FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2008 · Blaze of Color

gordon l
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Blaze of Color

Varina wrote:
This is Camden Hills State Park in Maine. We weren't expecting any clouds that evening, so we were very happy to see these. I took this shot as the sun touched the horizon. I wanted to capture the light shining through the leaves, the soft color in the sky, and the flare from the sun.
Varina Patel

Mission accomplished. All these things are present in your shot and you have done a very nice job and very balanced and beautiful shot.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:29 PM
bob.tullis

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Blaze of Color

I have the benefit of not knowing of your legendary status, so I'm rather impressed with this. Well tamed DR, great backlight on the foliage, and the sky to set it off.

I have two or three locations that I try to depict in this manner (similar type views). The first visits were atmospheric serendipity, but I wasn't as in command of the camera. Subsequent visits are never as special, though.

A truly uncommon depiction of a somewhat common scene.

Oct 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Blaze of Color

Looks pretty darn good to me! But you have set a high standard and you are the only one to 'blame' for that!

V.

Oct 15, 2008 at 01:36 PM
Varina
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Blaze of Color

You know what? You guys are entirely too nice to me. You're all going to give me a swelled head!

Oct 15, 2008 at 03:22 PM
wilrobking
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Blaze of Color

Varina, I employ the same techniques you mentioned (exposure blendning and gnd filters). Not sure if my results come out as well as yours though.

The only thing that has be second guessing this image is the ray of light casting into the sky. It would seem the light ray would go behind the clouds but it's in front of them. Did you do some dodging to create or exaggerate that ray of light?

Oct 15, 2008 at 03:44 PM
bob.tullis

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Blaze of Color

wilrobking wrote:
Varina, I employ the same techniques you mentioned (exposure blendning and gnd filters). Not sure if my results come out as well as yours though.

The only thing that has be second guessing this image is the ray of light casting into the sky. It would seem the light ray would go behind the clouds but it's in front of them. Did you do some dodging to create or exaggerate that ray of light?

I'd venture to guess that that ray moved, and this moment just caught it forward of the upper clouds. Depending on the movement of the gap in the clouds that caused it, or the sun's setting movement, that ray could have shortly been behind the upper clouds, or panned from left to right, if it stayed visible at all.

Oct 15, 2008 at 05:05 PM
realkuhl
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Blaze of Color

This works for me - love the fall color in the close bushes and the flare is just enough to be dramatic but not too intrusive. Well done, V !!

Oct 15, 2008 at 05:21 PM
nburwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Blaze of Color

Composition, color, and exposure are spot on, Varina. Very nice work!

-Nick

Oct 15, 2008 at 08:23 PM
Varina
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Blaze of Color

wilrobking wrote:

Good call, Will. I did dodge the ray of light in order to accentuate the brightness. However, in some cases, light rays do touch clouds in this way. In fact, the ray in the original RAW photo does exactly that - though it's more difficult to see. It depends upon the angle of the sun, where the clouds are located, and how much moisture is in the air. Perhaps if that ray stands out to you, I should reduce the effect somewhat. I try to keep my images looking as natural as possible - but that can be difficult when you are combining exposures. The last thing I want is for that ray to command too much attention.

Thanks!
Varina

Oct 16, 2008 at 07:26 AM
wilrobking
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Blaze of Color

Varina wrote:
Good call, Will. I did dodge the ray of light in order to accentuate the brightness. However, in some cases, light rays do touch clouds in this way. In fact, the ray in the original RAW photo does exactly that - though it's more difficult to see. It depends upon the angle of the sun, where the clouds are located, and how much moisture is in the air. Perhaps if that ray stands out to you, I should reduce the effect somewhat. I try to keep my images looking as natural as possible - but that can be difficult when
...Show more

Varina, the only reason I noticed it is because I do the exact same thing. As you know, often times our cameras fail to capture the full splendid beauty of dramatic light so we're forced to take further measures to ensure we present an image that comes close to what we saw with your eyes. Just to be clear, it doesn't look artificial. I was just thrown off because I would think the ray of light would be behind the cloud but I've seen light do some amazing things. I vote to keep it in.

From what I have seen of your work....and Jay's, I think we share a common goal and we have similar styles of editing. Not to say that my work even comes close to what you and Jay produce but we want to capture the scene as we saw it with our eyes and we often have to take extra measures to ensure we are doing the scene justice while still keeping it authentic and believable.

I highly respect your work and your honesty.

Oct 16, 2008 at 08:43 AM
Varina
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Blaze of Color

wilrobking wrote:
Varina, the only reason I noticed it is because I do the exact same thing. As you know, often times our cameras fail to capture the full splendid beauty of dramatic light so we're forced to take further measures to ensure we present an image that comes close to what we saw with your eyes. Just to be clear, it doesn't look artificial. I was just thrown off because I would think the ray of light would be behind the cloud but I've seen light do some amazing things. I vote to keep it in.

From what I have seen
...Show more

Thanks Will. I do try to represent the scene as it really was - as you say... at least in most cases. However, photography is an art - and I feel that as an artist I have license to do whatever I choose with my work. Some prefer more saturated colors or higher contrast... I prefer to try to represent Nature as it is... but any artistic representation is valid. It comes down to personal preference. I do think it's always best to be honest. My work is what it is. I'll keep trying to present Nature as I see it - that's what I love to do.

Good luck with your own work! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM
wilrobking
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Blaze of Color

Varina wrote:
Thanks Will. I do try to represent the scene as it really was - as you say... at least in most cases. However, photography is an art - and I feel that as an artist I have license to do whatever I choose with my work. Some prefer more saturated colors or higher contrast... I prefer to try to represent Nature as it is... but any artistic representation is valid. It comes down to personal preference. I do think it's always best to be honest. My work is what it is. I'll keep trying to present Nature as I
...Show more

Very well stated. I couldn't agree more.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:00 AM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Blaze of Color

Varina,

Love the colors a ton and the flare balances beautifully against the opposing tree on the far left side.

Perhaps it's the slope of the foreground, but I feel that the horizon is a hare bit off. It looks like it's leaning to the left by the smallest bit.

Daniel

Oct 16, 2008 at 02:24 PM
RGS65
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Blaze of Color

Nice work. A well thought out photograph.

Oct 16, 2008 at 10:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.