New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2009 · Contax N 50mm

CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Contax N 50mm

It's been a couple of months now since conurus announced the availability of the 50mm conversion. Has anyone any information about the converted lens and how it performs?

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:18 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Contax N 50mm

They are revising their firmware and the conversions are waiting for it to be completed. My understanding is that he is adding functionality to the firmware that Canon hasn't yet implemented.

My N 50mm is sitting there waiting, so I won't know until sometime in May, and I don't think that there are any converted N 50mm's in circulation yet (except for maybe a demo unit or 2).

Patience, my friend. All good things come to those who wait. ;-)

Apr 17, 2009 at 07:15 AM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Contax N 50mm

There are a total of 4 of these in the world with the existing firmware version. I am currently working on a new firmware which permits direct aperture control in movie mode on a 5D mark II and will start shipping the 50's in volume in May.

I really want to find time to post some images to help with your decision but I really don't have time. It is more important for me to fulfil my commitments to existing orders in the shortest possible time before attracting new orders.

Bo-Ming
conurus

Apr 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Contax N 50mm

Is it true that Contax N 50/1.4 is basically same optical design as C/Y 50/1.4?

Apr 17, 2009 at 02:15 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Contax N 50mm

I don't know. They are similar but one of my customers who has both reported improved bokeh. Anyhow here is a sample shot at f/1.4.

http://support.conurus.com/files/img_7497_118.jpg

May 07, 2009 at 12:20 AM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Contax N 50mm

Paul Yi wrote:
Is it true that Contax N 50/1.4 is basically same optical design as C/Y 50/1.4?

I think, "basically" is correct. Consensus is that little was done to the optical design, but don't really know if there was some small or subtle tweaks done or not (glass formulations, etc.). There are, however, significant improvements in barrel design and coatings that will improve overall performance (flare, internal reflections, ghosting, etc.) compared to the c/y (or RTS) version of the lens. The aperture mechanism and shape is also a little different and that may contribute to the perception of improved bokeh that cyberstudio mentions.

May 07, 2009 at 05:53 AM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Contax N 50mm

The design is very close and the mtf's are virtually identical. According to the Zeiss literature the N mount version used " high refractive glass types". The minimum focussing distance was also reduced slightly with the N version by 5cm so there must have been some change.

May 07, 2009 at 05:23 PM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Contax N 50mm

This lens is fantastic, almost no CA wide open, beautiful Bokeh, and Zeiss 3D

Here are a couple of samples 1DS3 wide open:

http://www.planetwidephoto.com/_images/FM/PLW46332.jpg

http://www.planetwidephoto.com/_images/FM/PLW46334.jpg

May 16, 2009 at 10:05 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Contax N 50mm

Thanks Andrew. I'm glad now I wasn't patient as Lotus recommended. The 50/1.4N that I've bought from pascal just arrived at conurus for conversion

May 17, 2009 at 11:24 AM
pascal03
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Contax N 50mm

Pondering the true meaning of "sellers remorse" as more and more pictures are begining to show up

May 17, 2009 at 02:53 PM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Contax N 50mm

andrew, the bokeh in the 2nd shot looks promising, canīt wati to get my 50 back from bo ming!!!!

May 17, 2009 at 03:43 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Contax N 50mm

Simple question:

I just received a Contax N 50 1.4 lens and would like to check out the aperture blades are working properly. When I change the aperture ring setting nothing is happening with aperture blades as I assume the aperture is stopped down automatically electornically with the camera. Is that right? Any simple way to check the aperture blades before converting the lens?

Jun 13, 2009 at 04:15 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Contax N 50mm

wayne seltzer wrote:
Simple question:

I just received a Contax N 50 1.4 lens and would like to check out the aperture blades are working properly. When I change the aperture ring setting nothing is happening with aperture blades as I assume the aperture is stopped down automatically electornically with the camera. Is that right? Any simple way to check the aperture blades before converting the lens?

That is correct. The aperture is electronically-controlled and the aperture ring is in fact an encoder. You'd need a N body to check a non-converted N lens for aperture function.

Jun 13, 2009 at 06:44 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Contax N 50mm

Thanks Mawz.
Why even have an aperture ring, couldn't they control that through the camera just like camera's today work?

Jun 13, 2009 at 06:54 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Contax N 50mm

wayne seltzer wrote:
Thanks Mawz.
Why even have an aperture ring, couldn't they control that through the camera just like camera's today work?

A lot of people like the aperture ring, the ergonomics are arguably better than the dual-wheel setups. The PanaLeica 4/3rds lenses have the same setup and it works very well.

Jun 14, 2009 at 07:21 AM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Contax N 50mm

The design philosophy of the Contax N system is to make a fully automated camera system which operates with manual-focus-era ergnonomics. Given that backdrop, fly-by-wire is the natural outcome. In aperture-priority and manual exposure modes, the aperture ring of the lens controls the aperture on a Contax N body. In shutter-priority and program modes, the aperture ring is ignored.

If you remember the older Nikon camera bodies, you have to set the lens to the orange aperture, or to 'A' for the older Pentax camera bodies, in order to use shutter-priority and programmed exposures. It is because their aperture is mechanically linked to the aperture ring, but not fly-by-wire. Both of them has since then ditched the aperture ring altogether for the newest lenses and require older lenses to be permanently set to the 'A' or orange position to operate on the latest digital camera bodies. (Not counting the special support for K lenses without any 'A' positions.)

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:59 PM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Contax N 50mm

wayne seltzer wrote:
Simple question:

Wayne,

Its like a Canon lens, - fully electronic. To see the blades you will have to mount it on a Contax body and do a depth of field preview, or wait until the conversion is done.

Jun 15, 2009 at 07:09 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Contax N 50mm

Just mailed my N 50 1.4 to Conurus this morning!
Cosmetically the lens is in almost mint shape, just hope the mechanical is good too.

Andrew,

How about posting a few more amazing N 50 1.4 shots while I wait for conversion?

Jun 15, 2009 at 01:59 PM
CharChar
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Contax N 50mm

I am using my Contax N 50mm more than another lens these days. In fact, I am selling my other lens.

Jun 15, 2009 at 09:48 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Contax N 50mm

CharChar wrote:
I am using my Contax N 50mm more than another lens these days. In fact, I am selling my other lens.

Can you post some more pictures with this lens wide-open?
How's it compare to your C/Y 50 1.4?

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.