Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              636      
       638              1007       1008       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.637 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Sorry for not commenting on previous pages - there's so much - great to see this thread moving along at a fast pace!
Going back to 635:

Michael - very interesting hotel. I was in St. Augustine about 10 years ago and totally missed it. IIRC, there was something about the town that's not 'typical Florida.' Looks like you got a lot of good material out of your trip to China, despite having to look after your kids and other family responsibilities.

Winston - I agree with Hilmar, your b&w conversions are very nice. Cool that you're able to get that close to the SU-27. An airshow? The dockhands images are also cool, along with the Jakarta old harbour image a page earlier.

Allen - the abstract a couple pages back and the swing photo are great! The MM looks very impressive at high ISOs. Still very smooth.
Edward - great variety of images, very fun to look through. Very 'chrome' colours, as always!
Charles - nice portraits! I finally got a chance to experience a bit of the Noctilux f/1 'poison' a few days ago. It could be dangerous...!

Thanks Gary! Not sure what it will be like in the NE, but around here it's supposed to hit +7 on Monday, so it will probably be quite soggy.

So back on Wednesday I met up with fellow Leicaphile Andrew G for a photo walk trip to Toronto. We didn't really have a specific itinerary, but it was a great day to wander around and try out some of his impressive lens collection!

Here are some from Union Station:

90 Summarit:

50 Nocti f/1

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:55 PM
joakim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.637 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, maybe I'll get accused of blasphemy but I like the 90 Summarit photos better than then Noctilux

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:34 PM
seekuh
• •
p.637 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I agree with joakim, Ron. As always I admire your retouching skills. Very impressing. The first image pops so much.

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:49 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.637 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

wstan - beautiful scooter picture!

seekuh - The picture is taken about 90km S of Canberra, looking roughly west. Yes, the subject has indeed much character. I haven't asked his permission to post, so that's all the detail I'll give (it's all good though!).

Ron - I also agree with the other two posts re preferring the Summarit 90 shots of Toronto rail station. I particularly like that first one! (BTW I have a nice 70-300 Contax N bought from Andrew G via this forum!).

Edited on Feb 09, 2013 at 09:09 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:06 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.637 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:06 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.637 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
Ron, maybe I'll get accused of blasphemy but I like the 90 Summarit photos better than then Noctilux

Horses for courses. The Noctilux does not excel at technical subject matter, but move on to people, and oh boy, that 90 Summarit will gather dust in the bag!

Edited on Feb 09, 2013 at 10:52 PM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:18 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.637 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

The 35 Lux FLE wide open

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:33 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.637 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks Doug. I agree that image held up pretty well, though much of it is light areas where grain normally wouldn't be much issue. Of note, the group of people to the left of the tank were dodged another stop, so some areas have been pushed 4 stops. I did apply some negative shadow to some areas that were beginning to look a bit too washed out. In terms of grain, I don't think it's any worse than shooting at ISO 1250.

I thought I read somewhere that the degree of edge correction applied by the M9 is ISO dependent,
...Show more

Howdy, Ron. To follow up on this post about vignetting correction, you are correct. I believe it was the first firmware fix that decreases the vignetting correction as the ISO goes up. Of course, if one stays at ISO 160 in all types of light, like I've been doing, there may be issues when pushing 4 or 5 stops, because, due to the vignetting compensation, the vignetted areas may be pushed more like 5-6 stops, and things get ugly and blotchy around the edges sometimes. On the flipside, if you use CornerFix, it may be advantageous to use a single ISO, because the variable vignetting correction makes profiling difficult, so it's technically necessary to use a different CornerFix profile for each ISO if you code your lens.

Like Edward mentioned, I was considering just not using any coding at all with my 50 Summicron collapsible, but, after doing that for a few days, I've come to realize that there is a noticeable (to me) amount of color shift, even though it is a 50mm lens.

Since I don't want to mess with CornerFix, I think I'm going to use coding with the 50 collapsible. I think I'm still going to shoot ISO 160 most of the time, when I only need to push anywhere from zero to a few stops, but, when I go into obviously dark environments, I'll raise the ISO to something like 1250 (haven't decided exactly which ISO to use) and keep it there.

p.s. it just hit me that Lightroom has that new flat field plug-in, so I may consider turning off coding and just use that. hmmm...

Feb 09, 2013 at 09:39 PM
wstan

p.637 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, Lenticular11 - thanks!

Ron, thanks - I love your Union station shots - gotta love that Summarit 90, I love mine too!

airfrogusmc - nice BWs, love the 1st one!

Have a nice weekend, everyone

Feb 09, 2013 at 11:43 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.637 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks.

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ryankarr
• • •
p.637 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I like the 2nd one Airfrogusmc. The 35mm summicron is amazing, but I still find myself lusting after the FLE.

Ron, love the first 2 especially.

Some MM + 35mm Cron, pretty much everything I shoot is with a yellow or orange filter these days.

L1004192 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1004233 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:31 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.637 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan I like'm both

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:37 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.637 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice shots of the storm Ron. I had no desire to leave my warm house,but here's some shots of the day after in my neighbourhood. M9 and ZM 25

Feb 10, 2013 at 01:45 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.637 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks guys!

Sorry for not commenting on previous pages - there's so much - great to see this thread moving along at a fast pace!
Going back to 635:

Michael - very interesting hotel. I was in St. Augustine about 10 years ago and totally missed it. IIRC, there was something about the town that's not 'typical Florida.' Looks like you got a lot of good material out of your trip to China, despite having to look after your kids and other family responsibilities.

Winston - I agree with Hilmar, your b&w conversions are very nice. Cool that you're able to get that
...Show more

WOW really nice Ron. Love the first one with the clock. All are good.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:13 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.637 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

rscheffler wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that the degree of edge correction applied by the M9 is ISO dependent, with less applied to high ISO images because it minimizes edge noise/artifacts. So, this could be a downside of the ISO-less approach with lenses that require stronger edge corrections, such as many wide angles.

douglasf13 wrote:
Howdy, Ron. To follow up on this post about vignetting correction, you are correct. I believe it was the first firmware fix that decreases the vignetting correction as the ISO goes up. Of course, if one stays at ISO 160 in all types of light, like I've been doing, there may be issues when pushing 4 or 5 stops, because, due to the vignetting compensation, the vignetted areas may be pushed more like 5-6 stops, and things get ugly and blotchy around the edges sometimes. On the flipside, if you use CornerFix, it may be advantageous to use a single
...Show more

Thanks for confirming this is the case. I definitely agree as it's one side effect I'm seeing with the ISO-less approach to the M9, but more so for some of the wider lenses, which of course, makes perfect sense. The solution would be to disable lens coding and apply Cornerfix, LCC or Adobe Flat Field correction, but is a bit of a hassle too. And completely agree with your observations regarding coding and the 50. I noticed this also with a number of lenses. It was particularly a problem with my hand-coded ZM glass, where from time to time the camera wouldn't read the coding and I'd get sequences where half the images had coding applied and the other half didn't. Invariably the uncoded images had considerably different color quality - typically much colder/bluer. I've also seen this with 50mm lenses. One of the lenses I got to try from Andrew's inventory was the 75 Lux, but it was uncoded and I didn't bother to set it manually (because I would invariably forget to switch it back). Compared to shots with my 50 Lux ASPH and other lenses in the same locations, its WB was consistently more greenish. So it's not just a matter of vignetting and edge color shift correction, but also overall color tweaks. And I think this is one slight disadvantage of using ZM or CV lenses on the M9 - if one wants in-camera corrections, it means making due with the closest good enough Leica profile, which in some cases might not be all that perfect of a match.

Based on initial suggestions on LUF from some of the beta testers, it appears much of this will no longer be an issue with the M240. But, I'm now a bit concerned about whether Leica will be able to figure out how to eliminate the banding we're seeing in their official preproduction samples, when those files are aggressively adjusted in post.

Re: Noctilux. I agree with Carsten. For these kinds of 'technical' non-people photos, the Nocti isn't necessarily being put to best use. But it definitely adds its own flair to image rendering in any situation. What surprised me most, perhaps, was that it's technically very good wide open at farther distances. For example, at near infinity, it's quite sharp in the center of the frame and doesn't seem to have obvious purple fringing issues in high contrast light, that other, cheaper, fast lenses do (such as the CV50/1.5, 75/1.8). Unfortunately, during our Toronto meeting, I didn't use the Nocti in any situations that really would have made it sing, as we've seen many times in Charles's street portraits. Maybe for the price of a 50/1.0, I might be more inclined towards the 50AA. Actually, while money put towards lenses tends to hold better over time, I'm more inclined to apply that sum towards the M240...

Ryan - great set, especially the last one! I also enjoyed the set you posted a few pages back.
Allen - nice details. Seems your photos have recently shifted away from people on the street - just mixing it up a bit?
lenticular11 - Andrew's a great guy! He mentioned he has sold most of his Contax N inventory now... I overlooked your post on the previous page - congrats on the 50 Cron and off to a good start with it!
Thanks Cal - don't blame you for wanting to stay in. A few times, while sitting along the ridge in the woods with the wind blowing across, I almost couldn't feel the shutter release because my fingers were so cold! I also didn't have any snowshoes and by the end of the day my legs were feeling like lead from having to plow through ~30cm of snow all day. Nice set. I was reading the page from the bottom up, and when I saw #2, for some reason I had the feeling it was in Ontario, before I saw your name. I also went out today, but compared to yesterday, it felt so undramatic. Maybe the actual experience of being out in the storm biased my opinion. Today it was more about details, such as patterns in the snow, than overall scenes (I'll get to those photos eventually).

In the meantime, some more from Toronto around Union Station:

90 Summarit:

50 Nocti:

21 SEM:

Here's one with the 50 Nocti that, as I mentioned above, impressed me for it's wide open performance at farther distances. In the full-rez file, sharpness is really good centrally, without any fringing, etc. Was done with a polarizer in order to be able to shoot wide open.

But then, I suppose one could use 'any old' 50mm lens for this...

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:19 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.637 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I'm only away a couple of days and look what you guys did. Amazing work everyone.

And thank you very much for your kind comments: Winston, Joakim, Ron, Allen.

Ron, the station shots are all amazing. Love the dark tones and almost melancholic atmosphere. The snow set is very nice too. My favourite is the last shot.

Allen, beautiful shadows with the mysterious baby.

Ryan, love the tunnel shot.

Seekuh, nice set in the english garden.

Douglas, love the pink shot.

Lenticular, nice portrait.

Winston, the Vespa shot looks great. Lovely tones and composition. Excellent b/w conversion too.

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:22 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.637 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I was out shooting with a fellow FM member yesterday. Took many shots, and barely starting to PP but here are a few with the ZM 25/2.8:

M9 + ZM 25/2.8 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:25 AM
wstan

p.637 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

A photo for today; a bicycle at the dock - M9, 50/1.1 Nokton at f/1.4

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:33 AM
wstan

p.637 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, I esp. like your last photo!

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:35 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.637 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
...Thanks Cal - don't blame you for wanting to stay in. A few times, while sitting along the ridge in the woods with the wind blowing across, I almost couldn't feel the shutter release because my fingers were so cold! I also didn't have any snowshoes and by the end of the day my legs were feeling like lead from having to plow through ~30cm of snow all day. Nice set. I was reading the page from the bottom up, and when I saw #2, for some reason I had the feeling it was in Ontario, before I saw your
...Show more

I'll be interested to see what you do with the patterns in the snow. I freely admit I have a great deal to learn, I shot some interesting wind patterns in the snow, but my post-processing skills failed me. My attempts to enhance the patterns ended up as something that resembled 'oatmeal' Snow is tricky.

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:37 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password