New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2009 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

VPell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

And Dave Hill is straight up, undeniably DOPE. Period.

Jun 25, 2009 at 02:21 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

Is it just me or is his new site very laggy? I'm on DSL and using Firefox.

BTW Rian, I'm watching the video and it seems pretty clear as to what's part of the original shot and what's composited. What are you implying that the video reveals? I know his "look" is mostly there in the lighting, but the final shots are composites and all that jazz.

Jun 25, 2009 at 02:24 PM
Chris Langer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

VPell wrote:
And Dave Hill is straight up, undeniably DOPE. Period.

+1

I love Dave Hill! He has some really solid stuff.

Jun 25, 2009 at 02:33 PM
Ryanthedino
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

yeah they are composites for sure, but every single element in his photos is actually a photo he took. Every sky, cloud, wave bird and coin. its 100% original.

Earth shattering.

Jun 25, 2009 at 02:35 PM
Ryanthedino
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

Andrew Welsh wrote:
pretty much dave hill's stuff but bigger budget (more elaborate sets)... the main difference is he's gotten away from the city.

he moved from nashville to Los Angeles. haha thats not really out of the city!

Jun 25, 2009 at 02:39 PM
patrickphoto
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

sell your equipment fast.

Jun 25, 2009 at 02:41 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

RianFlynn wrote:
yeah they are composites for sure, but every single element in his photos is actually a photo he took. Every sky, cloud, wave bird and coin. its 100% original.

Earth shattering.

Oh of course. I don't think anyone doubted that... Adventure Girl is definitely a great series though.

Seeing his stuff really makes me want to take on something big. I rarely do compositing and all that, but it'd be fun to try.

Jun 25, 2009 at 02:43 PM
Canon ball
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

The stuff in that gallery is amazing. It shows massive photography skills, and incredible PS skills, I really enjoyed the link, thanks. Don't sell your camera though, your stuff is also half decent!

Jun 25, 2009 at 02:55 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

BTW Rian, does he do a lot of the PS work himself?

Jun 25, 2009 at 02:56 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

finster1018 wrote:
before you put this guy on a high pedestal, think that every photographer shows you only his best stuff, never the stuff he trashes. So look at it from this perspective, rate his trash vs yours if he cares to share it. Then you can better gauge his skills and yours as well.

Sorry but his makes no sense to me. Look at the results not the trash. Do you look in the trash of an author to see how many pages she threw away? Or look at a sculpture to see how much stone is on the floor....?

They guy pretty much perfected the "Dave Hill' look. Anybody who tries to copy/emulate/homage/follow it is going to have a tough hill to climb.

Jun 25, 2009 at 03:09 PM
VPell
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

I don't know about you guys but I only watch the deleted scenes of movies.

Jun 25, 2009 at 03:12 PM
pilles
• • • • •
[X]
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

What you envious souls seem to be missing is that his lighting (and that's not PS) and the posing and motivation of his models is top of the line. Without those two things, all the PS in the world would fall flat. You can master those, at least, and improve immensely, even by copying his lighting. But certainly do take a close look at his models. They act their parts with academy award skill!

Jun 25, 2009 at 06:28 PM
syn4ptz
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

pilles wrote:
What you envious souls seem to be missing is that his lighting (and that's not PS) and the posing and motivation of his models is top of the line. Without those two things, all the PS in the world would fall flat. You can master those, at least, and improve immensely, even by copying his lighting. But certainly do take a close look at his models. They act their parts with academy award skill!

too make this even more obvious - take a look at his personal portraits section, none of his typical PS style and they are very well done

by the way, you have to realize for what kind of use his images are being targeted. The images on that first page are obviously for a commercial application, and I could easily see many of them in some sort of print advertisement (well except for the college football one, but that may have been more of an art director problem). If you take a look at his personal section, you can see that his "pure" photography is top notch.

Jun 25, 2009 at 07:06 PM
jodo
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

I met Dave Hill last summer when I bought a tripod from him. A day before he moved back to LA. He was very open, a friendly man. He took time to talk with me about the medium format film shooting he was doing as personal work. He was loving it. Especially because it was a way to take a break from all the post processing.
His warmth and generosity are certainly prime reasons for his success.

Look at his Nick Sabin - Alabama football shots. Great photos no? Assignment work for Fortune (or Forbes?) I recognized it on the newstand as his work before I knew it was his.

He clearly has an artistic style he applies in commercial work. Hell, it's called the Dave Hill look. Bigger than life. Cinematic. Want an image that pops and grabs attention for your project? Who you gonna call? The pro. Dave Hill.

Jun 25, 2009 at 07:17 PM
evexphile
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

Honestly, there is some stuff that is AMAZING...but a lot of stuff that I found boring. And I *always* find your images interesting.

Take that how you want.

Jun 25, 2009 at 07:21 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

Todd Adamson wrote:
His stuff is phenomenal, call it photography, call it digital art, call it whatever you want. But that's just a ridiculous statement.

You obviously have a lot of talent, Rian, and whatever you choose to do with it will be strong and worthy, I am sure. And it's awesome that you've had the chance to work with DH. But it won't be until you start to move in your own direction (which I'm convinced you will) that you realize your potential.

+1 Well said.

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:58 PM
Bob YILDIRAN

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

Photography or PP artistry? Take a look at Rarindra Prakarsa's work who employs humble means (Rebel XT) and an amateur (!) staff but still fascinating results.

http://photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=2231437&include=all&unlimit=1

However staring a series of over-processed pictures, no matter who was behind the camera, often leaves me with an impression similar to too much sugar in my tea.

Jun 25, 2009 at 11:43 PM
cre55107
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

I'd love to see the SOOC shots!

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM
Sass Quatch
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

They look like photo-cartoons.

Jun 26, 2009 at 02:37 AM
DJoy

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Damnit. I'm selling my camera. Dave hill updated

I think the pictures are excellent, some are a little too processed for my personal tastes but I still enjoy them nonetheless, my personal favourite is of Jenny M. on the boards in the main gallery, which I think is quite wonderful.

In terms of constructive criticism I hope Mr Hill and his web-designer will accept the following in the spirit in which it is given. The great photography and image processing skills shown are let down by some poor technology choices with regards the new website, and I feel his talents deserve a better chance to be seen.

The website author has chosen to implement a proprietary technology, namely Flash for the main guts of the page, seemingly purely to achieve the effect of a simple gallery with images fading in and out. The result of this is that those lovely high res images do not appear to be cached by the browser, and so each time you navigate away from a gallery and come back, it reloads the entire image set again from scratch. On the main gallery page there are some 35 images loaded...

The effect of this is that it appears to be creating huge load on the webserver and the site is quite unresponsive, and on many occasions will not fully load at all, even if left for a couple of hours! I imagine the increased bandwidth costs from this method will also be significantly higher.

There appears to be no real reason to use Flash on this site as the same effects created would be easily achievable in Javascript and would ensure the images were cached by the browser. Not using flash would also allow the site to be viewed by people using platforms where Flash is not available.

I'm afraid this appears to be an occasion where technology has been used purely for the sake of using it, and in this case it is causing a detrimental effect on the site experience and excluding some potential viewers. By using more standard tools you could make this website, it would look absolutely identical, and operate faster, reduce bandwidth needs and provide a better user experience.

I hope that's constructive and you perceive it as well meant, as it was. The images were a pleasure to look at, but the process of looking at them was painful.

Jun 26, 2009 at 06:27 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.