FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Archive 2009 · 5D/FD85L combo

Ed Sawyer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · 5D/FD85L combo

I think the FD 85/1.2s have always been around at least $500+, at least in the times I've bothered looking. Combine that with the cost/labor of conversion and you are basically in EF 85/1.2L mk 1 territory.

To me, the AF and no-mount-issues of the EF outweigh the coolness-factor and smaller size of the FD 85L. If I didn't have an EF 85/1.2L, or I had a T-90 or EOS-1N RS, maybe I'd put more effort into finding and trying an 85 1.2FD. As it is though, I have too many lenses in that range already, and not enough time to use them.

Cool that the FD 85L is such a decent lens though! Wish the conversion was easier.

-Ed

Jun 26, 2009 at 09:36 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · 5D/FD85L combo

Ed Sawyer wrote:
Cool that the FD 85L is such a decent lens though! Wish the conversion was easier.
-Ed

I wish there were no mirror issues.

The double whammy on using the FD85L or FD50L on the 5D, is the equally required shortened mirror. Not only is the profile high, but that rear element doesn't move away from the mirror like any other lens.

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:19 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · 5D/FD85L combo

If you don't need true infinity, the rear element does not need to be positioned so far beyond the EF mount. When I did mine, I just positioned it about as far as my Rokkor 58/1.2 rear element when set to infinity, knowing that my shaved mirror could clear it that way.

So, a mirror shave is required, but not more so than for a Rokkor 58/1.2 in my experience, unless you simply must have true infinity.

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:27 AM
Leon Noel
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · 5D/FD85L combo

Many thanks Paul, so glad you are back but I haven't greeted you properly .

Really appreciate your guidance when I need it with my conversion, which I will! I haven't taken the lens apart so I don't know just yet, but mainly it would revolve around how to fabricate metal pieces to control the aperture after the FD mount is replaced. That's my biggest concern, perhaps we will exchange PMs.

This is unmolested 100% wide open crop when I held the lens against the camera mouth:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/Blknoel/_MG_1475.jpg

FF

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q69/Blknoel/_MG_1475_FF.jpg

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:30 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · 5D/FD85L combo

Looks nice and sharp right on the focal plane. I think you'll see even better results when the conversion is done, because the floating element positioning will more accurately match the focus distance. I assume this was shot with the lens set to infinity, which means the juxtaposition of the focusing group and the rear element is not ideal for close focusing. In other words; once the conversion is complete a shot like this will require the focusing group to be in the furthest position away from the rear element rather than right next to it.

So, it'll only get better. I think you'll see less LoCA once it is closer to ideal as well.

Yes, the aperture mechanism is the biggest challenge and that's where I can save you a ton of time and thinking. Also, there are a couple of things regarding the rear element, the internal shroud, etc. that you might want to know.

Mr. Paul

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:43 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · 5D/FD85L combo

Leon, I'll contribute a couple data points concerning the FD85L, for your pending project.

Here are the dynamics of the rear element relationship to the main assembly. Move the rear element away from the mirror/sensor and the main group needs to move closer to the mirror/sensor to get true infinity. Move the rear element away from the mirror/sensor enough, and the 2 will touch, or at least their housings will touch. Also, and this is my opinion only, after a certain manufacturing tolerance, optical correctness will suffer and could degrade IQ.

If you have to have a shaved 5D mirror anyway, why not duplicate the lens placements for all the lens is capable of, including infinity focus. At f/4 that lens is sharp and contrasty, corner to corner at infinity.

If your able to mount the rear element in a smaller diameter housing, then an AF confirm chip can be mounted on the back.

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:00 AM
wjlapier
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · 5D/FD85L combo

Something I'm wondering about. If I used a Nikon to EOS adapter, would my lens still have issue with the 5D mirror? What is the required thickness of the adapter?

I'd be willing to send my lens to a known well respected FM member to test. It's just sitting here unused anyway!

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · 5D/FD85L combo

Bill,

Since your lens was tuned for true infinity in F mount, I suspect that the rear element will protrude too much for an unshaved 5D mirror, even with the EOS-F adapter in place.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · 5D/FD85L combo

Hey Paul,

Good to see you back! I have to thank you for the following: 58, 85/1.7 and a couple 24 vfc's

Its all good, did you ever get the 40mm Minolta converted in an acceptable way?

Andrew

Jun 27, 2009 at 08:01 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · 5D/FD85L combo

Cheers Andrew!

The 45/2?

No, I haven't re-attempted that one yet. The pancake thing lost its appeal when I realized that a 5D body (or even xxD body) is simply not compact, even with just the body cap on. On the other hand, I do remember being encouraged by the samples I took with the 45/2 and 45mm fits nicely between 28 and 58.

My latest conversion to EOS was the FD 35-105/3.5. One of my favourite lenses when I shot an AE-1 P. Unfortunately, the lens does not do so well in the digital world. I think this copy that I converted must be a really bad copy, because it is nearly useless. The good news is, it is certainly convertible, with full manual aperture control, etc. I'm getting better at FDs now.

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:48 AM
helimat
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · 5D/FD85L combo

cogitech wrote:
The Rokkor 85/1.7?

It's a very nice lens as far as slow 85s go

Seriously, I really liked mine ,but this SSC Asph. is just soooo good.

I love my Rokkor 85/1.7, but I suppose it ain't f/1.2 now is it...

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:53 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · 5D/FD85L combo

No, it simply isn't.

But, as far as "standard" 85s go, I think it is one of the best. The colour and overall drawing style is incredible and the copy I had was very sharp right from wide-open through f16. I wish my EF 85/1.8 performed like the Rokkor 85/1.7. I only sold the Rokkor because 2 85s are enough for me and it seemed to make sense to keep the SSC Asph. for MF and the EF 85/1.8 for AF.

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:59 AM
helimat
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · 5D/FD85L combo

cogitech wrote:
No, it simply isn't.

But, as far as "standard" 85s go, I think it is one of the best. The colour and overall drawing style is incredible and the copy I had was very sharp right from wide-open through f16. I wish my EF 85/1.8 performed like the Rokkor 85/1.7.

I concur, having had both the EF 85/1.8 and the Rokkor 85/1.7 there is no comparison, especially wide open. And as well the Rokkor was close to half the price of the EF, already converted. But now all this 85L/SSC talk has me thinking: 1.7 just ain't fast enough...

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:04 AM
debuggerus
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · 5D/FD85L combo

just another opinion... if I had to pick one 85/1.7-2, I'd take my smc takumar 85/1.8. However, each of them is quite different it's hard to really take one over another.
Lately, I've been taking out the MD 85mm f2 more often when walking out the street. It's small and so sharp wide open.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · 5D/FD85L combo

cogitech wrote:
Cheers Andrew!

The 45/2?

No, I haven't re-attempted that one yet. The pancake thing lost its appeal when I realized that a 5D body (or even xxD body) is simply not compact, even with just the body cap on. On the other hand, I do remember being encouraged by the samples I took with the 45/2 and 45mm fits nicely between 28 and 58.

My latest conversion to EOS was the FD 35-105/3.5. One of my favourite lenses when I shot an AE-1 P. Unfortunately, the lens does not do so well in the digital world. I think this copy that I
...Show more

I had an Ae-1P too, great little camera. Quite a bit of the Delhi shots on my site were taken with it back in 2000. The 35-105 was a legendary lens in the FD world, I am surprised that yours is not up to snuff. Years ago, I sold all of my FD lenses and now I regret it... The FD 17mm would be a prime target for conversion - hint, hint...

The 85mm SSC was one special lens though, congrats on the conversion, I am wondering what you have up your sleeve next...

Cheers Andrew

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:24 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · 5D/FD85L combo

Andrew Gough wrote:
Hey Paul,

Good to see you back! I have to thank you for the following: 58, 85/1.7 and a couple 24 vfc's

Its all good, did you ever get the 40mm Minolta converted in an acceptable way?

Andrew

Andrew, I think that was me who performed all those conversions for you.

Lots of 85-90 possibilites here for me to consider, as I'm not going to regrind my brand new 5D mirror for just one lens. Thought about the 'lux 80, Rokkor 85, converting the FD85/1.8, even the minolta 85/2.0. APO R90 cron is too expensive.

One of my first lens conversions was the FD 17mm. I think the digital sensors were too much for it in the corners.

BTW, since I'm not going forward with another short mirror mod, this perfectly converted FD50L, I have just finished, will be for sale, if anyone is interested.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3560/3665772782_df27195f4b_o.jpg

Edited on Jun 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:44 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · 5D/FD85L combo

Thanks, Andrew. Yes, don't tell my Rokkor 58/1.2, but the 85 SSC has become my favourite lens (for now). From everything I have seen so far, it is better than the EF.

Yeah, the 35-105 results are very disappointing. The lens only cost me $50 shipped, so I guess I know why now. I'll likely pick up another copy at some point, now that I know I can convert them.

I almost had a 24-35/3.5 SSC Asph. and 24/1.4 SSC Asph. up my sleeve, but they disappeared from KEH before I could snap them up. The prices were so low on them I am still kicking myself for not being fast enough. I delayed a week and they were gone with the wind.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:52 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · 5D/FD85L combo

JimBuchanan wrote:
Andrew, I think that was me who performed all those conversions for you.

I was a bit confused a bit by the thank you, as well. i just assumed I had inspired Andrew in some way to do the conversions himself, or that he had improvised with my 58/1.2 guide.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · 5D/FD85L combo

cogitech wrote:
I was a bit confused a bit by the thank you, as well. i just assumed I had inspired Andrew in some way to do the conversions himself, or that he had improvised with my 58/1.2 guide.

Jim, did the conversions for me on the 85's & the 24's. I originally converted a 58mm myself using your directions, recently I purchased the Jims conversion for the 58's that I own, because it is a cleaner approach. I am planning to use the old 58mm conversion that I did on the 40mm if I can get it to work. I was attributing my thanks to you for the resulting additions to my collection and the associated cost...

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM
pengland
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · 5D/FD85L combo

Jim, I just finished converting one of each of MC Rokkor-X 85 f1.7, the FD85/1.8 SSC, and the Minolta 85/2.0. They are all great and each have something unique to their drawing style. The rear element retention ring on the FD85 SSC has to be cut down to clear a stock 5D mirror.
I have developed a "non-machining" method for nFD lense conversion. I found that the 50mm f1.2, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f2 and the 100mm f2.8 have essentially identical mounting configurations. I have developed precise templates and spacers in AutoCAD and get them reproduced on a laser sign cutting machine. The screw template is laid on the back of an M42 to EOS adapter and its elliptical hole is aligned with the corresponding adapter locking pin hole. Then a marker is used to mark screw position for exact placement and concentric positioning so that the lens is positioned correctly to the camera and the adapter holes line up exactly with the stock mounting holes (3 or 4 depending on the lens). The adapter spacer is made of the same rigid, durable plastic sign stock and has holes that align with the screw holes but in a mirrored orientation to the screw template. The thickness of the spacer is 1.33mm and puts the lens well within the infinity stop positioning range. Usually it is only necessary to back it off a few millimeters when tuning to infinity. Using this method, I converted three nFD lenses in about 2hrs (many hours went into the template development) once the initial design was developed. The spacer is black plastic and the laser cutting process gives the outer diameter the same kind of knurled look as the EOS adapter. As the outer diameter is exactly the same diameter as the EOS adapter it gives a very nice finished look.
The time to convert is mostly that which is required to gain aperture control (I have developed a couple of quick, reliable steps there too), convert the stock holes to M2 and to drill and countersink the holes in the EOS adapter.
I have also developed similar screw positioning templates for the FD SSC series, FL series as well as for the Minolta 50mm f1.2. I plan to develop more to cover the Rokkor series.

JimBuchanan wrote:
Lots of 85-90 possibilites here for me to consider, as I'm not going to regrind my brand new 5D mirror for just one lens. Thought about the 'lux 80, Rokkor 85, converting the FD85/1.8, even the minolta 85/2.0. APO R90 cron is too expensive.

One of my first lens conversions was the FD 17mm. I think the digital sensors were too much for it in the corners.

BTW, since I'm not going forward with another short mirror mod, this perfectly converted FD50L, I have just finished, will be for sale, if anyone is interested.

Jun 27, 2009 at 02:09 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.