p.393 #1 · p.393 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

thanks LL

Paul, very nice set. I like #1 & #4

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:04 AM
lovinglife
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.393 #2 · p.393 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Paul - Congratulations, firstly on starting an epic thread!
Secondly, I like your #1 and #2

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:27 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.393 #3 · p.393 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

shtarka1 wrote:
Makten, so sharp & colorful! The 28 cron is keeping me up at night! Time to unload more Nikon gear soon!

Thanks, it's probably the best 28 I've used or seen results from. But on FF I'd choose a 35 mm lens, because it vignettes like hell even on the M8 and the bokeh isn't too nice towards the corners.

Two from today, both wide open. No problem with flare what so ever!

Run by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Darkness by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

I think I'll have to get one of those UV/IR filters though. Especially at low light, magentas are way too pronounced.

Oct 31, 2011 at 03:26 PM
Bobu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.393 #4 · p.393 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks LL, Charles and Steve!

Luka, here is the test you requested (distance about 2m, lifeview on 5DII, focus bracketing on M9, door as a flat test object, shot from tripod, identical settings in LR):

100MP, f/2.0, center:

90AA, f/2.0, center:

100MP, f/2.0, corner:

90AA, f/2.0, corner:

100MP, f/5.6, center:

90AA, f/5.6, center:

100MP, f/5.6, corner:

90AA, f/5.6, corner:

What I see is, that:
- corner sharpness at f/2.0 of the 100MP is significantly better
- center sharpness and microcontrast at f/2.0 of the 100MP is slightly better
- corner sharpness and microcontrast at f/5.6 of the 100MP is slightly better
- center sharpness at f/5.6 is nearly identical, maybe with the slight edge for the 100MP

This could either mean you got a bad copy of the 100MP or I got a bad copy of the 90AA. Since I have to send both Summilux lenses for MFD adjustment to Leica I will probably also send the 90AA to have it checked.

Boris

Oct 31, 2011 at 04:10 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
p.393 #5 · p.393 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Makten, is your 28 Cron coded? I found that with the lens coded and UV/IR filter, it performs beautifully in every respect.

Oct 31, 2011 at 04:11 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.393 #6 · p.393 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Bobu wrote:
What I see is, that:
- corner sharpness at f/2.0 of the 100MP is significantly better
- center sharpness and microcontrast at f/2.0 of the 100MP is slightly better
- corner sharpness and microcontrast at f/5.6 of the 100MP is slightly better
- center sharpness at f/5.6 is nearly identical, maybe with the slight edge for the 100MP

This could either mean you got a bad copy of the 100MP or I got a bad copy of the 90AA. Since I have to send both Summilux lenses for MFD adjustment to Leica I will probably also send the 90AA to have it checked.

Boris, I think that corner crops from a closeup form a planar subject are not reliable at large apertures. A very slight deviation from the camera being perfectly perpendicular to the subject and the focus will be off.

Anyway, according to the specifications with two good copies of the 90 Cron AA and the 100 MP we should be seeing this (at infinity):

Red = 90 Cron, Black = 100 MP

Zeiss and Leica use the same equipment for measuring the lenses (a Zeiss K8) so they should be directly comparable.

What is most anomalous is IMO actually your 90 Cron f/5.6 shot. It doesn't look good and at this point the micro contrast that you see in a 100% crop should be mostly down to the sensor - where the M9 has a big advantage as there is no AA filter. According to the MTF charts the 90 Cron should significantly outperform the 100 MP @ f/5.6, especially in the 20 & 40 lp/mm frequencies.

Oct 31, 2011 at 05:01 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.393 #7 · p.393 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

The MTF charts are measured at/near infinity, I've tested at 2m, which is far from infinity. Therefore you can not directly compare my result with these MTF charts.
In addition between 15 and 20mm there is also a slight advantage at f/2.0 for the MP, even on this MTF chart.

Regarding the corner crops: I've used focus bracketing with the M9 and I've choosen the corner with best sharpness. But the difference between the worst corner of the image with the best center sharpness and the absolutely best corner was very small. Therefore we can assume that the camera was nearly perpendicular to the subject.
And I've not done this adjustment (choosing the best corner or lifeview-focus on the corner) with the 5DII. So the sharpest corner of the 100MP could even be sharpner compared to what I've shown.

Boris

Oct 31, 2011 at 05:21 PM
Ajay C
• • •
p.393 #8 · p.393 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks guys .

Edwin nice shots of your daughter. Pretty.
KL, it feels like it is warm in that first shot. Not getting the monsoon rains yet ?
Paul, its about time you contributed more to this thread, since you started this thread and don't post much

Engineers being interested in art is unusual in general I guess, but probably not so unusual for people interested in photography

One more please

Oct 31, 2011 at 05:29 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.393 #9 · p.393 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Luka, Edwin and LL, thanks guys
Edwin, beautiful portrait shots of your daughter!
Paul, nice set I really like #2. Yes we need to see more shots now
Martin, very nice evening shots, even with the difficult lighting. Having your lens coded would help immensely with in camera corrections. Also if you use C1 Pro, the LCC would help with both colour and vignetting if that is a concern.

Boris, just another question, are your comparisons from RAW files virtually unprocessed? I do find even though the M9 RAW files, do look superficially not as sharp, the detail and tonality is there, even in more depth than the 5DII files, but PP'ing is needed to fully expose the RAW files.

Engineers being interested in art and design, I think is essential component to balance out the left brain component

Oct 31, 2011 at 07:22 PM
NomadicTy

p.393 #10 · p.393 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Finally caught up reading and admiring all the pics after being away for a while. Some really excellent talent and photos here.

Thanks to the people in this thread, my future will not be as prosperous due to the gear that you guys are making me buy.

I got a chrome 50 Lux ASPH from Popflash a couple of weeks ago. I have been real busy with work, so all I have is a photo from my backyard, and a sort of failed attempt on a photowalk in little seaside town outside my city. I got down there too late, and I could only do handheld shots at night. So the shots may not be as sharp... But WOW! I may prefer 35mm fl, but the rendering and bokeh on this lens is just amazing!

From the garden:

Night shots, handheld:

I don't know if it's me, but I may need some help focusing this and my 90 cron Pre-ASPH. I have lasik-corrected eyesight, so I'm not sure if it's me. What's the best magnifier to use with the M9?

Also, my 50mm is chrome. It's almost as heavy as my 90 cron. My M9 is black, and I kind of think it looks funny to have a chrome lens. Those who have had both black and chrome 50 Lux ASPH's, is there an advantage to sticking with the chrome? I'm thinking about exchanging it with someone who has a black one. I'm not sure how easy that would be.

Oct 31, 2011 at 08:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NomadicTy

p.393 #11 · p.393 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks, Charles... *cough* one of the culprits *cough*

I've been trying to figure out what's the difference between a diopter and a magnifier. The descriptions sounds the same, but they look different. I always thought the diopters were for people with glasses. My eyesight is 20/20 if not better, so I do not wear glasses at all. But it would help me a lot focusing my 50 Lux and 90 cron if the focusing patch were a tad bit bigger. I wouldn't want the viewfinder magnified so much that I cannot see the 35mm (my favorite fl) frame lines, though. So for someone like me, what diopter strength should I get?

I'll check the focus accuracy soon. I've just been avoiding doing it. I figure if I don't check it, there is no problem. hehe... I'm just hoping I don't have to send my M9 nor the lenses to NJ, or that they will be knocked into perfect alignment by accident.

Oct 31, 2011 at 09:07 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.393 #12 · p.393 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Yes, resistance is futile I have also vision with very high visual acuity, that is being able to see detail better than average. Still the standard diopter (magnification) on the M9 -0.5, which does not work for me at all. I tried +0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0, and found the +1.0, gave the detail and acuity I needed to focus accurately, yet see everything I need to compose the shot.

I mentioned in the previous post about PhiMatrix program, for overlay composition, here is a link to the

" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">PhiMatrix Youtube
on how the overlays relates to some award winning shots. Interesting viewing

Oct 31, 2011 at 09:17 PM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.393 #13 · p.393 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ty - Congrats on an awesome lens, i like #3 of your set..
Charles - Fantastic, as usual. Do you find yourself using the 24 lux more than the 28 cron now? :d

Happy Halloween all (Noct .95 wide open) --

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.393 #14 · p.393 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

LL, thanks Yes, for travel, if I am going to take one lens, it will be the 24 Lux over the 28 Cron. Both are superb lenses. Great Halloween shots!! Fav here is #3.

Nov 01, 2011 at 12:12 AM
lovinglife
• • • •
p.393 #15 · p.393 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
LL, thanks Great Halloween shots!! Fav here is #3.

Thanks Charles!
Yeah the 24 lux is a heck of a lens
i'm trying to imagine a 28mm version of it!

Nov 01, 2011 at 12:28 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.393 #16 · p.393 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

ocean2059 wrote:
Makten, is your 28 Cron coded? I found that with the lens coded and UV/IR filter, it performs beautifully in every respect.

Nope, I'm not paying 200 Euros for that, so I use Cornerfix. It means that I can correct the cyan shift without correcting vignetting, which I don't want to do. I also don't use an UV/IR filter.

Nov 01, 2011 at 02:14 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.393 #17 · p.393 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
Boris, just another question, are your comparisons from RAW files virtually unprocessed? I do find even though the M9 RAW files, do look superficially not as sharp, the detail and tonality is there, even in more depth than the 5DII files, but PP'ing is needed to fully expose the RAW files.

Charles, the M9 and 5D files had the same PP in LR: contrast 50, manual WB, sharpness 50/0.7/100/0.

Boris

Nov 01, 2011 at 02:20 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.393 #18 · p.393 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

NomadicTy:
I also have Lasic-corrected eyes. It has been exactly ten years ago so natural causes have started to come into effect and I have just started to wear glasses again, though they have a very slight correction.

If you have a camera shop where you can try diopters you might want to try a few different ones, even with glasses on I find I slight diopters correction enhances the rangefinder patch. YMMV of course.

Boris: did you apply the same sharpness correction for both lenses though the images origin from different cameras? Perhaps a sharpening based on camera/lens combo is more telling than applying the same correction for both combinations. Just a thought, I am not saying that you are wrong.

/ Henrik

Nov 01, 2011 at 02:47 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.393 #19 · p.393 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

kosmoskatten wrote:
Boris: did you apply the same sharpness correction for both lenses though the images origin from different cameras? Perhaps a sharpening based on camera/lens combo is more telling than applying the same correction for both combinations. Just a thought, I am not saying that you are wrong.

/ Henrik

Henrik, you are right, but since the M9 has no AA filter I would expect that you need rather less sharpening in PP with this camera and not more. And this would probably lead to even bigger differences between the images shot with the two cameras/lenses.

Boris

Nov 01, 2011 at 02:58 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.393 #20 · p.393 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Yep, that would probably be true. ( I write probably in case someone with more in depth knowledge will fall down on that statement like a hammer ... )

Did you focus bracket the 90/2? It seems it should have a little more bite.

One thing that I found odd was that the Ricoh GXR M module (with no AA filter) required a lot more sharpening than the old 5D and any other digital camera I owned. I have revisited the files and I can extract more out of them than I previously did. Still, they lack a little bite from the get-go and I am disappointed that I have to work the images even more than with the 5D. With the M9, sharpening is a breeze, same with the A900. I haven't tried the 5DII though.

/ Henrik

Nov 01, 2011 at 03:07 AM
1       2       3              392      
       394              2354       2355       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              392      
       394              2354       2355       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.