1       2       3              647      
       649              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.648 #1 · p.648 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Great work Robert!

I was able to recently borrow the Canon 50/1.4 LTM and below is a quick & dirty hand held comparison of it at near minimum focusing distance (1m) vs. the Nikkor 5cm f/1.4 and the 5cm f/1.5 Summarit. Images are presented in that order (Canon, Nikon, Leitz) and shot on the M9.

For the first group, the exact same LR processing settings were used for all three, for which I selected the Nikkor as the 'middle ground,' including a very slight curve tweak.

and this is the Summarit with contrast, curves, clarity and slight WB adjustment to get it looking a bit more like the other two:

As you'll note, the Canon has considerably cooler WB.
For these below, I've adjust the WB to better match all three. Again, the Summarit is presented with an 'as shot' version, and one that has been tweaked to be closer to the other two:

I haven't had a lot of time to compare the lenses more closely, but offhand, the Canon seems to be the most 'normal' of the three, being fairly well corrected even from wide open at near and far distances. While it's not a 50 Lux ASPH, it's pretty good wide open, with a nice amount of imperfections to add some character, but not super glowy like the Nikkor (which really surprisingly snaps up in contrast and loses much of the glow at f/2). My Summarit is always pretty low in contrast, but the color quality is still great.

In some respects the Canon doesn't seem 'weird' enough to be an oddball vintage lens, but I guess it depends on what you want. It should be great on the MM though and still a solid performer in color.

May 16, 2013 at 02:49 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.648 #2 · p.648 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks all for the comments!

Goran, very nice B&W of the horses!

Ron, lots of texture to those wood and pebbles. and wow! nice vintage test! Thanks for sharing! The Canon 50 1.4 LTM lives up to its reputation. I prefer the gentler rendering on this over the Nikon. Colors of the Summarit look good but very low in contrast.

Michael, another excellent set. 90 Elmarit looks smooth and colors are really nice . Thanks for the info on the 35CronV1. I might pick up the googled version to try out. I agree, the only real way to find out is to try out those lenses myself.

Robert, 2nd shot with the 35Cron is excellent.

rscheffler wrote:
There must be something going on with the MM and 'vintage' lenses.... You should also try the 40/1.4. It has some serious technical faults, like massive field curvature, and I think focus shift, but I still thing it's great. I love its somewhat busy background rendering, and I see from your 35/1.4 shots above that it too is a bit busy.

I think with the Monochrom, you actually see more of the character of each of these vintage lenses without being hampered by the bayer array filter on the sensor or color aberrations of the lenses? I'm taking a more conservative route with these vintage lenses, probably trying out some of the newer CV lenses but with the older optical design, this way I can hopefully avoid too many issues of these older lenses with haze, fungus, etc. But at the same time, its nice to try out some of these 40-50 year old lenses and feel nostalgic I'll keep an eye out for the 40/1.4 thanks.

With the CV 35/ 1.4, I wanted to get a sense of a lens that would hopefully have a look similar to the 35Lux pre-ASPH wide open and also one I was hoping to pair with the CV 50 1.1. The CV35 1.4 is not sharp wide open but seems usable. I had to add sharpening in post to make them look decent but the worse part is probably caffeinated bokeh on many shots.

A few more with the CV 35/1.4 SC @ f/1.4

May 16, 2013 at 03:38 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.648 #3 · p.648 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for the comparison Ron! I truly love the rendering and unique character of these older lenses. I find each one can certain strengths depending on the subject and shooting conditions. I *think* I have a preference for the more edgy, defined bokeh on the Nikkor compared to the other two. You can really see it in the upper left green foliage of the second picture. On the other hand, the Canon seems to have a more "neutral" output as far as vintage lenses are concerned. In other words, I like them both! The colors of the Summarit look nice as well. It would also be neat to see a B&W image with these lenses... This just goes to confirm my opinion that one cannot have too many 50s!

May 16, 2013 at 03:53 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.648 #4 · p.648 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ill take the Nikkor

Ive seen a handful of pictures in my life that really, really spoke to me in terms of lens rendering alone; the Nikkor owns one of those.

from what Ive read, which confirms what Ive seen, Canon has tended to have a leg up on Nikon in terms of sharpness historically. this is at least true as far as some important historical 50mm lenses go; rf 50/1.4, 50/3.5 macro, 55/1.2, etc. still, the RF Nikkors were distinctly different in style from what Canon was doing and even what they did later with the F series, and their RF lenses, the very storied 50/1.4 included, are top tier lenses in a world with many good lenses but few great ones.

May 16, 2013 at 05:19 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.648 #5 · p.648 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

This thread is sick. Could you guys please put up a duff shot once in a while. Please?

May 16, 2013 at 05:37 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.648 #6 · p.648 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Yep. Not bad for a bunch of rich dentists, eh?

May 16, 2013 at 06:43 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.648 #7 · p.648 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Joe, if you don't like the CV35/1.4's nervous bokeh, you might not like the 40 either... but that's what I like about the 40. BTW, I think every family I know with young boys is seriously invested in Thomas the Train toys - I'm sure they make a nice profit!

I need to test the 5cm f/1.4 Nikkor more. I got it a while ago and have used it sporadically, mostly wide open. I got a bit of a surprise (or reminder) of just how much its character changes stopped down to f/2 when the sun came out and f/1.4 was blowing out the highlights. It's a split personality lens.

Here's f/1.4 vs. f/2 and also a crop showing the contrast change. The glow disappears and there's a substantial gain in global macro contrast - a very bold look that reminds me of the Nikkor 10.5cm f/2.5. Not super sharpness, but high contrast implying coarse sharpness.

FWIW, processing parameters for each were identical except for exposure adjustment, for which I tried to match highlight density and let the mid tones and shadows shift accordingly.

May 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.648 #8 · p.648 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, interesting character with the Nikkor 50. Nice and now you stirred my interest in this lens! Thanks for sharing. As for those wooden train sets, I agree, they do have a good second hand value. How was the weight & balance of the Canon 50 1.4 compared to the Nikkor on the M9?

----
One from my archives. 50CronV3. Not really "vintage" and I guess still relatively "young" at 40+ years for a M mount lens?

May 16, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.648 #9 · p.648 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Wow - what a huge difference between the two! This pretty well mirrors my experience with this lens as well. Here are a few from camping last weekend. Taken with NEX-5N (exuse me for the non-Leica body) and the Nikkor 5.0 f/1.4 ltm WO. I really enjoy using this lens and it works fairly well on APS-C as well.

Edited on Dec 14, 2016 at 03:22 PM · View previous versions

May 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.648 #10 · p.648 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

wow, really nice Gary! The character shows even on an APS-C sensor. Love the rendering of this lens, especially on #2.

May 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.648 #11 · p.648 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

What I find amazing among Leica M users is that we have too much quality in our lenses, so we also look for "inferior" glass with "character"

May 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM
redisburning
• • •
p.648 #12 · p.648 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Edward,

a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

even the sharpness freaks amongst us (there is probably no worse offender than myself) like a little imperfection from time to time.

May 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.648 #13 · p.648 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

redisburning wrote:
Edward,

a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

even the sharpness freaks amongst us (there is probably no worse offender than myself) like a little imperfection from time to time.

Spoken like a true wise man, red!

May 17, 2013 at 12:29 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.648 #14 · p.648 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary, those look great! #3 is what I really like about the Nikkor's background rendering.
Joe - The Canon is more modern looking in its design and is a uniform cylindrical size that is a touch on the fat side for an M/LTM 50mm lens. The Nikkor appears to be made as slim as possible. That said, I think the focusing ring on the Canon is easier to grip/use. One benefit of the Nikkor is that it will focus considerably closer than 1m, though not RF coupled, so is an added bonus for use on a CSC or M240 with live view.

BTW, I kind of wish the Huffster wouldn't publish vintage lens reviews. It probably inflates prices unnecessarily. (probably also these threads)

May 17, 2013 at 12:41 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.648 #15 · p.648 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, thanks for the info. I agree, too much publicity on these vintage lenses is not good for some of us, but I guess those af RFF have been enjoying these lenses for a long time. Probably the popularity of the M9 and CSCs made these lenses popular again?

Edward, I agree, you need to experience shooting with "character" glass on the Leica M in order to fully appreciate the other sharper lenses

May 17, 2013 at 12:49 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.648 #16 · p.648 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Edward, I agree, you need to experience shooting with "character" glass on the Leica M in order to fully appreciate the other sharper lenses

Hehe, I wish, but I'm still in my pixel peeping stage. Hopefully when I grow up from this stage, I will be able to appreciate the nuances in the drawing of vintage lenses.

May 17, 2013 at 04:49 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.648 #17 · p.648 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, out of three lens. I slightly prefer the rendering of Canon in this case. Bokeh looks smoother and color is also seems more pop and cooler. However, Nikon and Leica could be the special lens for rendering. There is no PP can recreate lens character.

Gary, #3 looks nice.

Edward, very funny but how true.

Since last time I replied the Robert about 75mm/90mm selection, I personally start look for long lens again, especially 75cron. And found out there are even more focus problem reported for that lens, and the lens is the longest focal length has the FLE in Leica line. This reenforce my wild guess about why there is so many reported problem with 50lux ASPH. How come it is behave weird like front focus in MFD, slightly back focus at infinity, and back focus at mid-distance etc...

I always wonder why my two old cron seems so robust and consistent and 50lux need adjust periodically. Once the lens internal elements move together or in opposite direction, the requirement of accuracy is very high. and the longer the focal length, the more difficult get it right. (The lens is such a beauty, but now I understand why I always have reservation about my love of it. I wish this is the last time I need adjust it.)

50cron Qingdao f2.8orf4

35cron Qingdao WO

May 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.648 #18 · p.648 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Finally my M9 is back after what seem like forever and together with it I also got my 28 Summicron and 35 Summilux back, both with adjusted focus. Still 4 lenses on the way back from Solms but I am a happy camper anyway right now

3 photos below, the cherry blossom was used for focus testing an the third one is just an "action" photo of our robotic mover who started her season today.

First and last with the 28 and the middle one with the 35.

May 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.648 #19 · p.648 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joakim, glad your M9 is back! Both the 28Cron and 35Lux shots are excellent. Looks like they are well calibrated now! Interesting mower! I have seen robotic vacumn cleaners but not a lawn mower! Does it work well?

Michael, excellent shot of your daughter with the 50Cron. BTW, if you want to try another 50mm lens, and maybel with potentially less problems, check out the pre-ASPH version. Has its own character. I succumbed after looking at Andrew, Ron & Gary's pics on this thread.

Kind of like the 50 f/1.0's little brother

May 17, 2013 at 04:38 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.648 #20 · p.648 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

My friend Chef Paco

May 17, 2013 at 08:45 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.