[X]
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Possible world record

And Warehouseexpress over here in the UK

http://twitter.com/WexTweets

Dec 16, 2009 at 08:38 AM
ohansen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Possible world record

Uhmm I've never skydived but I've had a lighter camera attached to my head (once, only once) while skiing, when things go tits-up even a small amount of mass can create a surprising whiplash, which presumably is one reason for why they try to make helmets lightweight? Killing the poor suckers who are stupid enough to stand on the ground where things will fall is one thing, but it strikes me as attaching a DSLR *and* camcorder to your head before jumping out of a plane might easily qualify someone for an entry in the Darwin awards...?

Dec 16, 2009 at 09:51 AM
Tri Tran
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Possible world record

aerodynamic in action

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:13 AM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Possible world record

BrianO wrote:
Which had its first flight on Tuesday morning. (No, I didn't take any photos.)

Gives another meaning to "Plastic Fantastic."

25,000+ people watched the first flight of B787, I'm sure there're at lease 10 FM members in the crowd with cameras.

I like plastic, I bough my first glock 17 in 1983, I bough a Saturn in 1995, and soon I'll be flying in the new Boeing 787 plastic plane.

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:38 PM
merlinbk
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Possible world record

Wonder if its coming up here for resale... as lightly used.

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:50 PM
Booone0
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Possible world record

justruss wrote:
Mass won't change acceleration when falling under the force of gravity alone... but shape will outside a vacuum.

That's why in earth's atmosphere a brick and a feather dropped from the same height DON'T hit the ground simultaneously (or a penny and a brick, most likely), whereas in a vacuum the two will hit the ground simultaneously.

Yes but the terminal velocity does change proportionally with mass!

How cool. Definitely gives a a new perspective on the rebel. I knew those things were durable but this is impressive!

Dec 16, 2009 at 01:39 PM
Jos Tesseract
• • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Possible world record

takes a thrashin' and keeps on catchin' (pics)

Dec 16, 2009 at 02:30 PM
TermV

p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Possible world record

I wouldn't want that kind of weight strapped to the top of my head when I experience the shock of a parachute opening. Ouch. That would practically tear your head off!

Dec 16, 2009 at 02:47 PM
Calin Leucuta
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Possible world record

The shock is really not that bad, the parachute opens gradually and it slows you down over a couple of seconds or more. It was the unfortunate combination of loose helmet and the cameras not properly secured on the helmet plate.

Dec 16, 2009 at 03:11 PM
nks12345
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Possible world record

What is the terminal velocity of a Canon Rebel? XT or XS? Oh well I don't know that... AHHHH MONTY PYTHON! Great Story!

Dec 16, 2009 at 03:37 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Possible world record

Adam L wrote:
what saved it was it's weight.

If it was a 1 series, the impact would've created a mile-wide crater and the camera would be on it's way to the Core.

Or something along these lines....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

Dec 16, 2009 at 04:08 PM
CelticClicks

p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Possible world record

So explain to me exactly how it is that the Canon is filthy muddy grassy dirty and that smashed up cam corder is clean as a whistle.

Dec 16, 2009 at 04:58 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Possible world record

CelticClicks wrote:
So explain to me exactly how it is that the Canon is filthy muddy grassy dirty and that smashed up cam corder is clean as a whistle.

I would guess that the Canon hit the grass field and the Sony hit the concrete pavement.

Dec 16, 2009 at 05:04 PM
CelticClicks

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Possible world record

carlsbadbum wrote:
I would guess that the Canon hit the grass field and the Sony hit the concrete pavement.

It would be smashed and scratched to smithereens!

Dec 16, 2009 at 05:08 PM
Calin Leucuta
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Possible world record

The video cam hit the harder ground. The rebel landed on a softer, muddier terrain. It wouldn't survive a harder surface like a dry field or concrete.

Dec 16, 2009 at 05:54 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Possible world record

its all about dissipating the energy.
Probably made a Huge crater in the mud, which saved the camera. Same reason if I ever fall out of a plane, im going to land on my back in the muddiest, swampiest area I can get to. That or the roof of a big car!

Dec 16, 2009 at 06:21 PM
David Israel
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Possible world record

That is just plain awesome!

Dec 16, 2009 at 06:44 PM
CelticClicks

p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Possible world record

ya i'm not buying it

Dec 16, 2009 at 07:59 PM
vince
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Possible world record

I'm not buying it for two reasons.

First, with this kind of a heavy rig attached to your head, any little turbulence you encounter, specially before the chute has deployed, could literally break your neck. I know this because even a minor change like the material of your jacket or the helmet makes a big difference when you're diving. At least in my experience.

Second, it is a federal offense to be this careless in securing your rig. You could kill someone on the ground.

Nice try, but I don't buy it.

Dec 16, 2009 at 08:41 PM
Tattat

p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Possible world record

oh great! what a lovely story.
even a first grader won't buy that.

and i can't believe how many of you here do believe that it was a true story.

Here are the facts:

1. 3,000 ft. = 917 kilometers = 0.56 miles
2. the lcd for some reason did not even crack?
3. no dents or deep scratches (just to think that even if you drop a camera or anything into a body of water from a height of 3,000 feet would surely smash the object to pieces especially that he claims the velocity was 110 miles per hour, how much more if it landed on the ground?)
4. the dirt and the blades of grass looks like it's pasted into the camera like putting breadcrumbs on dough, wherein it's supposed to be embedded deep into the crevices and tiny gaps of the housing due to the impact of the fall.
5. the video camera has no dirt or grass at all, and if it landed on concrete or solid ground it should have been shattered to pieces and unrecognizable.
6. the damage on the video cam doesn't look like natural damage at all, it was properly opened using a screwdriver so the they can put it all back together after the show. just look at how the housing was carefully dismantled.

it's december man, not april fools.

Dec 16, 2009 at 08:54 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.