Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2009 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

tanglefoot47 wrote:
Awesome but when I saw your heading my first thought was senior citizens I guess when you get my age you forget about any other seniors

- No offense, I believe this senior group is more pleasing to the eyes. Don't worry, we could be in the same age group, too .

My compliment to the OP - Those are some great shots!

Jul 09, 2009 at 11:16 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

AGeoJO wrote:
- No offense, I believe this senior group is more pleasing to the eyes. Don't worry, we could be in the same age group, too .

My compliment to the OP - Those are some great shots!

I am totally convinced they are much much more pleasing to look at

Jul 09, 2009 at 11:25 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

The lens does amazing things with the background, but you are a master portrait photographer. Wonderful skill, amazing lighting work, such natural work with the poses and the settings. Truly stunning work. This is why I tell people who like my pics, that I might be a decent photographer. When I'm having a good day, I might go so far as to say I'm approaching being a good photographer, but I am nowhere NEAR a great photographer. You, sir, are a great photographer.

Edited on Jul 09, 2009 at 11:26 PM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2009 at 11:26 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Grantland wrote:
wow.

if i buy this lens will my pics look this good?

+1

Now these pics are awsome, but I would love to see the same pics taken with a 135/2, using the same lightning and post proc. Admit though those 1:1 crops are gorgeous!

How large must the picture be to see the difference between a 135 and 200?

Jul 09, 2009 at 11:26 PM
jhartman
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

"How large must the picture be to see the difference between a 135 and 200?"

Thanks all for the nice comments. I feel incredibly blessed and privileged to have been able to earn my way through life in this profession for the past 36 years. This truly is the Golden Age of photography.

WebDog, the 135 and 200/2.8 are great lenses, don't get me wrong. Where the 200/2 shines is in the AF, in my opinion. I use spot focus, and move the focus point around with the joystick, so I don't focus and recompose. But the 200/2 has way more keepers, to the point where almost every image is sharp as a tack (my focus point is always the near eye, and the eyelashes of the near eye if it's a closeup). The 135 and 200/2.8 have many keepers, but they're nowhere near as accurate, percentage-wise. For me, when I do this all day long, that additional accuracy is very well worth the extra weight, fuss factor and expense. Additionally, the bokeh on the 200/2 is visually better than the others.

I did tests on all three lenses with the same subject, and the 200/2 is noticeably sharper. But without it to compare, the 135 and 200/2.8 are both excellent lenses.

jh

Jul 09, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Hanh
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

It is the photographer's talent for sure! Looking at the DOF and OOF high-lights, my guess is that most of these pictures are not taken at f2.

Thank you for sharing!

Jul 09, 2009 at 11:50 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

my guess is that most of these pictures are not taken at f2.
I think most all of them were! It's where ya put yer feet

Jul 09, 2009 at 11:57 PM
jhartman
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

I turned on the exif info so you can see that indeed they were all shot wide open (I had a 1.4x on the runner, so it shows as f/2.8).

jh

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:45 AM
SteveS
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Wow Wow Wow! Awesome work.

Jul 10, 2009 at 01:03 AM
jkermani
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

I'm sure the seniors are thrilled with their photos. How do you get them to relax? I'm sure it helps to have a long lens and not be so close to them.

Jul 10, 2009 at 01:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Masahara
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

I agree with everyone elses comments. Would it be possible to see some of the side by sides you did with the 135 and the 200 ? Does anyone want to buy a slightly used kidney (you know, so I can make a down payment on this lens)

Jul 10, 2009 at 01:14 AM
hobbit
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Hi John. Great images. Really stunning work that I'm sure your clients are thrilled with.

I noticed you also own the 85L. I was wondering how would you compare these two lenses? Also, how do you see yourself using each one in your portrait work? Thanks.

Jul 10, 2009 at 01:28 AM
erichard
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Are you exposing the background 1-2 stops under and then chimping the eTTL or manual flash via remote triggers? I guess eTTL wouldn't work so reliably with the softbox and in outdoor light. And any general preferred ratios between the flashes? Softbox is 28in or so?

One last question, did they get to pick the setting, or did you scout out first and ask them which they preferred?

Very nice collection. Razor thin DOF is hard to nail so frequently, given you were getting so many keepers hand held.

Jul 10, 2009 at 01:35 AM
ineedakamera
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

wow... that is sharp! and bokeh to die for. and talent to match. truly amazing portraits!

Jul 10, 2009 at 02:12 AM
jhartman
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

"Would it be possible to see some of the side by sides you did with the 135 and the 200 ?"

I may try do some critical side-by-sides over the weekend and post.

"I noticed you also own the 85L. I was wondering how would you compare these two lenses? Also, how do you see yourself using each one in your portrait work?"

I use the 85 mainly for groups. It does not focus closely enough for my style of work, plus I like the longer throw of the 135 and 200 for individual portraits. The 85 at any f/stop is deadly, but at f/8 you can count not only the eyelashes, but the flecks of dust on them ;-) Of course, it's all a matter of choice and preference. But even when I shot with Hasselblads my lens of choice for portraits was the 250/4 F, so I guess I'm a longer lens guy at heart.

"Are you exposing the background 1-2 stops under and then chimping the eTTL or manual flash via remote triggers? I guess eTTL wouldn't work so reliably with the softbox and in outdoor light. And any general preferred ratios between the flashes? Softbox is 28in or so?"

I set the ambient exposure compensation to -1/3 to -2/3 depending on subject and clothing. Flash compensation is set to +1/3 to +2/3, depending on desired effect. Everything is shot with ETTL, auto everything, triggered by an ST-E2. All lights have the same output, so the ratio is 1:1. I don't want to think about my gear when I'm interacting with a client. Softbox is a 16x22 LiteDome, and the ETTL works fine with it. RadioPoppers allow placement of the lights anywhere.

A picture of one of my setups can be found here, Page #4 Post #9.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/765147/3#7136848

"One last question, did they get to pick the setting, or did you scout out first and ask them which they preferred?"

I have a variety of locations that I use. The seniors can design their sessions based on the styles of images they like (studio, outdoor, park, urban, etc.). No sense wasting time shooting what they don't want.

jh

Jul 10, 2009 at 02:29 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Spectacular. You made a believer out of me here with these breath taking photographs.

Jul 10, 2009 at 03:50 AM
erichard
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

Thanks, it's nice to see how people are getting good results.

Jul 10, 2009 at 04:03 AM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

You should post these in the "show your 200/2 shots" thread. I like the work. I am just starting to crack into the senior portrait market, and I hope to get shots like these. The lighting helps too.

Some togs might argue "why not just use an 85L and get the same look", which has some credence.. f/2 of a head-n-shoulders portrait will have the same DOF for each lens (since the subject FOV is identical) but for me and for weddings the IS for handheld shots is the deal-winner for this lens over the 85L and 135L for me.

Funny how the seniors in particular are freaked out by the lens

Jul 10, 2009 at 04:08 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

You really put the 200 to good work.

Jul 10, 2009 at 04:10 AM
Leslie168
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Senior Portraits with 200/2 wide open.

just awesome jobs, JH.
thanks for share..

Jul 10, 2009 at 04:14 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password