Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
  

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2010 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon
  
 
KKapple
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Been editing some of my past work to send off.
This is Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon.
Unfortunately, this formation was destroyed in 2006 and is not longer with us.
Serves as a reminder to all to be careful around the fragile rock formations we all are around when out photographing natures splendor.




Feb 13, 2010 at 06:33 AM
alichty
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Wow - where in the world was that and what happened to it?

Pretty neat shot Keith.

Alan



Feb 13, 2010 at 06:43 AM
Tim ONeill
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


I had no Idea this was gone. I remember talking to Dave Fantle about it, and finding out to my dismay that it was on a utility road in the Utah back country. Amazing formation, but looks more like dried mud than sandstone. Pretty cool shot with the moon in it.


Feb 13, 2010 at 06:45 AM
KKapple
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Thanks Alan,

This is in the north eastern corner of Utah near Vernal. Don't really know if it was vandalized by carelessness or errosion finally did it in. The reports I have read say that when the BLM attendants went to check on it, they saw footprints around the base of it.



Feb 13, 2010 at 06:45 AM
tkr2099
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Looks a lot different color than Michael Fatali's version (much more natural I'm assuming) Awesome shot though, this formation intrigued me from the first time I saw it. Shame it's gone, it makes one wonder what elaborate, delicate formations existed before man.


Feb 13, 2010 at 06:47 AM
philtax
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Glad you were able to capture this while it was with us. I really like the way the color of the sky sets it off, and the hint of moon adds a delicate touch.

Phil



Feb 13, 2010 at 06:51 AM
KKapple
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Tim ONeill wrote:
I had no Idea this was gone. I remember talking to Dave Fantle about it, and finding out to my dismay that it was on a utility road in the Utah back country. Amazing formation, but looks more like dried mud than sandstone. Pretty cool shot with the moon in it.



It's was a tricky place to find. I had gps coordinates to it. And still had a hard time getting there.

I came in from the east through Colorado. I took the first dirt road when I though it was due east as the crow files. Not a wise choice. It was a make shift dirt road they made to lay a gas line. The soil was like talcum powder and I had to cross a creek three times. A two foot drop off into the creek each time. Me and my wisdom decided to just gun it and I went flying into the creek each time in the Trooper. If I stopped to judge my approach, I would get stuck in the soil. If I did not hit the water right, I would get stuck. And it was at least 30 miles from anyone...

I finally made it to a maze of dead end dirt roads that ended at gas wells. Took me an hour just to get through that as well. But I made it in time for sunset...lol

This was one of my solo trips in Utah for two weeks at a time. I think this was trip #3 when I was there.



Feb 13, 2010 at 06:54 AM
KKapple
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


tkr2099 wrote:
Looks a lot different color than Michael Fatali's version (much more natural I'm assuming) Awesome shot though, this formation intrigued me from the first time I saw it. Shame it's gone, it makes one wonder what elaborate, delicate formations existed before man.



There is absolutely no color there at all.
Looks like a true moon scape of shades of grey.



Feb 13, 2010 at 07:00 AM
KKapple
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


philtax wrote:
Glad you were able to capture this while it was with us. I really like the way the color of the sky sets it off, and the hint of moon adds a delicate touch.

Phil



Thanks Phil, wish it was still around. I am so glad I shot this on film as well. Can never go back for a reshoot.



Feb 13, 2010 at 07:02 AM
tkr2099
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


KKapple wrote:
There is absolutely no color there at all.
Looks like a true moon scape of shades of grey.


I remember there was a lot of controversy over both the color and the positioning of the moon in his shot:

http://www.fatali.com/gallery/newdetails.php?id=75

What do you think, having been there? Would that shot have been possible or is it a composite?



Feb 13, 2010 at 07:06 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


KKapple
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


tkr2099 wrote:
I remember there was a lot of controversy over both the color and the positioning of the moon in his shot:

http://www.fatali.com/gallery/newdetails.php?id=75

What do you think, having been there? Would that shot have been possible or is it a composite?


Its a composite.
I placed the moon in my shot as well.
You are facing due north photographing the rock, and the moon would never be anywhere near your point of view.



Feb 13, 2010 at 07:13 AM
KKapple
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Here is another image showing the color around 4pm




Feb 13, 2010 at 07:24 AM
DonH
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


What?? Fatali manipulates He would NEVER admit it.

Nice shot, Keith. I know right where it was located but, unfortunately, never got there.



Feb 13, 2010 at 08:26 AM
David Leask
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Thanks for preserving this one Keith. Very sad that it's no longer available to view and capture now.
David



Feb 13, 2010 at 08:43 AM
bshamilton
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Wicked, otherworldly formations. A shame it is lost, so kudos for sharing this.

Barry



Feb 13, 2010 at 01:52 PM
DJoy
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


tkr2099 wrote:
I remember there was a lot of controversy over both the color and the positioning of the moon in his shot:

http://www.fatali.com/gallery/newdetails.php?id=75

What do you think, having been there? Would that shot have been possible or is it a composite?


I'm not surprised that there is controversy, people like to bash Michael Fatali after his indiscretion in Arches NP, and the fact he's tight lipped about his methods and locations and because he is successful. Some even went so far as to suggest Fatali knocked down the Teapot to stop his shot being reproduced and increase it's value.... I think it's about time they let it go, he's a good photographer who's trying to make a living and whatever he's done, he's paid his dues by now.

So, to answer your question :

Having also been there... I think the colour is not really faked, you can get a fairly good red hue on the rock in the right sunset ( I did ), however, I do believe the saturation in Fatali's shot is exaggerated.

As for the moon being in the right place, I think I remember Fatali claims he waited a year for the moon to be in the right place to make the shot, and spent two weeks there waiting for the right moment. I think with careful planning it *might* be possible, but it's far easier to do with a double exposure on that 10x8 sheet film.

Did he wait or did he engineer the solution? I wouldn't like to say, and to be honest, I don't really care, I enjoy it for what it is, it's a great shot and he thought of it first, fair play.



Feb 13, 2010 at 03:43 PM
mike hogle
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Very cool. I never knew of it's existence. Thanks for sharing a lost treasure.


Feb 13, 2010 at 03:44 PM
plateaulight
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


It is beautiful at sunset and dusk. It turns orange - red!
I went there to capture a moon shot in October 2005 and it was gone a few months later.
It was a month when the moon was to be in the most northern sky than it had been for decades.
One of the most amazing formations I have seen and a true shame .
I no longer tell people about these kinds of things because of vandalisim.
Ever since Laurent Martres started telling people about these unprotected places I have
seen tons of degradation in the "special" places that nobody ever went to previously.



Feb 13, 2010 at 03:51 PM
KKapple
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


DJoy wrote:
I'm not surprised that there is controversy, people like to bash Michael Fatali after his indiscretion in Arches NP, and the fact he's tight lipped about his methods and locations and because he is successful. Some even went so far as to suggest Fatali knocked down the Teapot to stop his shot being reproduced and increase it's value.... I think it's about time they let it go, he's a good photographer who's trying to make a living and whatever he's done, he's paid his dues by now.

So, to answer your question :

Having also been there... I think the colour is
...Show more


I personally do not have any hang ups about images being manipulated, just be honest about it. I tell people in my threads or posts what I did. Most of use here can spot over processing right off the bat. So to lead people into believeing something is a straight shot is rediculas.

I still do not think the moon could ever be in that location, waiting for the once a year spot or not. But I do not really care. I like the end result of the image he did.

I do have a problem with his lack of respect for the environment. But as you said, he paid his dues. It really boils down to his own attitude and if it has changed or not. Which none of us really know unless we know him.



Feb 13, 2010 at 04:07 PM
KKapple
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Teapot rock in Fantasy Canyon


Thank you guys for the comments and compliments.
I appreciated them. I just wanted to post the image since I have never posted it before.

I have several years worth of images I have never posted before here or on other sites.

So you might see a few more pop up later.



Feb 13, 2010 at 04:09 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password