Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              506      
       508              1043       1044       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.507 #1 · p.507 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Luka, Vovkinson and Ron, thanks guys
Vovkinson, focusing is just like with normal lenses. The focusing is very accurate and well calibrated, marginally slower, but once the subject aligns which is easy to adjust with the long throw, I take the shot. There is more margin for error at MFD, wide open for portraits, trying to catch the near eye with any slight body movement.
Luka, excellent set!!! Favourite is #1 too, and love the graphic composition of #3. Yes, you picked it, finally have the 50 Noctilux f 1.0 IV. Of course, I could not justify the latest 0.95, but having a mint version, I really like the Mandler style rendering of this lens, and at the right price of course
Ron, great set of compositions! Favourite is #1! I really like #2 the colour palatte and lighting. You are right, at f 1.0 on the Noctilux, there is CA, with strong backlighting. This disappears quickly as you stop down. For most applications, at f1.0, there would be no strong back lighting. Normally I would use about f 2.0 - 4 during the day. For portraits, there is a very nice transition at f 1.0, so long as focus is nailed with the very narrow DOF, very similar to the 75 Lux. I only issue I do have is that the MFD is 1.0m, as compared to the 75 Lux which is 0.7m which is somewhat more limiting in getting the right FOV. A lot of the shots for portraits I have seen, are shot at f 4.0 during the day, and have a very different look to the 50 Lux at similar f stops.

Edited on Apr 29, 2012 at 06:35 AM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM
kkcsm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.507 #2 · p.507 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Lots of terrific pics, I'm embarrassed not to comment on them all...

Going through the last couple of pages the one that jumps out at me is
Luka's pic of the blue pipe against the wall. Simple. Wonderful.

I stopped by one of my favorite KC BBQ joints this week to pick up
some wood for smoking and took the first three pics here (CV28). Note
the man walking in the background on the second, he asked if I wanted
him to take my picture with my camera, I declined. The next night my
wife and I were in our favorite local restaurant and one of the
waiters (not our waiter that night) stopped me on the way out and
mentioned he was there that night and it was his dad that I captured
in that pic. Last pic is the 90 Cron.

Apr 29, 2012 at 05:14 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.507 #3 · p.507 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Kelly, nice shots!

Shots from Springbrook, Canyon Valley early this afternoon, with the 50 Noctilux f 1.0 IV

Apr 29, 2012 at 06:33 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.507 #4 · p.507 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Regarding purple fringing and LoCA, looks like a good fix in LR 4.1 RC2: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.507 #5 · p.507 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice sets Kelly and Charles! Love the gate in Kelly's and the fog in the trees from Charles.

Here are some nature photos from me, from the ravine a short walk away from home:

Summarit 5cm f/1.5:

28 Cron:

21 Lux:

wide open:

around f/8:

28 Cron:

Summarit 5cm and 50 Lux wide open comparo:

Apr 30, 2012 at 02:25 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.507 #6 · p.507 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron,
excellent set, you have me thinking about the 5cm! #7 is awesome, what a great shot! The 21lux is superb! I am super busy for the next 11days, then I will call and set up a meet if thats ok. love the bokeh in #9

All the best

Andrew

Apr 30, 2012 at 03:47 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.507 #7 · p.507 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Summarit 5cm and 50 Lux wide open comparo:

which is which?

that 21mm lux offers some pretty amazing possibilities, those wide open shots with it are wonderful.

Apr 30, 2012 at 03:56 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.507 #8 · p.507 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank Ron! I have downloaded LR 4.1 RC2 update, as with LR 4.0 there only a check box for now! LR 4.1 RC2, is interesting. So far it is easy to use on the basic level and it seems to works very well !!!

Very nice samples particularly with 21 Lux. I really like the look of the 5cm too

Apr 30, 2012 at 06:55 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.507 #9 · p.507 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys.

Andrew - sounds good.

sebboh wrote:
which is which?

that 21mm lux offers some pretty amazing possibilities, those wide open shots with it are wonderful.

I thought it would be pretty easy to tell the two apart. I like the Summarit because it's far from perfect wide open. It has busier bokeh, and the farther away the subject, the less sharp it will be wide open. For some things this is undesirable, but IMO, for a walk in the woods, it adds a quality to the images that the 'perfect' rendering of the 50 Lux does not. At minimum focusing distance, and depending on the background, the Summarit can be quite similar to the 50 Lux ASPH, though anything with a distant background will have a busier rendering. And I finally tried a few shots with it stopped down, and certainly by f/5.6 it's pretty difficult to tell it's a 1950s era lens. As I mentioned before, it flares very easily. The last backlit shots I had to shade with my hand, but it was also the same with the 50 Lux, which also flared badly with direct sun, though not as low contrast as the Summarit. And while it's low contrast wide open, still has very nice color rendering.

I'm also enjoying the 21 Lux wide open. I didn't think I would use it wide open for this type of scenic photography as I have, but it really adds another option. My preference with it is to shoot at f/1.4-2.0 or at f/8-11. It has a very nice quality wide open, but when stopped down a bit, the b-zone area is quirky and if the subject is placed in that area, may not look so great compared to the center. By f/8 it's fine, though the lens has strong wavy distortion compared to my ZM21 f/2.8 and a ton of CA (which cleans up pretty well). I think the biggest drawback of it is the 70cm minimum focusing distance. If it could focus closer, the subject isolation at f/1.4 would be even better. At 70cm you still get quite a lot in the image.

Some more from the Summarit wide open:

21 Lux wide open and at minimum focusing distance... I'd guess the diameter of the log behind the skunk cabbage was about 18", so you're never going to do much close up work with this lens, unless on a NEX with Hawk's adapter...

Apr 30, 2012 at 08:54 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.507 #10 · p.507 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, love the dreamlike quality of the Summarit! Even stopped down, the Summarit has a special qualities IMO. And the 21 Lux is one amazing lens, those shots really stand out!

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • •
p.507 #11 · p.507 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edited on Apr 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.507 #12 · p.507 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Ron, Charles & Kelly

Charles, very nice set from Spingbrook. The dreamy rendering of the Noctilux does works well - particluarly in the last shot.

Ron, cool shots with the Summarit. It does produce bokeh on the lively side, but not unpleasant. Very interesting comparison shots with the 50 Lux as well!

Funny (or sad perhaps) story - I was looking at the new green leaves on a tree with a degree of disaproval thinking "poor color separation, that doesn't look realistic at all". It took me a few seconds before I realized what I was doing - that I was criticizing reality for having a poor rendering style

Apr 30, 2012 at 01:06 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.507 #13 · p.507 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments, Charles, Ron and Luka.

Ron, thanks for the film info. I bought one roll of pro160H and one roll of Portal 160 to see how they are compare. Certainly, I will slow down a little bit instead of 20 mins shoot whole roll in my backyard, the M9 way.

As for M3, it is kind of extension of my addiction into M system, I start use manual exposure more and more with M9. It is a difficult path, but I am not planning use it as often as I do with the M9. And only use those for mostly family picture which I think it is a very proper tool for permanent record something in my memory. I also plan try some BW film to get some experience of those ‘famous’ films just for my curiosity. With more experience and better scan, I will decide how serious I will be into film.

Charles, I agree fully about fascination in photography, thanks for the encouragement.

Kelly, nice set.
Ron, Thanks for the LR4 update link, I will try it later.
Those are very interesting comparisons with some nice images. The 5cm’s bokeh is very interesting, and I can see the tunnel effect. I guess that what they call ‘Leica Glow’. It would be an interesting portrait lens by put people in center of the frame. Again, 28mm seems consistence deliver nice color and rendering image. Your 21 leaf shots are just beautiful.

Charles, I like the two people walk along the beach shot and the first one from Springbrook, Canyon Valley. How do you like Noct 50 compare to 50lux?

Luka, I like the texture of first and simplicity of last one from your first set and last green shot of 2nd set. 28cron? not again.

Apr 30, 2012 at 05:37 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.507 #14 · p.507 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, below are some shots from San jose I mentioned, I took those shots after I send my film to lab before work. The building just cross the street. I took some snaps. It was raining.
I believe it is San jose city hall. It is really a surprise to see such a fancy government building in US. Though, in China, the fanciest building in the city, especially small city, usually is city hall. A shame.

All with CV35 1.2.

Apr 30, 2012 at 05:38 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.507 #15 · p.507 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Charles, Luka and Michael!

Luka, I very much like the first three. Quite a bold and crisp feeling from the 28 Cron.
Michael, all three are interesting and I like your PP treatment, as it suits the architectural style very nicely. Looks like an interesting building.

Here's one more with the Summarit wide open:

Apr 30, 2012 at 08:25 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.507 #16 · p.507 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Luka and Michael, thanks
Luka, excellent set! I really like #3, and the texture and feel to #2
Michael, love the architectural style of shots, particularly #1 and 3!
Ron, very nice composition and feel to the shot

zhangyue wrote:
Charles, I like the two people walk along the beach shot and the first one from Springbrook, Canyon Valley. How do you like Noct 50 compare to 50lux?

Michael, the 50 Lux Asph, has no peers IMO. It is light, compact and just one amazing lens. The 50 Noct f 1.0 IV, is also very unique in its Mandler style rendering and is very similar the the 75 Lux in so many ways. It is heavier 630gms, MFD 1.0m but this version is very well balanced on the M9. I have been carrying it all day, and have not noticed the weight. In comparison the silver 50 Lux Asph weighs in at 460gms, and the black version at 335gms. The 75 Lux weighs in at 560gms for comparison. The 50 Lux stays on most of the time, with the 24 Lux in the back ground. The 50 Nocti f 1.0, will be used like the the 75 Lux. No surprising, since Mandler based the design of the 75 Lux on the Noct f1.0 design.

Shots with the 50 Nocti f 1.0 IV. The second shot is at f 1.0, but now PP'd with LR 4.1 CR2 with the Chromatic Corrections applied.

May 01, 2012 at 12:31 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.507 #17 · p.507 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Looks nice Charles, though in the reprocessed image I barely see any difference I think one of the other images with the traffic lights and the purple fringing would be more indicative... or the 24 Lux auto show image from a while back with all the severe purple fringing.

A fellow FMer was very kind to loan me his Nikkor 10.5cm for a couple weeks and I've been taking it out during my walks in place of the 90 Summarit. I haven't really done much in the way of side by side comparisons, rather just trying to get a feel for the Nikkor on its own.

My impression so far is that it's probably similar to the differences Luka explained a while back between the 90 Cron and the 90 Cron AA, though the Nikkor has less CA than the 90 Cron. It has very nice rendering but some field curvature and not as sharp corner to corner at far distances and wider apertures compared to the 90 Summarit. Therefore, for technical applications, the Summarit would be preferred, and the 90AA would be the ultimate solution, but the Nikkor is by no means unsharp. It's just a question of how sharp one 'needs' a lens to be.

It also has an extremely long focus throw, particularly at close distances, making precision focusing much easier than the Summarit. At near infinity distances I can fine tune focus slowly enough because there is enough throw, whereas the Summarit is a fractional rotation off infinity and results in a noticeable change in focus. I feel a lot more confident focusing the Nikkor, though still have misses with it.

Anyway, here are some photos:

Both were wide open. The second was at about minimum focusing distance.

Here is the 50 Lux, also wide open and around minimum focusing distance (though maybe not quite):

BTW, for these I did have clarity cranked up a fair amount... for personal preference.

Some more Nikkor, all wide open:

These are stopped down to f/8 I think:

The Nikkor will flare, as seen in the second to last image, so for many of these backlit shots I had to shield direct sunlight from the front element with my hand. But I think most 50mm+ lenses will flare in such situations. The 90 Summarit certainly does, as does the 50 Lux ASPH and ZM50P, from personal experience.

May 01, 2012 at 02:36 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.507 #18 · p.507 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, very nice comparisons! The Nikkor 105 is one of my all time favourite lenses. I love the first shot!

Samples with the 24 Lux from the Bangkok Motor show, showing the severe purple fringing in the foreground, and then with LR 4.1 CR2 correction applied to the second shot

May 01, 2012 at 02:57 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.507 #19 · p.507 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for reprocessing that image Charles - looks very promising!

While out for my walk last Friday, I was quite drawn to the grassy slope in the ravine in many of the images above. Behind me were some wooded hills that looked like this:

Quite the mess of trees...

After the sun set, I turned around to see a herd of deer. Not really that unusual here, since it's a conservation area and directly next to a neighbourhood, therefore hunting isn't allowed and they're quite used to people.. so I got in some 'wildlife' photography with the Nikkor as well.

And the previous evening, two from a herd of 11 I stumbled upon about 20 minutes earlier deeper in the woods:

There's supposedly a deer overpopulation problem and it will be interesting to see how it's dealt with...

May 01, 2012 at 03:22 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.507 #20 · p.507 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Ron. I really like #1 & #5 of the first set and the last picture of your second set. Very nice highlights on those yellow leaves.

May 01, 2012 at 03:35 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password