625              2351       2352       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.624 #1 · p.624 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

bruniroquai wrote:
Color or Black and White?

I like the first in B&W , but the green eyes on the second really make the shot.

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Ajay C
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.624 #2 · p.624 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Bruno, B&W on the first, color on the 2nd.
Nice shots Edward, Ron

Edward, my condolences to you and your family.

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Ajay C
• • •
p.624 #3 · p.624 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

So, the UPS truck stopped by yesterday, dropped off the new M.

Some initial impressions-

Good ergonomics, better responsiveness, elegant menu etc. are all there as already been reported elsewhere.
Improved DR over the M9.
Colors are more neutral compared to the M9.
Higher DR + neutral colors make DNG image output very flat (good in my opinion).
AWB needs firmware updates. DNG's straight out of the camera have strong yellow/orange cast.
Multi-field metering is somewhat funky.

Need to play with high ISO's, LV yet. All images shot with 35 FLE @ base ISO-200, LR4.4. I can upload DNG's if any wants to play with them. Post-processed these images as I would with my M9 files.

Full set: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjExZ8bW

ISO200 + 3.5 stop push:

Mar 31, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Ajay C
• • •
p.624 #4 · p.624 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

A quick and dirty trip to SEP2. (Leica M / SX35 FLE)

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.624 #5 · p.624 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron - funny pics. Looks like me on a Saturday night - nacho's, beer, and a full plastic bib shirt.

Bruno - I personnaly like B&W for both.

Ajay - Thanks for the sample pics. Looks to be pretty good to my eye....

Mar 31, 2013 at 04:25 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.624 #6 · p.624 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Edward just read about your loss. So sorry and thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Mar 31, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.624 #7 · p.624 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

A few from a walk today. All with 50lux....

Edited on Dec 14, 2016 at 12:52 PM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:25 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.624 #8 · p.624 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Edward, excellent shot with the ZM25 and thanks!
Bruno, B&W for the first portrait and color for the second one for me.
Ron, cool shots, especially the first with the dad pointing, adding another layer to the beer drinking child!
Ajay, congrats on the M240. Nice set of pics. Black or chrome?
Gary, nice set. New lens?

Allen, thanks for the info on the 5D's exposure. Interesting to know. I shot Nikon DSLRs for awhile and was not aware of 5D's banding issues. All I hear from my friends are that their 5Ds prior to Mk3 could not focus

Mescalamba wrote:
If one has thing like RX1, you simple dont need to worry. Its Sony, you can do crazy stuff with exposure.....

.....M240 doesnt have Sony sensor, so dont treat it like if it had. Its not about making your camera fail, its about making it work, which obviously is harder.

I agree, Sony probably has the lead in sensor development right now. At the same time my RX1 with lens cost $2800. My M240 without lens cost $7000, isn't it reasonable for me to expect Leica to somewhat perform like a $2800 camera? As Ron mentioned, if you've shot with M9s, then you would know the frustrations we have had over the years with random banding and it occurs not only to underexposed images but perfectly exposed images at lower ISOs. With the new sensor, some of us were hoping that this would go away.

------
Ron, I'll test the camera out more when I have a chance, too busy with work and other tasks at the moment. Meanwhile took some pics this afternoon with the 21mm and 90mm lenses. These wide and tele focal lengths are part of the reason I was looking forward to the M240 - live view and EVF to help with framing. I used a Oly VF2 and really enjoyed the experience. Makes me feel like I am shooting a NEX but full frame I liked that I could see the entire frame and use focus peaking - entire image, 5x or 10x mag. It would have been better if we could reposition the zoom view but its not entirely a deal breaker after playing around a bit. Unfortunately, the Maestro processor seems overtaxed in LV mode, as I almost have to press the shutter 0.5s before the shot ... but I can see this would work for slow deliberate shooting or still subjects.

Ignore the exif on the 2nd shot, it was f/2. LR4 picks quite a few wrong guesstimates for exposure at the moment.

edit: edited for grammar and sp..

Edited on Mar 31, 2013 at 09:07 PM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2013 at 08:53 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.624 #9 · p.624 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

One more with the 90Cron AA. I am really enjoying shooting this focal length on the M240 now that it is much easier to focus with an EVF.

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:05 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.624 #10 · p.624 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

It doesnt seem to band on low ISO, only high and pushed? Thats improvement I would say.

I sorta dont expected M-240 to be perfect. Expected it to be more usable than M9, which it is, isnt it?

Sure its expensive, but I think when someone can buy it, then he doesnt really need to think much about price or if its really "top". Cause I think we all know top sensors are inside dSLRs today as they were yesterday.. and years back etc.

I think price is about right, for niché product which in same time is only one on market. It doesnt need to be perfect, being one and only is pretty much enough, if thats what someone wants.

It will be slightly harder for Leica when there will be something like NEX-7 in FF variant. Maybe a lot harder..

But so far manufacturers seem pretty reluctant to do such thing and M-240 is pretty safe.

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.624 #11 · p.624 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joe lets just say the 5Di & II take a bit of practice. I use the center point and have no problems. But the 5DIII is amazing.

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:23 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.624 #12 · p.624 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Bruno, I like the overall feel of the B&W images better, though not so much what is happening with the woman's black coat compared to the color version. Of the color images, I prefer the one of the woman though the saturation is perhaps a touch high for my tastes. The one of the man feels like the contrast is too low, the mid tones too heavy and the saturation is lacking, but that's just me.

Ajay: congrats (and Joe too)! Colors look really nice from your set. I would be interested in access to DNGs if you can set it up.

Thanks in advance!

Gary, thanks, next time you're in Hamilton we'll have to head out for a few rounds. I like the second and third. The first one feels a bit unsharp. Is this the non-ASPH?

Joe, looks good! I guess the problem with EVF focusing and the 90AA is losing some spontaneity? Isn't the half second delay partly due to the shutter closing then opening again for the exposure?

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:58 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.624 #13 · p.624 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Allen, I don't doubt that the 5D3 is an amazing camera.

Ron, umm.. I don't really know the reason for the delay I need to read up more. Haven't even touched the manual.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.624 #14 · p.624 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Allen, I don't doubt that the 5D3 is an amazing camera.

Ron, umm.. I don't really know the reason for the delay I need to read up more. Haven't even touched the manual.

I had a 5DIII from CPS for a while but decided against buying one. Bought an MM and a 35 Lux FLE instead. I am going to completely move over to Leica M in the next few years. I really never had problems focusing the 5D or the 5DII and I shoot with an 85L and a 200 2L DoF is an eyelash when wide open but the 5DIII does a much better job with the outer points because on the 5D and 5DII they might as well not even be there.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:22 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.624 #15 · p.624 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Last one from today with the 90Cron AA. Really enjoy the focus accuracy using the EVF.

Edited on Apr 01, 2013 at 01:56 PM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:25 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.624 #16 · p.624 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Nice Joe....

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.624 #17 · p.624 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Allen!

airfrogusmc wrote:
Bought an MM and a 35 Lux FLE instead.

Can't blame you, this is an awesome combo

I think its because of my poor eyesight that I never enjoyed shooting anything above 50mm on the Leica rangefinders.. until now. I'm sure you'll enjoy using the M240 for your paid work. If you love the shutter sound of the film Ms, the M240 is pretty close, not as quiet but has the same DNA. BTW, send us some pics of your exhibition after it opens?

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.624 #18 · p.624 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I really don't like the direction the big two are moving in and my dream would be an M-E with the CMOS. No video, all manual, no frills.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.624 #19 · p.624 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Gary, thanks, next time you're in Hamilton we'll have to head out for a few rounds. I like the second and third. The first one feels a bit unsharp. Is this the non-ASPH?

Sounds great! Yep - the first is quite a bit out of focus but I liked the overall feel nonetheless. This is the pre-asph (e46) which I absolutely love so far.

Joe - really nice pic!

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Ajay C
• • •
p.624 #20 · p.624 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Ajay: congrats (and Joe too)! Colors look really nice from your set. I would be interested in access to DNGs if you can set it up.

Ron,

I uploaded a few DNG's to Dropbox.. Would like to see what you do.. (I'll take down the files after you've downloaded 'em). Sorry about the poor content, had an hour to play with the new cam.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70004758/L1000081.DNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70004758/L1000046.DNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70004758/L1000068.DNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70004758/L1000069.DNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70004758/L1000081.DNG

Edited on Apr 01, 2013 at 12:03 AM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1       2       3              623      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              623      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.