Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              643      
       645              1100       1101       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.644 #1 · p.644 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Superb portrait Charles! Perfect focus and background.

Michael - very nice shots with 50lux. Which version do you own. I was considering looking at picking up a pre-ASPH but I'm not 100% sure at this point. I'd like some input on how it compares to the ASPH version.

Gary, I have the 50lux ASPH. Please see my early comments about its performance.

zhangyue wrote:
I also confirm that 50lux is incredible sharp infinity. sharper than 50cron at f2. I see alias/moire WO on the roof infinity within 12mm cycle. That is match their published MTF. but not in 1M range, it has about the same sharpness as my 50cron. Both 50cron rigid is also very good center at f2, has moire in center as well at f2, but only 4-5mm cycle. At f5.6-f8, they are slightly worse than 50lux overall(very minor), but at 3/4 frame 50lux FC dip zone, 50cron actually better.

To surmise a little based on my personal experience along with Ron's
...Show more

One thing you should consider is latest pre-ASPH have two version with same formula, E43 with MFD 1m, this could be a pain. The other is E46 which has 0.7M MFD, but price will be above $2500. Consider you can have ASPH at $3200 zone now, you need judge that. I never own pre-ASPH version, but from what I see, its bokeh has more character. WO Center sharpness should about the same as ASPH at least in portrait range. I will get one if price is right myself. Stop down, it doesnít have ASPH or 50cron performance from its MTF, but I believe all early Leica lux design is put high priority in low light performance and character instead of cross frame sharpness; they are artist tool but not scientific tool

Charles, thanks for your feedback. I donít have any doubt about that image is free of crop from the look of it. Just curious to compare it to 0.95 version

Feb 14, 2013 at 06:09 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.644 #2 · p.644 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments guys! I guess I need to clean my UV filter and check for lens fungus, even if it was a ASPH lens!

Gary, very nice B&W tonality on that shot.
Hilmar very nice shots with the 50APO. Bokeh looks really smooth!
Michael, lots of pop to that portrait, excellent! .. and thanks for the info.
Charles, beautiful rendering on the Nocti 1.0 portrait, excellent!

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:03 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.644 #3 · p.644 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks for confirming this is the case. I definitely agree as it's one side effect I'm seeing with the ISO-less approach to the M9, but more so for some of the wider lenses, which of course, makes perfect sense. The solution would be to disable lens coding and apply Cornerfix, LCC or Adobe Flat Field correction, but is a bit of a hassle too. And completely agree with your observations regarding coding and the 50. I noticed this also with a number of lenses. It was particularly a problem with my hand-coded ZM glass, where from time to time the
...Show more

Hi, Ron. I decided to give the Adobe Flat Field correction plug-in for LR4 a try today, and I'm really impressed. I just shot a single calibration shot with a tissue over my lens at infinity and wide open aimed toward the sky, and it is as good or better than any of the Leica profiles for my collapsible. You can run it simultaneously (batch) over as many files as you wish, and it gives you the option of only correcting color (and not vignetting,) which I thought that Edward may be interested in with his ZMs. Honestly, it will only add a couple of clicks to my workflow, so I don't consider it a burden in the least (unlike CornerFix.) Granted, I'm only shooting the 50, so I don't have to keep track of which lens is which (accept for when I do an occasional portrait session with my 90.)

Here is a quick test shot with my 50 Cron V1 at f8 and near infinity with coding turned off. While not terrible, the cyan shift is noticeable in places like the right hand side of the building, and it was bugging me enough to try coding again:

Here is the same shot with the flat field correction applied.

Lightroom stacks the version, so this doesn't clutter things up, and I think no coding plus flat-field correction is my choice from now on. Coding the lens is normally fine for me, but I don't love how the edges look with the vignetting correction in low light, so I want to avoid any vignetting correction (even when I set the camera to high ISO, there's just too much of the vignetting correction, IMO.)

BTW, nice pictures everyone!! Sorry for the boring test shots.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM
wstan

p.644 #4 · p.644 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles - the one from Tainan is really lovely shot! nice color, compo and mood.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM
wstan

p.644 #5 · p.644 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Calm morning in Karri Valley - M9, 21/2.8 Biogon

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.644 #6 · p.644 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Winston I really like the shot on a previous page of the couple, the bike ands the one way sign. This is a beauty to.

I stay away for a day and so much good stuff. Great work everyone.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:58 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.644 #7 · p.644 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, Gary, Joe and Winston, thank you for your comments
Michael, I think I have mentioned before, that I actually prefer the Nocti f/1.0, over the 0.95 since it is lighter, smaller, about half the price and it is one of the last lenses by Mandler. I would love the 0.95, but it was not in my budget Having seen some of the images now with the new 50 Cron Apo, I would be tempted to trade a few lenses!
Douglas, nice work with the comparisons
Winston, very nice paint like landscape!
Allen, beautifully rendered portrait! Great M-M shot with 35 Lux at 3200 ISO!!

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:49 AM
wstan

p.644 #8 · p.644 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles, thanks!
Allen (airfrogusmc?) - nice portrait, the MM shots always make me drooling...

Feb 15, 2013 at 01:59 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.644 #9 · p.644 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys and I feel humbled here with all this amazing work. My favorite thread by far. I try to tune in everyday.

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:14 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.644 #10 · p.644 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Did you guys see this at 6400 ISO?

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ryankarr
• • •
p.644 #11 · p.644 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

A few more from yesterday, with either the 21mm Lux or the Noct. Just got my 82mm adapter for the 21 Lux and a red filter.

L1004406 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1004468 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1004453 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1004432 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:17 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.644 #12 · p.644 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

SWEEETTT!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^

Feb 15, 2013 at 02:21 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.644 #13 · p.644 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Excellent Ryan! OK, I must have missed this entirely, but where does one find an 82mm filter adapter for the 21 Lux?
Allen - very appealing portrait!
Winston - lovely! Also nice moment of the couple from your previous post.
Doug - not boring at all. In fact, very informative. There is a slight difference, but definitely for the better. And something to keep in mind. For me though, it would be extremely difficult to give up EXIF focal length info. I change lenses quite frequently and would likely forget which shots were with which lens. Would have been nice if Leica allowed the camera to read the coding for EXIF but disable corrections. But this seems to be the best solution for the ISO-less method.
Charles - very masterful use of the Nocti! Love how he's holding the book too.
Gary, the B&W looks good! I agree about burning down the sky a bit.
Andrew - looks good, looking forward to more!
Joe - very nice feel.
Jabberwockt - congrats on the Konica. Regarding the CV40/1.4, I think it's best at near distances and where you want some slight wider aperture dreaminess and can tolerate potentially 'active' background bokeh. IMO it's not an ideal lens for scenes where you want good across-frame performance with relatively high micro contrast and detail. Its strong field curvature combined with SA conspire against such results. But I would suggest not giving up on it too quickly. Try it for some portraiture, for example.
Hilmar - excellent pop, as Michael pointed out!

Michael - I'm going to save you $7000. Take a look at this 50 Lux ASPH portrait done at f/2 in Hilmar's Flickr stream and compare it against the neighbouring image done with the 50AA. Hilmar is very kind to upload full-rez files to allow 100% comparisons. I would like to point out that CENTRALLY, the 50 Lux ASPH at f/2 appears to be nearly identical to the 50AA wide open at these distances. From this one comparison it also appears to blur the background slightly more, and might be about 1/3 stop brighter to boot. Where I think we both agree, is the Lux will stumble if you were to compose with the subject placed based on rule of thirds. What you will note with Hilmar's 50AA portraits at full rez, is that when the subject's eyes are off center, wide open sharpness at that point is excellent.
Or, spend that money on a 50/1. It will give you character! I can only comment on the 50/0.95 based on what I've seen here and on various other sites, but it *seems* to be a faster version of the Lux ASPH in terms of overall characteristics/rendering, but of course with more background blur.

Regarding the 50 Lux pre-ASPH questions, perhaps Andrew can chime in since he has one.. That said, I used one once at the Munich Leica store and was able to compare it against my Lux ASPH. I don't recall the serial number on it and therefore am not sure if it was the very earliest version of the Lux, which apparently is not quite as optically desirable as the second version. The sales guy said it was an 'overpriced collector's' lens, so not sure where that placed it, other than it was around 2500 Euro, IIRC.

50 Lux non-ASPH:

50 Lux ASPH (cropped a bit for framing consistency):

50 f/1.5 Summarit:

My feeling based on the above as well as Andrew's images, is the non-ASPH has a bit more background 'structure' to the blur than the ASPH.

Nice set from Savannah. I also like the first couple the most. The first one really pops. And I agree, it's looks like a tough way to make money. Maybe even worse than as a photographer...

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:35 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.644 #14 · p.644 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Ron!

It's Leica part # 14-481

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586198-REG/Leica_14_481_E82_Filter_Adapter_f.html

Feb 15, 2013 at 03:50 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.644 #15 · p.644 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

More from the shoot.

Gary, I am now on my second 50 lux pre-asph. I foolishly traded the first one in on the Noctilux. I personally prefer the pre-asph to the Asph. The PA for short, is like a mini noctilux F1. It has the same type of bokeh, but it is more subtle. Sometimes the Noctilux can be too much, whereas the PA is a little less. The lens does yield purple fringing, and it is not as sharp as the Asph version. It is as Zhanghue said, it is a lens for art.

Joe88 - I traded my M9 fro a ME with a full warranty. I am patiently waiting for the M

More to come.

Andrew

Edited on Feb 15, 2013 at 04:29 AM · View previous versions

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:05 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.644 #16 · p.644 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ryankarr wrote:
Thanks Ron!

It's Leica part # 14-481

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586198-REG/Leica_14_481_E82_Filter_Adapter_f.html

Thanks Ryan. Do you think there is any risk of strong light sources from behind the camera reflecting off the filter and appearing in images due to the cutouts? 82mm filters would be easier to source and some Canon L lenses now also use that size, so it could work for me.. but would also make the 21 Lux even bigger.

Andrew, I agree, I can see that character in your 'PA' images... Hmm... something to think about.

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:20 AM
rirakuma
• •
p.644 #17 · p.644 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron thanks heaps for the comparison !

Feb 15, 2013 at 04:20 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.644 #18 · p.644 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew very nice.