Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              307      
       309              1019       1020       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.308 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron and Malkovic, thanks
Ron, excellent set of very interesting textures and shapes! I love the PP
Malkovic, very nice set!
Ryan, excellent set! I really like how the 50 Cron renders
Heinz, very nice shots!
Luka, really nice set! Beautiful rendering My favourite is #4.
Although film is not my choice, it fantastic how in this thread we can have both, digital and film, using some really great lenses!!!

May 30, 2011 at 09:32 PM
Morfeus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.308 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Malkovich, thank you Charles.

Luka, you just proved that I don't like Portra at all (except for portraits, where it really shines), but your Ektar shots are very nice. Can't wait for your Velvia shots (I hope it was Velvia 50). Would you mind sharing which lenses you used for the set above?

Charles, I agree, nice to have film and digital side by side here, all united by the M cameras. I really start to love my M2, it is just the perfect tool.

May 30, 2011 at 09:45 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.308 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Charles, Heinz

Charles, unless you really have access to a top end drum scanner I really think that modern Leica glass is a complete overkill for 135 film. The image quality you can get out of small format using a reasonably priced scanner is in terms of resolution essentially inferior to what you get with a modern mobile phone camera. So as I see it the there are only two reasons to use film today 1) because you like the film look 2) because you like the tools.

I fall squarely in the second category. The M6 is attractive to me because it's mechanical operation and form factor is nicer than the one of the M9. I got my Pentax 67 because there are no 6x7 digital cameras and I wanted to try medium format. If the M10 will be more like the M6 then the latter will be of no use to me and the Pentax 67 will equally be uninteresting after there is a proper digital alternative.

I'm of course only speaking for myself - I know there are plenty of people that like the look they get from film. I really don't. I much prefer the colors and resolution that I can get from digital.

Heinz, I don't particularly like Portra either, but I can't claim that I'm over the moon about the Ektar. I'm hoping the Velvia (yes it's Velvia 50) will be more to my taste. Otherwise I suppose I'll stick to B/W and use the M6 for only documentary type of shots (i.e what the general public use P&S cameras for). Tri-X 400 and image quality be damned

I wouldn't mind sharing which lenses I used if i knew! As I changed lenses all the time, I have no clue. #1, #2 & #3 are all 28 Cron, I think. The wabbit shot is the 90 Cron. There is probably at least one or two 50 Lux ASPH shots.

If not Portra 400, what other options are there for higher ISO color film? Also, I'm curious - the M2 doesn't have a built in meter, right? What do you use for metering?

May 30, 2011 at 10:38 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.308 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Luka nice job with the M6! My favorites are the Ektar shots, particularly #3 in both sets. Is this a new location for you? I don't recall seeing shots from this area. Frankly, I'm a film virgin. From what I have seen film can retain highlights much better than digital....is that correct? While I do like the system I must say I like the look of film in certain shots, especially B/W.

May 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.308 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Ryan.

No, it's one of my usual routes - it's at the construction site that I frequent. If you develop the negs yourself and scan them yourself then you have more latitude in the exposure. Slide film on the other hand is very finicky about exposure - even missing with a third of a stop can be problematic in the highlights.

The general principle is that you expose negative film to preserve shadows and slide film to preserve highlights.

May 30, 2011 at 10:58 PM
Morfeus
• • •
p.308 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Luka, I use a Leicameter mounted on the M2 if I am lazy, that makes the M2 really ugly and you will not like that esthetically, I am sure. If I am not lazy I use a Gossen Variosix.

Edit: I had the Leicameter calibrated (together with a colimator check of my lenses) some days ago and it is spot on.

For higher ISO films I have limited recent experience, but I liked the Fuji Provia 400X a lot, but I have only used that one with the Rolleiflex T (medium format). The Provia 400X is somehow similar to the Velvia 50 and has extremely fine grain for being 400 ASA.

Please keep the images coming, it is good for me to see how modern lenses render on film.

Ryan, yes, this is correct. The dynamic range is amazing.

Heinz

May 30, 2011 at 11:08 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.308 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Luka - The last time I shot film, about 8 years ago, I really liked the Fuji 800 color negative films. The 'press' film, for newspaper/general use, was very nice compared to the K0dak equivalent. The NPH version was a bit gentler for wedding/portrait use. Not sure if any of that is still available. At the time those films, particularly NPH, were priced at a premium.

I have limited experience with mini-lab scans but my recollection is that they were often quite high in contrast. And your images are quite high in contrast... but still very nice.

I particularly like 3-5 of the first set and 1& 2 of the second set.

Before I read your posts on this page I was wondering why you'd bother to shoot film for this type of subject when the M9 will provide ample image quality and greater convenience. While there are differences in the look of film and digital, my opinion is that one can get pretty close to the 35mm film look with appropriate PP to digital files. The one area, which I might have mentioned in the past, where I feel film has an advantage is in highlight transitions. Sunsets are a good example where digital has trouble handling the very bright tones around the sun (unless grossly underexposed), but film usually looks great.

Some digital examples - I don't shoot film, therefore can't show any film examples:

Tonal recovery into the sunburst area resulted in poor transitions because at least one channel is already clipped.
Same with the image below:

Some extra work in Photoshop managed to salvage this to some extent:

M9 & ZM21 at Lake Geneva.

Ryan, nice images. Wow, hope you like the 50 Planar. I certainly do, but haven't used anything else on the M9 around 50mm to compare. I'll be interested in your feedback.

One thing I have recently noticed is that of the three Zeiss lenses I own (ZM21 2.8, ZM35C and the 50P), the 50 is the most prone to flare. While the ZM21 will flare with the sun out of the frame, as I illustrated recently for Kyle, the 50 will flare with a bright background (not necessarily specular in nature) out of the frame, often in the following manner:

Note that the sun had already set and this was just twilight glow in the western sky that caused the flare. Therefore I highly recommend using a hood with the 50P with any kind of stronger backlight. I didn't buy the hood for the 50P and am now reconsidering. I might instead adapt the hood that came with the CV75 1.8, which I've tried hand held, and it works. Other than the cost of a step ring, it will save me about $80..

Here's another image - it's a light test outtake from a recent event. I had a strobe off to each side at the stage to give some side light for edge separation of dark clothes against the black curtain. At certain angles to the light (both of which were bounced off white walls) just out of the frame, the 50P would flare:

Hope this helps.

Heinz - interesting mannequin composition!
Malkovic - love the image of the figures on the steps!

May 31, 2011 at 12:56 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.308 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron - thanks for the valuable information and those sunset pics are great!

May 31, 2011 at 01:42 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.308 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments, Charles, Ron, Malkovic, Phil, Ryan

Phil, while you are collecting 35mm lenses, be sure to check out the 35Lux ASPH and possibly the CV Nokton 35/1.2

Ron, very nice shots on both sets! Love the first shot with the diagonals and texture on set #1. #1 on set 2 is superb. Really nice shot!! I think wedding or portrait photographers will love the flare on the ZM50 Planar . BTW, the shots I posted with the surveillance cameras were from NYC. I haven't really noticed too many cameras on poles in Boston.

Malkovic, very nice set. All very nice. Were you trying to check corner resolution of your 50Cron with the brick shot?

Ryan, another excellent set. #1 looked like it wasn't wide open? I like the composition on #2 a lot, really nice sense of balance to it. Those 50CronV3 shots are great. Really sharp looking for a 40 year old lens. The colors and rendering are also beautiful

Heinz, nice shots with the 90 Elmar! Nice self portrait on #2

Luka, wow!! Excellent set throughout! I like all of them. Initially, when I looked at #1 on the first set , I thought it was somewhat digital. Likewise #1 on the 2nd set. I love the saturated colors and sharpness you are getting out of the Ektar film. Not sure what pp you did (if any), but these are some of the sharpest Ektar shots I've seen posted anywhere. I think Ektar 100 suits your shooting style for C41 film. You might want to stay away from Portra 400 or other ISO 400 film for 135 if you are not shooting people or candid pics. Probably too much grain and noise for what you typically shoot. Can't wait to see your Velvia 50 shots.

-------
Some pics from this afternoon (its a holiday in US today). Decided to go light and brought along the M9 and 50Lux ASPH only.

Edited on May 31, 2011 at 02:17 AM · View previous versions

May 31, 2011 at 01:50 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.308 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Morfeus wrote:
..... it is good for me to see how modern lenses render on film.

Heinz

Heinz, the newer modern ASPH lenses render superbly on film. I never thought that there will be that much difference compared to my older Leica glass, but even on low resolution scans, I can clearly see the difference in sharpness and contrast.

May 31, 2011 at 01:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NikkorAIS
• • •
Account locked
p.308 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Love the film shots, It's funny "I" got run off this thread for posting film with Leica M. Now it's okay .

50 1.0 Noctilux

35 1.4 Summilux

12mm 5.6 ASPH

50 1.0 Noctilux

28 1.9 ASPH

Gregory

May 31, 2011 at 02:25 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.308 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Malkovic very nice love this shot

Luka Really liking the Porta 400 samples excellent

Very nice samples Ron!

Joe really liking no. 2 allot! The guy looks like he works for wall street!

Really Gregory really liking the first 4 shots, that man in the diner was great

Phil

Zeiss Biogon 35 2f

colored version of recent post

M9 Digital Camera    35mm    1/750s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

M9 Digital Camera    35mm    f/2.4    1/90s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 31, 2011 at 02:26 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.308 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wow Phil, that's a really nice, delicate image (of the old house).
I think I like the tire better in color. Seems to have more depth to it. Might be the processing to some degree, but it looks very nice.

Great set Gregory! Love the man peering out of the window of (what appears to be) a fast food joint. Is that his shopping cart?
Were you run off this thread? Whatever the case, I'm glad you're back, even if it meant having to buy an M9
BTW, are you still shooting much film alongside the M9?

Very nice images Joe, especially the stairs. Thanks for the clarification on the location of those previous images. Wasn't sure if you were still posting NYC or if you were back to Boston.

Gary: Thanks. I still mean to post some photos of the MEC bag for you. Will hopefully do that soon.

Twilight - Lake Geneva - somewhere near Veytaux-Chillon, east of Montreux

M9 & ZM35C

May 31, 2011 at 03:03 AM
Morfeus
• • •
p.308 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Ron. Interesting examples how the P flares.

Joe, i recently bought a CV Nokton 50/1.5 ASPH and I can't wait to see the results on film and see how different that will render compared to my other 2 lenses, which are 50 years old.

Very nice b/w shots btw, I like the second and the last the best.

Heinz

May 31, 2011 at 05:34 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.308 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, the sunset pictures are very nice! Thanks for comparisons. Love that last shot in Geneva
Joe, excellent shots!! Love #1 and 2, particularly the expression on the guy in #2
Gregory, very nice set!
Phil, love that shot of old house

Bangkok street shots re PP'd with the 50 Lux Asph

Edited on May 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM · View previous versions

May 31, 2011 at 05:50 AM
Malkovic
• •
p.308 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

jojomon11: Thanks! I'm not sure about the stair, all I know is that it some kind of commie memorial thingy I like your shots!

Luka: I like your sets, def. have to try some Ektar 100. Regarding metering I mostly use Sunny 16, overexpose a bit(if it's neg. film) it gives decent results I think. When I first got my M2 I used my iPhone with an app that let me spotmeter, which worked surprisingly good

Joe: Love your set! The one with the stair and the shiny rail is outstanding. Excellent conversions as well!

Ron: Great shots!

May 31, 2011 at 05:55 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.308 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe - nice set posted. Great pp as always. The one with the stairs is definitely my favorite. The expression of the man in #2 is priceless

Gregory - nice set Gregory. My favorite is the first. Great composition on that shot.

Phil - Interesting PP on the first shot, very unique look. I agree with Ron that #2 looks better in color. Really pops

Ron - Nice examples that I wouldn't mind seeing again....and again . I love those water shots with the sunset. Very nice feel to them

Charles - Awesome portraits again. #1 is excellent. It's funny how some say this lens is way too sharp for portraits, I don't think so at all. I think it renders so perfectly for portraits and if you don't want it that sharp just pull the clarity back a bit on that area. Great look to these

More 50 Cron shots.....very nice lens. Not optimized for close distance but anything past about 3-4m this lens is excellent

May 31, 2011 at 12:35 PM
Morfeus
• • •
p.308 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles, simply breathtaking portraits! Wallhangers, both of them. I am impressed.

Would you like to share your new PP a bit more in detail?

Heinz

May 31, 2011 at 02:06 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.308 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Phil, Ron, Heinz, Charles, Malkovic, Ryan

Gregory, another very nice set!

Phil, very nice look to the color version of the house.

Ron, nice sunset shot by the lake.

Heinz, congrats on the CV 50/1.5! Its a lovely lens, somewhat moderate in contrast but very sharp and smooth! I had one but only sold it because my 50 Lux ASPH arrived. Share some pics soon.

Charles, #1 is super! Really nice. Very classic looking tones to go with!

Ryan, excellent set!! I like the "busy" bokeh look of the 50Cron a lot. Think this lens is a keeper

-----
Sample 100% crop of the 50Lux ASPH from yesterday. Its not my most used focal length, but the combination of the M9 and 50Lux produces IQ par excellence. I was shooting straight into harsh light and details are intact and it suppresses flare really well.

May 31, 2011 at 02:36 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.308 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe - thanks. Isn't that 50 Lux/M9 set amazing. Look at that detail, wow. I can almost count the hairs on Rico's chest

As far as the 50 Cron - yes, its a keeper . Here is another bokeh ball shot

May 31, 2011 at 03:01 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password