1       2      
       4              46       47       end

Archive 2009 · what is '3d' ?

cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · what is '3d' ?

JimU wrote:
here's my 1 minute re-post processing job to try to create 3-d. i think i over did it with lowering the mid-tone levels.

before:

after:

Yep, looks more 3D to me.

Oct 29, 2009 at 08:29 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · what is '3d' ?

Alf Beharie wrote:
Heres a sample with really good 3D-ness taken with it...Its a reporter talking to the Mayor of Hanwell a Hanwell Carnival:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/48/sdim2435cs.jpg

I see no 3D in this photo, Alf.

Oct 29, 2009 at 08:30 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · what is '3d' ?

I hate to say it, but neither do I. There is some in the babyshot, but the flash is too flat (frontal) for more 3D I think.

Oct 29, 2009 at 09:30 AM
brainiac
[X]
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · what is '3d' ?

Lotusm50 wrote:
I for one think the lenses are playing a large role. I have 2 Canon lenses (70-200 and 300/4) and just don't use them because they consistently look flat and uninvolving to me.

Yes - I sold my 70-200 f2.8 L IS because of this. It's a great lens, and I can see why people like it, but the results are too flat and I got bored with it and stopped using it.

Oct 29, 2009 at 09:38 AM
brainiac
[X]
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · what is '3d' ?

cogitech wrote:

Me neither.

Oct 29, 2009 at 09:40 AM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · what is '3d' ?

That pictures from ZA135 definitely has 3-D look....IMHO.
Really nice.....

Oct 29, 2009 at 09:48 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · what is '3d' ?

carstenw wrote:
I hate to say it, but neither do I. There is some in the babyshot, but the flash is too flat (frontal) for more 3D I think.

I think that's the point. Even when the light is far from ideal, the right lens can still convey convey some convincing dimensionality. The ability to create 3-D images is not really about lighting, etc. (though it can certainly assist).

Oct 29, 2009 at 09:54 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · what is '3d' ?

brainiac wrote:
Me neither.

+1 The 2 people actually look more like flat cardboard cut-outs positioned in front of a background.

Oct 29, 2009 at 09:56 AM
JimU
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · what is '3d' ?

is it not bad practice to photograph monks?

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · what is '3d' ?

Lotusm50 wrote:
I think that's the point. Even when the light is far from ideal, the right lens can still convey convey some convincing dimensionality. The ability to create 3-D images is not really about lighting, etc. (though it can certainly assist).

I guess I would have to disagree with that statement in a major way. LIghting is to photography what air is to breathing! I do agree the lens plays a part but not necessarily more so than lighting and color.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:10 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · what is '3d' ?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I guess I would have to disagree with that statement in a major way. LIghting is to photography what air is to breathing! I do agree the lens plays a part but not necessarily more so than lighting and color.

Clearly good lighting can help effectively model a 3-dimensional form so that it doesn't look flat. it will give you the shadows and edges necessary for the eye to determine that the object pictured is 3-dimensional and not flat. No question about that.

But I think we are talking about something beyond simple modeling of a form to convey its form. We are talking about the quality in an image that make it look like it is now bound by the 2 dimensions of the paper (or screen). Like it is coming out of the page or that you can almost reach out and touch. A good lens can make a significant contribution to producing that illusion in a way that lighting alone can not. Some suggest the way Zeiss lenses differentiate color, texture, volume, spatial position, macro and mIcro contrast, etc contribute to this illusion. Honestly, I don't know how they do it, just that it is palpably visible to the eye. Like I said previously, good lighting can help with this, but ultimately is not responsible for it and will have a difficult time producing the illusion without a lens that can do it. In the multiple recent threads dealing with this issue, we have seen this illusion of palpable dimensionality produce under a wide range or lighting conditions -- good, bad and indifferent, artificial, natural and mixed. This just leads me to conclude that lighting is not the responsible factor for this 3-D-ness, merely a contributing or assisting one.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:27 AM
Cableaddict
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · what is '3d' ?

cogitech wrote:

I was just going to post the same thing. That image is shockingly TWO-d.

Of curse, we may all have different mental images about what the term means, but I think most of us feel it's a sense of a CURVING of the subject. It doesn't just mean low apertures and tons of background separation.

I also don't think it demands, as someone said earlier, a super-low f-stop. The CZ Planar pic I posted earlier is at f/2.8, and has PLENTY of 3D, especially if you see the original.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:31 AM
kidtexas
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · what is '3d' ?

Cableaddict wrote:
Of curse, we may all have different mental images about what the term means, but I think most of us feel it's a sense of a CURVING of the subject. It doesn't just mean low apertures and tons of background separation.

From my reading, there are a significant number of people who think it is differential focus, with the subject in focus and the background not. There is also the camp that you describe. Let's call it a 50/50 split

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM
debuggerus
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · what is '3d' ?

Am I the only one who doesn't see any 3D in any pics?
I must be 3D blind

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:50 AM

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · what is '3d' ?

this is 3D
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/829531

s

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM
debuggerus
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · what is '3d' ?

parsons wrote:
this is 3D
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/829531

s

holy crap, this is 3D. My 3D blindness is cured! Now my eyes hurt ... from crossing too much but it's worth it.

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · what is '3d' ?

check out johns other posts, they are most excellent

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:12 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · what is '3d' ?

Lotusm50 wrote:
Do you see field curvature in the ZA 135? It's got nice 3-D qualities as shown in your own images, yet from what I understand (and see in its MTF's) its got a pretty flat field.

You are absolutely right regarding the 135. But I have got some really good 3D shots taken with Zeiss wide angles where field curvature seems to play a role in this effect. No body knows exactly what is the "trick", it could be the other way around: Whatever Zeiss is doing to improve 3D may be worsening the field curvature in wide angle lenses. This is of course pure speculation from a clueless user

Oct 29, 2009 at 01:01 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · what is '3d' ?

JimU wrote:
is it not bad practice to photograph monks?

I don't think so. Where I live people (both Thais and foreigners) photograph monks all the time.

Oct 29, 2009 at 01:03 PM
Alf Beharie
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · what is '3d' ?

edwardkaraa wrote:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3610/3414654477_2c7d688aae_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3402/3415462340_e138601412_o.jpg

Great 3D samples!

Oct 29, 2009 at 03:10 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.