New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2010 · 24-105 barrel creep

stevek65
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24-105 barrel creep

How many of you have barrel creep on your lenses and what can you do to fix it? Does this bother any of you?

Jun 19, 2010 at 01:33 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24-105 barrel creep

stevek65 wrote:
How many of you have barrel creep on your lenses and what can you do to fix it? Does this bother any of you?

Depends on the lens. My 24-70 doesn't do it. This off-brand 70-300 I owned did when it was pointed down.

Minor nuisance that didn't bother me enough to worry about it. My 24-70 before it came back from Canon (on a completely unrelated issue) even had some lens "worble" I'll call it (like when zoomed out I could move it a little).

if it's rapid when you point it down like it goes from 105 to 24 WHACK, send it in. If it's just minor creep, don't sweat it.

Jun 19, 2010 at 01:37 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24-105 barrel creep

My 24-105L has not developed any type of lens creep...now if you want to see a "creep" of a lens look no further than the 28-135 IS...That one over time could nearly be considered a T&S lens!!!

Jun 19, 2010 at 03:11 PM
fazz33
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24-105 barrel creep

My 24-105 creeps a good bit. Doesn't bother me tho so I haven't tried to fix it.

Jun 19, 2010 at 03:13 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24-105 barrel creep

So far, lucky on 24-105. But even if it did, it's a keeper for me.

Jun 19, 2010 at 03:26 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24-105 barrel creep

Mine does when mounted to the 50D and the lens points downwards; on my 1Ds it stays put. No big deal though IMO...

Jun 19, 2010 at 03:32 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24-105 barrel creep

It happens on my 24-105. It usually isn't an issue, but once I was shooting a long exposure with the camera pointed straight up and it was a major issue. I don't know what is involved in fixing it.

Jun 19, 2010 at 03:37 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24-105 barrel creep

gdanmitchell wrote:
It happens on my 24-105. It usually isn't an issue, but once I was shooting a long exposure with the camera pointed straight up and it was a major issue. I don't know what is involved in fixing it.

Tape?

No, seriously, it probably would fix it in your case.

Jun 19, 2010 at 03:54 PM
fazz33
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24-105 barrel creep

Tape would usually do the trick (it did when I had a 75-150mm series E nikon lens) but the 24-105mm is weather sealed wouldn't the rubber seals provide too much friction?

Jun 19, 2010 at 04:03 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24-105 barrel creep

If it really bothers you THAT much, here's the fix: Peel back the rubber focusing ring and rotate the ring until three (or four) little screws line-up with the access hole on the ring. Those little screws tighten or loosen little teflon spacers that control the 'barrel creep'. If you tighten them (very, very slightly), you should eliminate your barrel creep. Remember, 'less is more' when adjusting the tension on the barrel.

HTH,

Jun 19, 2010 at 04:11 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24-105 barrel creep

My 4 year old 24-105L is still firm and creepless in normal operation. I suppose if I needed to shot straight up with a tripod (star trails) any zoom would drift. That's why all true photogs carry duct tape! Although I normally use a prime for star trails. On the other hand, my old 28-135 IS was loose as a goose and zoomed just by looking at it sideways...

Jun 19, 2010 at 04:16 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 24-105 barrel creep

Gaffer tape, not duct tape -- can be reused and leaves no residue.

Jun 20, 2010 at 03:43 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 24-105 barrel creep

No lens creep with my copy.

Jun 20, 2010 at 07:00 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 24-105 barrel creep

omarlyn wrote:
If it really bothers you THAT much, here's the fix: Peel back the rubber focusing ring and rotate the ring until three (or four) little screws line-up with the access hole on the ring. Those little screws tighten or loosen little teflon spacers that control the 'barrel creep'. If you tighten them (very, very slightly), you should eliminate your barrel creep. Remember, 'less is more' when adjusting the tension on the barrel.

HTH,

It normally, as I think I wrote, doesn't bother me "that much" - but this looks like it would be worth trying.

I'd classify "creep" as a "minor annoyance" in my case, but I wouldn't might reducing it a bit!

Thanks,

Dan

Jun 20, 2010 at 08:50 AM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 24-105 barrel creep

Mine creeped. It drove me nuts! I did not feel like doing the "peel back" myself, so I sent it in to Canon (NJ).

Cost - $120. They totally fixed the creep. In addition to fixing the creep they said "Checked all, adjusted center/tilt/front, back focus & cleaned all factory specs." When I got it back it was WAY off focus (required +10 adjustment). Sent it back in and they fixed it for free.

Jim

Jun 20, 2010 at 08:56 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 24-105 barrel creep

omarlyn wrote:

HTH,

Hey upside down, I remember looking for these on my 24-70, and I couldn't find thme by taking off the focusing ring. Is it different on some lenses? I'm not anxious to figure it out, but curious.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 24-105 barrel creep

omarlyn wrote:

HTH,

RobertLynn wrote:
Hey upside down, I remember looking for these on my 24-70, and I couldn't find thme by taking off the focusing ring. Is it different on some lenses? I'm not anxious to figure it out, but curious.

Hey Robert...Let me clarify the procedure on the 24-105; Once you peel back the rubber focusing ring, there is a single (one) access hole on the exposed focusing collar. You have to turn the collar and line-up the adjustment screws one at a time. I'm not 100% that the 24-70 is the same but I'm pretty sure it is. Maybe you missed the access hole on the collar because there's only one hole and you might have been looking for three or four access holes. I know the first time I looked for it on the 24-205 I missed it too. I had to take a second look before I spotted the access hole and realized that I had to turn it to each adjustment screw one at a time.

HTH,
Omar

Jun 20, 2010 at 03:54 PM
cmaeda

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 24-105 barrel creep

omarlyn: Thanks for the fix! I was a bit afraid at first, but the fix was very simple and easy to do! No creep at all now!

Jun 21, 2010 at 03:36 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 24-105 barrel creep

No creep on my 24-70L and 24-105L (yet).

Jun 21, 2010 at 04:18 AM
SteveTuerk
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 24-105 barrel creep

omarlyn wrote:

HTH,

Good fix, Thanks.
Mine doesn't creep yet but like any mechanical tube-within-tube type device it will eventually loosen, I'm sure. I've logged the existence of this adjustment into brain storage (prob'ly better get it on disc).

Jun 21, 2010 at 07:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.