Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       end

Archive 2009 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Dawei Ye
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

The 200mm has about 2 stops more background blur than the 85L for same framing and same aperture (but same DOF at same aperture and framing)

Mar 19, 2010 at 09:25 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

tukhang: Buy the Kirk Handle and a replacement foot. That way you can support the rig at the CG and, when standing, put your elbow on your hip.

Sorry about any DOF error. I just consulted my iPhone app.

Mar 19, 2010 at 04:48 PM
Jon Uhler
• • • •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

jhartman wrote:
Jon,

I had CPS send me a 300/2.8 a year before trying the 200/2 and my main complaint about it (besides that I needed a winch to help me hold it) was the poor close focus range. Tight head shots were only possible using ether the smallest extension tube or the 1.4 extender. Also, for typical portraits, I like to have a conversation with the subject, and with the 300 we had to use walkie-talkies ;-)

I agree, however, that you should get a similar look with the 300. Post some of your experiments!

jh

Yeah,

I am sure photog to subject distance will be something to deal with. Just love the look of compressed images from a telephoto...and gods knows I can't afford the 200....

Mar 19, 2010 at 05:15 PM
schristie11
• • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Thanks for sharing!
Your photog skills shine!
Wow, this is a great example of why this lens is so fab!
The 135 f/2 helps me last until the day I can afford the 200 f/2 IS.
My 100-400 also holds me over until the 300 f/2.8 IS.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:07 AM
Robert Carr
• •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

SoundHound,
Can you elaborate more on the Kirk handle and foot ? I am interested in this. Any more info greatly appreciated.
Thx.

SoundHound wrote:
tukhang: Buy the Kirk Handle and a replacement foot. That way you can support the rig at the CG and, when standing, put your elbow on your hip.

Sorry about any DOF error. I just consulted my iPhone app.

Mar 20, 2010 at 03:33 AM
minatophase3
• • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Just curious, are you using the stands the come with the RP's that hold the flash and RP? I have been trying to find information about which softbox ring will accomodate these? I am going to be purchasing some PX's and will use at least one with a softbox and want to make sure the setup will fit properly.

Thanks,
Tim

Mar 24, 2010 at 07:10 PM
Sheldon Charro
• •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

jhartman:

Can you tell me which softboxes you're using most for your 580 EX II's? I have three 580 EX II's but have not been using softboxes with them. I use umbrellas - with both bounce and shoot through. I'd like to get some softboxes for flash, but am not sure which are the best quality/value-wise. There seems to be quite a gap in price between the brands, and I'm also not sure if I need more than one or which size to get. Care to shed some light on this for me?

Apr 08, 2010 at 06:10 AM
mb_320l
• •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Sheldon Charro wrote:
jhartman:

Can you tell me which softboxes you're using most for your 580 EX II's?

Yes, jhartman, please.

Thanks

Apr 08, 2010 at 06:24 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Thank you for posting the pictures, Canon should pay you for advertising the 200/2.
Also, thanks for posting some nuggets of knowledge which in this day and age seems rare.
Oh btw I think you have a small following.

Apr 08, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pjbuehner
• • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Wonderful photos but don't let anybody be fooled. What really is shining through is your mastery of lighting, mood, pose, and composition.
Not that the 200F2 isn't an amazing lens but that is hardly the primary thing making the photos this good.
What would one choose to get the best results:

1. Having you behind a digital rebel and a kit lens

2. Giving an inexperienced photographer a 1DsIII and a 200 F2

Thanks for sharing.

Apr 08, 2010 at 12:50 PM
form
• • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Obviously you know your light pretty well and I like about 85% of your poses, but I do not like the eye enhancement where you have noticeably increased brightness of the sclera (to the point of almost uniform whiteness) and saturation of the iris. The skin smoothing is consistent.

Since 580EX flashes were used with softbox, I assume you used a ND filter, shady/overcast outdoor areas, or high speed sync?

Apr 08, 2010 at 12:55 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

jhartman wrote:
I confess to bending to commercial interests, here - my clients love this look. It's not obvious at all in a large portrait, where the effect is more subtle than these oversharpened Web images. As I've said before, beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder. ;-)
jh

Well said.

Apr 08, 2010 at 01:33 PM
form
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

How are you matching ambient light color with the 580EX flashes? There is usually some difference in white balance - minor, but present.

Apr 08, 2010 at 01:35 PM
jhartman
• •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

"How are you matching ambient light color with the 580EX flashes? There is usually some difference in white balance - minor, but present. "

I think this issue is more theoretical than actual. I've never seen it in my work. The camera WB is set to flash, and ambient light isn't too far from it. I think the eye tends to look at and believe the skin tones of the highlighted portrion of the face. Of course, if you're working in shade right next to grass in the open sun, the reflection back up into the shadows could present a problem, but I watch for that. Same with brightly colored walls or buildings. GIGO.

jh

Apr 08, 2010 at 01:50 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

It sucks! It totally sucks I can't afford this lens!!! Haha

Apr 08, 2010 at 02:01 PM
ultrapix
• • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Thank you so much for sharing stunning pictures and great experience

Apr 08, 2010 at 07:35 PM
mhuebner
• •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

The lens is only part of the success in these images - excellent composition, good model prep, and really, really good lighting appear to be just as critical. (Did I mention really good lighting!) All of these combine to make some outstanding images. Great job!!!!
Mike

Apr 09, 2010 at 04:18 AM
       8       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password