Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              505      
       507              942       943       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Andrew Gough
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.506 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

More Hamilton

Andrew

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.506 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Joe - oops - typo! Not 90 Cron, rather Summarit. Fixed it. Haha! The 75 Summarit is Andrew's. I think on the whole it's a bit sharper than the 90 Summarit. Cool series and like the first two a lot.
Thanks Andrew, and I think I can say the same that there are views/scenes/angles you found I overlooked or didn't get to work. Like your first, which I saw, but never focused specifically on that composition. I really like the fifth one, and my take on it is from farther back...

50 Lux:

90 Summarit:

50 Lux:

28 Cron:

Apr 25, 2012 at 01:17 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.506 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Andrew, Charles, Ron, Joe

Andrew - some nice sets. Like your walk around shots from Hamilton. The one with the car is great comp! The first shot on this page I really like the pp as well

Charles - your portraits are excellent as always! Really like the second one

Ron - what a catch on the pic printed and placed on the walls! The textures look great on the 2nd to last pic of the door, really like that look

Joe - the first B/W pic is awesome. At first look I would have probably trashed that myself but looking at it on the large screen that pic rocks! I love the blur

more from the beach

75 Lux

35 Nokton for the rest

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:54 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.506 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

RyanFlynn, Charles, Ryan, Joe, Ron, Andrew beautiful shots everyone. Sorry can't more specifically comment on the fotos I love.

Didn't go anywhere this week. A 50 summicron shot.

'Nobody Care'

Apr 25, 2012 at 07:52 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.506 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, Joe, Andrew, Ryan and Michael, thank you Finally arrived back in Australia, this morning. Will have some shots to post as I get back into the back log of business in the office!

Ron, very nice of shots! All are great in composition, but I really like the depth of colour rendering with 21 and 50 Lux The second set is really nice too. Always great composition, and PP'ing too. You need to write a blog on your experience, as regards to your PP'ing!

Joe, nice set from Dubai!!! Fascination place

Andrew, loving this set of shots! Fav is the first shot. Very nice, comps and PP'ing

Ryan, love that first shot with the 75 Lux! Nice shots

Michael, very neat capture of your son!!

Shots from yesterday from the Mother Temple of Besakih, where there have been virtually month prayers. The Balinese, religion is based on Hindu, but is very different interpretation of the Hindu as it had originated from India, where they have no figure of gods that they worship in the temples.

Again with the 24 and 50 Lux

Apr 26, 2012 at 02:32 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.506 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Very nice Ryan, Michael and Charles.

Here are some more from the walk with Andrew - a vertical lines series:

M9 & 90 Summarit except last image is 28 Cron.

Apr 27, 2012 at 05:23 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.506 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Ron Very nice graphic compositions. I love how you pick these shots from your walks! Interesting to see the comparison in rendering between the 90 Summarit and the 28 Cron!

I received my 50 Noctilux f/1.0 IV, yesterday after arriving back in Oz after my Bali trip The lens is 16 years old, in mint condition, and is perfectly calibrated on both my M9's. I am really surprised at how well the ergonomics of this lens have been designed. It is very well balanced, and does not feel like it is too obtrusive at all, and is very easy to use. It is a long focus throw, very similar to the 75 Lux, and is very accurate for focusing. It is not as quick a lens to use as the 50 Lux, but I am still in the process of learning how to use it! The intent had been to use this lens, for its rendering qualities for portraits, and with very few shots taken, I am really liking the look and paint like qualities. I definitely prefer this over the CV 50/1.1 Nokton, with which I never gelled with, and the 50 f1.1 Nokton, always had focusing issues wide open.

A shot from yesterday with the 50 Noctilux f/1.0 at f/1.0

Edited on Apr 27, 2012 at 01:31 PM · View previous versions

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:07 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.506 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Michael, Charles Ron

Michael - nice portrait of the kid. I like the way you always get candid pics of the kids

Charles - great portraits as usual! Love the last one with smoke

Ron - great vertical series! The last 3 are excellent!

A few more from the beach......35 Nokton II and 75 Lux...you know which is which

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.506 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Wow - such nice colors Ryan. I like the last pic a lot. Too bad that creepy lookin' guy intruded on your picture in the third photo. My guess is you will miss the M9 a lot...

Apr 27, 2012 at 02:11 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.506 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for comments.

Charles, I really like the number 2 of your first set, gorgeous color. Both Noct portraits are nice and like you said, its rendering like 75lux's brother from those shots. DOF transition are very special.

Ron, As always, I like your city series. I get some inspiration from your shots and took some shots in San Jose yesterday. I will post them later.

Ryan, Those shots from beach are some best of your works. you not only capture good color with good using of DOF, you capture the mood, which is really make those pictures stand out. If last one from 75lux, the lens should be in your bag

Here are two pictures from 50 rigid.

Hey, now I got my poor manís M9 backup, I no longer need change lens in filed.
I recently bought a M3 after some research cause 50mm is my favorite focal length. I got it on Monday. (I am really a victim of GAS.) I want to get a feeling of Film. I haven't touched it for almost 15 years. No, this doesnít hint I know anything about film before other than some P&S camera with maybe twice a year usage in college.

The seller is kind enough give me some films for trying. My first roll is Kodak Ektar100, I took the whole roll in my backyard with my family after work. Later on, I know that this film is not suit for portrait/people shot, so the skin tone are on the hot side, especially in golden hour. But, but, this thing is really pushing my interesting in Photography into another level. It is not about how real it is, but how the outputs are different from Digital.

Below are some shots from that roll, I develop the whole roll from my local lab. Those are from 3M low resolution scan with 1800X1200, (I am sure they will be a lot better if I have high resolution scan).

I slightly touch up with contrast, curve, saturation and sharpness in LR.

All with M3 and 50 Rigid DR. All wide open.

Apr 27, 2012 at 05:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

glee719
• • •
p.506 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

I never mastered shooting kids on manual focus, you are a much more deserving owner of the camera than me haha. I am glad you are enjoying it.

Apr 27, 2012 at 05:44 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.506 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks everyone!

Charles - looks really nice! I'm interested in what you do with this lens. Will you take it on your Thailand trips, etc.? Having recently tried a couple 1950s era LTM lenses, both had long focus throws which I really appreciated for focusing ease. Not necessarily fast focusing, but it was a lot more reassuring how easy it was to align the rangefinder.

Ryan, again, great colors and feel in those images - where was it?

Michael, very moody feel to the power line images. Love the film images! TBH, I think you could have done that with the M9. Where I think the film mystique comes into play is in regards to predictability and anticipation. There is no instant review of the shot you just made, so you have to wait until it's back from the lab. And the look is very much a characteristic of the process, or processing, dependent on the film characteristics, the lab's chemistry, the lab operator's printing preferences, etc.. In other words, there are more variables in the stages between capture and final image, many of which are outside the photographer's control.

In terms of film to try - I think Kodak Portra would be a good one. Maybe some Kodak BW400CN if you want B&W but can have processed at a one hour lab...

I look forward to your San Jose images!

Here are the last few odds and ends from the photo walk with Andrew:

28 Cron:

75 Summarit:

90 Summarit:

75 Summarit:

21 Lux:

75 Summarit:

Apr 27, 2012 at 06:23 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.506 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ryan, Michael and Ron, thanks guys

Ryan, great colour palette and toning. Very nice set!! Love the dreamlike effect with the 75 Lux

Michael, congrats on the M3 Nice powerful feel to the power lines, and love the film shots! I really like the tonality and your interpretation of your shots! Yes I agree, the fascination in photography, is not always the sharpness and colour correctness, but how we wish to express the images we perceive. This is so evident in the excellent thread with Philippe and Boris

Ron, excellent set! I really like the effect and play of shadows in this set. This a great attribute in your shots, on how you use shadows, and the play of light.
The 50 Nocti f/1.0, will be part of the standard set of lenses on my trips. Great for low light shots and portraits. One of strengths is not always at f 1.0, but at higher f stops, f 1.4 to f 4.0. giving a very unique look different from the 50 Lux

The rest of my shots from Bali are here in these links

Bali Ubud, Tamang Siring Temple - Holy Water Temple, Mother Temple of Besakih

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.506 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Charles, I enjoyed the links. The one of the woman on the street in Ubud with the red basket on her head made me chuckle a bit. Looks like she's not so impressed with having her photo taken. How safe are the monkeys? Looks like they get pretty close... The one resting on the step calls for a close-in portrait, but I'd be worried about it jumping me at that distance.

Apr 28, 2012 at 03:12 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.506 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Ron! The monkeys you do have to be careful. Very friendly, but can be quick to bite if you are not careful. Anything loose they will run off with, glasses, camera and loose stuff in your pockets.

Some shots this afternoon with the 50 Noctilux f/1.0 IV, mainly at f 1.0 to f 2.8. The weather has been drenching rain all day, so I grabbed shots by the beach from under my rain coat.

Edited on Apr 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM · View previous versions

Apr 28, 2012 at 06:22 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.506 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for the reply Charles - very moody look from the beach. Weather here has been nice, though a bit cool. Here's one with the 28 Cron from a couple days ago:

Apr 28, 2012 at 09:18 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.506 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, very nice composition and lines! Love that 28 Cron Weather has been very bleak.

More shots with 50 Noct @ f 1.0

Apr 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM
vovkinson
• • •
p.506 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Nice shots, Charles! Did you use zone focusing or just waited until those guys come to your pre-focus mark?

Apr 28, 2012 at 06:04 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.506 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Michael, great shots of your kids. You are one of really few photographers that consistently mange to take interesting family shots. Great work!

Ron, superb set - really excellent play with shadows, contrasts and lines

Charles, congrats on the Noctilux - I knew you'd end up with one in the end Very nice shots!

From a construction site:

Apr 28, 2012 at 07:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.506 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Charles and Luka!

Charles, looks like pretty good subject separation in the one of the surfers. Some purple fringing around the traffic signals, but it doesn't come as a surprise with such a fast lens.

Luka, great set and really love the first one - the green organic shape contrasts nicely again the linear background, yet echoes the texture of the concrete in the weave of the material...

BTW, here is my pipes contribution from the same day as the previous image I posted:

While this one doesn't fit to the theme of the previous three, I can't resist posting it as well. Just love the cloud and the overall feel. It's also a significant building here in Hamilton - long abandoned and a symbol of the city's decaying downtown, it was recently completely renovated.

All with the 28 Cron

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password