Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2009 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

Saw a set of gloves in the BS forum to use while shooting in cold weather. Now this has me thinking the last time I was shooting my hands got so cold I thought I should get some gloves. Anyone have any suggestions for a light weight shooting gloves? that will also keep ones hands from freezing?

Mike

Dec 25, 2009 at 11:19 PM
csm
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

Glacier Gloves, full set or fingerless

Lowepro full finger gloves

Just about any fingerless, fleece with leather palm...I like REI's generic version

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:04 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

MSC wrote:
Glacier Gloves, full set or fingerless

Lowepro full finger gloves

Just about any fingerless, fleece with leather palm...I like REI's generic version

Thank you I will check them out

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:05 AM
csm
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

The Glacier Gloves are neoprene...some people like them and some not...the fleece lined ones are good but can be thick.

Unless it is really cold, I go for fingerless...nice for working the knobs and buttons.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:08 AM
csm
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

Oh, I also have some wool fingerless with leather palm and leather that goes all the way to the end of the finger...old fashioned but work well, wool is really warm.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:10 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

MSC wrote:
The Glacier Gloves are neoprene...some people like them and some not...the fleece lined ones are good but can be thick.

Unless it is really cold, I go for fingerless...nice for working the knobs and buttons.

I tried some wool fingerless last year and hated them my fingers got cold

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:16 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

I normally wear some thinly insulated shooting gloves (same as I use for duck hunting) from Cabelas.com. THey are thin enough to work most buttons on my camera and are warm down to about +20F. These are great when it's above zero. When it's colder than that I wear some Black Diamond Guide gloves to keep my hands warm down to about -30F. Under them I wear some Underarmour liner gloves. THese are very stretchy and and can even pull credit cards out of my billfold with them. They will keep my hands warm for about 15 minutes in temps below 0 F. They work exceptionally well for working a camera. I'm not crazy about the mittens that open up to let fingers out because they can let in snow, and usually I'm working in weather that's just too cold for them anyway.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076-cat601367&id=0047721960381a&navCount=3&podId=0047721960381&parentId=cat601367&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Black-Diamond-Guide-Glove-Mens/BLD0767M.html

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2589987&CAWELAID=115934524

Kent in SD

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:37 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

Now that looks cold I am going to check out the REI for sure

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:49 AM
csm
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

If Kent is in SD, they know the cold stuff like we here in the Mid-Atlantic only read about.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:49 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

Two23 wrote:
I normally wear some thinly insulated shooting gloves (same as I use for duck hunting) from Cabelas.com. THey are thin enough to work most buttons on my camera and are warm down to about +20F. These are great when it's above zero. When it's colder than that I wear some Black Diamond Guide gloves to keep my hands warm down to about -30F. Under them I wear some Underarmour liner gloves. THese are very stretchy and and can even pull credit cards out of my billfold with them. They will keep my hands warm for about 15 minutes in temps
...Show more

I like the idea of the thinsolate had a pair when they first came out and they are warm

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:58 AM
gentleman

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

You can't ever go wrong with Spyder gloves. They are perfect and depended upon by the U.S. Olympic teams for the winter games and are "affordable" for the quality you are getting. They offer the compact liner glove and stretch fleece glove that offer thin profiles allowing your fingers to still work all the controls.

http://www.spyder.com/Mens/Accessories/Gloves/

Dec 26, 2009 at 02:32 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

The main problem with most fleece gloves, by themselves, is they aren't wind proof. The wind will blow the heat right out of them. Fleece can also start to smash down where it contacts something you are pushing on too, which decreases the insulation. Fleece is great in a shirt, but not so great in a sock for example. And yes, I live in South Dakota. I travel & photo in the Dakotas and Minnesota. It usually gets below -20F in winters here. The coldest since I've lived here was -54. For the past two years I've been taking a lot of shots at night when it can really cool down. The snow is a great reflector for my flash!

In winter I keep about 4-8 of the chemical handwarmers in my camera bag. I put them in my gloves or boots as needed. I also have taped them to my camera to keep the batteries going when needed.

Kent in SD

Dec 26, 2009 at 07:18 AM
reko
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

Get the small chemical handwarmers and put them on the back of your hands inside the gloves. This keeps your fingers warmer and allows you to wear a thinner glove for more dexterity.

Dec 26, 2009 at 08:50 AM
Chris B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

Mike -

I'll throw a different solution out there, albeit a lot more expensive at almost $200/pr! and not particularly lightweight but worth it for me, IMHO. I like to shoot in very cold weather too but I'm a diabetic so my fingers get cold quite easily. I found a pair of electric gloves from Gerbings which have worked out great. There's a rechargeable battery back which fits in a compartment on the backs of each glove. The gloves are well constructed, and feature a soft lining with a wind and waterproof exterior, and even with the highest power setting on the battery packs, I can easily shoot in compfort for 5-6 hrs.

Chris

Dec 26, 2009 at 08:51 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

When using gloves for photography there is always a trade-off between warmth and usability working the camera knobs/buttons.

I use a pair of insulated biking gloves (Cyclone) that I found at REI. Thin enough for finger dexterity, yet just warm enough to take the bite out of the cold.... Bought some of the chemical warmers that reko recommends for colder outings.....

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:25 AM
csm
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

reko wrote:
Get the small chemical handwarmers and put them on the back of your hands inside the gloves. This keeps your fingers warmer and allows you to wear a thinner glove for more dexterity.

Agreed, those little guys have saved my hands many times when it get really cold and allows for fingerless or thinner gloves with lower temps. If it gets super cold, more than one on each hand even. Be sure the crack them to get the chemical reaction started early, it takes them quite a while to get cooking.

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:37 AM
nilo4fm
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

I purchased the etre gloves and few days ago they arrived. I did not have a chance to try them in cold weather conditions yet but next week I will be heading to the mountains and I will test them. Check them out here

http://www.etretouchy.com/

Nikos

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:41 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

Nikos,
What will you do to keep the exposed fingertips from becoming a problem with these gloves?

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM
Chris Noyes
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

Living in the Arizona desert, I don't frequently need cold weather protection. However, when I was in Alaska, I used these and was very happy with them. I was out standing around in an open field all night standing around shooting the northern lights in 0 F temps.

I also recommend the chemical warmers.

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:49 AM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Good gloves for shooting in cold weather ????

These have worked very well for me.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0065279960540a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=9&_D%3AhasJS=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&No=36&Ntt=gloves&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Go.x=20&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Wacky roger
Founding Member Of OOOPs

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:57 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.