Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2010 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Andi Dietrich
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

http://photoscala.de/Artikel/Distagon-T-2825-ZF2-fuer-F-Bajonett

Nachtrag (9.6.2010; 17:20 Uhr): Hinweis zur Klärung: Bei dem jetzt vorgestellten Distagon T* 2,8/25 handelt es sich um die bereits bekannte Rechnung des 25er Distagon; neu ist allein die ZF.2-Fassung. Die im November 2009 anlässlich der Vorstellung der ZF.2-Varianten angekündigte „grundlegende Überarbeitung und Optimierung“ des Distagon T* 2,8/25 ist in Arbeit; das neue Objektiv wird aber erst später kommen. Wann genau, das konnte Carl Zeiss noch nicht sagen.

in shorts
the new is the same as the old, the announced new design is under construction and will hit the shelf sometime in the future.

As we can see the genius and superiority of Zeiss is even obvious in their PR Departement. They announce a better lens, but for know you already can buy the old garbage.

Maybe the customer can send in his old ZF as scrap metal for recycling?
PS: Sarcasm alert

Jun 15, 2010 at 03:34 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Or in other words, "Don't hold your breath." ;-)

Andi Dietrich wrote:
http://photoscala.de/Artikel/Distagon-T-2825-ZF2-fuer-F-Bajonett

Nachtrag (9.6.2010; 17:20 Uhr): Hinweis zur Klärung: Bei dem jetzt vorgestellten Distagon T* 2,8/25 handelt es sich um die bereits bekannte Rechnung des 25er Distagon; neu ist allein die ZF.2-Fassung. Die im November 2009 anlässlich der Vorstellung der ZF.2-Varianten angekündigte „grundlegende Überarbeitung und Optimierung“ des Distagon T* 2,8/25 ist in Arbeit; das neue Objektiv wird aber erst später kommen. Wann genau, das konnte Carl Zeiss noch nicht sagen.

Jun 15, 2010 at 06:12 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Sam tran wrote:
I bet we won't have to wait too long for the ZE 25mm version. I borrowed the 35/f2 last week and compared with 16-35 MK II, the ZE 35/2 has CA all over f-stops, and reading many user reviews confirmed it, I hope the ZE 25mm will get rid off it. Otherwise, beside the 3D look and color rendered, I rather stay with my 16-35 MK II and wait for a better 25mm ZE.

Strange story. There is certainly something wrong here. My ZF 35/2 only shows a little CA wide open (and on 2.8) when I am using it in very high contrast situations. On other apertures I never saw any CA.

I am interested in the "many user reviews" that confirmed it. I can't find these reviews and I am reading on many forums.

Jun 15, 2010 at 08:43 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

wiseguy010 wrote:
Strange story. There is certainly something wrong here. My ZF 35/2 only shows a little CA wide open (and on 2.8) when I am using it in very high contrast situations. On other apertures I never saw any CA.

This is also my experience with the ZF 35/2 Only a touch of CA wide open in high contrast situations and really haven't seen any at other apertures.

"CA all over f-stops", in my experience, is not characteristic of the ZF 35/2. Far from it.

Jun 15, 2010 at 09:03 PM
Sam tran
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Check out this review from FM and see how many mentioned "CA" or similar comments... Did I mentioned the ZE 35/2 (not the ZF) ? It could be I had a "bad luck" copy, but others too?

Jun 15, 2010 at 09:16 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Lotusm50 wrote:
This is also my experience with the ZF 35/2 Only a touch of CA wide open in high contrast situations and really haven't seen any at other apertures.

"CA all over f-stops", in my experience, is not characteristic of the ZF 35/2. Far from it.

The lens has lateral chromatic aberration, which does not depend on the aperture stop. If anything, it becomes more clearly visible when you stop down the lens as other aberrations and vignetting are reduced. Whether the CA is only a touch or more than that depends on the eyes of the beholder--and the scenery.

Jun 15, 2010 at 09:47 PM
Andi Dietrich
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

I can get rid of most colour fringes by lateral colour of the ZF 18 by setting the noise reduction slider to 20 in DPP. I doubt that the 25 or 35 have that much lateral CA though.

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:12 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

I think Zeiss should forget the 25/2.8 and design a new 28/1.4 with floating element and aspherical element similar to the old C/Y 35/1.4 design. I would think that Zeiss would sell a lot more 28/1.4's than 25/2.8's.
How cool it would be if Zeiss announced both a new Z* 35/1.4 and a new Z* 28/1.4 for next year.

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Andi Dietrich
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

also another observation: dont use Canon landscape mode, it will increase fringes, neutral or natural modes will give better results

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Andi Dietrich wrote:
also another observation: dont use Canon landscape mode, it will increase fringes, neutral or natural modes will give better results

That only matters if you are shooting jpg or maybe raw and processing with DPP.
I use neutral anyway for histogram reasons.

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Sam tran wrote:
Check out this review from FM and see how many mentioned "CA" or similar comments... Did I mentioned the ZE 35/2 (not the ZF) ? It could be I had a "bad luck" copy, but others too?

A few mentioned CA, but usually with "slight", or "faint trace of", or similar modifying words with it. Completely consistent with what I have noticed. One said "quite a lot" of CA in the corners. But this is something I have not noticed. No manifestation of CA with this lens would I consider to be "quite a lot", even in harsh conditions. Certainly, the ZF/ZE 35 is by no means "bad" with respect to CA performance. In fact, it is probably better than most 35mm primes in this area. Even the one or 2 reviews there that could be considered critical of its CA performance, still consider it to be excellent, exceptional for the price, and unmatched by its competitors.

Maybe you got a bad copy, or maybe you naturally speak in hyperbole, I don't know. I can't see what you are seeing. In my use of the ZF 35/2, CA has never been an issue, a problem, or a concern. It has always performed well, certainly relative to other 35mm primes, in this area.

I don't use "landscape mode" in DPP, so maybe that helps with what I'm seeing.

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:50 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

How "serious" the CA the 35 f:2 has is an individual matter, as Toothwalker writes, but Sam Tran indicated that the copy he tried compared poorly to his 16-35 f:2.8, a zoom which is not exactly devoid of CA. Where I lose the plot is when he refers to the "many reviews" that object to CA with the 35/2.

Jun 16, 2010 at 05:24 AM
Sam tran
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

It's so funny that people takes my word so seriously. It was just my own opinion, nothing else. It doesn't mean that what I said implied your choice of lens is poor, "following the mass", etc...Hey, even I went Zeiss-crazy with the mass too, that why I wanted to find out how good/bad it is; and to compare a Zeiss prime to a Canon's zoom it's like apple vs orange, but that what I have, and because I assumed a prime would - by default - better than a zoom, especially from a Zeiss. However, may be due to a bad copy, I saw CA in many f/stops on Zeiss 35/2.
Perhaps, if I throw in this phrase "the 16-35 II's IQ look more 'organic' than the Zeiss... I bet quite a few would wanted to crucify me instantly...

Jun 16, 2010 at 05:04 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Sam tran,

Can you post some example shots with the CA?
Then we could probably determine if you have a bad copy or not.

Jun 16, 2010 at 06:21 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Sam tran wrote:
Perhaps, if I throw in this phrase "the 16-35 II's IQ look more 'organic' than the Zeiss... I bet quite a few would wanted to crucify me instantly...

Well, if you want to discuss the issue or "organic", let me recommend, the following thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/908440
11 pages worth of discussion as to whether the 5D mkll is less organic/more digital looking than the original 5D.

Just more subjectivity. With things like this people see what they want to see. particularly as there is no reference by which to judge. Add to this that people apply different connotations to words, use them with different intent or degree of meaning, and you have a discussion where you get nowhere really fast. The discussion here about the 35/2's CA is similar, as there is no objective standard used by which to assess, just subjectivity compounded by verbal imprecision.

Jun 16, 2010 at 09:42 PM
Sam tran
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Here are 2 samples from last week:

1) 35/f2.2

2) 35/f5.6
Image 443117 not found

Image 443118 not found

Image 443119 not found

Image 443120 not found

Jun 17, 2010 at 01:08 AM
Sam tran
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Well, if you want to discuss the issue or "organic", let me recommend, the following thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/908440 11 pages worth of discussion as to whether the 5D mkll is less organic/more digital looking than the original 5D. Just more subjectivity. With things like this people see what they want to see. particularly as there is no reference by which to judge. Add to this that people apply different connotations to words, use them with different intent or degree of meaning, and you have a discussion where you get nowhere really fast. The discussion here about the 35/2's CA is similar, as...Show more

Quite agree with you there, it's just like some typical film-people said a similar thing to digital-people just a decade or so ago, or perhaps - even the film-people arguing that BW was more "art" than color film and they forgot about "different stroke for different folks". You said tomato, I said tomatoes, etc...It's why I said there will be never peace on earth, because those kind of silly arguments will never end or stop.

Jun 17, 2010 at 01:22 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Sam,

As far as I'm concerned, the LoCA you're showing is negligible.

On a side note, someone mentioned that Landscape style shows more CA and I find that true. It's all about contrast and color saturation. Two lenses with similar CA correction will show different levels depending on the lens contrast and saturation levels. Zeiss lenses, while admittedly somehow less corrected for CA than others show higher levels because of their inherent high contrast. Increase contrast in PP and you'll see more CA (and more noise). Increase saturation and you'll get even more.

Jun 17, 2010 at 07:22 AM
RickPerry
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

Further clarification from Zeiss:

Dear Rick,

Probably I got your question wrong in the first place.

The Distagon T* 2,8/25 ZF.2 we announced is comparable to the exisiting ZF version, plus the ZF.2 functionality (CPU etc.). We decided to offer the T* 2,8/25 also as a ZF.2 version as it enjoys great popularity among our customers.

Independendly from this we are still re-working the lens design as we mentioned in the announcement back in November 2009. The new lens design will be different concerning performance and price. Unfortunately I cannot tell you the exact date of availability yet.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards from Oberkochen

--- Martin

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:53 AM
AbramG
• • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Zeiss 25mm ZF.2 announced

I've been wondering if this was going to arrive on ZE mount but it looks like it could be a while? I'm planning on getting the ZE 85 hopefully soon and I was going to plan on the Canon 24L II if the ZE 25 never arrives or is only f/2.8

Jun 18, 2010 at 05:19 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password