Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              601      
       603              941       942       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

airfrogusmc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.602 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Last one in 601#18 ROCKS!!!!!

Dec 10, 2012 at 01:07 PM
ryankarr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.602 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Rob, those are all amazing! Nice to see a different perspective on those shots. I didin't even know you could go under it!

Some MM and 0.95, all wide open.

L1001924 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1002111 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1002040 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1002024 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:04 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.602 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Super set Ron! I hope that you didn't forget to take in some blue's while in Chicago!

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:10 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.602 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Superb Ron - love those CV12 shots! Not very often one see's UWA shots with a RF.

Edited on Dec 11, 2012 at 03:27 AM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:27 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.602 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments Edward, Ron.

Edward, love the ZM18 shot with the sun burst. I think if I shoot more wide shots, this seems to be the lens to have. Very nice.
Andrew, very nice set from Beijing. Nice rendering on the Nocti.
dalegaspi, cute shots!
ryankarr, excellent shots. I think you have a super low light combo with the MM, Lux and Nocti!
Jabberwockt, nice set.
Ron does B&W ! Beautiful B&W tones from your Chicago set and I agree, no need for MM envy. Those CV12 shots are stunning. You're the perspective master of wide angles! Ron, I've been away and can't keep track of your lens collection anymore You got a 21SEM? Do you prefer it to the ZM21/2.8?

Not sure about the rest of you but I'm somewhat tempted to try the Sony RX1. Camera + an excellent Zeiss lens is about the same price as a new 35Cron ASPH lens, the Sony seems to be a good value in this sense?

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:27 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.602 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Edward, love the ZM18 shot with the sun burst. I think if I shoot more wide shots, this seems to be the lens to have. Very nice.

Thanks a lot Joe. I confess to not feeling comfortable using wides and I rarely use them. Even the Biogon 25 intimidates me. But everytime I use the Distagon 18, it produces spectacular results.

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:42 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.602 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Biogon 35

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:00 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.602 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Very nice moments Edward - and so much colour too - Thailand must be sensory overload at times!

Great set Ryan! And thanks! Yes, you can go under Cloud Gate. It's where all the visual fun happens with the distorted reflections. But it's also quite dark under there (on a gloomy November day) - my exposures were in the 1/30 f/5.6 ISO 640 range, and probably still a bit under. I've visited a few times so now and have had mixed results - it's really tough to find a unique perspective because it has been photographed a bazillion times already.

Andrew - was in town for a Bears game, and got sick (flu or cold), so kind of just wanted to get outta there for the 8 hour drive back. But blues would have been nice. Next time I'll have to check with you before I go...

Thanks Gary, Joe, airfrog!

Joe: it would seem the advantage of the MM is ultimate sharpness from that particular sensor, and my impression is it has even deeper shadow latitude. That said, I'm quite impressed by how much I can manipulate the M9 files in B&W.

Yup, added the 21SEM a couple months ago during the latest visit to Munich. The Leica store there just happened to have one in stock, and I couldn't resist. I have yet to do a formal comparison against the ZM21/2.8, but my impression is the SEM has a flatter plane of focus and therefore better edge/corner performance wide open when photographing planar objects. My guess is any sharpness difference is gone by f/8. It's a lens you can most certainly use wide open and get very, very sharp results. I've done some limited, casual comparison shots against the 21 Lux and when both are at f/3.4, I can pretty easily ID the SEM just by the look due to its sharper definition of fine details. In some respects it's a fairly 'Zeissy' lens coming from Leica - quite high contrast and very sharp. After getting it, for the first time I can remember, I started applying minus contrast in LR...

Is the SEM worth spending 2x more than the ZM...? I think it is if you're a frequent 21mm user, want better edge to edge w/o performance, a smaller lens and 6 bit coding. The only aspect where I find the ZM is better, is CA. It seems to have none, whereas the SEM has a very, very slight amount that can actually cause very fine, sharp detail to look somewhat nervous (though cleans up OK in with software CA correction). The point about 6 bit coding actually has become more significant for me than I would have thought when I first started with the M9 and only ZM lenses. I discovered that at least my ZM21, when mounted on the M9 and used in direct sunlight, with the sun shining on the lens/camera mount interface, that some light would apparently seep into the gap and interfere with the 6 bit reader, causing the camera to revert to an uncoded state. This was a major hassle when processing images and half the edit for that lens would be coded and the other half not... The solution is pretty simple - jam a finger up against the lens mount while shooting. But it just seems the Leica 6 bit coding works 99% of the time (pretty sure it's flaked out a few times while using the 50 Lux ASPH), whereas hand coded ZM mounts have been somewhat inconsistent.

As for what is currently in my M collection:

Leica: 21 SEM, 21 Lux, 28 Cron, 50/1.5, 50 Lux ASPH, 90 Summarit
ZM: 21/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/2
CV: 12, 15, 35/1.2 v.II, 40/1.4, 75/1.8
Misc: Nikkor 5cm f/1.4

I will likely sell the ZM21 and 35, CV75 and perhaps also the 35/1.2. I really like both Leica 21s and sometimes bring both because they each have certain strengths. The Lux can't be matched for its w/o look and when you need f/1.4... whereas the SEM is great even from wide open across the frame, which is a weakness of the Lux between around f/2.8-5.6.

In terms of future acquisitions... about the only new lens I would like to see from Leica is a 14/4 at a similar price point to the SEM. Who knows, it could happen! Otherwise, I think my priorities at the moment will be looking for vintage glass for a different look from the modern lenses in my collection.

A few more from Cloud Gate....

28 Cron:

21SEM:

CV12:

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:12 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.602 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Nice sets Ron, on that Kapoor sculpture! It is a great sculpture and I love what you did with it in B&W.
(And also your ever valuable insights on lenses) Curious about your reason for selling the VC 35/1.2?

Michiel

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:24 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.602 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ryan, beautiful moments captured!
Edward, nice set!
Ron, the first 4 in last set are amazing!!! Superb series I love how your lens collection has grown

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • •
p.602 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Charles & Michiel!

sculptormic wrote:
Nice sets Ron, on that Kapoor sculpture! It is a great sculpture and I love what you did with it in B&W.
(And also your ever valuable insights on lenses) Curious about your reason for selling the VC 35/1.2?

Michiel

Cloud Gate is a lot of fun, especially watching other people interact with it. I wish it was nearer to me...

I haven't yet sold the CV35... but probably will, simply because I hardly use it. I've grown to like 28mm and find f/2 is usually good enough (with this focal length) in most low light situations I encounter. The CV is also quite large (for an M lens) and is kind of the 'odd lens out' in my collection, partly for this reason. It does have value as a normal equivalent on my GXR, but I haven't been using it much either. While 35mm is somewhat close to 50mm for me, I might like to pick up an early version 35 Cron, based on what I've seen from it in Michael's images lately, to add to my 'vintage' collection.

A few from my aunt's farm:

28 Cron:

21SEM:

50 Lux ASPH:

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.602 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

ryankarr wrote:
Rob, those are all amazing! Nice to see a different perspective on those shots. I didin't even know you could go under it!

Some MM and 0.95, all wide open.

That is some seriously sweeeet bokeh

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.602 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

# 4 of the barn Ron!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.602 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

More good stuff Ed....

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.602 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Got out today for a little while. I get so depressed when I can't out with the MM.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:32 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.602 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Did you get your filters yet? BH just shipped my Red and Yellow ones for the Noct

MM and 21 Lux:

L1002134 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:08 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.602 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, Charles, airfrog, thanks a lot!

Yep, these are the Hill Tribes very colorful garments in the north of Thailand.

Ron, my favourite barn again Very nice, love it.

Airfrog, the old man's portrait is fantastic.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:26 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.602 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

ryankarr wrote:
Did you get your filters yet? BH just shipped my Red and Yellow ones for the Noct

MM and 21 Lux:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8485/8262407973_036c4515b7_c.jpg
L1002134 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Nice and no I haven't got them yet. I have an account at Calumet so they ship as soon as they come in.

Glad to hear you are getting yours That 50 Noct is absolutely amazing glass. What size is the filters like 58?

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:44 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.602 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Airfrog, the old man's portrait is fantastic.

Thanks Ed

Allen

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:45 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.602 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Hey Ron if you ever get back to Chicago drop me a line, I'll take ya to the places the tourists don't go...

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:46 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password