New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              313      
       315              639       640       end

Post your recent film shots!

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.314 #1 · p.314 #1 · Post your recent film shots!

KatieInTexas wrote:
Bessa R4A and either the 28 1.9 or the 21/4 ... can't remember! Shot on ooooold Fuji Superia film - dev and scan Precision Camera in Austin. No edits by me.

these are BEAUTIFUL!

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:53 PM
corposant
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.314 #2 · p.314 #2 · Post your recent film shots!

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:39 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.314 #3 · p.314 #3 · Post your recent film shots!

Thanks!

A few more: same film, but in a very old Minolta XG1 and 58 1.4 lens...

horid focus and SS, but I just loved this image ... my caged crazy boy

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:40 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.314 #4 · p.314 #4 · Post your recent film shots!

Camera info? If I were to guess ... I'd say Mamiya 7 - and what looks to be a 43mm (but you sold it!) What film though?

corposant wrote:
http://corposant.smugmug.com/North-America/San-DiegoOrange-County/Salton-Sea/i-bQCT7cD/0/XL/89170018-XL.jpg

Mar 21, 2013 at 06:42 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.314 #5 · p.314 #5 · Post your recent film shots!

KatieInTexas wrote:
Camera info? If I were to guess ... I'd say Mamiya 7 - and what looks to be a 43mm (but you sold it!) What film though?

It was with the 80mm lens - film was (very expired) E100SW.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.314 #6 · p.314 #6 · Post your recent film shots!

Not a new shot but a new scan. Walkin' Jim Stoltz died a couple of years ago of cancer, but not before making a name taking long, really long walks, walks that lasted from weeks to years. Appalachian Trail, a 5000 mile cross country trek in the 1970s. When he married Leslie in the Grand Canyon, they both walked back to Montana together. Jim was a singer and a songwriter and great teller of stories, including his personal encounter with grizzlies. I met him in Big Sky, where he lived and shot some photos for him. I'm still surprised how damned nice Plus-X really was. Even if it wasn't the absolute sharpest film, it had beautiful tonality. Don't remember much about the details other than it was an RZ. Probably a 90mm RB lens and most likely a Norman 400B (or two of them) into a Balcar umbrella.

Walkin' Jim Stoltz, Big Sky Montana, 1991

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:32 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.314 #7 · p.314 #7 · Post your recent film shots!

Peter, fabulous shot and back story. It's images like these that remind me WHY I shoot film. This is so genuine and perfect.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:09 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.314 #8 · p.314 #8 · Post your recent film shots!

Katie - It's also why I've started making a conscious effort to shoot film in areas where I had stopped. When I go back and look at my favorite images over the last thirty years or so, most of them were shot on film and most of them on Plus-X. For most commercial work, it's almost impossible to shoot film these days as no one wants to wait or pay for processing and scanning, which I understand, but I'm trying to slip in a bit here and there, whenever possible.

Whenever I see LaGrange, Tx, I think of the classic Willis Alan Ramsey song Northeast Texas Woman, which mentions that town among several others.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:52 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.314 #9 · p.314 #9 · Post your recent film shots!

Peter Figen wrote:
Not a new shot but a new scan. Walkin' Jim Stoltz died a couple of years ago of cancer, but not before making a name taking long, really long walks, walks that lasted from weeks to years. Appalachian Trail, a 5000 mile cross country trek in the 1970s. When he married Leslie in the Grand Canyon, they both walked back to Montana together. Jim was a singer and a songwriter and great teller of stories, including his personal encounter with grizzlies. I met him in Big Sky, where he lived and shot some photos for him. I'm still surprised
...Show more

What a wonderful setting, and story to go with an excellent photo! I will now find out more about this soul! You know I have a group of semi famous singing cousins Los Lonely Boys, that I would enjoy shooting, and per chance they will be performing in my city soon, I wonder if I could muster up the courage to ask them to photograph them! I mean its not their status but the insecurity that I have with photography, and now I am going with just film!

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:14 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.314 #10 · p.314 #10 · Post your recent film shots!

Los Lonely Boys are fantastic. If they're you're cousins that's a great way to get access. They will surely not say no. Just be prepared to go a fantastic job and don't go in with any expectations of whether they might actually any images.

I've done this a few times, but never with any relatives. Back in 1991 I contacted the management company for Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt and Robert Earl Keen, sent them a promo package and they agreed to let me photograph them near Fallon, Nv., which turned out to be an eight hour drive from L.A. Out of the one day in the Nevada desert, I ended up taking what is probably the most iconic image of Townes Van Zandt out there today. He used it until his death, but what really came out of it was a lasting relationship and personal friendship with Robert Earl Keen. So far I've done five of his CD covers including the last two, which I'm particularly happy with.

I also did the same thing with bluegrass legend Ralph Stanley and banjo virtuoso Pat Cloud. I spoke with Dwight Yoakum on the phone but could never coordinate a shoot. Oh well.

The bottom line is that you have nothing to lose by asking and potentially a whole lot to gain. If they like what you do, you could get hired the next time or referred for other projects. The shot I posted of Jim was taken when I was in Montana shooting a couple other local Bozeman area bands. This just happened because I was in the area and we both had time.

Mar 22, 2013 at 03:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.314 #11 · p.314 #11 · Post your recent film shots!

Peter Figen wrote:
Los Lonely Boys are fantastic. If they're you're cousins that's a great way to get access. They will surely not say no. Just be prepared to go a fantastic job and don't go in with any expectations of whether they might actually any images.

I've done this a few times, but never with any relatives. Back in 1991 I contacted the management company for Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt and Robert Earl Keen, sent them a promo package and they agreed to let me photograph them near Fallon, Nv., which turned out to be an eight hour drive from
...Show more

Thank you very much, for the encouragement, I hope I can get the nerve! I kinda blundered an opportunity once in the past when they visited my grandma, I didn't know it, and I thought my sister was just jibing me! They will be performing here in around August since JoJo had to recover from an on stage accident! The thing is that i just started film, i have no flash, and no training other than self taught, and that ain't much! I just would wish it to come out more on the what is considered professional look! Dwight Yoakam is one of my favorite musician, I hope he comes through someday! It must've been neat to speak with him! Thanks again!

Mar 22, 2013 at 04:38 AM
Toni Pukarinen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.314 #12 · p.314 #12 · Post your recent film shots!

Kouvola. by Toni Pukarinen, on Flickr

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.314 #13 · p.314 #13 · Post your recent film shots!

Peter, fantastic portrait and great backing story. Being an avid outdoorsman and a fan of long walks (never nearly as far as Jim) that story really piqued my imagination. Thank you for sharing.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Guari
• • •
p.314 #14 · p.314 #14 · Post your recent film shots!

Great images, specially the guitar guy...

I am crossposting a couple images. All shot on a hassy with tmax400..

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.314 #15 · p.314 #15 · Post your recent film shots!

Peter Figen wrote:
Not a new shot but a new scan. Walkin' Jim Stoltz died a couple of years ago of cancer, but not before making a name taking long, really long walks, walks that lasted from weeks to years.....

Amazing image and story. Thanks for sharing this. It also reminds me that I need to hike the AT and the PCT before I die (or get too old to do it).

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.314 #16 · p.314 #16 · Post your recent film shots!

Jon,

Thanks. Jim was my kind of guy too. My longest day was probably a 17 mile hike in Glacier to Triple Divide Peak, but that would be just a warmup for Jim. I seem to remember him telling me that he had a Vasque boot sponsorship and would go through several pairs over a summer. I was so sad when I found he had died - someone so vital and healthy and fit. Hopefully I can start hiking again later this year after new knees.

Mar 23, 2013 at 01:18 AM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.314 #17 · p.314 #17 · Post your recent film shots!

My longest hike was about 16 or so miles, go lost (went down wrong trail) in the Great Smokies on a solo backpacking trip and decided to backtrack. Another day with a friend, got lost in a March snowstorm in the Nantahala range in N.C. and ended up hiking 12 or so miles in knee deep snow. I'm a past section hiker on the AT and do some sort of hiking most weekends.
Always sad when someone so full of life has it taken away before there time. Anyways, back to posting pics.

Here is one from the first roll of film I put through my reconditioned 1958 Yashica Mat LM about 3 years ago. Believe portra, processed and scanned at local camera shop back then. Car show on the square where I live.

Mar 23, 2013 at 04:09 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.314 #18 · p.314 #18 · Post your recent film shots!

Need some help from some of the film gurus on here.

I just started shooting film again recently. First couple of rolls of Portra 160 I shot with my wife's old Canon film Rebel were processed and scanned at NCPS and I was quite happy with the results...

Wanting to go totally manual I picked up a Yashica FX-3 and shot a roll of Portra 400, all with the C/Y 50 1.7. To test the Yashica's meter I compared it with my film Rebel and my dSLR - it seemed to be underexposing by about a stop so I shot the roll at ISO 200.

I had them processed and scanned at a local lab as I wanted to try them out and support a local place, but they look washed out and low contrast.

Is this because:

1. They are simply overexposed?
2. Problem with scanning/processing?
3. Problem with the film?
4. Some other issue?

Here are a few examples....

Scan without editing....

After editing in LR....

Scan without editing...

After editing in LR....

Here's one with minimal editing that I was pretty happy with...

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:02 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.314 #19 · p.314 #19 · Post your recent film shots!

Christmas dinner last year, OM-2n with Zuiko 50mm f/1.4, probably wide open, Tri-X exposed at ISO 800.

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.314 #20 · p.314 #20 · Post your recent film shots!

michael49 wrote:
I had them processed and scanned at a local lab as I wanted to try them out and support a local place, but they look washed out and low contrast.

Is this because:

1. They are simply overexposed?
2. Problem with scanning/processing?
3. Problem with the film?
4. Some other issue?

Can be any of the above, but from what I've heard, a very common problem these days is that some labs use the same chemicals way too long. Finding a good lab can be a challenge, and I would rather mail the film to someone I trust and wait a few days for the film than have it destroyed because the local lab can't make a profit doing quality work.

Avoiding the first three is rather simple:

1. Camera bodies are cheap these days. The last year, I've bought brand new in box Nikon F80 (N80), Contax 137 MA and Contax 137 MD for less than $100 each. Buy one that exposes properly.

2. I still do my scans on a 10 year old Epson 3200, and it does a decent job. Some of the cheaper flatbed scanners actually do a good job even on 35mm unless you want really large prints.

3. Buy film from reputable dealers. If there are none locally, http://www.freestylephoto.biz/ (USA) and http://www.fotoimpex.de/ (Europe) are excellent alternatives.

Edited on Mar 24, 2013 at 02:07 AM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:57 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password