FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              600      
       602              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.601 #1 · p.601 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Many great photos since I posted last time, which was something like 8-9 pages back, so it is good to see that quality and quantity can go hand in hand!

Nice perspective Joe but it makes me longing for my 28 Summicron that I only took out for a spin once before I sent it of for calibration.

Another thing I'm longing for is the sun, it must be almost a week now since I last saw it. Good light or not, today I went out shooting anyway.

Tree-quartet, first with 90 Elmarit then it's the 50 Summilux

Feb 16, 2013 at 02:14 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.601 #2 · p.601 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, I love the first 2 truck photos.
Joe, I almost thought you had 2 separate photos side-by-side. Very cool effect between the different heights and different wood tones. The symmetry nerd in me loves the fact that the planks below are completely parallel to the edge of the balcony.
joakim, #3 and #4 really work for me. I really like on #4 everything converging on the bottom right corner,

One with the MM and 35 Cron:

L1004519 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Feb 16, 2013 at 05:26 PM
thrice
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.601 #3 · p.601 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Some shots of some interesting ancient volcanic formations at the national park up the road from me.
Still floors me how sharp and free from aberrations the 21/3.4 Super-Elmar-M is.

Feb 17, 2013 at 01:44 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.601 #4 · p.601 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Joe - that's a great find. I agree with Ryan. At first I thought it was two separate images beside each other. Love the lines!
Joakim - I'm partial to the 50 Lux trio. I find the compositions more immersive due to the selective focus. Of the three, I most like the diagonals of the last one.
Ryan - nice moment!
Dan - Very cool compositions and subject matter. I completely agree with you about the 21 SEM. If I had a 5000 pixel wide monitor, I'd be looking at my 21 SEM landscapes at full rez just to take in the clarity of the images. Just the right amount of sharpness and so much detail. I'll say it again - it's a real 'bargain' lens from Leica! I'd like to see a 14/4 with the same performance (and similar price) to one-up the ZE/ZF 15, Nikon 14-24, etc.. Mind you, the CV12 and 15 aren't bad either.

Was down by our waterfront this evening just as the sun was setting. One of the ships that is moored at the pier over the winter:

50 Lux ASPH:

28 Cron:

90 Summarit:

50 Lux ASPH:

28 Cron:

21 Lux:

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:07 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.601 #5 · p.601 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Ron.

Love that first one!

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:29 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.601 #6 · p.601 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Great set Ron. I like 1 and 4 in particular. I also think that 4 gives a quintessential Leica look.

Sorry Thrice - I missed your Organ Pipes photos before. They certainly show the qualities of that lens.
BTW, the columnar formations are the same as the famous Giant's Causeway in N Ireland (my birthplace) and Fingal's Cave on the Island of Staffa in the Hebrides (hexagonal columns caused by symmetric cooling of the basalt lava).

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:50 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.601 #7 · p.601 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joe, very nice portrait with the 50 Cron V5!
Michael, just love those shots of your kids in the field of yellow wild flowers
Ron, very nice abstract series. I do prefer the 50 Lux here Superb set of images of the truck and from the harbor!!! Masterful lighting and depth in the composition
Joe, fascinating composition of lines and shapes!!
Joakim, beautiful winter scenes
Ryan, excellent silhouette image.
Dan, very nice shots with the 21 SEM.

Feb 17, 2013 at 04:51 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.601 #8 · p.601 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments Ryan, Charles and Ron.

Dan, very nice set with the 21 SEM. I saw the same kind of rocks in Iceland but minus the vegetation, do you guys have any active volcanoes because I think I have never heard of it?

Ron, very nice set. #1 is a favorite and I also like the second half of the set with the ropes. I'm a little thorn when it comes to my 90 Elmarit, on one side I think it is hard as it is to focus it properly at 2.8 on my M9 on the other side I would like to have something faster for better subject isolation.

Ryan, very nice silhouette image.

Here is one more from yesterday, this time with 24 Elmar.

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:13 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.601 #9 · p.601 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Amazing work Ron Dan Joe Joakim Ed I can't keep up. Stay away for a day and its amazing how much work gets posted here.

A few from yesterday. I was actually able to get out for a couple hours to d some work for me.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.601 #10 · p.601 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Allen, very nice street photos. I like the interaction between people in #2 and #4.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

joe88
• • • •
p.601 #11 · p.601 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Joakim, Ryan, Ron, Charles, Allen

Joakim, agree with Ron, the selective focus with the 50Lux works very well in these compositions, especially like #2 & 3 the best. Hope your 28Cron comes home soon Just curious, on the 24Elmar shot, what is that shed on wheels for, a summer barn?
Ryan, an excellent silhouette shot with the 35Cron!
Daniel, very nice and sharp pics with the 21SEM.
Ron, superb series at the docks! Where or how do you find all these angles and diagonals? . #1 with the 50Lux is perfect - the detailed placement on the buildings on the left background and also the precise placement of the bollard on the bottom right, just enough separation from the edges, love it.
Allen, another excellent street set! I especially like the juxtaposition on the non smoking sign and smoker shot, and looks like your reflection in the background?

ryankarr wrote:
.... The symmetry nerd in me loves the fact that the planks below are completely parallel to the edge of the balcony.

Ryan, you have a very keen eye

----
M9 CV 35/2.5, probably the last few pics left from this set. Rest of pics posted earlier on this thread and can also be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/maximumjoe/sets/72157632778417979/

Echoing Ron's comment and others elsewhere, all of the major M9 problems wrecked havoc for me on during this shoot, I had a corrupted SansDisk Ultra card (brand new and on LUF recommended list and I also tested a few time prior), major issues with sensor dust trying to get rid of the dust spots on the sky (and I'm not even a landscape photographer), and worse of all, the buffer sucked big time, I shoot single shots but when a scene unfolds, I missed quite a few moments when the buffer was too slow to clear, worse of all, I could not predict how long it will take for it to clear. Rant, aside, I still love my rangefinders

BTW, careful when you scroll to the last pic (#4), might be NSFW.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.601 #12 · p.601 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joe thanks so much and yes I pulled a Friedlander

Love the processing on these, Joe. Fits the subject matter so well.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.601 #13 · p.601 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
Allen, very nice street photos. I like the interaction between people in #2 and #4.

Thanks. In #2 I couldn't believe what i was seeing with the face in the window and when the lady on the left lifted her hand and pointed is was pointing at the lady in the window looking at me. I saw it shot and prayed that the lady in the window had her eyes open when the shutter clicked.

Feb 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.601 #14 · p.601 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Dan - looks like a really interesting place to shoot. Nice natural lines... Great to see you posting pics again.

Ron - what a nice set! Looks like you had some good light in those. Nice textures too.

Joe - you captured the party atmosphere well in those!

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.601 #15 · p.601 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, the 28 Cron shot is my favourite, I like being able to associate the ropes with their individual shadows, but still a decent amount of separation between the 2.

joakim, what is that building? I'd say heated outhouse if it wasn't on wheels.

airfrogusmc, love the dark negative space on the first

Joe, subject matter is questionable, but everything else is spot on!

MM + Noct wide open. "Mr Grouper" toy on top of the lens to ensure his attention:

L1004606 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.601 #16 · p.601 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Joe.

I'm not sure what the hut is but since it seems to be a stove inside I reckon it's used for warming up between shifts either when working in the forest or more likely when out hunting.

Very good b&w work in that set.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.601 #17 · p.601 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Doug - not boring at all. In fact, very informative. There is a slight difference, but definitely for the better. And something to keep in mind. For me though, it would be extremely difficult to give up EXIF focal length info. I change lenses quite frequently and would likely forget which shots were with which lens. Would have been nice if Leica allowed the camera to read the coding for EXIF but disable corrections. But this seems to be the best solution for the ISO-less method.

Glad it was useful. I'm noticing that, even though the M9 does adjust vignetting correction as the ISO goes up, it isn't a dramatic difference, and it still causes weird edge issues, even when raising camera ISO, so I think it's useful whether you shoot "ISO-less" or not.

I do have a handy trick to identify each lens without EXIF. I assign each of my lenses with a number, and, immediately after changing a lens, I take a quick throwaway shot of the lens' number using my fingers. So, when viewing my pics in LR, I know when each lens change happens. In other words, when I shot more lenses, my 28/2.8 was a "one," 35/2 was a "two," 50/2 was "three," etc.

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.601 #18 · p.601 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Was down by our waterfront this evening just as the sun was setting. One of the ships that is moored at the pier over the winter:

The second one is my favorite!

Feb 17, 2013 at 02:41 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.601 #19 · p.601 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

airfrogusmc wrote:
Thanks. In #2 I couldn't believe what i was seeing with the face in the window and when the lady on the left lifted her hand and pointed is was pointing at the lady in the window looking at me. I saw it shot and prayed that the lady in the window had her eyes open when the shutter clicked.

And there is a reflection of someone over that woman in the window, giving her a somewhat cartoonish appearance of having a very big head on a small body.

I also like the ghostly reflection in the glass of the door near the engagement couple photo-shoot. But these are all really good! While wandering around that area of Chicago I always felt quite obvious. NYC generally feels busier and more crowded to me, where one blends in with the bustle on the street, and therefore less obvious.

Joakim - Sounds like the 90AA and M240 might be the solution. Nice rendering of the hut-on-wheels.
Joe, great continuation of the set. Looks like it was a very productive event. Agreed about your B&W technique!
Very nice, Ryan!
Doug - good points!

Thanks guys. Some more with the ship and ropes:

21 Lux:

28 Cron:

50 Lux ASPH:

Feb 17, 2013 at 03:23 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.601 #20 · p.601 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joe, The one in pre-pg is wonderful image. Nice composition. P-town images also fantastic. shooting angle adding dynamic and dominance.
Joakim, nice snow scenes
Ryan, Nice lighting on 35cron image and spot on focus on 0.95.
Dan, very nice color with the 21 SEM. a lens I am lust for.
Airfrog, #1,2 are stand out.
Ron, Both ship and rope set are nice. My favorite out of both set are #1 from 50lux and 21lux.

some from Savannah

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:34 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.