p.504 #1 · p.504 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Few from Summilux 50 ASPH ....

Aug 06, 2012 at 02:39 PM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.504 #2 · p.504 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Gary, Charles!

Gary, excellent set. #2 in the forest is my favorite.
Seekuh, excellent portrait with the 50Cron.
Charles, excellent set. #2 is my favorite.
Paul, very nice swan and bench shot with the 50Lux.

Aug 06, 2012 at 09:18 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.504 #3 · p.504 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Joe, thank you
Paul, nice set! I do like the bench shot

Aug 07, 2012 at 05:16 AM
najibs
• • •
p.504 #4 · p.504 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

X1 shots from today at the beach...

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:30 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.504 #5 · p.504 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Jonas, love that color of first one.
telluridestock, Another nice BW portrait.
Joe, nice rendering.
Doug, great street portait!
Gary, love the whole set. Very nice color and composition.
Hilmar, The whole set looks great, lighting and color are wonderful.
Charles, Number 1 is outstanding shot. I like it a lot.
Paul, the swan shot is my favorite.

50corn

VC35

and some X post from film.
50cron with M3 portra 160

portra 400

35cron V1 M3 portra 400

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.504 #6 · p.504 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice film shot's Michael. A few more from me.... First two with 28 Elmarit asph and last one with 90 cron.

Aug 08, 2012 at 02:50 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.504 #7 · p.504 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Michael, thank you Great film shots! Beautiful depth of colours!! Also very nice portrait of your daughter with the 50 Cron.
Gary, very nice set! Love the detail in #1. The 90 Cron is a special lens, in the way it renders

Aug 08, 2012 at 03:56 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.504 #8 · p.504 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I've been meaning to add more, just been distracted lately... so here are a few, still from the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario. The Bruce Trail cuts across the 'beach' in the first image. Man, without great footwear with proper support, my feet and ankles were pretty beat up after walking that entire stretch. Dipping my feet in the frigid Georgian Bay water helped some!

M9 & 28 Cron except the last one is the 21 Lux. Sorry if some of these are a bit crunchy... Photo Mechanic's sharpening option is either on or off, and off is too soft when scaled to this size. Too lazy to play with various output sharpening options in LR, and no inclination to use PS.

Michael, I think your interpretation of digital files and how you process film scans is quite similar. That might be one of the best renditions of Portra 160 I've seen in ages. I always think of it as a lower contrast, softer film, but that one of the bikes really feels clean. Not sure how else to describe it. #2 is also intriguing.
Gary, great colours and compositions in this set. Still amazed your working from SOOC Jpegs. Also love the first one of the previous set. BTW, what is that? I could see that image printed really huge.
Charles - nice set and interesting contrast in the rendering of the portrait by your son vs. the other images.
najibs - great to see more from the X1.
Paul - love the bench image!
joanlvh - I'm not sure what the problem is? Looks like you shot through a window.
Jonas - love the 'union jack' one especially. It's magic to my eyes.
Joe - nice find - 50 Cron?
Doug - I really like this one, as well as the 'Cisco Kid' portrait on the previous page.
Anderw - wow, great use of the 50 Lux. The subject in some of these really pop out.
Hilmar - very nice! How do you like the 24 Lux for general stopped down work? With the 21 Lux I've found it's better than I expected. While there is a fair amount of CA, it cleans up and the complex mustache distortion can be problematic, but often can be minimized. While I'd still like to try the 21 SEM, having f/1.4 available at any time has been more useful than I imagined for a wide angle lens. In fact, I really like the look from it wide open, so tend to shoot it either at f/1.4 or at f/8 through 11 for best corner to corner performance.

Aug 08, 2012 at 06:53 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.504 #9 · p.504 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for comments, Ron, Gary, Charles.

Gary, The first one stand out to me. the composition is great, color and sharpness also very proper.

Ron, I love 1, 2, 4 and 5 in this set. Without reading your description about sharpness, I actually like them a lot. I know you are not doing Multistage sharpening as a lot of people doing in this forum, but your pictures looks awesome to me. Love those detail on green.

28cron has long time on my list, I keep telling myself I need wait and you keep post awesome pictures from it. Cool down, I know it is not a good time Wait another 3 month.....

Aug 08, 2012 at 07:48 AM
alwang
• • •
p.504 #10 · p.504 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
and some X post from film.

Hi Michael,

Very nice shots, and your film scans look very clean for 35mm: do you do the scans yourself, or take them to a lab?

Aug 08, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.504 #11 · p.504 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Michael - I'm enjoying the 28 Cron a lot more than I expected I would. Initially I thought of it more as 'filling the gap' between 21 and 50, rather than continuing with 21, 35 and 50 because 35 and 50 are pretty close. But it's now the lens I keep on the camera at all times in the bag and is usually what I start with. For some of my client work, such as event coverage, 28 isn't too wide where unflattering distortion becomes an issue, and it's a good 'point and shoot' focal length where focus doesn't need to be as critical as with the 50 (even stopped down past 5.6), and I'll just crop to optimize compositions. So, for me it's a 28/35/50 Tri-Elmar but with digital zoom instead and two stops faster. I wonder if Leica might release a 28 Lux, and whether I would buy it... I like the form factor of the Cron and suspect a Lux would be somewhere in size between the 35 and 24, so not all that small. And of course pricy. Then the question becomes whether to spend that money on one faster lens, or on an M10 that theoretically should have better high-ISO capability and work fine with the Cron in low light situations...

Anyways, rambling...

Some more from the same place:

Same as before - first four with 28 Cron, last one with 21 Lux.

Aug 08, 2012 at 04:08 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.504 #12 · p.504 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

alwang wrote:
Hi Michael,

Very nice shots, and your film scans look very clean for 35mm: do you do the scans yourself, or take them to a lab?

Thanks I develop and scan them at Costco. They scan them at about 6M file, which I think it is pretty balanced solution based on what I see and hear from this forum. Before using Costco, I use a local lab but the price is triple with 2M scan. double again if I want 12M scan. I find my last 6-8 exposure of last roll get ruined by Costco after I am home. there are some important portraits of my kids. To be fair, M9 on SD card also have problems at first three month of ownership. I lose a card and about 50 images

I plan to get a scanner, but I am still debating if I should get a 35mm or flat bed scanner for both 35mm and MF film.

Use 35mm Film for me is not for fidelity but experience and character of film. M3 is a joy to use, a ultimate image capture machine.

Ron, Another great set. I can echo your feeling about 28mm. 35mm is acting that role in my bag temperately. 50mm is my beloved focal length as the view is very neutral, and people can focus on image/story itself instead of seeking dramatic visual effect of wide and tele.That is my personal favorite focal length.

Aug 08, 2012 at 05:15 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.504 #13 · p.504 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, thanks Great set of shots!! Excellent lighting and angles in your compositions. I also I really like your WB, as sometimes it is so difficult to get is right in forests with the over whelming green content.

Walking on those rocks is not easy work!!

The sharpening is perfect for the 21 Lux shots. Favourite shot is #3 in the second set!!!

Aug 09, 2012 at 01:36 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.504 #14 · p.504 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

P549

JonasY, Love the Union Jack shot!

telluride, I would say that you nailed it with the older man shot! Wonderful skin tones.

Gary, Nice to see some ZM18 shots! Your second set is wonderful as well.

Seekuh, Your shot of the Canal is really nicely done, I like the composition and the highlight control. Same goes for the second and third... The last shot shows nice bokeh from the rigid, but the woman does not look happy at having her photo taken...

Charles, as usual nice work with the Noctilux. the softness in the young girl shot works well. I am seeing the same look when I focus/recompose.

Paul, I would like to see the bench shot as BW!

najibs Nice family outing!

MichaelNice work with the film, I miss the look of film - porta160 is a nice image.

Andrew

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.504 #15 · p.504 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

P550

Ron, Stone beach can be an ankle busting experience! Shots 3 & 4 really work for me, especially as I have hiked that trail a few times and never bothered to photograph it. Nice work!

Love the second set!

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:47 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.504 #16 · p.504 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Even more from Shanghai

Andrew

Aug 09, 2012 at 02:50 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.504 #17 · p.504 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

in order to add a close up lens to a X1 or X2 must you first mount an adaptor tube between the Elmarit 24mm and the close up lens? thanks joanlvh

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.504 #18 · p.504 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Really nice set Andrew! Well done.

Aug 09, 2012 at 10:31 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.504 #19 · p.504 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Andrew, thanks Another very nice set from Shanghai! Great use of the 50 Lux. Looking forward to your shots with the 50 Nocti

Aug 09, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.504 #20 · p.504 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Gary, great colours and compositions in this set. Still amazed your working from SOOC Jpegs. Also love the first one of the previous set. BTW, what is that? I could see that image printed really huge.

Thanks Ron! They are gooseneck barnacles.... Pretty neat to see.

Edited on Aug 10, 2012 at 01:31 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2012 at 03:38 AM
1       2       3              503      
       505              1380       1381       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              503      
       505              1380       1381       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password