Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              502      
       504              1007       1008       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.503 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Contas, Michael, Ron, Charles, Kelly - great shots!

Gary - your birds on the prior page are excellent! Is that a LTM Nikkor 105 f/2.5? It is a great lens, just a little....large

Here are a couple of my older Nikkor 105 shots that I really liked, great portrait lens

Charles - can't wait to see some of your shots with the 50 Noctilux...that should make for some great portraits

On to more interesting things.....Windows......35 Nokton II

28 Hexanon

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.503 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, beautiful portrait shots!!! Love those window shots

Some more shots from riverside temple with the 50 Lux

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.503 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice portrait of your daughter Ryan! Yes, it is the ltm version and i really like it a lot. Large lens and long focus throw but great results every time.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.503 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Charles, Gary!

Charles - that first portrait is excellent

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:35 PM
joakim
• • •
p.503 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue, nice b&w set.
Ron, I like the four in landscape orientation because they make a strong set together with the same format, distance and similarity in subject matter.
Ryan, nice portraits of your daughter and I also the windows theme. Maybe you should try raincoats the next time
Charles, the second portraits really stands out. I like that you photographed him in profile and that you included the other monks in the background.

From contemplating monks to something much more ordinary. Swedish television showed a two hour documentary about Queen during easter, so todays theme was bicycles. All with 35 cron.

"Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle"

Apr 18, 2012 at 05:14 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.503 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks everyone.

Kelly - the quality of the light is very nice, contrasted against the deep blue of the sky.
Ryan - love the portraits. They have a gentle rendering and now you've got me thinking about the 105... which I just read more about recently. I didn't realize from the photos that it's such a large lens. Perhaps long...? What about the Nikon 85 f/2 from the same era? Has anyone tried it in comparison?
Charles - very nice portraits and the tonality is gorgeous. Congrats on the Noctilux f/1 - can't wait to see what you do with it.
Joakim - fun set. I'm partial to the third one. Is the building in the second image the location of the demolition/construction site you photographed a couple months ago?

And now for some abstracts:

M9. 1, 2 are 90 Summarit; 3, 4, 6 are 50 Lux; 5 is 21 Lux.

Apr 18, 2012 at 05:50 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.503 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments, everyone.

Ron, I enjoy your whole first set very much. Nice you keep the same location with different time for last two. They are very consistent shining in colors and contrast. How you handle contrast in post? I have found if I move contrast slide too much in LR, the color get blended, and detail get lost, you seems to keep a very good balance out of it.
In your 2 urban abstract set, I especially like 2,3 and 4. I enjoy the combination of shape, line, color, tone and texture. Very inspiring. Where is it?

Kelly, A very nice night shot.

Charles, I am looking forward to seeing your Noct shot. Tell us how you feel about it. Both portraits are excellent with 3 dimensional depth. Are those wide open?

Ryan, I see you are selling your M9, are you leaving us?? the 2nd Portrait of your daughter is outstanding. Is that Nikon body or leica M shot. (I don’t know there is a Nikkor 105 M lens until see Gary’s BIF shots) Those windows are nice too.

Joakim, A very nice bike series. The #2 is my favorite.

OK, Here are my ‘Bench’ series. From past weekend with 50 summicron Rigid. I enjoy looking modern architecture/furniture. Those are from Euphrat Museum of Art in De Anza college. I just briefly lurk around with my son in that building while waiting for my daughter’s dancing class.

Apr 18, 2012 at 06:23 PM
joakim
• • •
p.503 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Ron and Michael!

Ron, the construction site is close to where I live while this was taken much closer to central Stockholm. Great use of lines and shadows in your set, third one is my favorite.

Michael, nice tonality and rendering with the 50 Summicron

Apr 18, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Siddhu
• •
p.503 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

@Ron - your last shot of the storefront is tops! For me it's on of the best shots you've posted.

Apr 18, 2012 at 06:38 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.503 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Ron but I am a sucker for lines, patterns, and textures. To answer your question, the Nikkor 10.5cm ltm is slightly longer than the 90 cron but seems to be very heavy. I really enjoy using it though and as I mentioned I usually get great results. From what I have read, the 10.5cm f/2.5 seems to have a bigger following than the 8.5cm f/2. The 10.5cm ltm's are quite hard to come by in good condition. There are quite a few in S mount though....

Apr 18, 2012 at 06:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • •
p.503 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary for the info. And of course, it's probably pretty obvious I'm also a sucker for lines, patterns, and textures.
Thanks also Joakim and Siddhu!

zhangyue wrote:
Ron, I enjoy your whole first set very much. Nice you keep the same location with different time for last two. They are very consistent shining in colors and contrast. How you handle contrast in post? I have found if I move contrast slide too much in LR, the color get blended, and detail get lost, you seems to keep a very good balance out of it.
In your 2 urban abstract set, I especially like 2,3 and 4. I enjoy the combination of shape, line, color, tone and texture. Very inspiring. Where is it?

Thanks Michael, and I'm partial to your first image. The location of the abstracts is in downtown Hamilton, where I live. It's right across the street from City Hall, occupying a block that was once much like the storefronts in the previous set, but was torn down at some point in the 50s-60s-70s for a big development project that included a convention center, art gallery, theater (for stage and music productions) and shopping mall nearby... totally changed the character of the area, though it's before my time. This coincided with the exodus of residents to the suburbs, resulting in a lot of rundown downtown properties and hard times for the merchants who remained. Plenty of parking lots in some areas where blocks of buildings used to stand. It's probably a fairly typical North American urban redevelopment story. There has also been some debate about the merits of saving some of the remaining 19th-early 20th century architecture in the downtown. One example was the 'Lister Block' which took a nearly $30 million commitment from the city to ensure it would be saved, though 3-4 similar buildings surrounding it were demolished...

At least Hamilton hasn't had the bad luck of Brantford about 30 minutes away, where the city expropriated a whole stretch of downtown buildings, many dating from the mid 1800s, and bulldozed them. Luckily I visited that site just weeks before everything was gone, as documented in my Flickr set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronscheffler/sets/72157624502727144/ (shot with my Canons)

Fortunately it seems times are improving in downtown Hamilton. The storefront images are from an area that has been reinvigorated by numerous small galleries and other arts related enterprises, breathing youthful life back into downtown, though it still has a ways to go.

Hamilton is not a huge city, so we don't have a large selection of modern architecture, but there are certainly examples, as the last set illustrates.

Here are a few more. The last is a more 'normal' view of the location to give you a better idea of context.

All with the 50 Lux.

The concrete building is the theater, called Hamilton Place, the brick building is the convention center. And this is seen from Commonwealth Square, which sounds fancy, but it's just an area over top an underground parking lot shared with the art gallery. The square is almost always desolate of people, other than the random skateboarder, perhaps because it's raised and somewhat shielded from the street, leading it to feel somewhat isolated and possibly give an unsafe impression. Because these buildings are all kind of 'special event' buildings, they seem to draw few people to that area on a regular basis, but it's pretty busy a couple blocks over, which coincidentally was the source for most of the 'across the street' shots in the previous set.
In case you're curious: Google maps: http://tinyurl.com/75tk56z

As for contrast... I leave it around 35 (in LR3) and will adjust the shadow fill slider a bit to compensate if necessary, as well as the tone curve. Any time you boost contrast, saturation will also increase and color fidelity will decrease. If you're having problems with a particular color, you can try adjusting that color's saturation and luminance sliders. My experience is using the shadow fill slider will quickly blow out high saturation colors, at least in LR3.

Apr 18, 2012 at 08:01 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.503 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Awesome Ron, all of them The first one is my favorite.

Apr 18, 2012 at 08:55 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.503 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, Joakim, Ron and Michael, thank you

Michael, yes all the shots are wide open with the 50 Lux. Ryan, Ron, and Michael, yes I am looking forward to seeing how the 50 Nocti f 1.0 IV performs. I do like the fact that is smaller and lighter than the f0.95 There is discussions on the very long focus throw on this version, compared to the latest, but I do find it great for focusing like on the 75 Lux.

Joakim, a very fun bike series! Favs are #2 and 4.

Michael, I really like the first shot! Nice tonality in all the shots

Ron, superb graphic compositions! Excellent stuff... and great PP'ing

Edited on Apr 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM · View previous versions

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.503 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I have finally found some time to process a few from my walk about with Ron in Hamilton.

I'm kinda so so on this one...

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.503 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice shots Andrew. I am really digging the rendering of the 28 cron..

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:11 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.503 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Its my favourite lens right now, but my 50mm summilux is about to arrive

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:15 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.503 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andrew, excellent series! Got to love the 28 Cron

Apr 19, 2012 at 01:22 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.503 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks very much Luka and Charles!

Great stuff Andrew! I'm still plugging away at my images from that day, having done some last night by coincidence. I guess I was most excited to see the 85 Sonnar results, and the rest fell by the wayside. An interesting aspect of seeing your results is how we could be standing literally side by side yet come away with different interpretations of a given scene. For example the second image of the church - I shot that all stopped down, but I like the separation you got by shooting wide open. I also like the first WATE angle a lot. Can't wait to see the rest.

Here are some more from last Friday night. The reason I was downtown was for the monthly 'art crawl' where galleries and related businesses along one street have new shows and are open late... and those without gallery representation set up on the street.

M9 & 28 Cron, last two 21 Lux.

Also, I have to thank whoever in our city's planning department was wise enough to select mercury vapor rather than sodium vapor street lighting along this stretch, otherwise I would have converted everything to B&W (not that there's anything wrong with that..)

Apr 19, 2012 at 02:28 AM
contas
• • •
p.503 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

So many great pics to see , thanks you all.
@Ron: your colors all in harmony.

Apr 19, 2012 at 02:55 AM
kkcsm

p.503 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, great portraits and I really like your window series.

Charles, the first portrait from the Riverside Temple is superb.

Joakim, nice bike series, the second is my favorite.

Ron, I love your use of lines, angles, shadow and light. I especially like the first image in your recent post with the iron sculpture in the foreground and the theatre and convention center in the background. The fish is terrific too.

Andrew, great colors and perspective, I love the one with the fence in the foreground. Nice work with the 28 Cron, I'm still trying to get the hang of my VC28.

Apr 19, 2012 at 04:20 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password