Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              639      
       641              941       942       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.640 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

M9 + ZM 25/2.8 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:08 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.640 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:10 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.640 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ed another good solid set or should I say SETS and lenticular still looks like you're rock'n the M8

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:12 PM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.640 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, very nice set with the chairs, I kind of like the one where the focus is further into the picture, especially on the first Nocti shot. Personally I like both the Nocti and the 75Lux but I think the 75Lux is more versatile and like you said, also cheaper. I think the problem with the Nocti (and the 0.95 version) is that too many users tend to focus too much on the shallow DOF aspect and fail to really make nice and sharp photographs with enough of the subject in focus. In the right hands as seen with many pictures posted on this thread and elsewhere, the Nocti does shine with a rendering that to me looks a lot like a medium format lens in a 35mm setup, really beautiful.

Edward, more superb street shots. The wider focal length brings me into the scene, really nice. My favorites are #1 with the man sitting and the three shots on post p.640#2. Keep them coming!

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:09 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.640 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Ron, very nice set with the chairs, I kind of like the one where the focus is further into the picture, especially on the first Nocti shot. Personally I like both the Nocti and the 75Lux but I think the 75Lux is more versatile and like you said, also cheaper. I think the problem with the Nocti (and the 0.95 version) is that too many users tend to focus too much on the shallow DOF aspect and fail to really make nice and sharp photographs with enough of the subject in focus. In the right hands as seen with many
...Show more

I'm guilty of that, but a lot of it's been getting used to the DOF @ 0.95 and I've been adjusting my shooting accordingly.

Speak of the devil, 2 with the MM and Noct wide open, some of my friends had their second child last week:

L1004078 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1004045 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:57 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.640 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ryan, I think these two photos are great examples of f/0.95 put to practical use and not just as a shallow depth of field crutch/gimmick. I don't think you could have improved these by shooting at f/1.4, 2.8, etc. My take on what Joe means is something like a close portrait where only one eye is in focus, or the feeling is a bit odd. For example the model portrait you posted a while back shot in-studio with available light w/o with the Nocti vs. the 90AA stopped down images. If you flip between the two, the Nocti shot has a bit of a strange look and the 90AA's rendition is more natural to my eye.

During my meeting with Andrew, the time available to try out his gear was naturally somewhat limited, so I shot the Nocti wide open, in part to see what the fuss was all about. Truthfully, I hadn't even thought to do some comparisons at various aperture settings. I guess my subconscious thinking was if I'm going to stop it down, then I could just use the Lux. But in hindsight, obviously the Nocti will retain specific characteristics setting it apart from other lenses as it's stopped down. Maybe if I ever have the chance to use one for an extended period of time with a variety of subjects, I'll get a better feel for it. I do like it because it seems more lively and less perfect than the Lux ASPH. It's also cool to shoot with a lens that was deigned around when I was born. Gives a feel for where cutting edge technology was at the time, and just how good it still is today!

Edward, these are really excellent! I like the sandal seller a lot. I agree with Joe, your use of the 25 here at much closer quarters than how you usually shoot the 35 or 50 really draws one into the scenes for a much more intimate feeling. It's a reason I really like 21mm and wider. It pretty much forces one to be in among the action.

David, thanks for the profile update. Cool alt use of your M8. Looks like you're all set for adding the M240 once it starts shipping.

And along the line of comparisons again, here we have the 50/1 and the 50 Lux ASPH both wide open:

What you don't see very well at 1000px is that the Nocti has a fair amount of SA, most noticeable in the rope, and an overall softer, gentler feeling. Again, maybe not the best scenario in which to really show off the Nocti..

Here's Nocti vs. 90 Summarit, though not framed identically.

And another one with the Nocti:

Feb 11, 2013 at 09:48 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.640 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ryan, definitely did not mean you and definitely not those two shots excellent examples you just posted. Both of these are actually really good pics of how the lens draws very pleasingly, dreamy but still sharp where the subject is. Maybe I should have been more specific with the examples and as Ron said, those are normally portraits up close to MFD with one eye or just the nose in focus. Photographers might think the shallow DOF is really cool and interesting but I can probably say that the subject matter will not appreciate their portrait that way unless if that was the specific goal of the shot?

Ron, good comparisons. Hard to pick between the Nocti and Lux on #1 in real shooting situations? I do like the dreamy rendering on the Nocti. The picture of the barrel is actually another excellent example of the way the f/1.0 draws. Really nice transitions from front to back. Its like a longer FL rendering in a 50mm lens body?

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:20 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.640 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Diglloyd seems to think the new M240 sensor has noise/banding issues, from playing with posted images. Not sure if he is looking at older proto shots or not.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.640 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

wayne seltzer wrote:
Diglloyd seems to think the new M240 sensor has noise/banding issues, from playing with posted images. Not sure if he is looking at older proto shots or not.

I think that we need to see images from an M240 with the completed firmware after release by Leica before anyone can and should draw any conclusions. It is much too early to make such suggestions and observations.

Rich

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.640 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Don't worry Joe, I never thought I was being called out

One thing I've come to realize is the 0.95 is not a good MFD lens. I've had to adjust my mindset of how to use a 50mm.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • •
p.640 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward, excellent street shots! I really like the perspective with the ZM 25, and love the lighting of #1 in the second set

Joe, yes I am guilty as charged too, of using the Nocti @f/1.0 too often also Some night street shots, this is the only option f/1.0 at 2500 ISO with the M9. IMO the best f stop for the Nocti f/1.0, for portraits at 1m to 1.5m is f/1.2 to f/1.4, as this will usually capture both eyes and nose in focus. At 2m, f/1.0 will usually allow both eyes to be relatively sharp. The recent wedding series I did for a couple with solely the M-M, 320 ISO base, the f stops ranged from f/2.8 to f4, 5.6, and still had the Mandler look to the shots. The link I have previously posted, but I have re posted for those who have not seen it: http://kalnins.zenfolio.com/p444916329

Ryan, beautiful shots! It would be so hard to otherwise separate the background in these shots, and great for maximizing the shutter and ISO.

Ron, great examples!!! Hard to pick the difference between the 50 Lux and Nocti on screen, except the Lux seems to be sharper and slightly different feel to the bokeh. Both excellent on their own. As Joe has mentioned, excellent showcase of the Nocti with the shot of the barrel in the late afternoon!

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:21 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.640 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron - that shot of the barrel is really neat. Nice light and great oof rendering! It seems to me that most of my favorite shots with the Nocti are low light situations, shot wide open, and most importantly at "medium" distances.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:39 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.640 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Charles, I think if I had a Nocti, I'll probably have the aperture ring glued wide open too

Wayne, I haven't been paying attention to the recent M240 pics. I'll probably wait for the actual camera to ship. Word is that it is shipping soon? Meanwhile the RX1 is keeping me really happy and occupied.

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:42 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.640 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Charles, I think if I had a Nocti, I'll probably have the aperture ring glued wide open too

Wayne, I haven't been paying attention to the recent M240 pics. I'll probably wait for the actual camera to ship. Word is that it is shipping soon? Meanwhile the RX1 is keeping me really happy and occupied.

Glad you are enjoying your RX1 along side your M9.
There was a separate thread I read where you all were discussing these early M240 shots but I can not find it now. Just curious and hoping that the new M sensor has the low noise and great DR like the Sony sensors.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:36 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.640 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks guys. In hindsight, I should have shot the barrel scene with the Lux ASPH as well because I suspect it would have shown a fairly different background rendering from the Nocti than seen in the flotation ring and ladder scene, where the background is farther away and much less detailed.

Ryan: what are you finding to be an issue at MFD?

Gary, I don't think it needs to be a low light situation, but of course, that is where f/1.0 is quite useful. I think you're right - it's the relationship between camera to subject to background distance.

Charles, thanks for the gallery link. Those images are quite informative about the Nocti. I'm really impressed by how well it handled the strong backlighting when you were in the church shooting towards the entrance. I've experienced similar situations at numerous weddings, primarily with the 85L, with somewhat lesser results. Did you bump contrast at all for those backlit shots in post? I just shot something with the 50L in a church with mottled patches of sunlight in the background and was somewhat surprised to see how quickly the lens lost contrast when part of the foreground subject was adjacent to the bright background areas... Whenever I get the new M, I'll have to do a side by side of the 50 Lux and 50L. What I also see in the wedding shots, and like about the Nocti, is how it retains some structure to the out of focus background elements compared to my experience with the quite neutral look of the Lux ASPH (and I assume the f/0.95 Nocti), as well as the slight bright edge to the out of focus specular light blobs.

Wayne: there's a thread here discussing the banding a bit. Unfortunately I started off by looking at and aggressively pushing the bread loaf shot, which exhibits the worst banding. It's apparently from an earlier FW version and an earlier preproduction camera than the map shot. But the map shot, when pushed, does show pattern banding as well, just that the lines don't have as clear an edge as seen in the bread shot. There's a pretty good discussion about the images (and a link to the files) in this thread at LUF where Jono Slack and Chris Tribble chime in about the images. I've gone through all of the DNG files in LR, including some of the earlier unofficially released files, and not all of them show banding. The 'normal' scenes, where even +3 practically blows out the image, mostly hold up well. My impression is the dynamic range of the new sensor is quite good. The inside shot of the girl with the dog handles highlight recovery quite nicely. As does the unofficially released bar scene. This is quite reassuring coming from the M9 where overexposure is not a good thing. Having had limited experience with the Sony sensors, I can't really make a comparison, but it feels like the M240 might not be quite as clean when pushed aggressively.

There's some question about why Leica would release such samples, knowing that the files will be pushed and prodded excessively. I can only speculate, but it might serve to temper expectations that otherwise seem to be through the roof for the M240. It would also be difficult for M240 buyers to argue they didn't know what they were getting with the camera, as this has now been quite thoroughly discussed. At the least it would appear Leica isn't trying to cover up deficiencies in the camera. I agree we need to see what they deliver once the cameras start shipping, but I would be (pleasantly) surprised to see absolutely no signs of pattern banding. It'll probably be more like the M9, where banding sometimes exists, but often isn't noticeable in 'normal' use.

The barrel shot above was at this building under renovation:

Wandering around to the backlit side, and by happenstance peering in through a window, revealed this nice find:

There was someone working inside (could hear the power tools) kicking up the dust. Would have been great to get a figure in the scene, but the sun set so quickly it was nice to just get this.

First shot with the 28 Cron and the rest with the 90 Summarit.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:12 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.640 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for all the info Ron and that's some sweet light in those last shots, the first of which is my favorite.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:49 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.640 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks a lot for the nice comments: Allen, Joe, Ron, Charles. Most appreciated.

I agree that wide angles bring you in the middle of the action. I should use the 18 and 25 more often

Ryan, cute kids and nice rendering of the MM and Noct.

Ron, the last set is amazing. Beautiful light.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:50 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.640 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Just to finish the series:

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:54 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.640 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Two day away from this thread and so many wonderful pics. Suddenly, there is Leica Favor in this Forum, Both R and M thread are two fastest moving thread now
Ron and Edward, you guys post too many wonderful images to comment individually.

P637:
Ron, Both wonderful set. I enjoy the way you control light and your good taste about contrast and color.

Edward, the train in Bokeh is my favorite.

Winston, Another wonderful BW shot. focal point is well defined in image with dramatic ship 'bokeh' in background. As long as stable composition with shape and lines: excellent composition as always.

P638:

Ron, the fist set in this pg is my favorite images you posted recently. They are just outstanding. The last one of 2nd set is also my favorite. I spend quite a time look your images You make Leica color files shining.

Edward, I really like the fist one in the first set with blue workers sit around station and smile to you. full of live, I envy you can do this. People are so friendly with your camera and have eyes communication with you in many of your images. I never feel the same when I was in China. Most people stare you before you even lift your camera, I don't know why people in my country become such unfriendly now days.(maybe I was mostly in the city, rural place might be better)

I also like the one may people liked: the guard on station facing the train.
Winston, I like that portrait

P639,

Ron, Thanks for the comparison. I can't pick my favorite as they are all pretty.

Edward, Another nice set, looks like you are following that red shirt guy I can imagine you were doing the 'photo hunting' on street Wish I can spend a day or two at San Francisco doing the same thing.

lenticular, I wonder how you can focus? use different body focus? or use distance scale and focus bracket?

P640

Edwards, I like the first one in 1st set and last one with pretty lady in red dress. Nice perspective. I know the guy must be the one in previous pg

Ryan, Beautiful portrait from Noct.

Ron, Nice lighting series. I like the 28cron composition the best.

Feb 12, 2013 at 08:56 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.640 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Now some picture from ST Augustine.

All by 21

Some of them are totally blur because of hand shake. f2.8, ISO640 with 1/10ish shutter. The room is very dark and quiet. I feel the shutter design is very poor. I will have many more sharp fotos if with M3 shutter.

Now question for you guys, I use 'soft' setting, even with that, I feel I need push it quite hard to fire,(make the images easily get blur) however, if I use timer, a light touch is enough to fire the shutter. Do you guys have the same feeling? or my M9 need some service?

The sound is also loud compare NEX7 I had. What a pity. Leica's shutter is no longer discrete even compare to most P&S camera. I think HCB won't use Leica M on street.

I wonder M240 has any improvement on this?

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:06 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password