Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2009 · Home Coming

Varina
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Home Coming

This is a shot from our last trip to Tennessee. I generally shoot broader landscapes - and I tend to avoid man-made objects... but sometimes the light and the location really make an impression. I loved the first light on this little cabin - and I loved the detail in the wood and metal on the gate. I had to pull my tripod up as high as it would go - and stand on my toes - to get the composition just as I wanted it.

http://www.photographybyvarina.com/photos/tennessee_6111.jpg

What do you all think? All comments and critiques are more than welcome. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

Varina Patel

May 22, 2009 at 04:52 PM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Home Coming

What, you don't tote a step ladder around with you??
I can see why you liked the scene. Beautiful lighting indeed. And there are a few of us who love old barns/shacks/cabins, so this fits very nicely indeed

Barry

May 22, 2009 at 04:56 PM
Adrian Cray
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Home Coming

Lovely light and a fine mixture of interesting textures , Varina . I know that feeling of wanting to grow a bit to get the picture ! I think I would try and level the cabin a bit , providing you don't have to crop the picture to do so .

May 22, 2009 at 05:00 PM
Varina
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Home Coming

Hi Barry - yeah, Jay won't carry the step ladder for me. I don't see why - what a bum. We're en route to Olympic National Park today (sitting in an airport now) - so more broad vistas coming right up. Can't wait to get there.

May 22, 2009 at 05:02 PM
Varina
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Home Coming

Adrian Cray wrote:
Lovely light and a fine mixture of interesting textures , Varina . I know that feeling of wanting to grow a bit to get the picture ! I think I would try and level the cabin a bit , providing you don't have to crop the picture to do so .

Hmm - maybe you're right, Adrian. I did consider making the change, but I kinda like the effect - it makes the cabin seem just a little bit decrepit.

May 22, 2009 at 05:04 PM
Phantom Knight
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Home Coming

Varina wrote:
Hi Barry - yeah, Jay won't carry the step ladder for me. I don't see why - what a bum. We're en route to Olympic National Park today (sitting in an airport now) - so more broad vistas coming right up. Can't wait to get there.

I was too busy carrying my 5D MKII....

-Jay

May 22, 2009 at 05:52 PM
Varina
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Home Coming

Varina wrote:

Phantom Knight wrote:
I was too busy carrying my 5D MKII....

-Jay

Hey! Quit yer braggin'! Bum!

May 22, 2009 at 06:01 PM
hugh
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Home Coming

Hello Varina,

Fine color and an effective composition. I'm with Adrian on trying to level the cabin, at least to see how it works? Anyway, good work.

hugh

May 22, 2009 at 07:05 PM
JnJMac

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Home Coming

You probably already know this, but in case you don't...fyi the Hood Canal Bridge is under construction for a few more weeks. You'll have to drive around through Belfair or Shelton.

May 22, 2009 at 07:08 PM
edemtbs
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Home Coming

Very nice, I love old fences and gates!

Thanks for sharing!

Ed

May 22, 2009 at 07:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alichty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Home Coming

Amazing little cabin - and it looks like its still in use. Is this some sort of park display or is it really occupied? Rather quaint scene and the light on it is quite nice. The angle is kind of funky and almost makes it look like the cabin is bigger at the top than the bottom. Sort of hobbit construction look

Alan

May 22, 2009 at 07:51 PM
pearlstreet
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Home Coming

I have the same problem with my husband, Varina. He did build me a shooting stand on the back of our truck, but the wind here can be a problem with it. I wish we could lock the suspension so the truck would be rigid when I need it to be.

Love the little cabin and the warm light and lovely colors.

Sharon

May 22, 2009 at 08:04 PM
Varina
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Home Coming

alichty wrote:
Amazing little cabin - and it looks like its still in use. Is this some sort of park display or is it really occupied? Rather quaint scene and the light on it is quite nice. The angle is kind of funky and almost makes it look like the cabin is bigger at the top than the bottom. Sort of hobbit construction look

Alan

The cabin is in use - you're right, Alan. The groundskeeper lives there. We chose to stay outside the gate in case he was inside sleeping. We didn't want to disturb him.
Thanks!

May 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM
Varina
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Home Coming

JnJMac wrote:
You probably already know this, but in case you don't...fyi the Hood Canal Bridge is under construction for a few more weeks. You'll have to drive around through Belfair or Shelton.

Thanks! We did know about the bridge construction. We drove South, and are stayed in Elma last night. Now - on to Olympic NP! Can't wait to get out there again!

Thanks for all your kind words, everyone! I appreciate the suggestions!

May 23, 2009 at 12:42 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Home Coming

Nice shot. I am going to try to come to the HDR seminar in Independence. I am from Valley View just down the hill. I admire your work a lot. It will be great to learn from someone with so much experience.
Doug

May 23, 2009 at 12:50 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Home Coming

Like the angle.

Mark

May 23, 2009 at 07:45 PM
Tim ONeill
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Home Coming

Nicely done Varina. I like the angle including the gate and cabin. The divergent lines of the fencepost and the cabin wall is somehow pleasing to my eye. a bit of a storybook 'scape. Lovely light.

May 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Home Coming

Hey Varina,

Very cool shot! As to the level of the cabin, I think Tim stated it well about the divergent lines between the cabin and the fence post, they really work here. Love the light in this, and very creative on how you got that fence post in the shot.

Good luck in the Olympics, I look forward to seeing what you come away with.

Jim

May 23, 2009 at 10:35 PM
Varina
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Home Coming

hardlyboring wrote:
Nice shot. I am going to try to come to the HDR seminar in Independence. I am from Valley View just down the hill. I admire your work a lot. It will be great to learn from someone with so much experience.
Doug

Thanks, Doug! We'll look forward to seeing you there! It should be a fun class!

May 24, 2009 at 12:30 AM
Bandi
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Home Coming

Very pleasing scene Varina. Love the use of the fence and the cabin sure is a beauty!

Anthony

May 24, 2009 at 01:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password