1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2009 · 5D/FD85L combo

JimBuchanan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · 5D/FD85L combo

Wow, I'm impressed.

Yep, a lot of the FD backs are very similiar.

Very interesting application of the laser sign cutting machine.

Your right on the money with the FD spacer thickness. There is a .020" lip on the outside that acts as a race for the aperture ring.

To get true concentricity of the bolt patterns, I turn the pieces.

The FD aperture "fingers" are really time consumming and vary from lens to lens.

How about using that sign laser machine to develop a technique for cutting about 2mm off the leading edge of a 5D mirror Then, I can think about getting another FD85L.

Jun 27, 2009 at 02:53 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · 5D/FD85L combo

Andrew,
how do you like your contax N 85? How does it compare to the FD 85 or 85L?

Jun 27, 2009 at 03:22 PM
pengland
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · 5D/FD85L combo

JimBuchanan wrote:
Wow, I'm impressed.

Yep, a lot of the FD backs are very similiar.

Very interesting application of the laser sign cutting machine.

Your right on the money with the FD spacer thickness. There is a .020" lip on the outside that acts as a race for the aperture ring.

To get true concentricity of the bolt patterns, I turn the pieces.

The FD aperture "fingers" are really time consumming and vary from lens to lens.

How about using that sign laser machine to develop a technique for cutting about 2mm off the leading edge of a 5D mirror Then, I can think about getting
...Show more

Believe me...I thought of mirror cutting and tried cutting glass. It will etch it....but won't cut it. I suspect that multiple passes would cause glass to shatter.

After marking the screw holes I like to put the adapter on the lathe to make a light "following groove" on the pitch circle. I then use a sharp center punch at the "cross" that is formed to ensure that the drill bit starts at the right spot.

Jun 27, 2009 at 03:36 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · 5D/FD85L combo

Having not seen a ZA 135 before, It's hard for me to understand from the photos what rotates to control the aperture.

Jun 27, 2009 at 05:47 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · 5D/FD85L combo

In the 2nd picture you can see the aperture lever sticking up to the right of the orange dot.
That aperture lever is sticking up from a metal ring which rotates around the rear element and controls the aperture.
I need to create some metal arm which connects to this lever and brings it to the outside of the lens so I can adjust the aperture from outside the lens. Something like Mark must have done on his version 2 nikon G-eos adapter.Prefer not to have to cut any slots in side of lens wall.

Jun 27, 2009 at 06:22 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · 5D/FD85L combo

That's a tough one. So, there is no aperture ring at all, due to it being controlled by the camera. The last photo with EF back, does it give infinity? If there was some leeway and infinity adjustment screws, a spacer say 2mm thick shaped like a "C" could be sandwiched in between the lens body and EF back. Then, an extension of the aperture fin out thru the opening could control the aperture in a non-detent manner. Make sense?

What is the orange ring made out of?

Jun 27, 2009 at 06:32 PM
pengland
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · 5D/FD85L combo

Because of not wanting to create an opening in the side wall I believe Jim's suggestion is your only option. Given enough space you might be able to fit a "donor" or specially machined and knurled aperture ring in between the body and adapter. This ring would not only need thickness to be able to operate with your fingertips, but also would likely need to have a shallow depth to clear your adapter screws. I figure you would need about 3mm as an absolute minimum thickness. I don't believe there would be enough adjustment for infinity in the lens to accommodate for this much added space.

The other option would be to machine a spigot or notch radially around the body of the lens where the adapter sits against it. This would provide room for the thickness of an aperture ring and the connection to the lever would still be made through a much narrower gap between the adapter and lens body. It would also give the aperture ring a proper running groove which could be equipped with a hole to house a tiny spring and ball bearing for an aperture ring detent. You would also need to keep in mind that full range of rotation would be limited by the mounting screws. In other words, you would need to plan the connection such that you would get full aperture control within the radial distance between adjacent mounting screws. It is also very unlikely that any previous aperture scale on a donor ring would have any meaningful correlation to your actual aperture position. You could make your own though.

One more thing that might need to be considered is the provision for mechanical limits. Most aperture control mechanisms provide a "hard" limit in the wide open and fully stopped down position in order to prevent damage to the less robust aperture linkage components. This provision may already be built in but you need to check and provide your own if there isn't anything there now.

Jun 27, 2009 at 07:20 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · 5D/FD85L combo

The Sony ZA mount register distance is only 2mm larger than the Canon.
So not alot of room to play with. Especially since the orignial Sony mount plate actually fits inside of the lens wall and attaches to mount plates so that the top of the sony mount plate is level with the orange top of the the wall. I used a cheap non-pro fotodiox nikon-eos adapter and removed the extra plate to make it thinner and then drilled new holes to match the ZA mount. The new adapter sits on top of the orange wall and I get perfect infinity focus. I did it this way because I couldn't find any metal spacers with that diameter of the wall to fit inside and then attach the new mount to it. Either way it looks like I would have to carve a slot into the top of the wall in the small region where the aperture lever travels back in forth. Yes, the distance it travels is small and similar to my 14-24 G. There are hard stops for max and min aperture values. The other part is how do I fashion some new mini aperture button to go on the outside and be snug enough not to change values.

Jun 27, 2009 at 08:26 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · 5D/FD85L combo

Minolta/Sony A mount register is 44.5mm, which is 0.5mm longer than Canon EF

Jun 27, 2009 at 09:03 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · 5D/FD85L combo

Thanks Mawz, that's correct, I remembered wrong.

Jun 27, 2009 at 09:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.