Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2009 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

brucem48
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Superior Senior Portraiture. Stand alone images..Regards..Bruce

Jul 10, 2009 at 04:17 AM
sachman
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

wow this an amazing set. Great glass in great hands make for stunning results!

Jul 10, 2009 at 04:19 AM
davenfl
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

These are just top notch. Absolutely love the first two of the beautiful blond gal and handsome young man. Got to have some extremely happy clients and parents here.

Dave

Jul 10, 2009 at 04:47 AM
abam
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

neat portraits. i like the black and white one personally. looks like lanny barbie.

Jul 10, 2009 at 04:50 AM
ComSoup
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

These are amazing. Great job, and thanks for explaining your lighting technique.

Jul 10, 2009 at 05:08 AM
paulhodson
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

If you get bored with the lens I will pay the postage for you to mail it to me . Better still - you can bring it and show me how to use it.

Jul 10, 2009 at 05:20 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Great set. Thanks for posting these, John. Shows why you've been in business for all those years: it just doesn't get any better than this.

Jul 10, 2009 at 07:50 AM
John Power
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

I want to know what the lighting was many of these. A 580 triggered with PWs?

And surely you must have the new 17 TSE on your "to buy" list...

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:10 AM
jhartman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

"Some togs might argue "why not just use an 85L and get the same look", which has some credence.. f/2 of a head-n-shoulders portrait will have the same DOF for each lens"

Of course, this is false, because the 85 gives a very different look from the 200 with the subject sized the same in both images. The 200 flattens the perspective much more - an extreme closeup portrait with the 85 will show a much more bulbous nose than the 200. Additionally, the longer lens compresses the background, so it's much easier if you want to crop something out (like the sky) or just want more of that 'telephoto' look, such as those in this series that were taken in the alleys, streets and corridors.

"I want to know what the lighting was many of these. A 580 triggered with PWs?"

John, most of these were taken with two 580s on stands; one shooting through a small 16x22 LiteDome softbox used as the main light (hence the rectangular catchlights in the eyes), and the other used as a kicker or hairlight with no modifier. Occasionally I'll use a third light as a kicker from the other side (see the football player and the runner). These lights are all set on ETTL, triggered by an ST-E2 with RadioPoppers all around.

"And surely you must have the new 17 TSE on your "to buy" list..."

I've already sold my 24 TS-E in anticipation of the new one...are they being shipped yet in any numbers?

jh

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:34 PM
roanjohnnyc
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

WOW!! Just WOW!! The lens helps, but you got some skills!!

Jul 10, 2009 at 01:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

T-Bird

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

JH,
Incredible shots! Makes me think that if I go buy that lens I will get pics like yours. Then I come to my senses and realize it's 20% equipment and 80% the person behind the camera.

Regarding your focusing you mention you use the joy stick to focus. I am assuming you are on a tripod and in "Live View" and manually focus on a spot using the 5x or 10x zoom, no?

Thanks,

Jim

Jul 10, 2009 at 01:31 PM
jhartman
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

"Then I come to my senses and realize it's 20% equipment and 80% the person behind the camera."

More like 5% - 95%

"I am assuming you are on a tripod and in "Live View" and manually focus on a spot using the 5x or 10x zoom, no?"

No. Handheld, autofocus set to single spot, using the joystick to navigate the 19 focus points inside the viewfinder. I move the focus point to the eye, rather than center focus and recompose. Because I never shoot with a tripod, the chance for error is greatly reduced this way.

Jul 10, 2009 at 01:53 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

The photos are lovely!! but the 100% crop shown is kind of disappointing, looks very blurry and mottled and water colour like

Jul 10, 2009 at 02:12 PM
4honor
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Wow dang... Sometimes I wish my 70-200 @ 200mm can do that... Loved your close up face shots!

Jul 10, 2009 at 02:33 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Really nice work!

Dawei Ye wrote:
The photos are lovely!! but the 100% crop shown is kind of disappointing, looks very blurry and mottled and water colour like

What crops are you looking at?

Jul 10, 2009 at 02:49 PM
lorriman
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Some of these kids look computer generated

Jul 10, 2009 at 02:59 PM
superthumbs
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

You have an amazing skill here. These shots are very inspiring. I do have a question on your lighting though. How did you get the background to underexpose at f/2? Were you shooting late in the day, or using high-speed sync? Even in the shade @ ISO 100 I could never get flash sync speeds at f/2. I would greatly appreciate any info.

Jul 10, 2009 at 03:10 PM
jhartman
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

"How did you get the background to underexpose at f/2?"

That's the magic of high speed sync. Check out the exif data on each photo. Most were shot well above the 1/250 sync limit. With HSS you can dial in any amount of underexposure for the ambient light for complete control of the background. Note that in most of these, the main light is barely obvious. That's because there's generally no more than 1 stop difference between the flash and the ambient. So the ambient light is the 'fill', and your flash becaomes an infinitely positionable main light - no more waiting for the 'sweet' light. It's now wherever you want it to be.

jh

Jul 10, 2009 at 03:17 PM
jdlphoto

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Great set of portraits! Can you elaborate on your 2-3 light setup? What kind of softbox on the main light? And how are you aiming the hard accent light(s). Thanks!

Jul 10, 2009 at 03:24 PM
superthumbs
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

jhartman wrote:
"How did you get the background to underexpose at f/2?"

That's the magic of high speed sync. Check out the exif data on each photo. Most were shot well above the 1/250 sync limit. With HSS you can dial in any amount of underexposure for the ambient light for complete control of the background. Note that in most of these, the main light is barely obvious. That's because there's generally no more than 1 stop difference between the flash and the ambient. So the ambient light is the 'fill', and your flash becaomes an infinitely positionable main light - no more
...Show more

Thanks! I need to rent an STE2 and start experimenting.

I did notice that the main light looked very natural. Even the hard light kickers were not "hard" and created a nice sense of depth. Great set!

Jul 10, 2009 at 03:33 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password