Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              507      
       509              1079       1080       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew Gough
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.508 #1 · p.508 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

More Hamilton These are mostly with the 85mm Sonnar.

Andrew

May 01, 2012 at 03:36 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.508 #2 · p.508 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, you are really making that Summarit shine, it seems to render the woods in an almost magical way!

Luka, I like number two

Charles, can you post more 50mm noctilux images, I have been offered one for a good price! Its great to see one used on the M9.

May 01, 2012 at 04:19 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.508 #3 · p.508 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, nice set! I really like the lighting in #1.
Andrew, beautiful set of shots with ZM 85. It is one great lens, and just a shame, it has been discontinued!!! If you can get hold a great copy of the 50 Nocti, at a really good price, I would try it out at least

Couple more people style shots with the 50 Noct, @ f 1.0

May 01, 2012 at 05:51 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.508 #4 · p.508 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary, Andrew, Charles!

Andrew - The 85 Sonnar really is a wonderful lens with great colour and rendition. I wonder how its purple fringing and rather strong LoCA will respond to the new corrections in LR4.1 RC2? I haven't yet updated to LR4, therefore not able to try it yet on my Sonnar cemetery images. I agree with Charles - too bad it was discontinued! Though was it? According to Edward in this thread, it will again be available at the end of this year.

Summarit 5cm: I think it works nicely in the woods to calm and smooth the fine details of leaves and branches, blending details in the periphery rather than defining with ruthlessly high resolution, as is the case with modern lenses. The high rez files are not all that sharp, so what you see here downsized for the web and sharpened is a bit deceptive, perhaps leading to a sharper impression than is actually the case. It is nice to have this option though, to counter the look of modern lenses. Any suggestions for an even less perfect lens to use on the M?

Charles, the second image in particular looks great with the slight glow.

Back to urban landscapes...

Shot through a vacant lobby, first and third images are 50 Lux and second and fourth are Nikkor 10.5cm details of roughly the same view. I liked how the buildings behind me reflected in the glass and combined with the building in the background.

A couple more from the same location:

50 Lux and Nikkor 10.5cm

May 01, 2012 at 06:47 AM
seekuh
• •
p.508 #5 · p.508 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

M9, Summilux 75:

M9, Summicron 50 rigid:

M9, Summicron 50 rigid:

M9, Summicron 50 rigid:

May 01, 2012 at 05:28 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.508 #6 · p.508 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, I like your urban landscapes. The reflection looks great. and also, Nikkor 105 looks great on those shots.

Charles, Thanks for the info for Noct50 and nice showcase of images with it. From what I see, it is quite sharp at WO, at least at the size displayed. And new 24lux picture looks way better with removing disturb CA

For some reason, I don't feel very excited about 50lux. I can't tell what is wrong. Maybe it is price, maybe it is the expectation, maybe is something with strong color and contrast even WO, or even maybe my PP hasn't used to it. I can pretty much predict the end result before look at screen. Don't get me wrong, I like it. Just don't feel very excited use it. With M system, I seems like shooting more f2/f2.8 region and use f5.6 and smaller a lot, and seems also appreciate images with more DOF.

But I have to agree, if I choose only 'A' single 50mm lens, this will be the one.

Andrew, Another nice set with 85mm. Again, I feel the lens is the famous MP100 at M platform. a compliment for sure.

Seekuh, The last one is beautiful. I like it a lot. Would you mind to share how you feel about 50 Rigid?

A VC28 at beach shot.

May 01, 2012 at 11:26 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.508 #7 · p.508 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, really nice set of street scapes! Very nice balance of shadow and light Love the first and last shot.
Hilmar, love the stunned look of the first shot Nice capture with the 75 Lux!! Very nice series. I really like the last portrait shot
Michael, thanks Great shot of your son! Your views on the 50 Lux, may indicate that the 50 FL, is not your preferred perspective. From your shots so far, you have erred to more WA look, and maybe this is more your niche. The lens maybe outstanding, but if you do not use it, this may be your answer. Or maybe the 50 Cron PreAsph, may suit you better.

Shots from Canyon Valley with the 50 Nocti IV The shots were all hand held, with the rain, and cloud cover, the shutter speeds ranged from 1/15s to 1/60s.

May 02, 2012 at 12:53 AM
seekuh
• •
p.508 #8 · p.508 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue and Charles, thank you very much. Much appreciated!

zhangyue, I love the 50/2 rigid. I bought it a few weeks ago and love it so far. zhangyue, I share your thoughts on the Summilux 50. It's a perfect 50mm lens and how can you not like it?

However, its contrast is in deed very high and somehow I'm not too excited to shoot with it either. So I'm going to sell my copy of this lens. Bearing in mind that I own the Noctilux .95, too, this seems to be an easy decision but I can stress that I'm not selling the Summilux 50 because I have the similar Noctilux .95 at hand but because I have the 50/2 rigid now. This lens is very different. It has a completely different look if you compare it with the Summilux 50. Its contrast is rather low and the b/w shots coming straight out of the camera are just gorgeous. You don't get that look with the Summilux 50.

Besides, the Summicron 50 rigid is even lighter. It's a nice addition to my other more contrasty lenses.

May 02, 2012 at 04:54 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.508 #9 · p.508 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hmmm... do I feel a growing interest here in 1950s era rangefinder glass?

Hilmar, great expression for the jump! And love the feel of the last three, especially the last one.
Charles, I think you got the colours spot on in these and like the diagonal line of the first one.

Michael, fun shot of your son - looks like a mini-Michelin Man, but in black. I'm not sure I quite agree with Charles's assessment, having seen many 50mm images from you, both here and in other threads. But many were with 'character' lenses such as the 50 Sonnar or Nikon 50 f/1.2. I agree with you about the Lux - it's predictable, but that might also be why many like it. I like it because I know it's sharp wide open and just a couple stops down is already excellent pretty much corner to corner. For some of the things I like to photograph, other 50mm lenses I've used need to be stopped down a couple stops more for similar performance. I consider the Lux medium-high contrast (at wider apertures). And at closer distances it loses some of that. The ZM50 Planar is snappier, also I think the CV50 f/1.5. But, yeah, stopped down and it's high contrast (along with all my modern Leica lenses). Is there a bad 50mm once stopped down?

As you've seen in my recent images, I'm experimenting with the Summarit because there are definitely times when I don't want the modern, clinical look of the Lux, but this dreamy look quickly disappears and at f/5.6, IMO, it looks pretty much like any other 50. I think next on my list is the Nikkor 5cm f/1.4. But I'm definitely keeping the Lux, at least for the foreseeable future. I don't know if that helps any... With my Canon system I was happy to stick with the 50 f/1.2L, but now with the M9 I'm turning into a 50mm collector.

Nikkor 10.5cm:

28 Cron:

And one of a now retired colleague from the newspaper... Just happened to meet him on the street and liked the light on him as we chatted. 28 Cron at f/2.8.

May 02, 2012 at 08:29 AM
seekuh
• •
p.508 #10 · p.508 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, very well said. Yes, I agree, I happen to become a collector of 50mm lenses as well although I don't like to be a collector and to have several lenses of a certain focal length. I'm not a collector guy (genuinely...), too many choices for me.

The Summilux 50 is a wonderful piece of glass but currently I'm not too excited about it. Don't want to shoot what everybody else shoots - and my other lenses are mainly the most recent ones so I'm too much of a mainstream guy anyway.

Ron, I like how your lens draws. The second picture is awesome. Light is always so great in your photos.

May 02, 2012 at 09:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • •
p.508 #11 · p.508 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, very nice set, and great PP'ing as usual! I really like the muted rendering in #2 I wish I could borrow the 10.5cm for a day
Well expressed about the yearning for the classical look. It is interesting, the M9 having a great sensor, and yet we now look to add character to the images now. This is the wonderful attribute of the M system lenses, that spans decades. As Hilmar, eluded to, the old style lenses do lend to better conversions in B&W, and brilliant for the harsh lighting in Australia for most of the time.

Hilmar, I am the same, I am not a collector either, and only keep the lenses I use, and I must say when the 50 Nocti f 1.0 IV came up, I jumped at the chance for the wonderful older Mandler style glow. I now only have two 50's, the Lux and Noct. I had entertained the thought about the older 50 Lux PreAsph for its glow like rendering.

May 02, 2012 at 10:13 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.508 #12 · p.508 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary, Michael, Ron, Charles

Ron - My latest beach pictures have been in Seaside, FL. If you have ever seen the film 'The Truman Show'...it was filmed there. I see you tried out a Nikkor 10.5....very nice lens. Huge, but a great look to it

Charles - great shots from your new toy . Love the dream like look

Michael - Don't fret the 50 choice....your Rigid shots are excellent!

More from the beach

75 Lux

35 Nokton

May 02, 2012 at 11:55 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.508 #13 · p.508 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

water....with the 35 Nokton

May 02, 2012 at 11:58 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.508 #14 · p.508 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, thank you Wow...great set of shots!!! Favourites here are #1, 3,4,5 and 8, 9. Again love the colour palette.

Shot with the 75 Lux @ f/1.4 and ND

May 02, 2012 at 12:29 PM
seekuh
• •
p.508 #15 · p.508 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Excellent sets, rsolti. Like the picture with the bikes very much. The color contrast is nice.

Charles, the Summilux 75 is a wonderful lens as you show here.

May 02, 2012 at 01:47 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.508 #16 · p.508 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Charles, Hilmar

one of the M9 at work

May 02, 2012 at 04:15 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.508 #17 · p.508 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I tell ya Ryan - you are gonna miss it!

May 02, 2012 at 04:46 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.508 #18 · p.508 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments. . Ron, Charles. Ďmini-Michelin Maní I like the comment. I feel it is funny, but didnít realize it until your comment. Thanks.

Seekuh, thanks for feedback about Rigid. I like it for its handling and decent performance cross aperture range but Bokeh is not that great (busy) if nitpicking.

Ron: the Nikkor 10.5 is really a nice lens. (Not only in focus area but also OF rendering.) Does it have the same formula as famous 105mm 2.5 F? I guess only you can tell how different they are compare to 90mm Leica you have at 100% zoom? Again, the portrait with 28cron is very nice. I really want that lens but the price I can echo your feeling about 5cm as I myself really love my rigid. its stop down performance blow my Sonnar easily.

Charles, good composition and PP from your noct50 set and as always I like the 75lux shot.

Ryan, I really like those beach shots seen from you so far. Favorite: 2&3 first set, 3&5 2nd set.

A 50 lux shot at f2.8 in front of a grocery store.

90 some Elmarit shot from last weekend one day trip to Big Basin red wood state park.

May 02, 2012 at 07:20 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.508 #19 · p.508 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

As for 50lux, I think I should give an explanation about my comment before.

I also want to understand myself why I donít feel enthusiasm about it. The only answer is a perfect person may not be my best friend I like 50mm focal length a lot, 50lux may still be my most used M lens. But most of pictures are family pictures, which I donít want to bore you guys unless there is something interesting in photography, I will show

We all know it is the best prime lens but something I donít like about it:

1. Pull out hood feel very flimsy and unsecure. And it is too shallow; I am afraid to touch the front element. In that sense, the leica hood for old lux or Summicron are way better IMO, the lens recess into deep that I never worry about it. That is one of the reasons I donít bring it with me more often when out. I like to leave the front cap off all the time, and having $4000 lens hang around with that kind of hood protection is ?? to put it simple, I hate it. I am thinking to buy an aftermarket screw in hood for it.

2. Size, this is very a minor one and only compare to Summicron Rigid and Sonnar I have.

3. Price/performance ratio, but this applies to all leica lens.

4. Focus tab, for given how well damp 50lux is, the tab almost useless for me other than on my way. It would be awesome for my ultra-smooth 50AIS Nikkor

So, you see, I canít tell what is wrong in terms of optical for the lens but feeling still is very mixed. I have many 50mm lens on hand which include Zeiss P50, MP50, Nikkor 501.2 AIS, Nikon 50mm 1.8G. In M platform, I have 50lux, 50cron rigid, DR, and 50 Sonnar.

As a tool, I value overall performance include optical, rendering, handling and maybe: price. That makes P50 is the top one on my list and 1.8G is best value. In that sense, you can see 50lux will score quite low because of handling and price Hopeful with aftermarket hood, it will fix the handling problem for me. No, I wonít sell it at foresee future for its given performance at 1.4 and cross frame sharpness slow down.

This is truly just my personal opinion. Please forgive me if anyone feels bad about it. And I am also involving myself with more experience and better skill, so sometime down to the road; I may have a different opinion about it.

A two Ďstreetí fotos to share. I took them a while ago.
50lux both wide open.

May 02, 2012 at 07:25 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.508 #20 · p.508 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys.

Yes Hilmar, I also wouldn't consider myself an intentional lens collector. It just happened. At least some of the older non-Leica glass isn't too pricy, which makes the decision easier.

Charles, interesting point about contrast. The Summarit 5cm is certainly low contrast wide open and I have noticed I can use it wide open in full sunlight without an ND filter, so long as there aren't sunlit pure white areas in the scene, and easily normalize the image in LR.

Ryan, thanks for the info. Will keep it in mind for holiday options! Yes, got a chance to try the Nikkor, in part inspired by your images with it.

And great sets again. The colors are idyllic. The arch really caught my eye, as well as #2 of the second set.

Some more with the Nikkor 10.5cm:

May 02, 2012 at 08:01 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password