Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2009 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

Chaz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

...you don't have to?

Wow - look at this photo of Half Dome taken from the Central Valley of California 70 miles away!!

http:/ /http://yosemiteblog.com/2009/02/20/photo-of-the-day-on-the-outside-looking-in-by-tony-immoos/

I need to rent that $20million Nikon telephoto lens that pops up in forums from time-to-time.

Feb 23, 2009 at 01:16 AM
maxi-moe
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

That's an amazing pic...

Feb 23, 2009 at 01:49 AM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

No way! I've been going to Yos for more years than most of you have been alive. I worked up here in the 50s and I feel free to state that this is a fraudulent photo. There are too many tall mountains to the west of the valley. It can't happen from ground level.

Feb 23, 2009 at 03:20 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

70 miles 400mm lens? I think not.

Feb 23, 2009 at 03:35 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

Hmmm.... I can't see that happening either, where is Glacier Point? I would think it would be blocking it from that angle...

Feb 23, 2009 at 05:57 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

well 70 miles in a straight line or driving distance?

Feb 23, 2009 at 06:09 AM
wbrad
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

The write up makes it all sound feasable but of course I'm in no position to know either way. It'd be interesting if anyone in the area could confirm (or bust) this.

Feb 23, 2009 at 06:27 AM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #8 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

Henry W wrote: No way! I've been going to Yos for more years than most of you have been alive. I worked up here in the 50s and I feel free to state that this is a fraudulent photo. There are too many tall mountains to the west of the valley. It can't happen from ground level.

Here is the link to the newspaper story that caused Tony Immoos to go on his quest. The story has a photo that looks legit at first glance.

http:/ /http://pattersonirrigator.com/content/view/2919/43/

Now I'm really curious and will want to drive to the several locations mentioned to see for myself.

Feb 23, 2009 at 06:28 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

Sunny Sra wrote:
well 70 miles in a straight line or driving distance?

As the crow files. The rock just isn't that big.

Feb 23, 2009 at 07:05 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

Hummmmm from this link http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/auto_tour/yosemite_valley.html

V-19 HALF DOME. Dominating the upper end of the valley is Half Dome, hallmark of Yosemite National Park. It marks the junction of
Half Dome
[click to enlarge]
Half Dome
Tenaya Creek (left) and the Merced River (right). Rising nearly one mile above the valley floor it is one of the most majestic rock forms known. On clear days it can be seen from places along Highway 99 in the San Joaquin Valley. Half Dome was climbed for the first time in October 1875 by George G. Anderson. Today hikers reach its 13-acre top in summer by a trail up the far (east) side with the aid of cables. The likeness of a great face on the 2000 foot high sheer surface gives rise to an interesting Indian legend, told in “Yosemite Indians.” (Take left-hand turn at intersection.)

Feb 23, 2009 at 07:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

I've seen it discussed that Half Dome can be seen (or was in the past) from Mt. Diablo in the Bay area. I fussed around on some of the mapping programs but wasn't sure I was satisfied it could be done. You'd need to look up the Merced River "canyon" and I'd think with the right programs or some time with the right maps, you could do it. This picture seems "off" but telephoto lens compression can do some odd seeming things to distant objects.

Feb 23, 2009 at 08:01 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

I've seen it discussed that Half Dome can be seen (or was in the past) from Mt. Diablo in the Bay area. I fussed around on some of the mapping programs but wasn't sure I was satisfied it could be done. You'd need to look up the Merced River "canyon" and I'd think with the right programs or some time with the right maps, you could do it. This picture seems "off" but telephoto lens compression can do some odd seeming things to distant objects.

Feb 23, 2009 at 08:03 AM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

There is no way this is legit. Sorry, it's a complete fabrication. Complete BS. At the very least it's shot in Foresta and superimposed. I can't believe people on his blog are swallowing this crap.

Feb 23, 2009 at 09:36 AM
rangeoflight

p.1 #14 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

Half Dome is not visible from the Central Valley.

I have heard that Mt. Lassen is visible from Mt. Diablo and I have seen Mt. Shasta from Mt. Tamalpais however that rarely occurs.

Feb 23, 2009 at 04:10 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

300 mm can do this
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/740122/0?keyword=pikes,peak#6723731

400mm should be able to do what he says in that blog

Feb 23, 2009 at 04:25 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #16 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

I am now 90% convinced that Half Dome can be seen from the Central Valley. The other 10% will come if and when I see it with my own eyes through the viewfinder.

Why do I think so?

1. The photo in the Patterson Irrigator newspaper seems plausible.

2. I took out a AAA map of California and drew a straight line from both Patterson (where the newspaper photog shot from) and Denair (where Immoos shot from) to Half Dome.

3. Patterson and Denair stand at 102' and 124' above sea level repsectively while Half Dome rises to 8836'.

4. Looking at topo maps there does not seem to be anything tall enough or close enough (in between Denair and Half Dome) to obscure a view into the upper reaches of the Sierra. Draw your basic right triangle for reference.

5. At approx. 67 miles from Denair to Half Dome, the earth's curvature is not severe enought at that short distance to put Half Dome below the horizon.

6. And we all know from experience (just look at Sunny's link above) at what telephoto compression does to distant objects - think birds flying in front of a full moon- at 400 or 500mm.

So, I will want to drive to the Denair area to try and see for myself at some point in the near future.

Where are the holes in my thinking?

Feb 23, 2009 at 04:55 PM
Corporeal
• • •
p.1 #17 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

haha... i love a good controversy...

thinking of Tunnel View, the size and surroundings of Half Dome in this image don't seem accurate...but he seems convincing, not sure...

Feb 23, 2009 at 04:57 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

At an elevation of 8836 feet, Half Dome could be visible out to about 110 nautical miles, that's w/o adjusting for elevation of the viewing point (in the valley). Given reasonable weather conditions, one can see snowy peaks from 99 driving up or down the valley. Half Dome is not obscured from the area of the Rostrum so it becomes a matter of determining if one can see out the Merced river canyon area sufficiently or if the curves or intervening hills obscure it. Aside from driving slowly along some of the area roads and knowing where you are, where Half Dome is (hardly a problem with gps) on a good visibility day, it could be worked out from available info. There are tools available for use with Google Earth which will provide an elevation profile between two points. Google Earth I've got, the "tools," I don't.

Feb 23, 2009 at 04:57 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #19 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

Corporeal wrote:
thinking of Tunnel View, the size and surroundings of Half Dome in this image don't seem accurate...but he seems convincing, not sure...

Some more food-for-thought: From Tunnel View Half Dome seems distant and tiny relative to El Cap, yet when you drive farther away to the Turtleback Dome area Half Dome seemingly looms much larger.

Another of those things that make me go "Hmmmm."

Feb 23, 2009 at 05:08 PM
Corporeal
• • •
p.1 #20 · Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)

Chaz wrote:
Some more food-for-thought: From Tunnel View Half Dome seems distant and tiny relative to El Cap, yet when you drive farther away to the Turtleback Dome area Half Dome seemingly looms much larger.

Another of those things that make me go "Hmmmm."

Yes, thats what i was thinking, from Tunnel View Half Dome doesn't seem to rise much higher than El Cap or surrounding cliffs. In that photo its sticks out way above anything immediately surrounding it.

Feb 23, 2009 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password