FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              599      
       601              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.600 #1 · p.600 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I have to stop down my 50cron rigid at least f5.6 to be able to do this kind of off center composition. (f5.6 or f8 X3 ND filter used here at full sun. )

Might be WO

Here are two 90Elmarit from Santa Cruz a while back. Again under full sun hush light, not very interesting. Maybe should convert them to BW.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:54 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.600 #2 · p.600 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks Ryan. Do you think there is any risk of strong light sources from behind the camera reflecting off the filter and appearing in images due to the cutouts? 82mm filters would be easier to source and some Canon L lenses now also use that size, so it could work for me.. but would also make the 21 Lux even bigger.

I think that would definitely be a problem if there's a light source actually hitting the back on the filter. The cutouts are fairly large and there's a decent gap between the lens and the filter. I would have much prefered if it was indexed like the lens hood with cutouts only the area that impacts the viewfinder.

Do "Series 8" filters fit inbeween the lens and the hood? I need a 0.6 to 0.9 ND solution for the Summilux and I'd prefer not to use the 82mm adapter for it.

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:08 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.600 #3 · p.600 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Great shots Michael. Yes that is CameraWest, I too actually liked the 50sonnar for portraits and its for size, but i have a soft spot for older lenses and a weakness of changing gear occasionally =)

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:18 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.600 #4 · p.600 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Michael and another excellent set of your kids, love all three pics, really beautiful! I prefer the vertical version of the 90 Elmarit shot.

I think the 50APO is probably more compelling for Monochrom users and also maybe the new M240. The M9 might not be able to resolve all of the fine nuances of the 50APO's rendering.

M9 50CronV5

Feb 15, 2013 at 07:37 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.600 #5 · p.600 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

ryankarr wrote:
Thanks Ron!

It's Leica part # 14-481

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/586198-REG/Leica_14_481_E82_Filter_Adapter_f.html

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks Ryan. Do you think there is any risk of strong light sources from behind the camera reflecting off the filter and appearing in images due to the cutouts? 82mm filters would be easier to source and some Canon L lenses now also use that size, so it could work for me.. but would also make the 21 Lux even bigger.

ryankarr wrote:
I think that would definitely be a problem if there's a light source actually hitting the back on the filter. The cutouts are fairly large and there's a decent gap between the lens and the filter. I would have much prefered if it was indexed like the lens hood with cutouts only the area that impacts the viewfinder.

Do "Series 8" filters fit inbeween the lens and the hood? I need a 0.6 to 0.9 ND solution for the Summilux and I'd prefer not to use the 82mm adapter for it.

Yes, a Series 8/VIII filter will fit in the hood, which acts as a retaining ring. Good luck finding someone with that size ND filter in stock. I ended up buying a cheap Tiffen 0.7 ND off the bay. It works, but also adds a bit of a green/cyan overall colour shift, so I'm not entirely happy with it. I tried B&H for a B+W ND (don't recall which version) and was informed by them that they could no longer order it from B+W. I was informed by www.2filter.com that they could get something from B+W, but would take 4-6 weeks. That was back in January 2012 and I didn't pursue it further. As I may have stated before, for Leica to select the old Series VIII format (and Series VII for the 24 Lux), they should at least sell their own UV/ND filters in those sizes to ensure some availability.

If you do find a 0.9 ND in stock, get one for me too.

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:22 PM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.600 #6 · p.600 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Yes, a Series 8/VIII filter will fit in the hood, which acts as a retaining ring. Good luck finding someone with that size ND filter in stock. I ended up buying a cheap Tiffen 0.7 ND off the bay. It works, but also adds a bit of a green/cyan overall colour shift, so I'm not entirely happy with it. I tried B&H for a B+W ND (don't recall which version) and was informed by them that they could no longer order it from B+W. I was informed by www.2filter.com that they could get something from B+W, but would take 4-6
...Show more

Ron,

What size ND filter do you need? Bob Singh- Singh-Ray filters will make up pretty much anything that you want. But, you may need to supply him with the filter ring to make the filter, in fact they could replace the glass in your Tiffen filter. I have used Singh-Ray filters for quite some time. The filter could probably be made of resin or glass. They make the most neutral filters that I know of for color, what they are either uncoated or single coated I believe. I am not sure of what the cost might be, but a call to Singh-Ray may be in order. I very much doubt that you would have nearly as long a wait. Though when the made up a Cokin P sized 5 stop ND filter they couldn't get the glass from the supplier for quite some time.

http://www.singh-ray.com/index.html

By the way, they finally did get the glass and I have the 5 stop ND filter; they had made a 4 stop Cokin P size ND in resin before I left for my trip.

I hope that this proves to be of value.

Rich

Edited on Feb 15, 2013 at 08:38 PM · View previous versions

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:32 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.600 #7 · p.600 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Ron, Thanks for those 50mm comparison. To be honest, I am not fond of those classical lens, too much all kind of aberration make me drizzy you must surprise to hear that since I use my set of 50 years lens very often. The 50cron and 35cron I have are indeed old, but they have pretty high performance even compare to modern lens. The slightly lower contrast can be seen but it is also relative easy to tight it up.

I'm not surprised because you wrote the exact same thing when I originally posted these images last spring. I really like the look of the older 50 Cron, and am even tempted to get one. But at the same time, for me, it's not enough of a jump away from modern performance, which is what the 50/1.5 Summarit and Nikkor offer. I'd like to find something even 'worse' in terms of w/o performance and bokeh quality.

And, no, you didnít save me $7000 , I canít afford it even though I like it the best, but not for $7000. I have to pick lens or kids . If it is 1.4, I will sell off my DSLR setup, make the sacrifice to get it At f2, $7000 is way overpriced to me even for its peerless performance. But it is Leica. (maybe Zeiss 55mm) 50mm is never a hard designed focal length. There are tons of reasonable choices around without break bank.

Tons of choices, but none with that kind of wide open performance. That is the catch. While 50mm lenses can be optically simple and offer good results, none of those are technically great across the frame wide open.

But there are still two points for this lens for some people:

1 is its cross frame sharpness no FC to degrade performance anywhere as well as APO for color fidelity. This could be huge for some people but not so much for me.

2. Free compose, put subject anywhere in the frame at f2 have the same high performance. Make it truly as Leica claimed: only control aperture for DOF, but not performance. This is huge. This is also the reason I value 50lux ASPH higher now, even though we all know it has FC WO, but it still has the
...Show more

I agree the second point is appealing, and is actually coupled to the first point about FC. If cost was a non-issue, I could see myself with the M240/50AA as my primary 50mm solution, then with a bunch of legacy 50s, such as the Summarit, Nikkor and pre-ASPH Lux.

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:37 PM
seekuh
• •
p.600 #8 · p.600 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I do order my filters here. Very recommendable:

http://www.versandhaus-foto-mueller.de

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:38 PM
seekuh
• •
p.600 #9 · p.600 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Andrew, That is paint like rendering from PA50lux.
Ryan, I like the way you use bright spots in your frame. They give life to the foto.
Joe, excellent portrait. I know You want show us there is little point for 50cron APO

Andy, thanks for sharing. Is that Camerawest? The first set, PA50lux is slightly back focused, and 2nd one show that the lens is capable to produce high quality Portrait. Though I feel Zeiss Sonnar might have even more contrast in focus plane. I have to try that lens someday myself.

Hilmar, thanks for the updating. And full
...Show more

The M240 ist too much money for me right now. I'm very happy with the M9 apart from its high ISO performance. I'm going to shoot a wedding in September which is going to be quite a challenge with the M9.

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:40 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.600 #10 · p.600 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Yes, a Series 8/VIII filter will fit in the hood, which acts as a retaining ring. Good luck finding someone with that size ND filter in stock. I ended up buying a cheap Tiffen 0.7 ND off the bay. It works, but also adds a bit of a green/cyan overall colour shift, so I'm not entirely happy with it. I tried B&H for a B+W ND (don't recall which version) and was informed by them that they could no longer order it from B+W. I was informed by www.2filter.com that they could get something from B+W, but would take 4-6
...Show more

30 seconds before reading this I hit "Buy" at B&H. They have B+W MRC 0.6 ND Series 8 filters in stock!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=120755&is=REG

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.600 #11 · p.600 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

An interview with Herr Dr. Kaufmann (unfortunate position he is holding the camera in):

Interview with Herr Dr. Kaufmann

Edited on Feb 15, 2013 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:54 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.600 #12 · p.600 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

naturephoto1 wrote:
Ron,

What size ND filter do you need? Bob Singh- Singh-Ray filters will make up pretty much anything that you want. But, you may need to supply him with the filter ring to make the filter, in fact they could replace the glass in your Tiffen filter. I have used Singh-Ray filters for quite some time. The filter could probably be made of resin or glass. They make the most neutral filters that I know of for color, what they are either uncoated or single coated I believe. I am not sure of what the cost might be, but a call
...Show more

Hi Rich, that's very good to know!

I just had a look at the Series VIII I have and the ring appears to be about 63mm in diameter, to the outside edges. Does anyone have a 62mm screw-in filter they could measure for the outside diameter? I'm wondering if this might be a possible option in place of an actual Series VIII? There is about 1mm of leeway in the 21 Lux's hood for a slightly larger diameter filter, but it would be a very tight fit. Only issue might be that the screw-in filter's ring might be too high, but some filing would take care of that. Otherwise, maybe a 60mm filter would do the trick. Might also come in handy should I ever pick up a Nocti or 75 Lux.

Joe - great examples from the 50 Cron and the portrait feels very snappy too. No need for the 50AA.
Michael - love your kids shots.

Some more with the 50 Lux ASPH:

Feb 15, 2013 at 08:57 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.600 #13 · p.600 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
...Show more
ryankarr wrote:
30 seconds before reading this I hit "Buy" at B&H. They have B+W MRC 0.6 ND Series 8 filters in stock!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=120755&is=REG

Haha, wow. Thanks for that. I should have double checked before posting. Hopefully they really do have it in stock. I think when I ordered, it was listed as available in 4-6 weeks, then later got an email from them saying they couldn't get it. It was for the #103 which is 0.9 and non-MRC. Looks like they now only list the 0.3 and 0.6 MRC, and still showing the 0.6 as in-stock. Hmm... for the Lux 0.6 will be OK to achieve f/1.4 @ 1/4000. I was leaning more to 0.9 in case I wanted in the off chance to do something with longer shutter speeds or wider aperture at maximum flash sync. But for the latter 0.9 wouldn't be enough for wider than f/4 and could instead use the 21SEM for the same effect...

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:08 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.600 #14 · p.600 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

carstenw wrote:
An interview with Herr Dr. Kaufmann (unfortunate position he is holding the camera in):

Interview with Herr Dr. Kaufmann

Feb 15, 2013 at 09:20 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.600 #15 · p.600 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:

Yes, the good doctor is carrying his Leica obsession a bit too far (or is that a bit too low?)

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.600 #16 · p.600 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

To be honest, if I were interviewed by Joy Villa, I might hold my camera in the same position.

My apologies for a lame joke to the women of the Alt forum on FM.

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:18 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.600 #17 · p.600 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

its actually quite funny Carsten, thanks for sharing

Feb 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM
wstan

p.600 #18 · p.600 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I think there's too much Joy on the left half of the frame

Feb 16, 2013 at 12:26 AM