Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              604      
       606              1061       1062       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.605 #1 · p.605 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:16 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.605 #2 · p.605 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew - those are sweet images. Superb color and composition...

Dec 14, 2012 at 05:31 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.605 #3 · p.605 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Are we expecting much of a decrease in price on the M9 after early 2013 when the new Leica starts shipping?

Also, is there much difference in use & modest output if shooting B&W between the m8 & m9? Pondering usual thoughts...

Dec 14, 2012 at 07:41 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.605 #4 · p.605 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:
Are we expecting much of a decrease in price on the M9 after early 2013 when the new Leica starts shipping?

Also, is there much difference in use & modest output if shooting B&W between the m8 & m9? Pondering usual thoughts...

I've read that some users believe that M8 is better than the M9 in B&W, but I've never compared the two, and it sounds a little questionable to me.

As far as M9 value, it's impossible to predict, but I think the M9 has bottomed a bit, and the M-E will be artificially holding up its value for a while, since it is the same camera minus a couple of things. I don't see used M9s going for much less than $4K-ish anytime soon, but who knows??

Dec 14, 2012 at 07:51 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.605 #5 · p.605 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ricardo, my guess is probably some slight drop as some M9 owners might want to trade up to the new M. But its all a wild guess at this point? I'm now on the fence if I want to upgrade to a new M after receiving my RX1. The M9 is still an excellent camera and I'm comfortable shooting up to ISO1600 for color.

The M8 has a weaker IR filter and I kind of like the B&W files on the M8 compared to my M9 initially. But after shooting with the M9 for sometime, its just an adjustment to the pp and I'm used to it. Depends if you need full frame, print larger and need 1 to 1.5 stops of better high ISO on the M9? Full frame seems to be a big deal for many. Else you can always go the Leica Monochrom route

Dec 14, 2012 at 08:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.605 #6 · p.605 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, thanks for comment! maybe too much? 70 0.7 50 25 in my LR setting. Nice shot of your son. Should you use color for your baby picture , beware, you wife may complain. It is funny, I was prepare my family calender, my wife ax lots of my selection with interesting lighting, composition, and BW stuff. She only pick one with happy faces of my kids.

ricardovaste, They were talk about M8 is better at BW becauase of removing IR filter glass in front of sensor. I seems remember from Put's review, M8's sensor have about the same performance of DR at low to med ISO. and High ISO never a strong point even for M9. so if you don't care FF, I see no reason has to be M9.

Yesterday, I had a quick half hour walk around during work. Here are some:
All 50lux, might all WO.

I have to give credit for 50lux with this scene. I bet my Zeiss planar will do very poor here with grass all over/around focus plain.

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:33 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.605 #7 · p.605 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Douglas, beautiful composition with the diagonals and play on the reflections. I like the muted color pallate as well.
Michael, that 35CronV1 seems too sharp, and it draws beautifully!
Andrew, excellent shots with the WATE and Nocti. The WATE draws beautifully at 16mm, especially on 1, 2, &3. Really nice.

Thanks, Joe!

M9 + 50 Summicron V wide open:

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.605 #8 · p.605 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Douglas!

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:55 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.605 #9 · p.605 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice pics, sometimes I wish the forum had a "like" option like facebook or some other sites as I am too lazy to type out names.

ricardovaste wrote:

While I think bodies may drop slight in price. Used lens prices may go up from demand. I would guess that used equipment prices are lowest around Christmas as people a more likely to spending their money on gifts and year end holidays.

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:38 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.605 #10 · p.605 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

One with M8 + ZM35C....

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
p.605 #11 · p.605 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Jabberwockt wrote:
Very nice pics, sometimes I wish the forum had a "like" option like facebook or some other sites as I am too lazy to type out names.

Other forums do have a "like" or "thanks" option. It would be a nice feature on this site, too.

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:52 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.605 #12 · p.605 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ricardovaste wrote:

I've seen a few on GetDPI's B&S for around $3800 lately. I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop another 10% or so when the M is finally shipping.

Also, compared to last year, used M lens pricing seems to be more scattered. Seems many of the speculators have moved on and there are occasionally some very attractive prices on the B&Ss. It will be interesting to see what happens with lens pricing and availability once the M ships... will it be a repeat of the M9 situation? Somehow, I suspect not. This time around Leica seems to be much better prepared. First of all, they pre announced the camera, rather than making it available at a trickle like the M9. At least pre-order numbers should give them a pretty solid idea for early demand. And I'd hope they learned from the M9 release. Maybe it will still be the case, but I suspect it won't be as bad. And they seem to have caught up with lens demand. Was this through extra production capacity (I seem to recall some saying it is), or has demand simply softened a bit?

Great images guys. Andrew - wow, these Nocti samples, combined with what Charles has been showing, are quite interesting... If it wasn't so darned expensive, I'd love to try it as a vintage option to my modern glass...

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:55 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.605 #13 · p.605 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

A lot of wow factor shots recently: Andrew, Douglas, Zhangyue, Gary, Joe!

Here are some shots with the Planar 50 wide open:

(ps: 2nd shot was mistakenly shot at iso 160 and underexposed by 3.5 stops, pushed in ACR. It has even lower noise than the other shots at iso 1250)

Edited on Dec 20, 2012 at 04:12 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:32 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.605 #14 · p.605 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

More of the same:

Edited on Dec 20, 2012 at 04:11 PM · View previous versions

Dec 15, 2012 at 03:33 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.605 #15 · p.605 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

And Biogon 35:

Dec 15, 2012 at 04:17 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.605 #16 · p.605 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Fantastic color, Edward. Those pics are really like looking through a window.

Dec 15, 2012 at 05:43 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.605 #17 · p.605 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much Douglas! Thanks also for opening my eyes to the isolessness of the M9. It turns out to be very real.

Dec 15, 2012 at 06:20 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.605 #18 · p.605 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you to all for chiming in :-). A good point re: lens prices. Seeing as a body is undecided, and something that will take a good while to save up for (November was not a good month for me!), what do we think re: lens. It'll have to be 35mm. So the Zeiss 35/2 or the 35/1.4 Pre-Asph? The latter is much more, and with a more traditional rendering from what I can see, but I wonder if worth the investment for the speed and perhaps the older Leica look?

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:45 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.605 #19 · p.605 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great set Edward - I really like the second one that's recovered 3.5 stops in post! And quite the pop from the last one too!

Richard - that's really the million-dollar question! IMO, it's going to come down to what look you want from the lens. The Zeiss is going to be modern - sharp, high contrast and great for landscape use where it's very sharp across the frame (as Luka frequently illustrated in his posts 1+ years ago here in this thread). That said, based on the splash images on your website, if this is something you plan to use for your wedding work, I'd be tempted to go 'old school' with the 35 Lux pre-ASPH. It will probably be more complementary to your subjects and also offer a look not typically available from modern DSLR kits, which pretty much every other wedding photographer uses...

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:55 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.605 #20 · p.605 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I would second the suggestion for the 35lux pre-asph. I think this would be a great lens for your needs. Don't forget about the wonderful 35cron as well....

Dec 15, 2012 at 09:06 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password