FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              504      
       506              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.505 #1 · p.505 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Andrew, In first set, I like the first two BW street shots and the color one with underwear hanging in the middle of frame In the 2nd set, I like #1 and #2, especially the bike shot.

Joe, thanks for the info about the scanner and VSCO. No, I don't know VSCO before, but noticed their price I will do some investigation before any commitment. but your examples are very impressive.

Your BW set is very high quality set again. I like the #1, 3 and 4. #3 looks very familiar that must be a very famous place.

As for film, it is all about process and shooting experience. I can't explain it easily what is different in terms of simulated Digital file. Maybe end results can be mimic but not the whole process

I am not a hardcore film user for sure but I find it is very fun to shoot one or two roll per month occasionally. M3 help me have better understanding the fuss of "M" and light and exposure. I can't say I love film but in this case, I understand why people love it.

I can give another example of this digital vs analog thing: listening digital remastered classical recording from 1950-70s, even with those static analog noise, is totally different experience than listen Vinyl itself, it is all about process and experience(listening)

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:52 PM
AshNZ
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.505 #2 · p.505 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Too many nice photos to comment on since I was last here.

A weekend in Seattle with a side trip to Mt Rainier, which is approximately 2 hours south of downtown Seattle. All Leica M8 and 28mm Summicron ASPH except for the night shot of the skyline with was the 50mm Summilux ASPH at 1/30.

Aug 10, 2012 at 06:17 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.505 #3 · p.505 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

could you guys post the camera settings along with the images? Like Andrew, Luka & Joe88 do?
I can see some beautiful shots posted by Ron & Charles and I think it wouldn't hurt much to know the shutter / aperture setting. Some guys are willing to learn from you guys, and it would be very helpful.
Just my suggestion.

Thanks!

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:11 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.505 #4 · p.505 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Paul, nice B&W conversion
Andrew, another excellent set from Shanghai! Love the subtle colour tones in the first shot, and very nice portrait capture
Joe, superb set of shots from Kyoto!! Particularly #2 and 4, just love the layers, the flow and composition
Ash, excellent series. I really like the abstract composition of #4
Vovkinson, the exiff data should be available in most shots. I keep the camera data there when I upload my shots

I am back in Bangkok, and then Tainan. A shot from last night with the 50 Nocti @ f/1.0 under fluoro lighting

Aug 10, 2012 at 09:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.505 #5 · p.505 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

vovkinson wrote:
could you guys post the camera settings along with the images? Like Andrew, Luka & Joe88 do?
I can see some beautiful shots posted by Ron & Charles and I think it wouldn't hurt much to know the shutter / aperture setting. Some guys are willing to learn from you guys, and it would be very helpful.
Just my suggestion.

Thanks!

Most of my images should have the exif embedded, though with the M9 that means the shutter speed will be correct but the aperture will be an approximation. Not sure if you can read the exif directly from my images displayed here via a browser plug-in, as for some reason I can't do that with my images but can for those posted by others. It's probably my web host.

My exposure philosophy is pretty straight forward. If it's sunny and the subject is in full sun, then it's roughly the Sunny f/16 rule. If it's a typical landscape image and I'm just looking for a sharp image from front to back, then it's stopped down to f/8 or even f/11 (despite possible diffraction degradation). If it looks like it's wide open, then it probably is, unless it was sunny and I wasn't using an ND filter. My finding so far is that I like to use the Leica lenses I own either wide open, or stopped well down for more depth of field. I'll shoot at intermediate aperture settings as well, but find that for scenes where I want edge to edge sharpness, often there is slightly lower lens performance in the mid-zone image area. Depending on the lens, this can result in a slightly smeared look. I find this particularly with the 21 Lux. I really like the look from it wide open at nearer distances - being able to get such wide angle coverage with subject isolation is kind of unique. But around f/2.8-4 the mid-zone areas have an unpleasant, slightly smeared look, that goes away beyond f/8. The one lens that I'll use at all aperture settings is the 90 Summarit. It appears to be pretty consistent across the frame. The 28 Cron is close to this too... You can get a pretty good feel for how the lens will perform by checking Leica's MTFs.

Many of the recent images posted from the Bruce Peninsula were made late afternoon or early evening and I didn't bring a tripod, so it was a matter of juggling the ISO to find a reasonable shutter speed to give me the aperture I wanted, hence my earlier post about finding a decent lightweight travel tripod. I was often in situation where I was ISO 640 just to be able to get f/5.6 and when viewing the full-rez images, in some it's evident the depth of field wasn't deep enough for what I wanted to get in focus.

28 Cron, 1/250 and probably between f/8-11:

21 Lux 1/350 f/11:

28 Cron 1/90 probably f/5.6 ISO 320:

28 Cron 1/4000 f/2. I tried some here at f/8-11 as well but the sense of depth was completely lost. Even now impression that it's a 100' drop to the water isn't that strong:

21 Lux 1/4000 and probably around f/2 or so and probably near minimum focusing, which with a 21mm lens isn't great for trying to get close to the subject:

50 Lux ISO 640 1/125 f/11. I also tried some at wider apertures but seem to like the deeper focus here better:

28 Cron 1/250 f/8? ISO 160:

Charles - nice portrait and looking forward to seeing what you find this time around.
Ash - great set and variety!
Joe - also a great set and really like #2. That film emulation software seems to do a very good job from your samples. I'll give it a look.
Andrew - great continuation and particularly like the second set.
Paul - I think there is something about the color version of that scene that works better for me. I think the color helps with the subject separation, including the cooler blues and greens of the background, which is lost with grayscale.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.505 #6 · p.505 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron - great shots, I like #4 and #7 the best. That orange "warning!" lichen is awesome!

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.505 #7 · p.505 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Nice shots, Ron. Nice depth and clarity. Colors are nice as well.

Aug 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM
vovkinson
• • •
p.505 #8 · p.505 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thank you Ron! Your tutorial is very helpful!

Aug 11, 2012 at 01:40 PM
AshNZ
• •
p.505 #9 · p.505 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Another stitch, unfortunately it has errors but I still like it. Perhaps I need to do something about the sky color...

Charles - nice lighting
Ron - I like 6, again, good 'depth' to the light

Aug 11, 2012 at 06:25 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.505 #10 · p.505 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Ron and Ash
Ron, great shots, as you really get a feel for the rugged coastline. Excellent colours and PP'ing as usual. Favourite is #6.

Ash, stunning scenery!

Vovikinson, thanks! Most of the recent shots here with the 50 Nocti f/1.0, are at f/1.0 to f/1.8 for lower light portraits. This is also in keeping with the minor focus shift in this older lens. Checking the exiff, there will be slight differences, as it is only a calculated value that is recorded. And for outdoor, landscape/seascape shots, f/4 to f/8.0

First shot indoors with the 50 Nocti f1/0 @ f/1.2. Then late this afternoon I also visited a temple, Wat Rakang Kositaram, while a massive storm came through. I was under cover and captured a few shots with very low fluoro lighting

Edited on Aug 12, 2012 at 07:30 PM · View previous versions

Aug 11, 2012 at 09:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

najibs
• • •
p.505 #11 · p.505 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

More X1 shots...

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM
najibs
• • •
p.505 #12 · p.505 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

And some more X1 shots again...

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM
JonasY
• •
p.505 #13 · p.505 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, thanks! Love the mood in your forest pictures.

Andrew, thanks and great subtle colors from Shanghai.

najibs, you show why the X1 is a real Leica. That 24 mm lens must be one of the best out there for APS-C sensors, just a tremendous pop. Damn, I almost dodged when the Land Rover picture showed up, what is it doing inside my room!? I actually had serious plans to buy the X1 instead of the M8, and recently I have been thinking about it again (see below).

But I must confess that lately I've been thinking naughty thoughts While I absolutely love the feeling of my M8, and the output is just amazing, it might not be the camera for me. Manual focus is a breeze even compared to the D700 I had before, but it's still a limitation. MFD is also an ever annoying concern.

Since I got the D700 I've always despised small sensors, but I cannot deny the photos I've seen taken with for example the OM-D with quality glass, including the "PanaLeica" lens. It looks annoyingly good, knowing there are few trade offs in form of modern gizmos such as AF, IS and clean high ISO shoots. Another option is the X1 (X2 is too much money imo) which will give me all the Leica colors I'm used to, and a truly pocket sized camera. But a M camera is just not some possession you can sell just like that ...

Aug 12, 2012 at 03:33 PM
najibs
• • •
p.505 #14 · p.505 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

JonasY wrote:
najibs, you show why the X1 is a real Leica. That 24 mm lens must be one of the best out there for APS-C sensors, just a tremendous pop. Damn, I almost dodged when the Land Rover picture showed up, what is it doing inside my room!? I actually had serious plans to buy the X1 instead of the M8, and recently I have been thinking about it again (see below).

But I must confess that lately I've been thinking naughty thoughts While I absolutely love the feeling of my M8, and the output is just amazing, it might not
...Show more

Thanks. Let's trade then. The M8 suits my style a bit better, as I've owned it before and like the versatility of changing lenses. If you just want an all in one solution, then the X1 is pretty good. My X1 comes with the optional optical viewfinder, too...Most of my shots are daytime, so although high ISO isn't as good as the X1, the M8 is more to my style of photography. I'd swap it for your M8 if you're interested...

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:05 PM
JonasY
• •
p.505 #15 · p.505 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

najibs wrote:
Thanks. Let's trade then. The M8 suits my style a bit better, as I've owned it before and like the versatility of changing lenses. If you just want an all in one solution, then the X1 is pretty good. My X1 comes with the optional optical viewfinder, too...Most of my shots are daytime, so although high ISO isn't as good as the X1, the M8 is more to my style of photography. I'd swap it for your M8 if you're interested...

Great idea, but too much hassle included in transatlantic trades

Aug 12, 2012 at 04:10 PM
najibs
• • •
p.505 #16 · p.505 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

JonasY wrote:
Great idea, but too much hassle included in transatlantic trades

Didn't realize you were in Sweden.

Aug 12, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.505 #17 · p.505 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charles - I always enjoy your portraits - well done!
Ron - Really nice pics and great pp as usual...
Ash - Very nice pano. Looks like an amazing place!

A few sunset shots from me.... And a cool sandcastle.

ZM50P

Elmarit 28 asph

90 Cron

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:11 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.505 #18 · p.505 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary, thank you very much
Najibs, nice captures!
Gary, wonderful seascapes!!! Favourite is #3

Some more shots from Bangkok, 50 Nocti f/1.0

Aug 13, 2012 at 09:08 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.505 #19 · p.505 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Ash, very nice scene, and perhaps a bit of work in PS could clean up the stitches? What's the issue with the sky - too cyan? Should be a simple fix by tweaking the cyan and blue hue sliders
Charles, great sets again. The woman in the earlier set above is very nicely done and love the street portraits.
Wow najibs, you're really making the X1 sing. The Land Rover and GF1 shots really pop for me!
Gary - very, very nice. Really like #1 and especially #3. Cool sand sculpture too!

Some rocks along the shoreline...

The first three are variations of the same scene

50 Lux ASPH 1/350 @ f/8 ISO: 160

28 Cron, same exposure as the image above

Elsewhere along the 'beach' and all with 28 Cron

1/250 @ f/9.5 ISO: 160

1/125 @ f/4 ISO: 320

1/90 @ f/4 ISO: 320

1/90 @ f/4 ISO: 320

1/45 @ f/4.8 ISO: 320

Aug 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM
edwin_sn
• • •
p.505 #20 · p.505 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

gentlemen,
i know this is OT but i guess i will get quicker comments here since most M9 users are here. I noticed that after upgrading to the latest firmware that there is a slight delay of the recock even when finger is off the shutter already in discrete mode...longer than usual. Does anybody experienced this? Regarding power management in the new firmware, i noticed the camera just shuts down when battery level is still about 40-50%. My 3 batteries were ok up until 10% life on the previous firmware. Can I go back to the previous firmware? I dont want to buy new batteries knowing that these were fine before the update.

Aug 14, 2012 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.