickr

this one is @f4.0

L1009548_v1 by Dexter Legaspi, on Flickr

Feb 19, 2013 at 05:09 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.648 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much Allen, Gary, Ron, Joe, Charles, for your kind comments.

Joe, this is a baby elephant. You pay 20 baht (about 65 cents) for a small bag of sugarcane sticks to feed him/her from your hand. It also understands Thai My GF's mom asked him to dance and lie down, and it followed the instructions

Andrew, love the compositions and the psychedelic colors
Ron, nice geometric compositions and color combinations.
Charles, I knew it was your shots before seeing the name The 2nd shot is my favorite.
Dalegaspi, nice set, especially last photo.

Feb 19, 2013 at 09:00 AM
wstam

p.648 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wow, many beautiful and fantastic photo shared here. It's always a treat in visiting this thread Also thanks to those commented on my photos.

I spent some time in processing the photo below. The people are at least 2-3 stops in the shadow. Made use of LR graduated filter feature to bring up the light in that area. First time trying this feature.

M9|ZM35f2

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:15 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.648 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great stuff EVERYONE

Who said that you can't shoot birds with an M9 and a 35 lux

Feb 19, 2013 at 04:32 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.648 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Frezeiss, For distance longer than 3M, this is hardly an issue. DOF mostly will cover it. The one with strong FC will have problem. That requires a careful testing about particular lens to understand the nature of FC. Unless we are talking about latest DSLR D700/800, 5DIII, other mirrorless wonít get this kind of off center job done nicely as well. (DUNNO OMD?) For short distance, I use two way, like Ron said, for off center, you usually will back focused. 1. tilt your body compensate it after recompose. 2. Front focus the shot before recompose. Both seems doing fine for first order cancellation Donít laugh, since you donít expect your set of lens in sync with your body anyway, I do this kind of compensation all the time back to my first M lens 50sonnar with strong focus shift.

The biggest problem we are face is 50lux at MFD0.7 and Noct at MFD1. For wide lens or long glass, it is a less issue.

Edward, nice bW set, the first one is great.
Ron, great set for random thing around city. #2 and last are my favorite
Ryan, nice portrait. It must be fun once you nail the focus at 0.95 with his moving
Charles, Nice set, beautiful rendering.
Weesin, great color.
Airfrog, Nice sharp bird photo. yes, you can do it, but the bird has to be pretty dumb

Hangzhou

50cron

21 biogon

50lux from yesterday at parking lot. Hear the sound of plane, quick focus at building at f5.6. Is this the beauty of Rangefinder?

Feb 19, 2013 at 06:15 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password