New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · imac monitor calibration

ChrisU

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · imac monitor calibration

I'm about to buy a new 27" imac.
Which calibrator should I buy and are there any specific issues calibrating a glossy screen.
Thanks

Nov 20, 2009 at 02:56 PM
joh400
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · imac monitor calibration

I would like to know as well.

One thing I did that helped was use the Mac calibration process and change the target gamma from Mac (1.8) to PC Standard (2.2). This helps.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:00 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · imac monitor calibration

Spyder3 series or i1 Display series, take your pick. No issues profiling a glossy screen.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:18 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · imac monitor calibration

Surprisingly, I had really good results On the cheap with a $50 Huey Pro. I did have to throw a blanket over the monitor during calibration though.

The huey pro doesn't "officially support" wide gamut monitors though, so I would lean towards Colin's recommendation.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:58 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · imac monitor calibration

There are several good calibrators available. Spyder3 Pro would be one good bet, and the software is very easy to use.

Mar 13, 2010 at 07:01 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · imac monitor calibration

matthewbmedia wrote:
Surprisingly, I had really good results On the cheap with a $50 Huey Pro. I did have to throw a blanket over the monitor during calibration though.

The huey pro doesn't "officially support" wide gamut monitors though, so I would lean towards Colin's recommendation.

I didn't think the iMac was wide gamut. Is it? Mine doesn't look wide gamut. It's certainly not on the Apple page that I can see.

Gordon

Mar 14, 2010 at 01:21 AM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · imac monitor calibration

No, I don't think it is either. It's the same panel as the Dell u2711 which is wide gamut, but I believe that is because of the CCFL backlight - I was making a point for "future proofing" a calibrator purchase, you'd probably want to buy one that supported wide gamut calibration. That being said, many claim that it is "unofficially comparable" to a wide gamut display:

To the op, an intersting read:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/lm-pigs/discuss/72157622842942448/

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · imac monitor calibration

its quite easy to see the gamut of any Mac monitor in 3D vs editing and printer color spaces using the Colorsync utility. Here are plots from my 24" DuoCore iMac:

http://super.nova.org/TP/ColorMang/iMacAdobesRGB.jpg

http://super.nova.org/TP/ColorMang/iMacHP8C.jpg

Select the profile you want in gray first. Then using the drop down menu under the triangle in the upper left corner select "hold for comparison" and then pick a second one. The images above are screen shots, but in the utility you can rotate the wireframes.

Seeing color spaces in 3D really makes it easy to understand how they relate to each other. The monitor is roughly the size of sRGB and much smaller than AdobeRGB. The gamut of my HP 8/C printer is much more saturated in some colors and much less saturated in others. Here's how the printer gamut fits into the AdobeRGB editing space...

http://super.nova.org/TP/ColorMang/AbobeHP8C.jpg

Almost fits, but not quite, because AdobeRGB was defined back in 1998 for offset printing not today's inkjets...

SWOP (Standard for Web Offset Printing) is a near perfect fit:

http://super.nova.org/TP/ColorMang/AbobevsSWOP.jpg

sRGB also fits inside of AdobeRGB:

http://super.nova.org/TP/ColorMang/sRGBinAbdobeRGB.jpg

The fact 8/C inkjets, even cheap $120 ones, are larger than AdobeRGB is why the larger ProPhotoRGB space is better for editing files for ink jet printing, but only if editing in 16 bit mode.

Mar 14, 2010 at 07:21 PM
mholdef
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · imac monitor calibration

Just out of curiosity but beyond brightness what does the control panel look like on the new 27" iMacs to change color settings and the rest ?

Mark

Aug 25, 2010 at 12:48 AM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · imac monitor calibration

ChrisU wrote:
Which calibrator should I buy and are there any specific issues calibrating a glossy screen.
Thanks

i've been using an Xrite ColorMunki photospectrometer with the CM software. A Spyder 3 Elite works well too.

Aug 25, 2010 at 09:18 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · imac monitor calibration

ChrisU wrote:
Thanks

I believe they are regualr gamut so anything should work.

DTP94b have the best instrument to instrument agreement among the non super high priced stuff.

I think the Apple might use LED backlight though, so most colorimeters won't be quite as good as on a CCFL, but they probably won't be tooo bad.

Aug 25, 2010 at 01:30 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · imac monitor calibration

I just used ColorThink 2.2 to inspect the ColorMunki built profile for my 27" iMac ( early 2010). Modeling using LAB, it is slightly larger than sRGB in all of the lighter and most of the midtone colros colors, and over all has a much larger gamut from Cyan over to red , particularly i the mid tone blues and magentas , and is also larger from cyan over to Green. it has a significantly larger saturated light green range as well. I calibrated for 6500K and a luminance level of 80.

My Spyder3 greeted profile has an even larger blue and magenta gamut but it is not as large in the opposite direction (yellow). the extreme of the green gamut were oriented slightly differently than the CM profile but are roughly the same distance from the L axis . It also produced a deeper black.

Aug 25, 2010 at 05:25 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.