New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              350      
       352              1018       1019       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

magiclight
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.351 #1 · p.351 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Nice contrasty BW shot Andre.

I've just ordered a 100ZE today. Hopefully I can create shots as good as yours

May 15, 2011 at 05:53 AM
philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.351 #2 · p.351 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Sorry you didn't have better light, Sangdabom! Love your last two shots, the door pic especially!

May 15, 2011 at 05:54 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.351 #3 · p.351 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Congratulations on your new lens, Magiclight!

May 15, 2011 at 05:56 AM
magiclight
• •
p.351 #4 · p.351 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks, Philippe,

After reading some of your posts on the 85ZE, I was rather tempted by it's drawing style. However I played it safe and went with the 100MP. Perhaps the 85ZE next.

Dave

May 15, 2011 at 07:07 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.351 #5 · p.351 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Dave, not that I want to be mean, but there another king of the drawing-style king IHMO. The 35 f:1.4. I intend to prove it as soon as I have time.

May 15, 2011 at 07:58 AM
magiclight
• •
p.351 #6 · p.351 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Yes, Ive been following the threads and Diglloyd review. Some time in the future I will sell my 35ZE for the the 1.4.

May 15, 2011 at 08:12 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.351 #7 · p.351 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

denoir wrote:
Carsten, we agree on the problem entirely, just not the solution.

I am curious what solution you have in mind?

In fact, the problem is even worse than I wrote before. I also own Contax 645 and Hasselblad Zeiss lenses, and I do own both a Hasselblad-Contax and Hasselblad-Nikon adapter. For some of these things there aren't any threads, so creating new threads, or posting in old semi-suitable threads is the only choice, both of which pretty much guarantee that the photos and posts will disappear into the ether rather quickly.

I wish the whole thing had been thought out better, earlier. At the moment there are the following threads related to Zeiss, and probably more I missed:

- ZE/ZF/ZM thread
- C/Y thread
- Zeiss 35/1.4 thread
- Zeiss 80-200/4 thread

- no ZA thread
- no medium format Zeiss thread
- no large format Zeiss lens thread
- no Nokia cellphone thread

- Plus, the Zeiss Lens thread I just started

I think anyone can see the absurdity here. In fact, one split which would make sense is the ZE/ZF/ZM thread, and another for all other Zeiss posts, which would still be a lower volume thread than this one. I hope that people will use the new Zeiss Lens thread in that way. Even that would be an improvement on the current situation, and would help stop the other threads from regularly disappearing, getting lost and forgotten.

May 15, 2011 at 08:24 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.351 #8 · p.351 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I don't have a solution but if I had one it would definitely not be to add yet another thread. Nor am I certain that a universal Zeiss thread would be a good solution, even if the other threads disappeared. A new single thread to replace the non-ZE/ZF/ZM threads could perhaps work.

This particular thread has been very successful because of a critical mass of people, photos and a suitably narrow focus. Threads that are too narrow won't have a good flow as too few people are involved. Threads that are too general (the alternative image thread for instance) are too diverse to form a good exchange of ideas between the posters.

Any radical changes may break the ZE/ZF/ZM thread, especially as it is not as stable as it once was. There are a lot less discussions here now than it used to be - now it has become almost a dedicated image thread. It's carried on by the many great photographers that keep posting here. If you however start messing with that parameter and people start splitting off in even more threads then it will be the end of the good days for this one. I'm sure it will still exist and some people will post in it, but it won't have that critical mass to keep it going.

I think that any workable solution would have to include this thread still being the main Zeiss one. If there is however too much opposition to embrace the C/Y photos here (as we accept film-M shots in the digital Leica thread) then the next best solution is to leave things as they are. All the other Zeiss threads could be integrated into one non-Z thread, but I think you'll find opposition there as well. The Zeiss 35/1.4 is for instance pretty legendary and I don't think people would be all that happy to abandon it.

May 15, 2011 at 09:17 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.351 #9 · p.351 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I cannot imagine that this thread will be damaged by the new one. There are still so many posters in here, and it is constantly near the top. There are a lot of people interested only in ZF/ZE lenses, and not other Zeiss lenses, and for them, this is the perfect thread.

I would recommend then that the new thread is for all non-ZF/ZE Zeiss lenses, and this one remains as the dedicated ZF/ZE thread. The few people who own some of each and prefer to post in just one thread (like myself) can also use the new thread, but that is minor. The new thread has seen an early influx of medium format Zeiss photos, so providing a home for less-well-known Zeiss lenses is a positive thing.

I think that saying "splitting off in even more threads" is a bit of hyperbole. In fact, there are loads of Zeiss-related threads all the time, and this is more what the new thread is hoping to address, not to kill off the most popular Zeiss thread. There must have been about 40-50 Zeiss threads in just the last month.

In order to try to maintain both this and the new thread, I will place a notice about that at the top of the new thread.

The people who like being here will surely continue on posting here, and I will be over in the other thread, trying to turn it into a more general Zeiss resource. I have just added a list of Zeiss-FM links to my first post, to try to tie together the information better. If the Zeiss 35/1.4 owners want to keep their own thread, that is fine too. In the end, we each have our choice, which aren't mutually exclusive. I would personally continue to read all three threads.

May 15, 2011 at 09:40 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.351 #10 · p.351 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Yes, well, I hope you do see the irony in the situation. Your primary problem was that you couldn't post your C/Y shots in your favorite thread (ZE/ZF/ZM) and that there were too many small Zeiss image threads. What you have done now is a) said that you will post none of your shots in your favorite thread and b) added another small Zeiss image thread. In short, you've just added to the things that you thought was problematic in the first place.

Anyway, I'm not particularly worried. What I listed in my previous post was a worst case scenario - i.e if enough people started using it the way you intend to use it (mix of Z* and non-Z* images). I do not see it as a likely scenario though.

May 15, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

akul
• • • •
p.351 #11 · p.351 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I myself use ZF, CY 'allt' lenses with Nikon and on NEX and somehow it does feel convoluted to post in multiple posts. It just is a little bit too time consuming. To be selfish, I won't mind this thread to grow into more inclusive one. Do I wish if it was named ZE/ZF/ZM/Zeiss Images thread ? Yes, but it wasn't. Oh well. I am not too fond of the idea of splitting. It just makes it even more convoluted. my 2cents

May 15, 2011 at 10:51 AM
abhijeeth
• •
p.351 #12 · p.351 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

[Luka]:
W.r.t lens discussions,I guess as the existing lenses become more & more well known, then there is a natural, progressive subsiding of the discussions? I do miss the discussions but also love the image heaviness at the same time. It helps to see what is possible in a lens [creatively and technically] and I guess you can push the envelope a little when it comes to lens learning and usage.

Love the first shot BTW. Good example for "near-middle-far". Beautiful depth all the way to the distant snow capped mountains .

Do you have any shots [with some clouds in the sky] from the 50MP and the 21 under similar lighting conditions? I am trying to see if there is a pattern to the contrast levels, (in particular the highlights) based on my observations + based on shots from Lofoten you've posted from the MP and the ZE.

rji2goleez: very nice shot! That Biogon is crisp! just fyi, there seems to be some water/dust spots at the top part of the image.

prosep: Thanks. Like the 2nd shot.

2 shots from the 21ZE shooting into the sun + two from the 50MP. You can see the cat's eye bokeh at certain background distances and I think this is well-known already.

1. (Needs to be seen even bigger to fully appreciate it IMHO)

May 15, 2011 at 03:49 PM
Herisson

p.351 #13 · p.351 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

A few from the Netherlands. All with ZE21

Hope it wasn't too cliché

May 15, 2011 at 03:51 PM
abhijeeth
• •
p.351 #14 · p.351 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Herisson wrote:
Hope it wasn't too cliché

Not at all! Like the 2nd one. The leading lines point you to the windmill at the background, but the one at the left & front pulls you back due to its larger size. Nice! :-) B&W works well for this.

May 15, 2011 at 04:00 PM
alkanphel
• •
p.351 #15 · p.351 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Herisson: Love those b&w conversion, there's a certain mood and weight to them that I really like, especailly the first 2. And the rest of the images remind me of similar images from olden times.

May 15, 2011 at 05:17 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.351 #16 · p.351 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

abhijeeth wrote:
rji2goleez: very nice shot! That Biogon is crisp! just fyi, there seems to be some water/dust spots at the top part of the image.

Thanks. I did a check and realized that this is actually the result of shooting through a dirty window. I need to check more critically before uploading!

May 15, 2011 at 06:27 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.351 #17 · p.351 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

denoir wrote:
Yes, well, I hope you do see the irony in the situation. Your primary problem was that you couldn't post your C/Y shots in your favorite thread (ZE/ZF/ZM) and that there were too many small Zeiss image threads. What you have done now is a) said that you will post none of your shots in your favorite thread and b) added another small Zeiss image thread. In short, you've just added to the things that you thought was problematic in the first place. .

Not on purpose, if ends up going that way. I am trying to start a thread with more freedom to post Zeiss shots than this one, and also to try to stop all these little baby-Zeiss threads, as well as mop up some of the existing ones. I find 2 or 3 Zeiss threads quite okay, but we had around 50 in the last month alone, which is annoying in the extreme. If we could have this thread, the Zeiss thread for other Zeiss lenses, and maybe one or two specialized threads like the 35/1.4 thread, then I would be happy.

I find it is worth a try. Doing nothing at this point is not an option for me. I don't want to post in the C/Y thread each time I pull out the 80-200/4.

May 15, 2011 at 07:01 PM
Bobu
• • •
p.351 #18 · p.351 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

This weekend I was on photo event in germany where Zeiss had a booth. I talked to the guys from Oberkochen and they told me that the new 25ZE will probably be released this autumn. The main reason for the delay is the earthquake in Japan. The lens is ready for manufacturing, but they use some special glass that is only available from one certain factory in the earthquake region.
They also told me, that the 2.0/85ZM is not discontinued, they just removed it from their website due to the extremely long delivery time at the moment (> 15 month). The reason for this is the big succes of their cine lenses, which are also manufactured in Germany. They also told me, that they will release some new SLR lenses within the next year, but no new ZM lenses.

Boris

May 15, 2011 at 07:11 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.351 #19 · p.351 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Bobu wrote:
This weekend I was on photo event in germany where Zeiss had a booth. I talked to the guys from Oberkochen and they told me that the new 25ZE will probably be released this autumn. The main reason for the delay is the earthquake in Japan. The lens is ready for manufacturing, but they use some special glass that is only available from one certain factory in the earthquake region.
They also told me, that the 2.0/85ZM is not discontinued, they just removed it from their website due to the extremely long delivery time at the moment (> 15 month). The
...Show more

Thanks for the update.
Is the ZE 25 a f/2 or f/2,8 lens?

May 15, 2011 at 07:26 PM
Bobu
• • •
p.351 #20 · p.351 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

They didn't answered this question, but they said it will be a "high quality" lens, in the same league as the 21ZE.

Boris

May 15, 2011 at 07:30 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password