Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              628      
       630              1081       1082       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.629 #1 · p.629 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Really nice pics Edward. I love pics such as these where there are a lot of dark tones throughout....

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:54 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.629 #2 · p.629 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks a lot Gary. Most appreciated. It's exactly the opposite of what I like about your snow pictures: light and airy.

Jan 26, 2013 at 05:39 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.629 #3 · p.629 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Thank you very much for your comments Joakim, RM, Joe.

Joakim, beautiful set that really conveys the cold. Well executed.
RM, I assure you it's not my abilities, but the combination of the M9 CCD and the rendering of the Zeiss lenses.
Joe, thanks for the tips. I should try them asap. Of course I purposefully selected an image with a challenging unusual light source, just to show how the same converter interpolated the pixels differently according to the profile. As for the Planar, definitely a great performer. Unfortunately innever owned any Leica lens to compare it to, but I'm pretty happy
...Show more

Good point. I wonder what Leica will lose with their move to CMOS.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM
joakim
• • •
p.629 #4 · p.629 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Joe and Edward.

A question regarding calibration: the previous set was taken with my newest lens the 28 Summicron and I thought many of the shots was out of focus so I did a test this evening and it does back-focus quit a bit. If I send it in I need to send in the camera with it as well right? Do they only calibrate the lens or do they change the camera as well? I ask because while I was at it I checked my other lenses as well and my 50 Lux was spot on and I want it to remain that way

I used the LensAlign kit for my tests, any other way to test focus in case I want to double check my results?

Here's how the 28 Cron placed the plane of focus when I focused on the left sign:

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM
JustinZ850
• •
p.629 #5 · p.629 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I should of taken a step back for this one.

Smiles by JustinZ850, on Flickr

Jan 27, 2013 at 01:07 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.629 #6 · p.629 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Justin - great moment!
Joakim - I'm partial to the two B&Ws. Sorry to hear about your lens back focusing. Based on the test shot, it sure looks to be. This is kind of a tricky situation. Ideally, I think sending everything in is best, but it might be worth trying just the lens at first so it doesn't put you completely out of commission for a few weeks. My experience with this was when I needed the 50 Lux calibrated, I initially sent it only with the body, which resulted in issues with my other lenses... Sending everything in got the 50 Lux perfect and subsequent Leica lenses I purchased new - the 28 Cron and 21 SEM - have both been good too... but my 21 Lux and 90 Summarit both back focus, despite being sent in with the camera and 50 Lux. The 21 Lux I can live with because the depth of field is not excessively narrow, even wide open, and I can compensate in the rangefinder on the fly. The 90 is a bit more problematic, but I don't use it that much and when I do it's often near infinity stopped down landscapes, and the infinity hard stop is accurate...
Congrats on the 28 Cron! Is it new or used? If new, I wonder if there is an option to exchange it. From what the guys at the Munich Leica store told me, even if it's used, so long as it's a 6-bit coded lens, Leica will recalibrate it at no charge... at least that's what I remember and my German comprehension isn't perfect, so can't promise 100%. Also, for US area readers, I'm not sure if Leica USA honors this.

Regarding focus accuracy... I think a few of my lenses are starting to drift to back focus as well, and I suspect the camera. But the funny thing is, today while out in about -10˚C weather, all of my wide open shots at distance but not near infinity were pretty much bang on. A while ago in the summer, someone suggested temperature might be a factor when I was starting to notice focus issues with the 50 Lux. Maybe there's something to it?

Joe, looks really good considering how much you've pushed the file, and nice job canceling out that magenta shift (probably caused by the weak daylight mixing in).

Edward - love the fence and barbed wire!

We had a nice, sunny and cold day, so went out for a bit of a walk across the frozen nearby marsh and found this pile of tires that were pulled from the water during a recent cleanup, as the sun was setting...

50 Lux ASPH:

28 Cron:

All were wide open.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:52 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.629 #7 · p.629 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Justin, beautiful shot indeed.
Ron, very nice set. 1st is the best IMO.
Joakim, as far as I'm concerned, I have previously sent 2 out of 5 lenses back to Zeiss due to front focusing. Both came back spot on. The other 3 were spot on from the factory. My M9 is very accurate and up to specs. If I understand it correctly from other users reports, even if you send in both camera and lens to Solms, Leica will not calibrate them together. They will adjust each separately to specific predetermined measurements, and they should work well together. So better to send the lens only, unless you have reasons to suspect the camera is off.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:05 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.629 #8 · p.629 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward. That's also what I've heard about how Leica calibrates (and Canon for AF), but the guys at the Leica store insisted I send the camera with the lens when I first sent in the 50 Lux... It would be nice if Leica posted a service FAQ on their site to resolve some of these questions.

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:10 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.629 #9 · p.629 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, I somehow understand the store position. Even for experienced users, it is not always possible to determine for sure whether the camera or the lens is out of calibration. If you have several other lenses that work well, then most probably it's the lens. But it's not impossible to have both faulty camera and faulty lens working well together, and you send the good lens for adjustment

Jan 27, 2013 at 03:33 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.629 #10 · p.629 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice shots, everyone. I am traveling to FL for three days. Will post some pics once back.
As for service, when I send my body and 50lux, leica NJ suggest me send whole kit in, and they recalibrate my 90elmarite lens for free, a 10+ year old without code.
Just FYI.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

seekuh
• •
p.629 #11 · p.629 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I can confirm Ron's statement: "From what the guys at the Munich Leica store told me, even if it's used, so long as it's a 6-bit coded lens, Leica will recalibrate it at no charge..."

Jan 27, 2013 at 07:27 AM
joakim
• • •
p.629 #12 · p.629 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the info guys.

The lens is new and 6-bit coded so that shouldn't be an issue, I also found that my 35 Summilux did back focus and also my 24 Elmar but since I shot that mostly at infinity or hyper focal I am not sure I will bother with it. Since I bought my M9 and the mentioned lenses at the same dealer I'll talk to him but it sound like only sending in the lenses is the way to go.

I guess it was only a matter of time before I run out of luck with calibration but the up-side is that I finally tested most of my lenses carefully so I know how they handle now.

Ron, great set with the tires.

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:43 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.629 #13 · p.629 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the calibration info. Good stuff everyone. WOW. I'll say this again its always good to come here in the morning with a cup of coffee and to see all tis wonderful work. Love the warm light in those photographs Ron....

Thanks everyone for another good start to my day.

Jan 27, 2013 at 04:32 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.629 #14 · p.629 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ZM 50/2

Jan 27, 2013 at 05:32 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.629 #15 · p.629 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Ed....

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.629 #16 · p.629 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

A couple from a family outing yesterday to Lake Louise... First 50cron V4, second 21SEM.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.629 #17 · p.629 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I took the Mono to a lighting course I took yesterday:

90 AA @ f11, insanely sharp:

L1003628 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1003645-Edit by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1003620 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Noct, wide open, with just the modelling lights on:

L1003666 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Jan 28, 2013 at 01:40 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.629 #18 · p.629 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Old school Nikons

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:26 AM
wstam

p.629 #19 · p.629 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Few more taken in Melbourne last Nov:

M9|ZM35f2

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:05 PM
wstam

p.629 #20 · p.629 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
Yeah, it seems that both chimping and/or shooting a few shots in succession can lead to banding, so, in low light, I'm trying not to shoot more than two shots back to back until the camera is done working.

I've really been liking the freedom of shooting at only ISO 160, as its like pushing film, but I'm able to push every pic instead of every roll. Granted, if you're a high volume shooter, you may not want to deal with a bunch of black pics in Lightroom that all need adjusting. You're right about highlights, Joe. I barely have to
...Show more

Hi Douglas,

This ISO-less thing looks interesting. I may have missed it. Is there a discussion in more details on this approach in this thread? Will like to learn more. The obvious question for me is: so who do I set the exposure? Just under-exposed the shot? How much?

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2013 at 03:14 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password