Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              356      
       358              972       973       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

denoir
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.357 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

carstenw wrote:
50MP wide open. This lens does seem to carry a lot of depth of field for its focal length.

About a stop more in apparent DOF compared to the 50 Planar at the same aperture. Samuli did some tests back in the day when this thread was > 50% technical discussions

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/860134/57#8518296

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/860134/57#8519074

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/860134/63#8541460

The 100 MP is actually no different. If you compare it to say the Canon 100/2.8 Macro at f/2.8 you'll see that the Zeiss appears to have a larger DOF.

This of course has to do with the type of sharpness-to-blur transition. Usually highly corrected lenses have a sharp transition, but Zeiss seems to have done some voodo with the Makro Planars.

Apr 16, 2011 at 09:58 PM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.357 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

vallejo wrote:
Some BW work on an small village in Brazil,called Tiradentes...First one ZE 35/2, last three ZE 100/2.

3rd one works for me. Great shot.

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:24 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.357 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Quick landscape attempt with zf25.
The landscape near me is not so interesting

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:26 PM
Uzay
• • •
p.357 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Discussions aside i love my 50MP one of the best amongst my other 50mms (i have 6)

Edited on Apr 16, 2011 at 10:42 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:36 PM
Uzay
• • •
p.357 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Apr 16, 2011 at 10:42 PM
kururu
• •
p.357 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

hello everyone in this awesome thread, happy weekend.
autumn 2010 around Kyoto :

around Mt. Fuji :

all from 100MP

Apr 17, 2011 at 03:01 AM
akul
• • •
p.357 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Pace of this thread is picking up quite a bit. 300 pages will be in 10 days or something.

Thank you very much folks for your comment.

Lars - Wonderful portraits from street. Bird selling child shot is quite powerful.

Carsten - Last time Samli was around, he mentioned about 50MP's filed curvature at infinity. I don't think that is related to Carsten's focusing challenge. Could that be oil on view finder ?

Really liking the shot of wood chopper ? Great color, texture. Bokeh got a bit oversharpened ( tree on left area caught my attention ) ?

Vincent - wonderful works with 50 planar Love that towing truck (?) shot, especially the 1.4 shot.

prosep - nice flower shot

OnAnt - Great street shots with 21. Wonderful lighting on all of them. I really like the way how lighting is accentuating subject in all shots. Last shot is gorgeous capture of joy, laughter.

Dubaiphil - quite a detail on that shot. Nice capture of boats on the water

steveu - Powerful portrait with 35 f1.4. Color looks great.

Alkanphel - Lovely b/w macro. Beautiful capture of dew

nickson - nice b/w tone on the first shot

Mirek - could it be heat dissipating from building facade?

vallejo - Stunnin B/W. Love the first two shots. Man on the door step with a dog, that is a great moment you captured.

Uzay - Very nice composition. Stepping shelves and cat on the sidewalk, somehow creates a diagonal connection. Was the focus on door knob ?

johnahill - I like the deep sky and field of flowers.

kururu - Beautiful shots. Great color. Love them all, but in particular, #4 momiji leaf shot is just super !!

Akul

Edited on Apr 17, 2011 at 03:46 AM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2011 at 03:33 AM
akul
• • •
p.357 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

ZF.2 100 on D700

This one seems slightly back focused, oh well

One of the crazy thing in NYC. Once bicycles get vandalized, parts get stolen, people just leave them on the side walk letting them decay. I just don't get it. Thinking about the girl selling birds to free them from Lars's shot. So, anyway, this is yet another abused bike portrait.

Akul

Apr 17, 2011 at 03:42 AM
alkanphel
• •
p.357 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

kururu: Those are some really outstanding shots from Kyoto! Very beautiful and evocative.

Apr 17, 2011 at 04:31 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.357 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

alkanphel wrote:
prosep: Great photo, love the bokeh of it!
Lars: Nice one, are you hand-holding the 100MP?

Thanks, yes I'm handholding it

Apr 17, 2011 at 05:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.357 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Phil, steveu, alkanphel, Vincent, johnahill, Uzay, kururu, akul, great Zeiss shots.
Vallejo excellent B&W photos

Apr 17, 2011 at 06:00 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.357 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

ZE 100 MP

Apr 17, 2011 at 06:02 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.357 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Kururu - great series, love the colours.
Lars great colour and texture what are those things.

Apr 17, 2011 at 07:01 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.357 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

akul wrote:
Carsten - Last time Samli was around, he mentioned about 50MP's filed curvature at infinity. I don't think that is related to Carsten's focusing challenge. Could that be oil on view finder ?

Great photos on this page!

I don't think there is any oil there. The screen looks totally even in coloration and darkness.

In the end, I sat down and tweaked my diopter yet again, and this time, instead of setting it by where I thought the focusing rectangles were sharpest, I set it by manual focus accuracy. It ended up 3-4 clicks from where I had it before, but now I can nail almost every shot with both 50 MP and 100 MP. I have to test this in the real world, as I was working in my living room, but it does seem to be better now.

Interestingly, it isn't quite as easy to focus, indicating that my focus screen may be slightly off from its proper placement. I should probably send in my D3 at some point and have it checked over.

Apr 17, 2011 at 07:12 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.357 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

johnahill wrote:
Kururu - great series, love the colours.
Lars great colour and texture what are those things.

Thanks, it's Lotus flowers. A very common flower in Thailand. I would guess it's a kind of waterlily

Apr 17, 2011 at 07:21 AM
fracas
• •
p.357 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

nickson wrote:
Francesco, love your bluish long exposure shot with 21 a few pages away. Great tone, and looks better than BW version

Thanks, Nickson! From my computer your second shot cant't be watched... don't know why

Apr 17, 2011 at 08:28 AM
cyra
• • •
p.357 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

carstenw wrote:
In the end, I sat down and tweaked my diopter yet again, and this time, instead of setting it by where I thought the focusing rectangles were sharpest, I set it by manual focus accuracy. It ended up 3-4 clicks from where I had it before, but now I can nail almost every shot with both 50 MP and 100 MP..... indicating that my focus screen may be slightly off from its proper placement. I should probably send in my D3 at some point and have it checked over.

oops, if 3-4 clicks on the D3 are what they are on the D700, your screen must be v e r y off.
I don't find the MP 50 any harder to focus than the 100. Haven't noticed more out of focus shots either. In fact, for me it feels like an easy lens to deal with. Can you compare with another Nikon (in a shop maybe?). You can also try to set focus on say 2m by using the scale on the lens and measure the distance (to the chip plane) and see whether that gives a correctly focused shot. Then set the diopter acordingly (might vary with distance though). I hope you get it fixed and it doesn't keep getting in the way of your relationship with the MP 50 any longer
The DOF of the 50 is really impressive. I found, I can use it at f4 for landscape shots sharp from front to back (not quite really, but almost, I actually like a little focus fall off at the very front and at far infinity.)
Concerning your seperation problem, I think the 50 is better at it at closer distances. Try with smaller objects closer by, to get the hang of it.

Edited on Apr 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2011 at 08:30 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.357 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

It is odd that the screen might be off, since when I first started using the 100 MP, I was nailing almost all my shots, but now it seems that there is a problem. Perhaps I should try to re-seat the screen, in case it just got a jolt, or got a bit loose?

In hindsight I see what you mean with my relationship with the 50 MP, so I should probably state things a little less ambiguously: the 50 MP is a really great lens, and I cannot imagine selling it again. It has astounding performance, with virtually no CA anywhere under any conditions, and it is sharp as can be, even wide open. The shape and size are pretty close to perfect, and now that I have used it a bit, the focusing ring has a very nice firm smoothness to it.

It has just two minor issues, which cause me to wonder if I should add (not replace with) a 50 Planar: the DoF is rather large at all apertures, and to get real background blur requires moving in quite close. Secondly, the far corners appear to have some field curvature, which doesn't bother with my style of photography, but is something to keep in mind. The large DoF could be an advantage for example for landscape photography, as you mentioned.

Apr 17, 2011 at 08:56 AM
vallejo
• •
p.357 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Kururu,Mont Fuji in your colours rocks!

Apr 17, 2011 at 04:30 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.357 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

alkanphel wrote:
kururu: Those are some really outstanding shots from Kyoto! Very beautiful and evocative.

+1 to what he writes!

Apr 17, 2011 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password