1       2       3              601      
       603              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.602 #1 · p.602 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Doug - not boring at all. In fact, very informative. There is a slight difference, but definitely for the better. And something to keep in mind. For me though, it would be extremely difficult to give up EXIF focal length info. I change lenses quite frequently and would likely forget which shots were with which lens. Would have been nice if Leica allowed the camera to read the coding for EXIF but disable corrections. But this seems to be the best solution for the ISO-less method.

Glad it was useful. I'm noticing that, even though the M9 does adjust vignetting correction as the ISO goes up, it isn't a dramatic difference, and it still causes weird edge issues, even when raising camera ISO, so I think it's useful whether you shoot "ISO-less" or not.

I do have a handy trick to identify each lens without EXIF. I assign each of my lenses with a number, and, immediately after changing a lens, I take a quick throwaway shot of the lens' number using my fingers. So, when viewing my pics in LR, I know when each lens change happens. In other words, when I shot more lenses, my 28/2.8 was a "one," 35/2 was a "two," 50/2 was "three," etc.

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:01 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.602 #2 · p.602 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Was down by our waterfront this evening just as the sun was setting. One of the ships that is moored at the pier over the winter:

The second one is my favorite!

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:41 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.602 #3 · p.602 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

airfrogusmc wrote:
Thanks. In #2 I couldn't believe what i was seeing with the face in the window and when the lady on the left lifted her hand and pointed is was pointing at the lady in the window looking at me. I saw it shot and prayed that the lady in the window had her eyes open when the shutter clicked.

And there is a reflection of someone over that woman in the window, giving her a somewhat cartoonish appearance of having a very big head on a small body.

I also like the ghostly reflection in the glass of the door near the engagement couple photo-shoot. But these are all really good! While wandering around that area of Chicago I always felt quite obvious. NYC generally feels busier and more crowded to me, where one blends in with the bustle on the street, and therefore less obvious.

Joakim - Sounds like the 90AA and M240 might be the solution. Nice rendering of the hut-on-wheels.
Joe, great continuation of the set. Looks like it was a very productive event. Agreed about your B&W technique!
Very nice, Ryan!
Doug - good points!

Thanks guys. Some more with the ship and ropes:

21 Lux:

28 Cron:

50 Lux ASPH:

Feb 17, 2013 at 08:23 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.602 #4 · p.602 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Joe, The one in pre-pg is wonderful image. Nice composition. P-town images also fantastic. shooting angle adding dynamic and dominance.
Joakim, nice snow scenes
Ryan, Nice lighting on 35cron image and spot on focus on 0.95.
Dan, very nice color with the 21 SEM. a lens I am lust for.
Airfrog, #1,2 are stand out.
Ron, Both ship and rope set are nice. My favorite out of both set are #1 from 50lux and 21lux.

some from Savannah

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.602 #5 · p.602 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Another nice set Ron. You are the master of lines and texture. I like the first 21lux shot a lot....

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.602 #6 · p.602 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice richness in the colors of the boat shots.

Walking around testing the ZM50:

Edited on Feb 18, 2013 at 06:07 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:29 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.602 #7 · p.602 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Allen, Gary, Ryan, Ron, Michael

Ryan, perfect example of the 0.95 put to good use! Love it and what an adorable child!
Ron, wow, I probably would have walked off the scene if I had as many keepers as your first set. The 1st shot with the 21Lux and the 4 & 5 are my favorites, again superb! Next time I'm up in Toronto/Missisauga for work, would be great if we could meet up for some Tim Hortons and pick your camera knowledge.
Michael, nice set, I like the texture of the cobblestones on #2 and how it leads to the person in the background.
Jabberwockt, very nice with the ZM50. I hope he got this hand out of the bucket in time!

airfrogusmc wrote:
... and yes I pulled a Friedlander

.. and from the reflection of your footsteps, it looked like you didn't stop to shoot? Now, that is what I call a fast street shooter I missed the details on your 2nd shot the first time round, good timing and catch!

----
We had some snow today in Boston. All M9 35Lux FLE.

Exif on #3 should be f/1.4. All shots were f/1.4.

Feb 18, 2013 at 04:39 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.602 #8 · p.602 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks guys.

Joe - these are adorable shots of your son! Also brings back memories of playing in the snow with toys... Thanks for the comment - it was moments before sunset and the light was just great, and all those ropes were leading to multiple compositional options. I actually had to cull quite a few I liked, but were very similar just to keep it from getting more repetitive than it already is here. Don't want to bore you guys. Funny thing is, just after the sun set, a couple other photographers swept through the area, photographing details of the ship in a great hurry (it was windy and very cold)... probably not aware of the great light they just missed (though were probably photographing elsewhere moments earlier).
Jabberwockt - very clean looking. And what's happening in the scene?
Michael - the second has some interesting details.

21 Lux:

50 Lux ASPH:

90 Summarit:

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:25 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.602 #9 · p.602 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Joe, Very nice set, I really like #1 and 2. And yes, I really miss snow,(grow up north part of China, we have three month snow season) and wish my kids can play in the snow like your son.
Ron, Wow, you keep rising the bar higher with your Wharf set. What a great color and composition. #1, 5,5 are outstanding. Ron, since you keep change lens in field. Have you think about get another M body?
35cron V1

Feb 18, 2013 at 06:58 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.602 #10 · p.602 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Michael - nice image!

Yes, I change lenses a lot, but the camera was made to do that! If/when I get the M240, I intend to keep the M9, unless I really need the money. The problem with another body is I will need a larger satchel, which means more to carry around. I will probably keep working with one camera most of the time unless there is a specific reason, such as an event, where more than one will be useful. And from experience I know that when I work with two digital cameras of different vintages/eras, I tend to prefer the newest one. Part of me says I should sell the M9 and replace it with the MM, or a second M240... But my bank account doesn't agree.

I think one of the reasons you ask is because of the concern about dust blowing into the shutter area while the lens is off the camera. I recently did have more dust than usual, but forced myself to figure out how I best prefer to clean the sensor. So far I have been able to avoid wet cleaning. I use a sensor pen to remove stubborn stuck on spots, and it can also work on some oily or dried water spots (like what I got on the sensor the day of the big snow storm - but that's probably because I did some shots of snow on branches pointing the lens straight up, which allowed some snowflakes inside the camera to fall directly on the sensor) if I'm persistent and work on them for a while. The downside of the sensor pen is it sometimes just moves the dust around or leaves behind a lot of smaller, very fine dust. To clean that up I bought the Dust-Aid sensor stamp. I'll be the first to admit it feels a bit uncomfortable pushing the stamper down on the sensor glass, knowing the problem of M9 cracked sensors, but thus far it has been pretty effective. I find a couple passes with it after the sensor brush, and most dust is gone. I'm back to being able to shoot stopped down without having to spend a lot of time in post cleaning up spots in the sky.

Back to Toronto:

Andrew's 75 Lux, all stopped down somewhat for a bit more background definition:

Feb 18, 2013 at 08:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

seekuh
• •
p.602 #11 · p.602 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, the third 50 lux picture of the vessel is absolutely stunning.

Feb 18, 2013 at 09:42 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.602 #12 · p.602 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Beatiful work everyone! Ron, Joe, Winston, Zhangyue, Joakim, Daniel, Allen, Wstam, Ryan.

Sorry for not commenting on the photographs individually, it will take an entire page

M9 + ZM 50 Planar

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.602 #13 · p.602 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
.. and from the reflection of your footsteps, it looked like you didn't stop to shoot? Now, that is what I call a fast street shooter I missed the details on your 2nd shot the first time round, good timing and catch!

----

First, I just love the color in these. Wonderful photographs Joe. I had a friends M9 for a few weeks in Oct and just loved the color files I got from it. I really like my 35 lux FLE to.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. When working fast on the street I usually always pre focus using the DoF scales on the lens so basically watch find the moment frame it and shoot. Much easier to do with a Leica than and DSLR for sure. Plus I rarely get noticed because of the camera size until I want to be noticed.

Edited on Feb 18, 2013 at 01:12 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:02 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.602 #14 · p.602 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron Killer stuff here.

Ed love the 3 in the last series. Great conversions.

zhangyue really like the surfer on the beach and I also really like the second from Savannah

Ryan Love the shot of the boy and great idea for the Mr Grouper attention getter.

Jabberwockt a lot of red. Like Joe said I hope he got ouuta the way.

Again a great way to start the day. Seeing all the wonderful images in this thread.

Feb 18, 2013 at 01:12 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.602 #15 · p.602 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Edward - nice B&W set!

Ron - great stuff as usual. As with your 90 Elmarit shot - I am always amazed how much a telephoto lens compresses a scene. I also like the 21lux shots (again).

Feb 18, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.602 #16 · p.602 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you everyone for the kind comments, some more from the shoot with Ron.

More to come.

Andrew

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.602 #17 · p.602 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Edward, love the B&W conversion and the moment in the first one. Great set overall!
Andrew, wow, you're really getting strong colours! The pre-ASPH look is growing on me. The 105 is such a great lens!

These below, in comparison, might feel a bit sombre..

Andrew's 35 Cron ASPH:

21 SEM, cropped a bit:

50 Lux ASPH:

75 Lux (this one did flare a bit, but it's hidden in the shadow on the right side):

Feb 19, 2013 at 02:33 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.602 #18 · p.602 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Guys, sorry for the silly question. How do you focus on the side of the frame with a rangefinder? Is it really doable in the f/1.4-2 range..

I've been holding an M9 purchase over this issue for quite a long time. Possibly waiting for the M240 for EVF but the samples doesnt inspire much.

thanks

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:04 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.602 #19 · p.602 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Ron, Michael, Edward, Allen!

Ron, more excellent shots from the docks and urban landscape. #1 and 2 with the ropes seems so perfectly composed and all those textures, wow. The 90 Summarit is no slouch either, love the thick smoke formation in the background. Also like the rendering on those 75Lux shots and how you brought up the textures and colors of the grass on the 21SEM shot.

Michael, excellent B&W shot by the beach.

Edward, excellent B&W pics! 1,2 & 4 are my favorites. Just curious, and please ignore my lack of knowledge, but what is the elephant doing out there? Rides?

Andrew, those 50Lux and 105 are excellent. #3 and 5 are my favorites from this set, nice strong colors, texture and rendering.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:30 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.602 #20 · p.602 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

frezeiss wrote:
Guys, sorry for the silly question. How do you focus on the side of the frame with a rangefinder? Is it really doable in the f/1.4-2 range..

I try to keep the same focal plane distance as my subject when I recompose, not sure if it makes sense? That being said, its still a hit and miss for me, especially with longer lenses, else I just stop down the aperture or take a few additional shots. Others probably have a better answer for you.

Feb 19, 2013 at 03:36 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password