Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              638      
       640              942       943       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

sebboh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.639 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Lenticular: hopefully someone can offer a definite answer. All that comes to mind is perhaps the filter has a different thread pitch? Does it say 39mm on the ring? Anything else? I would go to a camera shop and see if they have a generic 39mm item, such as a filter or step ring to try on the lens. I doubt the lens would not be 39mm.

yeah, i don't know about the version IV 50 cron (i thought it had normal 39mm filter threads), but weird filter designs is a common thing with leica lenses of a certain vintage. my 40 cron has 39mm threads but a different thread pitch. this is because the lens was designed for the silly proprietary series 5.5 filters (which suck incidently) instead of normal filters. as it turns out the filter threads on my 40 cron do perfectly match the pitch of m39 screw in lenses, perhaps the ones on your 50 cron will too? not that will help you much, they don't make filters that match that as far as i know. i use an m39 body cap as a lens cap for my cron now though.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.639 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Outstanding!

AGREE!!!!

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:34 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.639 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Another great series Ron and Winston love the shot of the kids.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM
wstan

p.639 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward, many great shots - it seems people in Thailand are very kind to photographers? Can't imagine the same thing here

Ron, I like your construction series, esp the one with the bear and the last two. Great lighting I would never see where I am.

thanks, airfrogusmc, lenticular11, and others. I'm still having trouble with many of your real name here. Got to do some deep analysis

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.639 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

wstan wrote:
Edward, many great shots - it seems people in Thailand are very kind to photographers? Can't imagine the same thing here

Ron, I like your construction series, esp the one with the bear and the last two. Great lighting I would never see where I am.

thanks, airfrogusmc, lenticular11, and others. I'm still having trouble with many of your real name here. Got to do some deep analysis

Yeah me to..

Allen is my name..

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:02 AM
wstan

p.639 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for the heads up

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:11 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.639 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Great work lately here. I have been far too busy to get out an take some pics though....

Ron - once again, very nice. Perfect PP to my eye.
Edward - very strong set(s), great work!

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:00 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.639 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Great shots all!

Sorry had been away all week.

Charles, excellent shots with the M9P going all the back to p.635!
Allen, some excellent and varied shots with the MM, love those abstracts.
Edward, excellent series of street shots with the ZM35/2 and 25/2.8. Some of my favorites, the B&W night shot on p.635, the 4th shot with the ZM25 at the train station with the man and forklift in background, and the one with the guard staring down the station and train
Michael, excellent shots with the ZM21 at St Augustine and also the 35Cron shots from Suzhou!
Winston, keep those post coming. p.635, worker's dock pics are excellent, especially the first one, great composition! I'm also a fan of the 50Crons, all versions. I actually sold my 50 Lux ASPH and kept a 50Cron instead especially for shooting portraits.
Ron, I'll think twice before visiting Toronto again Enjoy all of your recent post, all superb! The snowstorm (deer shot is excellent!), Toronto walk (love those textures), the construction set and teddy bear! I agree with you, the Nocti lenses seem to look and work best at mid or further distances, draws out all of the character for the $$ spent on those lenses. So what do you think of the 75Lux?
Douglas, excellent shots with the 50CronV1, especially the pink chairs and their reflection in the mirror.
Ryan, more excellent work with the MM and 35Cron! Really nice.
Jabberwockt, nice set with the CV40

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:09 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.639 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

airfrogusmc wrote:
AGREE!!!!

I don't normally quote pictures, but this one is fantastic.

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:41 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.639 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks again guys!

wstan wrote:

I agree - at least a first name listed in one's profile would be helpful. FYI, if you're not logged in or a member here, you don't see all the buttons below each post (i.e. profile, PM, posts, etc).

Joe - thanks! Regarding the 75 Lux... I would get it over the 50 Nocti, I think, even though I'm not much of a 75mm shooter at the moment. It's also more 'affordable.' At first I was using the 50mm frames out of habit - oops! There's more to come from it and I think it's extremely complementary to the 50 Lux ASPH. Also the focus throw on it is perfect. Not too fast, so precise focus is pretty easy. Same with the f/1 Nocti.

Just some comparison shots here:

50 Nocti f/1:

75 Lux:

90 Summarit:

50 Nocti:

75 Lux:

90 Summarit at a farther focusing distance:

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.639 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thank you very much for your nice comments, Ron, lenticular, Allen, Winston, Gary, Joe, Ryan.

Ron, love the set around union station. 2, 3, 5, 6 and 7 are my favourites. Nice comparison btw, but can't pick a favourite lens. That's why you've got them all?

Winston, people are very friendly around here, especially the poor ones. Very approachable.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:37 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.639 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

More of the same:

M9 + ZM 25/2.8 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:40 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.639 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Joe, thanks, much appreciated
Edward, really enjoying the train series. The station master with his back to the shot is superb
Ron, excellent construction set. Very nice comparison between the 50 Nocti f/1.0, 75 Lux and 90 Summarit. Hard to pick the subtleties here, but with portraits I feel there is a very pronounced difference. Also the way the colours are rendered with low and medium lighting. Great stuff

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:51 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.639 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Profile edited to respond to Winston and Ron!

Sebboh - thanks for your experience with Leica filters/lenses. I'm not around for the next two weekends, so trying a generic 39mm filter in a shop will have to wait.

More great shots, Ron and Edward.

I love the steel bench comparisons. I think I like the 75 Lux from that comparo.
I can't afford either the 75 Lux or a Nocti, especially since I like shooting landscapes, motorcycle sport or occasionally BIF, so can't see myself putting all my eggs into the Leica basket for now.

My solution for overall utility is as below...

just kidding, although I did take test f8 shots at 28, 50 and 85

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.639 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

And how do you focus?

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM
wstan

p.639 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

lenticular11 wrote:
Profile edited to respond to Winston and Ron!

Thanks, David

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:31 AM
wstan

p.639 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward, like the last one the most - nice set of street photos! If I don't have the 21/2.8 Biogon I'd get the 25/2.8! It's really sharp

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.639 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

@Carsten - I simply zone-focussed. It's not something I would advocate obviously, but I have a CY-M adapter, hence the trial

Three files all produced as a 1-step jpeg from RAW. No PP whatsoever.

Mighty M8...

Vario-Sonnar 28-85/3.5-4.5, f8, 28mm

Vario-Sonnar 28-85/3.5-4.5, f8, 50mm

Vario-Sonnar 28-85/3.5-4.5, f8, 85mm

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.639 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Charles, Winston, thank you very much

Lenticular, you focus is miraculously accurate with the Vario-Sonnar

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:01 PM