Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              357      
       359              986       987       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

nickson

Upload & Sell: On
p.358 #1 · p.358 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

fracas wrote:
Thanks, Nickson! From my computer your second shot cant't be watched... don't know why

Not sure why it happens .. Both files are sourced from the same website.

Apr 17, 2011 at 04:38 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.358 #2 · p.358 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Akul, your "abused bike" shot is an eye-opener! The more I look at it, the more the composition grows on me. Good catch!
Lovely lilly-lotuses from Lars

Apr 17, 2011 at 04:39 PM
nickson

p.358 #3 · p.358 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

First two with 2/100, last two - with 2/35, on D300.

Apr 17, 2011 at 04:42 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.358 #4 · p.358 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Brilliant prison shot, nickson!!! I also like the "bridge-and snow" shot (N4). Where is that, please?

Apr 17, 2011 at 04:44 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.358 #5 · p.358 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Yes really nice B&W nickson

Apr 17, 2011 at 05:14 PM
Uzay
• • •
p.358 #6 · p.358 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

kururu wrote:
hello everyone in this awesome thread, happy weekend.
autumn 2010 around Kyoto :

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5104/5622926059_4c919100e9_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5308/5622926069_c798031c45_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5107/5622926075_ce7c53950e_z.jpg

around Mt. Fuji :

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/5176664505_378d317f8f_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/5176663487_f30413b412_z.jpg

all from 100MP

Magnificient!

Apr 17, 2011 at 05:57 PM
nickson

p.358 #7 · p.358 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thank you, Philber and Lars. All these were shot back in Korea where I spent quite some time.

The prison shot was made inside Soedaemun prison - a historic site in Seoul; it was built during the Japanese era at the beginning of XX century and was used to keep the national resistance movement members. Lots of disturbing installations help visitors understand the atmosphere back in the days, but leave quite a feeling.

The snow-and-bridge one was shot in Suwon, a satellite city next to Seoul. These water gates are part of huge 5.7km-long fortress built at the end of XVIII century in a (failed) attempt of King Jeongjo to make Suwon a national capital.

Apr 17, 2011 at 07:42 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.358 #8 · p.358 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Took a walk around the Spitalfields/Whitechapel area of London today.
Lots of old arcitecture and history, some of it not too pleasant.

All 5D2 + ZF25

Apr 17, 2011 at 08:53 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.358 #9 · p.358 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

and a few more, I hope you don't mind ;-)

Apr 17, 2011 at 08:55 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.358 #10 · p.358 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I have been trying to understand what I am seeing from my 50 MP, and why it doesn't match my expectations with respect to drawing style in one or a few types of situations, and today I was able to shoot 50 Planar and 50 Makro-Planar side-by-side in the same place I was shooting the 50 MP last week, so that I could start to see if there are any significant differences, and if so, what the differences are. I will post a few sets of comparison shots in the next day or so, but for tonight, I will post just one shot which I thought started to capture some of what I miss in the 50 MP, while simultaneously showing some of its strengths.

This all heavily relates to material covered by Samuli, Philber, Wayne and Adam, around page 55 and on of this thread.

This is the shot I will compare now:

Since I feel that a lot of the feel of a shot gets lost in the final resize step, I am posting here two links to 1800x1200 shots instead. Both shots are at f/2.

50 MP

50 Planar

The three differences most visible to me are 1) the slight softness of the Planar in some areas of the photo, sometimes slightly tinged by purple, 2) the greater sharpness of the 50 MP shot, and 3) my elusive quality, the slightly better 3D effect (although weak in this shot) from the 50 Planar, via its more rapid DoF falloff, especially visible around the center of the image, near the ivy leaves at the base of the tree, but also in the distance. One can also observe the crap corners of the 50 MP near the bottom left and right, where sharpness suddenly falls off very rapidly, in addition to the unexpected sharpness in the top right corner, but I don't care about this (although I have to wonder why Zeiss didn't make this lens just a tiny bit larger to avoid this).

My personal summary of what technical aspect of the 50 MP has me missing something is something which has been mentioned as a characteristic of the 100 MP, namely that it has an extended in-focus region compared to other designs, which eventually falls off somewhat rapidly, but in this case never really catches up with the 50 Planar. The in-focus region is just too large for me for some uses, even wide open. For other uses, it is great, of course.

The comparison is slightly flawed, in that I did not manage to focus in exactly the same place (no tripod today), but I have compared maybe a dozen similar sets today, maybe even more, and they all show this same difference to various extents.

Note that the 50 MP is un-processed, other than sizing and normal sharpening, whereas I had to lower the exposure of the Planar by 0.6 stops or so (this was common among all Planar shots at f/2), increase the contrast by one click (in Aperture), and increase saturation by one click. Before making these changes (which worked uniformly on all Planar f/2 shots I made today), the 50 MP shot is a lot more attractive, but after making them, the 50 Planar shot is often more pleasing, for some reason, and I can't "fix" that by tuning the 50 MP shot.

In the end, the difference between the two was never huge, and often inconsequential, almost always giving the upper hand to the 50 MP, but on a few shots, the Planar had the something I have been looking for, and the 50 MP not. Therefore I think I will buy a 50 Planar at some point, and use both. First I will practice more with the one I have borrowed, to see if I can match some of Martin's urban 3D goodness, keeping the 50 MP on hand to do the comparison. For these tests, I will probably allow the 50 Planar to be shot wide open since the comparison is not meant to be technically fair, but to show what I can get in the best case.

Apr 17, 2011 at 09:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cputeq
• • • •
p.358 #11 · p.358 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

While I haven't browsed every one of the 286 pages, I've enjoyed a lot of shots of what I've seen - amazing stuff from everyone.

Right now I'm anxiously awaiting my 5D2, 24-105 for walk-around and (drum roll) my 35/2 ZE. I even bought a combo subscription to Lloyd's and have been reading about all sorts of Zeiss and other photographic subjects.

The scary part of all of this is the fact I'm starting to slowly be able to identify lens shots - maybe not all the time, but I'm getting there.

So far, here is my own little guide, it's been kind of fun guessing certain images

Ridiculously sharp landscape - probably the 21.
Overall pleasing image with a bit of 3D - Chances are, the 35
Decent DOF with 'interesting' bokeh - Maybe the 50 (either version)
Ridiculously sharp whatever with bokeh I could use to ice a cake - 100

I'm actually really interested in pulling off a 3-way comparison (web sized) to see if there any readily-apparent different between my wife's D90 with 18-105, the 5D2 with 24-105 and 35/2 (all at equiv. 35mm)

Apr 17, 2011 at 09:52 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.358 #12 · p.358 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Don't do it! You will just end up throwing away two perfectly good zooms

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:02 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.358 #13 · p.358 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Actually I was a bit disappointed when shooting with my ZE 35/2 today. I bought it a couple of weeks ago and it was my first real shooting with it. The vignetting wide open is just too much. All my other Zeiss also has a lot of vignetting but this one beats them all. Normally I don't mind it, especially on portraits it can be very nice. But this was just too much.

Carsten I agree with the DOF part when comparing your shots.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.358 #14 · p.358 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

ZE 100/2

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.358 #15 · p.358 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Yes, it's weird how that works, isn't it? As recently as one year ago, I would have no idea that two similar lenses from the same manufacturer could have such different depths of field around the focus point. The 50 MP is quite weird in how much sharpness there is around the focal plane.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.358 #16 · p.358 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Very nice! (Although the chopped off letters and the string bother me slightly.)

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.358 #17 · p.358 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks, the string is probably about 7-8 meters long. So if I included all of it, the Buddha statue would be very small

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:23 PM
kururu
• •
p.358 #18 · p.358 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

akul, akanphel, Lars Johnsson, johnahill, vallejo, philber, uzay : Thank you very much
Lars Johnsson : very beautiful Lotus shots.
nickson : really nice BW, especially the bridge photo

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:19 PM
cyra
• • •
p.358 #19 · p.358 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

interesting comparison and analysis, Carsten. The similarity of the MP 50 with the 100 can be seen in the color rendition. The Planar has this "airiness" to it. They both give a very nice result, just different. When flipping through them the plane really pops for the 50 P, whereas for the 50 MP goes flat again. Why it should have those bad corners being planar, I don't figure.

I just love the rendering of the 50 MP close up. Pure cream.

ZF 50 MP f2

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:29 PM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.358 #20 · p.358 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

nice comparison, carstenw! the 50M shot does seem to be more saturated and with greater DOF. However, if I look at the bark, the planar seems a bit sharper. Will chack again later.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:59 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password