Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              631      
       633              1027       1028       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.632 #1 · p.632 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Gary - really nice! And what a great location for some 'pond' hockey. A bit OT, but are those Canada Goose jackets any good? I've been seeing a TON of them all over this year. Seems like they're the hot cold weather fashion item this winter, and not cheap either. Maybe that's why.....

Yep - those jackets are very comfortable and more importantly, warm. Pretty trendy but they do the job very well. I don't have one of their jackets but I do have a touque. Nice pics of YYZ and also that 50lux sunset shot above. Very nice.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:53 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.632 #2 · p.632 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edwin, beautiful shots!
Ron, I was wondering if you were shooting an ad for Microsoft or other tech company on the first set 5th shots onwards are superb! I'll have to check them out if I pass by. The second set is also excellent, love the lines on #2. Looks like a worthwhile walk.
Michael, excellent shot of the cathedral with the ZM21.

----
Still sorting my older pics and uploading some to flickr. These were taken back in 2011 at the Topsfield Fair, MA. M9 35Lux ASPH v1

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.632 #3 · p.632 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, Joe, very nice work! A pleasure to look at.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:47 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.632 #4 · p.632 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edwin, wonderful 75 Lux shots!
Edward, very tempting food shots! Love your shots with the ZM 85.
Michael, very nice series, particularly #2 and 3, and the shot of the church
Ron, amazing floating cubes! I had to figure the perspective of where you may have these shots Superb set with snow scapes.
Joe, really nice B&W set. I love your shots with the 35 Lux Asph V1.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:58 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.632 #5 · p.632 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments.

Ron, another great set. How you manage to change lens at that condition ?
Joe, nice process BW. especially the last one.

another from Savannah
21mm

some random from 50lux

I found my 50lux drift again, back focus. unfortunately, I found out that by inspect my mis focused photos, a lot. I don't chimp anymore, which is bad. Lesson learned, always check your system, especially for traveling.

Edited on Feb 02, 2013 at 01:57 AM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:00 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.632 #6 · p.632 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:

28 Cron:

Love this footprints in the snow series.

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:17 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.632 #7 · p.632 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Joe, great set! There seems to be so much going on in the first image.

Michael Z: Oh no! Sorry to hear about recurring 50 Lux issues.
I like the steps!
As for changing lenses... not sure exactly what you mean? I.e., because it's cold? Not a big problem. A few years back I found some nice gloves that are thin, but have Windstopper insulation, meaning they're pretty good in most conditions I experience around the freezing point while allowing good dexterity. And they have a very useful grippy silicone-like palm and fingers, which make handling small items such as lenses really easy. For those in Canada, they're available from MEC. I shoot with a small courier bag that probably looks more like a murse, but is convenient for carrying the camera and 4 lenses. The lenses are uncapped, and in individual internal pockets, so it's a pretty simple matter of switching them out quickly.

Charles, the tank is about 7x3.5x1m in size, consisting of what looks to be about six layers of plexi fused together, at about 20-30cm total thickness. As a side note, it would be interesting to read a blurb on how exactly this was constructed. Sharpness through this is surprisingly good if shooting straight on. Tilting up/down/side will induce smearing and what looks like very strong CA, and in some situations, prismatic effects. But it's part of the fun and effect. The first shot in the previous series was looking up the side at an extreme angle, resulting in the smeared effect (the image was rotated 180 degrees to add an element of abstraction).

For a lot of these I basically just pressed the end of the lens hood against the glass and tried to focus as fast as possible. When the air jets are running the cubes move around quite fast, tend to quickly drift out of patches of good light and are challenging to keep in focus with the 50 Lux! Less of a problem with the 21, but then the 70cm minimum focusing distance was a bit of a hindrance. For the 21mm shots I basically just left the focus at 70cm and shot, figuring something will be in focus. Looking back through the take I really like the perspective I got from the 21 and am thinking of going back with the CV12 when I'm there again in a few weeks. I like the 50 Lux shots for the ability to play with focus layers and isolate some details. The 28 kind of fell into a middle area that didn't excite me while reviewing the edit. The perspective wasn't as dramatic, nor was the focus isolation.

In the 20-30 minutes I was there, many others stopped to take their own (smartphone) photos. Interestingly, almost everyone views/photographs the installation facing the wide side, which I guess makes sense, since it's like watching a TV and you can see all the action. But nearly all my shots were from the narrow side, which I found much more interesting because of the depth and the reflections off the sides, which eliminated the distracting background elements (such as the huge illuminated Subway restaurant signage nearby). I was there in the early evening and ambient light was quite low compared to the installation's lighting system, which resulted in about a 3-stop exposure difference from ambient, helping drop out external background elements. I also skewed the WB considerably. 'Normal' WB would probably result in a more neutral, slightly cyan/turquoise colour scheme. Instead, I wanted to go for a feeling of deeper, cooler blues.

Here's a grab shot with the 50 Lux viewing it from the side. The tank doesn't look that dark in person, but because of the in-built spot lights, the cubes were blowing out, so the shot is 3 stops underexposed from ambient, which was then pulled back up in post (basically testing the ISO-less nature of the M9).

Here's one with the 21 shot from the corner, looking down the long side to give an idea of the difference from ambient.

And a few more...

A couple with the 28 Cron that I felt didn't work out as well:

Compared against the 21:

And one more from the 50:

Feb 01, 2013 at 09:58 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.632 #8 · p.632 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Cool shots, Ron. It looks like that "ISO-less" shot worked out pretty well.

On a side note, I'm realizing that, whether raising ISO in-camera or in the converter, the auto-vignetting correction of the M9 can really cause issues in lowlight, because the areas of the shot that are supposed to have some vignetting are pushed another stop or two by the camera, and that can lead to some weird, blotchy areas in low light. As Edward recommended to me a while back, I think I'll turn off vignetting correction/coding for 50mm and above.

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:16 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.632 #9 · p.632 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Doug. I agree that image held up pretty well, though much of it is light areas where grain normally wouldn't be much issue. Of note, the group of people to the left of the tank were dodged another stop, so some areas have been pushed 4 stops. I did apply some negative shadow to some areas that were beginning to look a bit too washed out. In terms of grain, I don't think it's any worse than shooting at ISO 1250.

I thought I read somewhere that the degree of edge correction applied by the M9 is ISO dependent, with less applied to high ISO images because it minimizes edge noise/artifacts. So, this could be a downside of the ISO-less approach with lenses that require stronger edge corrections, such as many wide angles.

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:49 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.632 #10 · p.632 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks Doug. I agree that image held up pretty well, though much of it is light areas where grain normally wouldn't be much issue. Of note, the group of people to the left of the tank were dodged another stop, so some areas have been pushed 4 stops. I did apply some negative shadow to some areas that were beginning to look a bit too washed out. In terms of grain, I don't think it's any worse than shooting at ISO 1250.

I thought I read somewhere that the degree of edge correction applied by the M9 is ISO dependent,
...Show more

That's interesting about the edge correction at different ISOs. I didn't realize that. I'm only shooting 50, so that doesn't really hurt me, but that's something to potentially bring up when discussing this "ISO-less" technique.

To be sure that I understand you, you're saying that the camera applies less vignetting correction as you increase ISO?

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • •
p.632 #11 · p.632 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Yes, that is my understanding, but it would be good to have this verified.

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:15 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.632 #12 · p.632 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks, Ron.

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:18 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.632 #13 · p.632 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Douglas, I finally gave up on auto vignetting and turned it off for all lenses. With any of my lenses, there is no more vignetting than what I used to get with the A900 and ZA lenses, and it never bothered me then. I too realized that less vignetting correction is applied at high iso, but still the corners were ugly enough to just keep them underexposed and hide the noise in the shadows.

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:27 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.632 #14 · p.632 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments Edward, Charles, Michael, Ron!

Michael, still having fun with the ZM21? Another excellent shot. Nice set with the 50Lux. The composition with the two persons walking up the stairs is very nice. Sorry to hear about the backfocus.
Ron, thanks for sharing with us on the art installation and your shooting process.

rscheffler wrote:
As for changing lenses... not sure exactly what you mean? I.e., because it's cold?

I was about to ask the same question about switching lenses so often, not only in the cold. Also aren't you worried about having dust on the sensor since you seem to change lenses so often? Lenses uncapped both ends?

edwardkaraa wrote:
I finally gave up on auto vignetting and turned it off for all lenses.

How do you turn it off? Or do you mean lens detection on the camera menu?

----
A few more from the same fair back in 2011. I don't think I posted these in the past. These were from a second visit a few days later when the sun was out. All M9 28Cron

On another note, I received my 28Cron back from DAG last week. Took Don just over a week to collimate it back to spec and code my 90 Tele-E.

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:50 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.632 #15 · p.632 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
How do you turn it off? Or do you mean lens detection on the camera menu?

Exactly, but since my lenses are not coded, I used to select manually the equivalent lens profile according to a list that Zeiss kindly provided with.

However, I stopped doing that very early on, and leave the lens correction off. I kind of like the vignetting, and in the rare cases I get color shift, I just crop it out, or just leave it as is if it doesn't disturb too much.

Edited on Feb 02, 2013 at 04:25 AM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:13 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.632 #16 · p.632 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles, thank you so much for the nice comments!

Zhangyue, nice set! I especially like the church shot, as well as the first 3 street shots. The fat couple on the stairs is my favorite.

Ron, I like the one with the 21 the most.

Joe, love the light and shade play in your recent posts. No. 1, 3 and 4 are superb imo.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:19 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.632 #17 · p.632 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward!

And thanks for explaining. I barely go into the M9 menus and probably don't know 50% of the functions The problem for me is that if I turn off lens detection, I will miss the lens exif info and sometimes it gets confusing sorting pics.

Meanwhile, not to detract from the M9 but I just received my EVF for the RX1. The output is really sharp and detailed, coupled with the peaking and magnified view, it makes manual focusing on the RX1 such a joy. In some instances, I can shift focus as fast or even faster than the M mount lenses on the Leica, especially if I were to move focus from infinity to up close.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:38 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.632 #18 · p.632 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

thank you for your kind comments, guys!

Ron, yes, I mean change lens in cold, even not in cold, I feel awkward changing lens How you guys clean your sensor? That is why I like the idea of have either a 50 or 35mm fixed on M for most of view with another small body with a zoom to secure the shots as needed. Thanks for post the environment shots of that art piece, there is no way I can fugue it out. it looks smaller than I thought. I agree your earlier set are more impressive.

Joe, another great street set. #1 is my favorite with multi-theme.

Here are more from St Augustine. you can see why I left my M9 with 21 pretty much whole day.
Lightner Museum
Used to be a hotle, and I was told that this was world largest indoor swimming poor. (now with table and chair)

inside the museum

Here is out side, cross the street, the building on left is a hotel.

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:00 AM
cuonghuutran
• •
p.632 #19 · p.632 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Zhangyue, nice shots. What 21mm lens is this?

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:14 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.632 #20 · p.632 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Thanks Edward!

And thanks for explaining. I barely go into the M9 menus and probably don't know 50% of the functions The problem for me is that if I turn off lens detection, I will miss the lens exif info and sometimes it gets confusing sorting pics.

Meanwhile, not to detract from the M9 but I just received my EVF for the RX1. The output is really sharp and detailed, coupled with the peaking and magnified view, it makes manual focusing on the RX1 such a joy. In some instances, I can shift focus as fast or even faster than
...Show more

Well, to be honest, I never liked the EVF of my GXR, and mostly used the LCD. But Sony must be light years ahead in EVF technology according to what I have seen when I tested the A99 at the local showroom. The GXR had a great function, in that you can keep magnified view on all the time (including peaking) and with half press of shutter release you go back to full view for composing and shooting. Anyhow, I still find a well calibrated RF to be much faster and practical than live view, except for tripod work.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password