Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              612      
       614              940       941       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

airfrogusmc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.613 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Nice work Ron. I love them all but the stands outs for me are
#10 the couple kissing with the lady waving in the b/g
#11 & #12

but all are very nice.

Again HAPPY NEW YEAR ONE AND ALL....

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 12:03 AM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:19 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.613 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, That is an incredible BW set. I really enjoy them.
Joe, Nice family set, Always enjoy nice art family pics. I especially like #1 and last one.

I need add some color to this thread Some from today. After a whole day at San Francisco Zoo, My kids are tired and get sleep in the car. I get lucky, have half hour walk by myself on the ocean beach. What a beautiful sunset. Hope you guys enjoy them.

21 biogon

Happy new year to you all!

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:14 AM
joakim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.613 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments guys!

Ron, great documentary set that told a story very well.
Joe, I think the blown highlights works except for #3. Oh, I must add that he looks like a little devil in the last photo
Michael, I like the second one and how you used the concrete walls to pick up the light.

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:27 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.613 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Michael, I really like the second one!

Joe: These look good, though I'm personally not a fan of blowing out whites in-camera, but that's just me.
The SEM works OK indoors, similar to the ZM21 as it's only about half a stop slower. The lights in the newsroom are fairly bright - ISO 640 1/45 @ f/3.4. About the only thing I think I did differently with the B&W set was with many I pulled the shadow slider into negative territory to darken the deep shadows even more.

So we ventured out to downtown Toronto to check out the New Year show... actually, couldn't see much of the show and the sound of the performances echoed off all the buildings around City Hall... so it was mostly just to say 'we were there' and to see a few fireworks, which honestly, weren't so impressive. It was suggested we go to Niagara Falls to see Nelly Furtado perform - it probably would have been the better choice. As many NFL teams are saying after Sunday's regular season final games... there's always next year!

A few from Toronto with the 21 Lux.... I decided to shoot at ISO 160 for some of these and braced the camera against a lamp pole. It worked out OK for 1/8 or 1/6 @ f/1.4:

And 70cm minimum focusing distance with the 21 Lux is juuust about how far I can stretch out and still hold the camera in one hand for a self portrait.

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:47 AM
edwin_sn
• • •
p.613 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Happy new year everyone!!!

Ron, Charles, Gary, Joe, Joakim, Zhangyue, airfrog, Edward, wstm...i admire all your posted photos, i have been a lurker for the past weeks and have not posted my own lately. May the coming year fill this thread with beautiful and inspiring photos from all the talented photgrapher/contributors here...keep shooting and posting guys.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:50 PM
joakim
• • •
p.613 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, cool self portrait.

Two with the 50 Lux from this afternoon, the sun was there but with a big diffusor cloud in front of it so there was hardly any shadows.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:13 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.613 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

<>

Edited on Jan 01, 2013 at 07:30 PM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:47 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.613 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Michael - nice pics. I really like how you maintain the shadows and dark tones in your pics.

Ron - nice snaps and it looks like a lot of fun. Good to finally see a picture of you! Wy wife an I managed to stay up until midnight which was an accomplishment seeing how we were tired from skiing all day.

Happy New Year everyone! I truly enjoy the people and pics on this thread.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:11 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.613 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

A few from a recent winter hike.... All with 21SEM (of course).

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:25 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.613 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks guys.

Joakim - the light does look great and the second one in particular has a very nice mood. But... what happened to all the snow you guys had?

vovkinson - All the images were hand-held, but that one wasn't braced against a pole, so I bumped up the ISO to 1250 to get a reasonable shutter speed. Perhaps I could have tried Dan's (thrice) recent technique and left it at ISO 160, underexpose by three stops, then recovered in post. Anyway, we were there more really to look than do a serious photo project, therefore the tripod didn't come along. The spot where we were standing had a street light nearby, but it was about a stop darker than the city hall building in the background. For the 'portraits' the brush in Lightroom was used to boost the foreground exposure between 1-1.5 stops, along with some contrast, shadow and clarity tweaks to reduce the harshness of the light.

Gary - very nice, and an interesting location. The 21SEM sure is an impressive lens.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ricardovaste
• • • •
p.613 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

airfrogusmc wrote:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/IMG_7598-1.jpg

rscheffler wrote:
http://ronscheffler.com/samples/fmm9/20111231/20111231_0049BW.jpg

These are great... even if the first isn't a Leica photo ;-).

My Leica funds sadly took a big dent over x-mas. I came down with flu-like symptoms for nearly two weeks and missed a couple of jobs, which were pretty important financially. So the beginning of 2013 will start with a huge bag of rice and an empty Leica jar by the looks of it . On a not so unrelated note (as they seem to be discussed together on FM for some reason) Santa did bring me a nice watch .

I look forward to eyeing your 2013 Leica photos for many, many months w/o one of my own ;-)

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:37 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.613 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks yeah it was just a Happy New Year photo from Key West 3 years ago before I owned Leica.

Great stuff everyone. Joakim, Glenn, Michael, Ron, Joe you guys ROCKED this page.

Edwin come on in the waters fine.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:08 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.613 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:
My Leica funds sadly took a big dent over x-mas. I came down with flu-like symptoms for nearly two weeks and missed a couple of jobs, which were pretty important financially. So the beginning of 2013 will start with a huge bag of rice and an empty Leica jar by the looks of it . On a not so unrelated note (as they seem to be discussed together on FM for some reason) Santa did bring me a nice watch .

I look forward to eyeing your 2013 Leica photos for many, many months w/o one of my own ;-)

Sorry to hear you were sick. The Mrs was sick the entire holiday from a few days before Christmas to just now starting to get better. I might be loosing a big client (using a different agency) in 2013. I hope not becuse the work was always exciting and interesting and I really need them. I hope that you have a wonderful 2013 even though its getting off to a bumpy start.

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 07:46 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:13 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.613 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Happy New Year to everyone!!!
Thanks Joe Love those shots with the blown highlights!!
Thanks Edwin, Happy New Year to you too!!!
Michael, the last shot is great! Excellent lighting, and the wall just makes the shot.
Ron, great set of shots! Very cool self portrait
Joakim, nice set!
Gary, beautiful shots! I have no more excess funds for the 21 SEM, I keep telling myself
Ricardo, I hope your health recovers very soon! Very Best wishes for 2013

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:29 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.613 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for comments, all.
Ron, Nice night set, this is the first time I see you in the picture. 21 lux might be the only lens can do this for low light and DOF and Wide angle
Gary, Nice winter set, my favorite is last one.
Joakim, 2nd one has nice feel!

Here are two from 90Elmarit from New year weekend!

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 09:03 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:54 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.613 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

zhangyue,
How does it feel focusing 90mm lens? Did you use any magnifiers?

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.613 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

I don't use magnifier, and I don't feel comfortable with 90mm on RF as well

This case, they are at close distance, and I know at this distance, usually when I focus from close to infinity give me higher keeper rate for my 90Elmarit by test.

For long distance, it is a hit and miss, especially at f2.8. I am sure I can compensate as well with some investigation. But I never did it since I don't use 90 a lot. it is definitely worth to test it at infinity if use 90mm a lot.

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:32 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.613 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:32 AM
BA-photos
• •
p.613 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Happy new year eveyone!
I'm going through old archives in this thread. Amazing pictures.
A couple more from a few weeks ago:

BA-photos 2012

BA-photos 2012

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:54 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.613 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Airfog, nice b&w city set.
BA, you have very dramatic cloud there.

One more from SF beach before sunset

35cron v1