Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              641      
       643              1025       1026       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.642 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Bijltje wrote:
+ 1 Trough I can't really feel any difference between the M8 and my M9P.

If pressing the button gets to hard to keep the camera still I think it might need a good clean. The leica's I used didn't feel that way.

Edward, I think you put it right than my description. It exact like you said, I always feel the resistance, I can't remember it is behave the same as this before. But it is definitely start concern me with hand shake. Nikon D700 has slap but I don't need to push it hard so at least I can concentrate with holding camera during shooting. But leica is become part of whole image capture process as you really need push it.

Bijltje, you might be right that my camera is due for CLA. which I just did 4 month ago. I don't feel it concern me like this before, and I can hold my 90mm at 1/30sh to get decent results before.

a 50cron rigid shot from weekend

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.642 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, excellent street images. Great to showcase how good the ZM 35/2 can perform. Love the warm, indirect lighting in these shots
Ron, love your WA shots with the 21 SEM. Nice comparisons with the 50 and 75 Lux
Michael, the shot of your kids in the field of flowers is wonderful! Nice images on p641 too I have found the M9P is marginally harder to depress, than my older M9(now sold), and I do use the discreet mode for night shots, as it forces me to change my technique. The M-M has the best shutter release, very smooth and light

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:45 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.642 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, loving the abstracts lately, especially the use of bokeh and shadows on the last page.
Edward, keep them coming!
zhangyue, love everything on the last 2 pages from you, especially the light shining through the crack in the door.

And now for something completely different. I bought a Nikon AIS to Leica M adapter so I could use my 8mm fisheye on the MM. Obviously no focus or finder, but infinity focus is just past 1m and I've found over the years that the best way to compose is to worry about where your feet are planted and where the centre of the lens is pointed. It also has built in yellow, orange and red filters, so it's perfect for the MM.

Insanely sharp @ f11, which is great because I was worried about tolerances on the adapter.

L1004451-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1004473-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1004483-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:57 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.642 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Here's a photo of the monstrosity:

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:02 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.642 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, really cool setup!! wow! The pics are fabulous too! Are you going to put some Nikon tele lenses on the camera next?

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:15 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.642 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Michael, excellent shot of your kids, very timeless feel to it. Looks like you tweaked the red channel? Nice.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:16 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.642 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wow it moves pretty fast over here. Great work everyone.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:51 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.642 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:57 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.642 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Robert, my M9 has a noticeable 3 stops shutter detents, with the hardest one when you take the shot. If you put it on soft, it gets slightly better, but not as good as it was on my M6 and Zeiss Ikons. However placing my index flat on the camera top plate reduces the resistance quite a lot.

Here's a photo taken by Helimat during our photo outing. It shows what I'm talking about

Zhangyue, wow! What a lovely shot of your kids and the classic rendering of the lens is amazing.

Charles, thank you so much for your comments. Definitely the ZM 35 is a great performer even wide open.

Ryan, thanks for the comments. Appreciated! What a front heavy set up, but the photos are worth it. Very nicely executed.

Allen, lovely portrait. Were you sick?

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:35 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.642 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

So many great shots on this thread as ever.

Sebboh - thanks a lot for your filter experience.
As it happens I took delivery today of a CV 90/3.5 APO, sold here by dpap1978. It came with a B+W 39mm UV+IR filter. I tried it on my Cron 50 Type 4 and it fits, so problem solved - I just have to swap the filter between lenses!

Edward - far from being boring or repetitive, your Bangkok street shots have immense pathos and to me they speak of the dignity of the human spirit. As somebody posted, you seem to be able to make the subjects relax. Such a series could be the subject of a book. Some of my favourites: p639 2nd shot, 641#7(1, 3, 5), 641#10 (2, 3), 641#17 (1, 3)
The M9 and those Zeiss wides give such wonderfully saturated colours and typical Zeiss crispness.

Ron - I love those buoy shots and greatly prefer the Lux, however my preference is purely academic

Airfrogusmc (Allen) thanks for the rocking comment I love your hospital doctor portrait.

Ryan - p639 2nd portrait is wonderful

Zhangyue - focus with those three shots was based on my judgement of the fixed distance (3m) and I just got lucky!
I have always found the shots of your kids wonderful, as I do many of your Chinese coast /waterway scenes

Winston - take more temple dragon photos please

Charles.K - love many of your MM and M9 shots

...I am riding my motorbike with friends this weekend and I hope to have portrait and other opportunities to use my 50 Cron during our overnight stay in the NSW Snowy Mountain region.

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

wstan

p.642 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

David, the temple dragon photo belongs to 'wstam' - my nickname is similar, wstan

this thread has been very active in the last 48 hrs. What happened to all of you??

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:16 AM
wstan

p.642 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sunrise in Jakarta's old port - M9, 50/1.1 Nokton

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:19 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.642 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Robert, my M9 has a noticeable 3 stops shutter detents, with the hardest one when you take the shot. If you put it on soft, it gets slightly better, but not as good as it was on my M6 and Zeiss Ikons. However placing my index flat on the camera top plate reduces the resistance quite a lot.

I tried it again today and noticed I also have my indexfinger flat on the shutter. I also don't use the tip of my finger but the first Sesamoid bone (hop this is the good translation) making it really easy to press the shutter.

Using the top of my finger really makes it harder to press the shutter.

zhangyue wrote:
Bijltje, you might be right that my camera is due for CLA. which I just did 4 month ago. I don't feel it concern me like this before, and I can hold my 90mm at 1/30sh to get decent results before.

In 4 months it should not get so dirty. Edwards flat finger technique () might be the trick
90mm at 1/30 sounds good to me.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:35 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.642 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comment, guys. I think I have been using flat finger technique on and off for a while. If I really concern about shake, use 2s timer whenever it is possible before I send in my M9 Again, since my 50lux is off in mid range again.

Now a new question: I tested my 50mm lens on hand yesterday lunchtime. I bought another 50cron Rigid during recent camera fair. since it is even earlier with different focus ring. more prettier, similar with DR version. I will upload a pic for both of them to make it clear later.

I notice: with 1M range,focus is about right. Infinity is also about right. (my lux always slightly pass infinity even after adjust from Leica NJ) but 3M range, all of them back focused. Is that possible? I think it might lead to body problem since all three lens have similar behavior. Any comments?

One thing might interesting you is I almost get exact performance between two 50cron, That is definite something you want expect from Leica. You expect almost exact performance even after 50 year. What a impressive quality control.

I also confirm that 50lux is incredible sharp infinity. sharper than 50cron at f2. I see alias/moire WO on the roof infinity within 12mm cycle. That is match their published MTF. but not in 1M range, it has about the same sharpness as my 50cron. Both 50cron rigid is also very good center at f2, has moire in center as well at f2, but only 4-5mm cycle. At f5.6-f8, they are slightly worse than 50lux overall(very minor), but at 3/4 frame 50lux FC dip zone, 50cron actually better.

To surmise a little based on my personal experience along with Ron's feedback, if you think 50lux can do wonder WO during normal shooting,(.7-2M range portrait) you will be disappointed. it will not perform much better than 50 sonnar, pre-ASPH or even sharp 1.4 lens from other manufacture. Unless you shoot f1.4 landscape or do art reproduction in dark museum. its in focus plane seems cover 10-12mm cycle, bigger than most lens I have, that is huge plus to me. it also has very smooth Bokeh, smoother than almost any other lens I have seen.

I feel its outstanding performance really show up with the distance increased. so it will be very good after 3M range give you nice isolation and low light performance. a MedFomat look. I also like its Bokeh at that range much better since it give a little more background shape than blur blur and blur.

Ryan, another exotic lens from you. It is a incredible setup. Love that flare.
Airfrog, nice portrait!
Edward, love to see you in action. That is very 3D. must be from some fancy glass!
Winston, Another wonderful BW.

Here are few more 21

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:04 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.642 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

lenticular, thank you
Allen, very nice portrait!
Edward, caught in the act
Winston, nice image from Jakarta harbour.
Michael, wonderful images! The colours and composition are amazing

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:06 AM
wstan

p.642 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Zhangyue, thanks! Nice portrait of the kids and architectural shots esp no. 1 and 2.
Ryan - artistic fisheye shot! Love photo #1!
Edward - nice to see you in action
airfrogusmc - good shot of the doctor
Charles - many thanks, Sir!

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:38 AM
wstan

p.642 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Here's my attempt on a high contrast BW from M9, 35/1.2 Nokton II taken in Fremantle, WA:

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.642 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Edward - nice wrap to the series and great to see one of you in action. You don't look at all intimidating with that nice M set-up. What was Helimat shooting with, out of interest?
Allen - very nice environmental portrait. Great tones and light quality. This could be for an annual report, etc... would be great to have a client accept straight B&W images!
Ryan, wow, that's a very cool addition to the system! Great images too!
Another couple nice ones Winston! The lighthouse looks great!

Michael - nice set with the church, but the one of your kids in the flowers is excellent!
If your rangefinder is off in the middle with all of the lenses you tried, then I would suspect it might be the camera?
Great observations about the 50 Lux ASPH to which I agree. I'm not so much disappointed about the near distance sharpness though because at least for me, other than the 'for fun' walk around stuff I shoot at that distance, it's mostly people photos where the less edgy sharpness/contrast is complementary. As I've mentioned, the ZM50/2 has more snap at this distance. Maybe the new 50AA as well, though so far most samples from it have been at farther distances. The thinking might have been that it's a low-light reportage lens and this near-distance performance is an acceptable compromise. It is great to be able to shoot it wide open or very moderately stopped down and get really good infinity results. It just reinforces my opinion that the Lux are dual-character lenses wide open vs. stopped down. And the 50 Lux ASPH adds a near and far twist.
During one of my visits to the Munich Leica store I spent a bit of time trying various older 50mm lenses and the 50 Lux non-ASPH had a really nice character to it. Andrew had one during our meeting, but I didn't try it (too preoccupied with the Nocti and 75 Lux )

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:49 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.642 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

From that sculpture in the Distillery District...

50 Lux ASPH:

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.642 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Might as well roll over to a new page.

75 Lux:

50 Lux ASPH:

75 Lux:

I don't remember exactly, but I think the above shots were in the f/2-2.8 range because exposure was too hot wide open. You can see the shape of the aperture in the 50 Lux blur circles. Didn't bring the ND with me... oh well. Also, these would have mostly been around minimum focusing distance.

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password