Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              640      
       642              1100       1101       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.641 #1 · p.641 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much Zhangyue!

In fact, I can get away with photographing people because I pretend to be a tourist It works most of the time. Also these photos are mainly of poor people, they are nice and more accomodating. Middle and upper class people will not be as easy to photograph.

Very nice shots of St. Augustine by the way. No. 1, 5 and 6 are my favourites. Neat b/w conversions and I especially like that people are part of the photograaph without being dominant.

Your M9 is normal, by the way, nothing wrong with it. I hear the M will have an improved shutter noise. Not really lower, but it will much faster, somwehat like a DSLR.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:45 AM
charles.K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.641 #2 · p.641 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, beautiful warm glow in those shots! Excellent stuff. I find the Nocti f/1.0 handles back lighting well, as it does not lose any detail, and is easily PP'd.
Edward, loving your street series, and excellent consistent PP'ing
Michael, love the first and last shot Even in stealth mode, some M9's are harder in depressing the shutter than others. There is a definite variation. My older M9 was easy and light, and yet my M9P requires more pressure. I have had to change my technique for low light shots.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM
wstam

p.641 #3 · p.641 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great photo everyone Since my holiday in Melbourne last Nov, I have not been doing much shooting. This is one shot taken this morning at a temple:

Dragon Body

M9|50Lux

Edited on Feb 23, 2013 at 02:58 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:15 PM
wstam

p.641 #4 · p.641 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Another from the temple this morning:

M9|ZM25f2.8

Edited on Feb 23, 2013 at 02:59 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:26 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #5 · p.641 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles, thanks for your kind comments. Always appreciated

Wstam, nice photos, especially no. 2.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:43 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #6 · p.641 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I spent Monday afternoon in one of the poorer areas in Bangkok, shooting with my friend from FM forum, Helimat. Here are a few shots, all with the 35/2:

M9 + ZM 35/2 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:54 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #7 · p.641 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:56 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #8 · p.641 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:59 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #9 · p.641 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:01 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #10 · p.641 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uscmatt99
• •
p.641 #11 · p.641 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward,

Great sets again. What strikes me about your photographs is that even though the people are in a poor area, they are often smiling. That, or you are able to bring smiles to their faces and capture it with your interactions. Very well done!

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:29 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #12 · p.641 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much Matt! It seems to me that the poorer they are, the bigger the smiles.

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:47 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.641 #13 · p.641 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward - really difficult to pick a favourite - all are good. The people have interesting character, for sure.

Winston - like the detail of the dragon. As I've mentioned in the past, I could spend all day photographing in temples.

Michael, - like the first one the most. Completely in agreement about the shutter release/sound of the M9. Same behavior with my camera in S/C mode vs. ST. I have the release set up for soft & discreet. It would be great if Leica could release a firmware update to add a zero second option to the ST menu, instead of just off/2/12. The off setting is great if it accidentally slides over from C, but yes, I found it odd at first that one would have to barely touch the release to activate the ST. But it also makes sense because it reduces potential camera shake if only using the 2 second delay.
Regarding the sound of the M240. The ~30 minute video by Thorsten Overgaard of him and Stefan Daniel lying on the floor of Daniel's office at Photokina will answer your question. To my ear it sounds like a quick 'snick' rather than the drawn out clunk-buzz of the M9. In that St. Augustine church environment, I too would have felt extremely self-conscious shooting the M9. NEX would have been better, but the GXR in electronic shutter mode would have been best - absolutely silent. Compromise perhaps would have been an RX1? (though only 35mm). It's one of the first things I noticed about the M9 when I got it, and wasn't so happy that the 'silent' advance setting of my Canon 1DIII, especially with live view activated, was quieter.

BTW, there are a few more 'unofficial' M240 DNGs available from Dr. Rohde: http://the.me/more-leica-m-sample-images/

My comments: can't find any banding with these and all ISOs here looks better than his earlier ISO 320 samples. I noticed that while he's still using the same camera, these images at with FW 0.1.9.0 rather than 0.1.8.1. FWIW, the later images by Jono Slack were shot on FW 01.10.0 and a 'much' later serial number camera. The one of the girl on the couch again shows promise with highlight recovery, though no miracles will happen with totally blown details. In this respect, film still has a nicer highlight rolloff. Most of these files are again in the Adobe 2010 process, for some reason. If you reset them and change to 2012 process, you'll find, especially with the girl on couch photo, that highlight transitions are much better with much less clipping. The head & shoulder portrait is a difficult one, IMO. The skin tone just never seems right, to my eyes. I suspect though that there is some ambient light pollution in the image due to her skin tone transition to very yellow around the side of her head.

During the Toronto visit with Andrew, we stopped by the trendy Distillery District for a look around. There was another group doing a photo walk at the same time.

28 Cron - photo walker from other group photographing steam:

21 SEM - photo walker from other group photographing a somewhat gaudy sculpture:

So I gave it a shot as well:

90 Summarit:

21 SEM:

50 Lux ASPH:

75 Lux:

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:58 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #14 · p.641 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much Ron.

Beautiful set above. Love the color combinations in 4, 5 and 6.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:07 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.641 #15 · p.641 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

uscmatt99 wrote:
Edward,

Great sets again. What strikes me about your photographs is that even though the people are in a poor area, they are often smiling. That, or you are able to bring smiles to their faces and capture it with your interactions. Very well done!

+1 Great shots again.
Edward, you really find your camera I feel the passion from your photos. I especially like the smiles from those kids. Beautiful, bring smile on my face.

Charles, Edward, thanks for feedback on M9 shutter.

Charles, your experience with different shutter feeling from different body make me think it is even more unacceptable for $7000 camera. How that is possible for QC. My M3 has the exact feeling/sound with a few ones I tested at Camera show recently. Consider that is 50 years old design. I was think there might be some challenge for 1/4000 shutter before, but most sony, Fuji MILC has the same speed with much quieter/pleasing sound.

I also agree I need improve my technique to avoid blur. Sometime, I am not ready, and the chance of getting foto is so short within 1/10sh of sec. Like the one old man in church, I did not even have time focus right. But if I familiar with lens(21biogon) bump location, I should be able to get a in focus shot even without focus with 21 focal length.

I no longer chimp due to its poor electronics and mostly no time for that. But give me another chance, I can do better. I learned many things from trip like this. How to hold camera more stable, confirm lens performance before the trip, always bring enough Battery. Though all those lessens learn from failure

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:07 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #16 · p.641 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Completing the slum series with a few pics:

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:09 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #17 · p.641 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
+1 Great shots again.
Edward, you really find your camera I feel the passion from your photos. I especially like the smiles from those kids. Beautiful, bring smile on my face.

Thank you very much Zhangyue! I think it's rather my camera found me

I was very touched when I was shooting these photos, practically walking through their homes, and they were welcoming and cheerful despite the poverty. Amazing people.

Love your last set by the way. The symmetry of the first 2 shots, yet counterbalanced with the people. The third one is outstanding.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:18 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.641 #18 · p.641 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, love the play of light with the CN Tower and building. The 28Cron version is my favorite but I might be biased towards the 28Cron The photowalk set is also excellent. Actually I can learn a lot by just observing your post, always stellar.
Edward, is that guy riding a bike on a sidewalk? More excellent shots. #1, 2 & 6 are my favorites on the first set. The sets with the ZM35/2 are superb, especially the first 3 shots and the shots of kids on the bicycle(s). The demeanor of those people and kids is really touching and you captured them well.
Michael, very nice set with the ZM21. Last one is my favorite from the first set. I actually find the motion blur on #3 interesting, with the dark tones and movement making me wonder what's going on. The door shot on the last post is also excellent, resembling someone's eyes and mouth?
wstam, nice shots of the dragon and temple!
zhangyue wrote:
Now question for you guys, I use 'soft' setting, even with that, I feel I need push it quite hard to fire,(make the images easily get blur) however, if I use timer, a light touch is enough to fire the shutter. Do you guys have the same feeling? or my M9 need some service?

The sound is also loud compare NEX7 I had. What a pity. Leica's shutter is no longer discrete even compare to most P&S camera. I think HCB won't use Leica M on street.

I wonder M240 has any improvement on this?

I use discrete in quiet settings; shoot, bring the camera down, maybe inside a jacket or camera bag to damp the shutter re cock, else I use the normal shooting mode mostly. Never tried the soft mode. I was equally disappointed with my NEX7 shutter sound, still too loud. Hope the M240 is much quieter. You might want to check out the Sony RX1, its even quieter than a film M and it doesn't give up much in terms of IQ to the M9, except maybe the lack of RF focusing and discrete distance scale for zone focusing. If Sony could implement a snap focus function or a memory setting for manual focus on the RX1 (similar to the Ricoh GR), I'm prepared to ditch my M9 for street shooting since I use the 35FL most often.. but the Monochrom, that's a different story

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:24 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.641 #19 · p.641 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much Joe! The motorcycle was in a walking street, but it is common in Bangkok for motorcycles to drive on sidewalks.

As for the M9 stiff shutter button, it seems to be more common with the M9P and most recent M9 batches. The way to avoid movement IMO is to keep the index completely flat in horizontal position. This way I actually can't feel any resistance point in the shutter button.

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:01 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.641 #20 · p.641 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
As for the M9 stiff shutter button, it seems to be more common with the M9P and most recent M9 batches. The way to avoid movement IMO is to keep the index completely flat in horizontal position. This way I actually can't feel any resistance point in the shutter button.

+ 1 Trough I can't really feel any difference between the M8 and my M9P.

If pressing the button gets to hard to keep the camera still I think it might need a good clean. The leica's I used didn't feel that way.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password