Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              241      
       243              989       990       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

MJWong
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.242 #1 · p.242 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Diploneis: Thanks. I'm sure if one of you had been there it would have resulted in a more spectacular shot. Also, love your tricolour canopy shot. Went for a hike today and was trying to do something similar but failed.

Hugo: WOW, those deserve to be printed in grand fashion!

Todd: Amazingly vibrant colours, almost jumps off of my monitor.

Denoir: Crazy shots, they really give me a sense of being there. Also really scary, I'm not looking forward to the white dirts return this year. (PS, didn't know snow shots could turn out that cool with you being able to see the flakes, thanks)

Oct 24, 2010 at 01:48 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.242 #2 · p.242 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

A few more from a walk yesterday....

Image 479036 not found

Image 479037 not found

Image 479038 not found

Image 479039 not found

Oct 24, 2010 at 02:51 AM
akul
• • •
p.242 #3 · p.242 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Wow so many beautiful photos in one day !! Slow in processing on my end.

Philber, Denoir, thank you so much for your comment!

Karelg - Loved your sculptures, but they are no longer showing up??

Joakim - The texture of the fabric gives very tactile feeling. Great capture.

Makten - Great composition on B/W film shot. Beauty found in chaos. Texture of ground adds cold feeling. The color one, I mean with the blue band, what can I say, wow ! Third one, is it possible you shot the same tree about 6 month ago? I had a de ja vu moment.

Gary - Beautiful capture of time lapsing of the skyline. Lovely light on the second set ( one with white trees in water) Love the texture on cross from the third set ( from cemetery )

rji2goleez- Congrats on 35 f2. Love that spice rack shot. Thyme, rosemary, Cumin, Anice ??

Philber - I don't have 100MP, but I agree I like the second one. However I don't know whether it has anything to do with what you are experiencing. Second one has much stronger sense of volume and presence. That has more to do with the angle and distance of the shots. Beautiful capture.

Denoir - Great set of contrasting scenes ! Beautiful yellow leaves to harsh gust of wind and snow. Your caption also added more excitement to this particular set. Lovely showcase of 85 and 21. By the way, what happened to the Pentax film medium format shots ??

Diploneis - Beautiful color on all of them. #2 stands out with the composition to my eyes.

Todd - Beautiful leaves shots. Your choice of background bokeh and color are very strong and stand out to me
whether they nature shots or portraits. Beautiful.

Mortyb - Frozen leaf !! Can't take it! I am still in a bit of denial about change of season. Beautiful shot though.

Mast3rChi3f - Thanks for the beautiful ocean shots from summer. Beautiful sky and water!

MJWong - Beautiful set. I noticed that you are shooting with 7D. I admire you focusing skill with APSC sensor camera! #5, I think 35 was the right one with boat and the moon. Boat would have been quite tiny with 21 ? Love the last one.

Whew, it was a feast !!

Akul

Oct 24, 2010 at 03:50 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.242 #4 · p.242 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks Todd, Akul, your encouragement is appreciated at this time of drought.
Hugo, two wonderful shots! Writing "as always" would seem to diminish the compliment, though, so I don't write it, but I mean it.
Gary, I love your last cemetary shot!
Matt, "is this a dream" is really outstanding and inspiring IMHO!

Oct 24, 2010 at 05:38 AM
Mast3rChi3f
• •
p.242 #5 · p.242 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks guys.

Cool shots Gary.

Oct 24, 2010 at 01:55 PM
Anden
• • • • •
p.242 #6 · p.242 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Very nice Hugo!

Oct 24, 2010 at 02:23 PM
akul
• • •
p.242 #7 · p.242 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Mast3rChi3f - What a vista. Beautiful color of sky and water. Light on the second one is great.

One from last week. (Lincoln Center, Henry Moore sculpture in foreground )

Akul

Oct 24, 2010 at 04:55 PM
jph1
• • •
p.242 #8 · p.242 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

5dII, ZE 21
Image 479197 not found

Oct 24, 2010 at 05:53 PM
joakim
• • •
p.242 #9 · p.242 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

When the sky is all grey its time to run to the forrest
Image 479212 not found

Image 479213 not found

Oct 24, 2010 at 06:38 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.242 #10 · p.242 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks everybody! Here's one with the 50/1.4 from today.

Oct 24, 2010 at 07:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

philber
• • • • •
p.242 #11 · p.242 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Rotating to the ZE 28 and ZE 85 today.
Here are some postcards. Not sure how much the pics will lose due to Web format, but anyone suggesting that the 28 isn't sharp at infinity is barking up the wrong tree....
Image 479246 not found

Image 479247 not found

Image 479248 not found

Image 479249 not found

Oct 24, 2010 at 07:46 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.242 #12 · p.242 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

From a walk with Bernie in Jüdischer Friedhof Berlin-Weißensee today, all with the 100MP wide open:

Feedback welcome. I am using an Aperture plugin called "Border FX" to do the border, and also to do the sharpening. I like the border, although I have some trouble making the text exactly how I want it, but I am struggling a little to find good sharpening settings. The settings are USM-like, with strength and radius, so this is somewhat limiting, but I don't want to fuss around with Photoshop just to export an image for FM.

Oct 24, 2010 at 08:31 PM
alba63
• • •
p.242 #13 · p.242 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

- Joakim, the second one is breathtaking,

- Philber (sorry forgot your real name), you keep french civilization alive with your shots, great shots from the chateaus, actually I'd welcome if a title of the photos with the name of the location would become a habit - I am always interested with what I see. That last one really shows the nature of that typical garden architecture.
Also are you happy with the ZE28mm? I don't feel comfortable with anything wider than 28, the 35 sometimes being too long for "wide angle" situations. But it is no one of the really popular ZF/ZE lenses... I just sold my ZF25, my least convincing ZF lens.

- Carsten, you were much faster than I am with processing the shots from our todays walk, I am still viewing my shots, and yes you really make good use of that 100MP. For those who don't understand at all german; the place is Berlins main jewish cemetery (one of the largest in Europe), an amazing location for photography.

I will post something later or tomorrow...

cheers
Bernie

Oct 24, 2010 at 09:22 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.242 #14 · p.242 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Akul, nice shot, I like the mood.

jph1: Very nice shot - I like the colors.

Joakim: The second shot is fantastic!

Philippe: Love the two last shots. The perspective on #3 is interesting and I really like the antlike tourists in #4

Carsten, that Jewish cemetary looks like a great place for photography. Nice shots! Speaking of sharpening, I think yours in the shots above might be a bit too coarse - that it's destroying a bit of the finer detail in the image.

A couple shots with my favorite lens (ZE21) and favorite time (night):

Oct 24, 2010 at 09:41 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.242 #15 · p.242 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks Bernie and Luka!

Luka, I the USM setting in the dialog give strength from 0 to 1 and pixels radius. I am using 1/0.5. If I use 0.33 for the pixel radius, the sharpening is softer, but perhaps retains a tiny bit more information. However, the traditional setting of 250%/0.33 pixels does not seem to be possible with this plugin.

I suppose one of these days I will have to give up my lazy ways and simply jump to PS for the last few steps. Then I will have to make some resizing scripts (shouldn't be too hard with all the good info around here), as well as some border addition steps. I am not really looking forward to having to do this.

And yes, this cemetery is really amazing. I have been visiting various cemeteries, including one other Jewish one close to where live, but none are as beautiful as this one. It is also absolutely huge. We walked and walked and walked and spent several hours in there, but still only managed to see a fraction of it. 42ha, 115.000+ graves.

Jüdischer Friedhof Berlin-Weißensee

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:02 PM
Todd Adamson
• • • • •
p.242 #16 · p.242 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks Luka, Martynas, MJWong, and Akul, really appreciate the comments.

Gary, another cracking shot with the dead trees, love it! I was under the impression that the 50mm was not a great candidate for the infamous 3D, but I see it in that footbridge shot.

Hugo, the “Lagoa de Fogo” shot in particular is wonderful. Makes me feel like I am there, and what a beautiful location!

Oct 24, 2010 at 11:31 PM
BennyR
• • •
p.242 #17 · p.242 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Like those shots Luka. Here's a quickie passing through Las Vegas. I missed most of the storm. ZE 35/2.
Image 479375 not found

Oct 25, 2010 at 02:23 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.242 #18 · p.242 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks for the positive comment, Bernie and Luka!
You are so right, Bernie. These pictures are from the Chateau de Vaux-le-Vicomte, near Paris. It was created by and for Nicolas Fouquet, France's Minister of Finance in the early days of Louis XIV's reign. He was a great sponsor of the Arts, but this Chateau was his undoing. He invited the monarch to a week-long feast, but the King was offended that anyone could have a property so obviously "better" than his own. He ordered Fouquet arrested, and mandated that he spend the rest of his life in jail, part of it alongside the Man in the Iron Mask.
Louis XIV also took over the multiple talents sponsored by Fouquet, including the three responsible for Vaux-le Vicomte, Le Nôtre, Le Vaux and Le Brun, plus La Fontaine, Corneille and many other luminaries of the "Grand Siècle". Thus, Vaux-le Vicompte, while on a much smaller scale, is very much the forebearer of and prototype for Versailles.

One more post from this "postcard" series, and one from inside the Chateau showing the 28 wide open in difficult conditions.

Regarding the ZE28, it took me more time to get good shots out of it than my previous Zeiss glass. It is very sharp from close up to infinity, and from wide open on down. It is the lens in the Zeiss range that has (my copy at least) the least saturated colours and contrast, but I know others think otherwise in this respect. It has a well-documented purple fringing problem, which is worse than I'd like, and a curvature of the focal plane that bothers some, but not me.
Whereas my 21 is always spectacular, with preternatural DOF, massive detail and great colours; and the 35 is very sharp with dramatic 3D, the 28 has less visible character (that can be good or bad, depending on one's expectations), which is why Zeiss call it a reportage lens.
That said, I like the focal length more and more, and Zeiss glass, so that is why I end up using it. Right now I am (I hope) pulling out of a drought caused by (I think) paying too much attentiont to the equipment, and trying too hard to capture something spectacular with it, so I am not going to hide behind any lens inadequacies as an excuse for failed shots or a dismal keeper rate. In this instance, I pulled the 28 from my bag because the sky was overcast and uninteresting when I got there, which would have made the 21 problematic, and I am quite pleased with the results from a lens point of view. To the point that I think it will get more action and the 21 less in coming days.
Image 479397 not found

Image 479398 not found

Oct 25, 2010 at 03:00 AM
Todd Adamson
• • • • •
p.242 #19 · p.242 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

A few more fall color shots with the 100MP, taken yesterday, just now processed:

Oct 25, 2010 at 03:52 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.242 #20 · p.242 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Nice set, Todd, with the last one my fave!

Oct 25, 2010 at 03:56 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password