New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              357      
       359              1018       1019       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

abhijeeth
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.358 #1 · p.358 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

melbmanu wrote:
ZF 100MP

http://manusworld.com/facebook/images/ROB_9193.jpg

Wow! Just brilliant !! Stunning shot :-)!! Worth quoting the image again to see it once more in another page !!

Luka: Like the 2nd one

Philippe: how are you finding the 35 1.4 and 50 1.4 combo in your bag? Considering that these lenses are a few steps apart from each other, which do you find reaching out to first? Both are good in their own special way I guess - want to hear your opinions on that.

May 21, 2011 at 02:36 PM
PeterGlaso
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.358 #2 · p.358 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Crop, D3s, ZF 100/2 f2.1/1600s. ISO 200.

Edited on May 21, 2011 at 08:07 PM · View previous versions

May 21, 2011 at 02:40 PM
OneAnt
• • •
p.358 #3 · p.358 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I just saw you on the (e)bay a few days ago Peter ...this is the lens you bought, a good price too.

He is growing up fast, baby fat has fallen away.

May 21, 2011 at 02:52 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.358 #4 · p.358 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

abhijeeth and alkanphel, thanks for the kind words.

May 21, 2011 at 03:59 PM
Mast3rChi3f
• •
p.358 #5 · p.358 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

After a long, windy and cold night on the highest mountain(1862m) of Madeira island.

21mm

May 21, 2011 at 04:21 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.358 #6 · p.358 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

OneAnt, Jake, Hogo, brilliant sets all! Inspirational!

Abhijeeth, it is still very early days for me with the 35, so read what I say with a grain of salt.
My take on the 35 is rather different than was published by the learned Lloyd Chambers and confirmed by MTF-master Luka. It is a very easy lens to use, at least with my standards and expectations. It is very easy to focus through the VF, even wide open, and, in any event, easier than both 50 f:1.4 and 35 f:2.0. Actually, I am almost ready to call it the easiest focusing Zeiss ZE lens, and I have had them all except 50MP.
I also find it a universal lens. You can use it very close up as well as at infinity and get great results every time. You can use it wide open (see next post) or stopped down. So, from that perspective, it does not have the weaknesses wide open and close up of the 50 f:1.4, not its focus shift (or, actually, very significantly less, but there could be just a trace of it, but it could also be poor micro-adjust, because wide open, DOF is so thin, it is hard to be definite about this).
In terms of performance, the 35 does not "wow" me with apparent sharpness, the way the 35 f:2.0 did, but that is because it has much more small detail. Its colours are IMHO very neutral, without the slight beautification added by the 21, or the slight romantic warmth of the two other f:1.4s, so the emotional content conveyed by the 35 can be perceived as slightly lower than that of other Zeiss lenses. Whether that is a plus or a minus is a matter of personal choice.
Weaknesses? Yes, there is some field curvature. It can be a bit tricky when I focus and recompose. But overall, I do not consider this is as much of a drawback as those of the two other f:1.4s.
Strengths? As reported by others, bokeh is to die for. 3D-ness is also IMHO even better than the class-leading 35 f:2.0, because it expands to small details in the background, when in focus, and that is pretty impressive.
In summary, I am more than happy with this lens, and delighted that the gremlins denounced by Lloyd Chambers, and which overshadowed his massive endorsement of this lens, are much less severe than I feared. In my opinion, it actually represents a step forward in lens design in terms of neutrality, including spatially. Part of that opinion is based on the shot below.
So I am very happy to own both it and the 50, because they don't compete so much as complement each other IMHO. One is light, and romantic, and selective. The other one is on the massive side , and universal, and neutral.

Edited on May 21, 2011 at 08:39 PM · View previous versions

May 21, 2011 at 07:42 PM
abhijeeth
• •
p.358 #7 · p.358 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

carstenw wrote:
WTF? How can trains disappear from Berlin? Unbelievable.

! Somebody pulled a David Copperfield trick?

prosep: forgot to mention [so hard to keep up with all the posters!], the lighting on the first shot is pretty well controlled and soft [from a flash apparently?] and the background color adds to the pic IMHO. Did you use a diffuser? 2nd pic is also nice!

peter: I like both the color and BW versions [slightly prefer the color version]

Jake: 2 & 3 are my picks!

Hugo: The orange streaks of light in the 3rd one is epic!

Well, night sky shots of stars from the 21mm seems to be in fashion for the last few pages,so here is one on the same theme, from one of my fav places : New Zealand

Slightly different place but later on in the day ...

Andre:
even though some filters are better than others, you should do a back to back test to verify their quality. Even the best ones degrade IQ somewhat and you can see these effects most clearly in 100% crops. Luka had an example in another thread regarding the degradation on a 21distagon image. I expect somewhat similar levels of degradation on the 35/2 as well, especially when it is stopped down.

May 21, 2011 at 07:54 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.358 #8 · p.358 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Abhijeeth, your second shot is absolutely outstanding

May 21, 2011 at 08:05 PM
abhijeeth
• •
p.358 #9 · p.358 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

philber wrote:
OneAnt, Jake, Hogo, brilliant sets all! Inspirational!

Abhijeeth, it is still very early days for me with the 35, so read what I say with a grain of salt.
My take on the 35 is rather different than was published by the learned Lloyd Chambers and confirmed by MTF-master Luka. It is a very easy lens to use, at least with my standards and expectations. It is very easy to focus through the VF, even wide open, and, in any event, easier than both 50 f:1.4 and 35 f:2.0. Actually, I am almost ready to call it the easiest focusing Zeiss
...Show more

Philippe: many thanks for the detailed reply and for the kind words. Your experiences seem to be consistent with what Ajay and Wayne wrote earlier as well - i.e. not as severe as LC made it out to be. Glad that you are enjoying your lens [you should cheekily ask Zeiss to give it you for free after the wait they put you through!]

The boat shot you showed is a very good example in many ways. First, I must say that I find it more than acceptable as well. Second, it is a good example of 3Dness. [Both from perspective as well as from rendering]. You almost feel like stroking the polish or varnish coat applied on the sides [you made good use of lighting]. And also, it looks you focused on the rope and the crop is reasonable at f1.4 IMHO. But what makes it special is the OOF regions - very nice.

Regarding the haze: some folks have commented that it is primarily in the blue channel. Is that consistent with your use?

Even though I have never owned or tried them, just by seeing shots online, I feel that all the 1.4 designs have that nice, spatial rendering that is very hard to describe or attribute to just aperture alone. The clarity, performance and vibrance of all Zeiss lenses are hard to put into words but the 1.4 trio [35/50/85] have even more to offer, IMHO.

May 21, 2011 at 08:31 PM
PeterGlaso
• • •
p.358 #10 · p.358 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

philber wrote:

QFT! Brilliant stuff!

May 21, 2011 at 08:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.358 #11 · p.358 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

philber wrote:

+1 and I also like the first one

May 21, 2011 at 08:40 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.358 #12 · p.358 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Philber, I pretty much agree with your your findings re. ZE 35/1.4. I did not find the focusing hard either and the performance wide open is fine. I got it as a replacement for 35L and it did not disappoint. One weakness I would add to your list is size.

May 21, 2011 at 10:48 PM
James Burden
• • •
p.358 #13 · p.358 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

D3 + 100 ZF.2

Really primo work in this thread. It's very humbling.

A Flare to Remember by James_Burden, on Flickr

May 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.358 #14 · p.358 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

abhijeeth, that second shot is terrific.

philber, nice shots !

May 22, 2011 at 12:17 AM
abhijeeth
• •
p.358 #15 · p.358 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks everyone !

May 22, 2011 at 02:20 AM
bpark42
• • •
p.358 #16 · p.358 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I realized I missed a couple comments last time through, so I will just say thank you to everyone who has commented on my recent posts.

Philber, thank you for continuing to post your thoughts on the new 35/1.4. 35 has become my favorite focal length, and I am still on the fence on this lens.

Abhijeeth, both of those photos are excellent. The second is a wall-hanger for sure.

Here are a couple more from my series at the old reformatory:

5D2 + 35/2

peeling by bpark_42, on Flickr

no reading by bpark_42, on Flickr

May 22, 2011 at 02:49 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.358 #17 · p.358 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Absolutely stunning work again on the last couple pages. I really need to get out and hit up some nice photographic settings soon. Lately been just chasing around the house my two favorite subjects for my ZF100MP, and while they work for me (and make me work!) they can't compete with some of these incredible images. Great job all!

A couple anyway...

May 22, 2011 at 03:21 AM
prosep
• •
p.358 #18 · p.358 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

abhijeeth wrote:
prosep: forgot to mention [so hard to keep up with all the posters!], the lighting on the first shot is pretty well controlled and soft [from a flash apparently?] and the background color adds to the pic IMHO. Did you use a diffuser? 2nd pic is also nice!

Thanks, abhijeeth. There are so many excellent uploads each day, it's really difficult to mention individually.
Although I do have flash unit, I use it seldom and I didn't use for that image too! And, I don't own any diffuser.

By the way, your both images are stunning.

May 22, 2011 at 03:52 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.358 #19 · p.358 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

DJ - very nice pics. You certainly are putting that lens to good use!

May 22, 2011 at 03:54 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.358 #20 · p.358 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Abhijeeth, Mirek, Brandon, melbmanu, thanks for the kind words!
DJ, love your tulips!

May 22, 2011 at 06:19 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password